Thread: 2008 GS SM5

Spyder Garage

Default 2008 GS SM5

Hello folks,

I recently have been reunited with my Spyder after about 3 years. I retired from the military and was in and out of the country alot...now I am settled down. My question is....what should I get done to my Spyder to get it back in good running condition? I know I need a new battery, as the one in it now is dead. Should I get fuel lines, spark plugs and the like replaced? I am sure I will need several updates as far as on-board electronics goes. Any suggestions or tips would be helpful. I am in Southern Maryland, so any motorcycle shop suggestions would be great too. Thanks.

Spyder Garage

Default Depends.....

How many miles, when was it last serviced, where and how was it stored, when did it last run..??...etc. Start with the battery then drain the fuel if any flush the tank and refill with clean gas and some sea foam, drain the oil and replace oil and the filter. Hook it all up and see what the computers say...hit the mode button and give it a go. Depending on those factors it may just fire up and purr like a kitten or you may have to dig deeper....fingers crossed it will start right up....
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Welcome back!
    The battery, ALL of the fluids, take a real close look at the condition of your tires, new plugs and wires (get them from BajaRon!)
    You might want to even pull whatever bodywork you can, and make sure that you've haven't had any mice making nests or meals out of the wiring...

Good luck; let us know how quickly the fires get re-kindled!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

[QUOTE=Chupaca;1230132]How many miles, when was it last serviced, where and how was it stored, when did it last run..??...etc. Start with the battery then drain the fuel if any flush the tank and refill with clean gas and some sea foam, drain the oil and replace oil and the filter. Hook it all up and see what the computers say...hit the mode button and give it a go. Depending on those factors it may just fire up and purr like a kitten or you may have to dig deeper....fingers crossed it will start right up....[/QUOTE

Hey there Chupaca....it has roughly 4000 miles on the clock. Wow..last time it was started? Probably around mid-2015. My wife used to start it and let it run, but she fell out of practice with that...not her fault as she was holding down the homefront. I will follow your suggestions and hopefully all will be well. I do know it needs a Gear Position Sensor. Thank you for the advice.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Welcome back!
    The battery, ALL of the fluids, take a real close look at the condition of your tires, new plugs and wires (get them from BajaRon!)
    You might want to even pull whatever bodywork you can, and make sure that you've haven't had any mice making nests or meals out of the wiring...

Good luck; let us know how quickly the fires get re-kindled!
    Good advice, thanks. I know critters will make a home wherever they can.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Let us know when you get it fired-up!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Thanks for your service. Good luck getting the spyder back on the road, hoping all goes well. Are you going to Rolling Thunder ( May 28th) Your so close. I plan on bringing the spyder down and ryding it. Maybe I will see you there.

http://www.rollingthunder1.com/
    2010 RTSM5

2010 RTSM5 , stock Stock Silver

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Hope you continue to enjoy the ride. It get's better every time in my opinion...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Zip View Post
    Thanks for your service. Good luck getting the spyder back on the road, hoping all goes well. Are you going to Rolling Thunder ( May 28th) Your so close. I plan on bringing the spyder down and ryding it. Maybe I will see you there.

http://www.rollingthunder1.com/
    I would love to ride in RT, but I am sure work will have me busy supporting all the other events in the DC metro area. Have fun though....I bet there will many a Spyder on the road that day.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Let us know when you get it fired-up!
    Will do sir!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SPYDERGUY1 View Post
    Hope you continue to enjoy the ride. It get's better every time in my opinion...
    I do too...I miss it. Plus its going to be great riding weather soon.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Back rest for. 2009 roadster

Where' can I find a driver's backrest for my 2009 GS SM5 Spyder OEM seat

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Turk182 View Post
    Where' can I find a driver's backrest for my 2009 GS SM5 Spyder OEM seat

From "Utopia" ( fitted one of these to mine & like it)

or "SmoothSpyder" ....He is a sponsor of this site & can be found on the HOME page at the top of the screen.

[Just a friendly reminder, you should have started your own thread & not inserted your question into someone else's.]
    Last edited by oldgoat; 03-05-2017 at 04:23 PM.
    2008 GS SM5, Full Moon Silver
    2007 Piaggio MP3 - 250cc

Spyder Garage

Lube the A-Arm bushings. After having to replace mine I tend to be a bit 'Fobic' about that generally overlooked chore. Yes, it is a pain! But not nearly the pain of replacement.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    Lube the A-Arm bushings. After having to replace mine I tend to be a bit 'Fobic' about that generally overlooked chore. Yes, it is a pain! But not nearly the pain of replacement.
    Thanks for the advice. hopefully they won't need replacing after being in my garage and enduring heat and cold changes for a few years. Now what would be the best lubricant for those bushings?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    I got where I just remove the trunk to grease mine. Way easier that way and not a big deal to remove the trunk on the RS.
    David

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Warlock View Post
    I got where I just remove the trunk to grease mine. Way easier that way and not a big deal to remove the trunk on the RS.
    David
    I will keep that in mind. Working smarter not harder..Thanks.

Spyder Garage

Default Back on the road

I just want to say thanks to everyone that gave some great tips and instructions while working to get my Spyder road worthy again. New battery, plugs and wires, purged and filled the clutch, oil change, and fresh coolant. Basically a tune up, but it did wonders. Prior to all that the gear indicator would jump around no matter what gear I was in. Now its stable...possibly a voltage issue with the battery. Anyway, I am back on the road and loving it. Thanks to all SpyderLovers!