Thread: Hitch

Spyder Garage

Cool Hitch

Has anyone used this hitch? What are your thoughts.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Can-Am-Spyde...-/361487631529
    2010 RTSM5

2010 RTSM5 , stock Stock Silver

Spyder Garage

It looks like the hitch made by Show Chrome. Personnel opinion is that the BRP trailer hitch just looks to be just made better than the show chrome hitch. Just my 2 cents.

2017 F3 Limited in Intense Red Pearl

2008 Triumph Rocket (SOLD)

2002 Honda VTX 1800 C ( SOLD)

2014 Triumph Thunderbird Commander

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Ex-Rocket View Post
    It looks like the hitch made by Show Chrome. Personnel opinion is that the BRP trailer hitch just looks to be just made better than the show chrome hitch. Just my 2 cents.
    The Show Chrome one has a bolt that runs through the axle, this one you remove the axle and put it on.
    2010 RTSM5

2010 RTSM5 , stock Stock Silver

Spyder Garage

I would get the other one that the axle doesn't have to be removed. The hitch that the axle doesn't need removal can be installed under 15 minutes.

2017 F3 Limited in Intense Red Pearl

2008 Triumph Rocket (SOLD)

2002 Honda VTX 1800 C ( SOLD)

2014 Triumph Thunderbird Commander

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

We worked on a Spyder last week that had the hitch that bolted on, as opposed to one with its own axle, and found that the washer that should be on the axle wouldn't fit and that the axle nut wasn't as tight as it should have been. Normally it takes a good bit of effort to loosen the nut and this one took no effort at all.

I would stick to the BRP hitch.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default THIS HITCH

Quote Originally Posted by Zip View Post
    Has anyone used this hitch? What are your thoughts.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Can-Am-Spyde...-/361487631529
    I don't personally have one , but I have seen them and they are certainly strong enough to do what you want. I agree it's a bit more work to put on but that's a one time thing. And if you follow the directions it will work as designed...... Someone here recently had the other type ( bolt thru the axel ) FAIL ........ Annnnd to answer another Poster here - what products don't FAIL if not put on correctly ...... even the BRP hitch will FAIL if you don't tighten the NUTS ............... Mike

Spyder Garage

It is close to my Big Bike Parts hitch. I have had no problem at all. I do like the plug bracket on the Ebay one. Between it and BRP hitch, it makes not much diffrence as you are talking a 400 lb max pull and a proper 10 pct hitch weight. (40 lbs max)
    If I can't fix it, I will fix it so no one can fix it. Sypder Loco!

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

If you're game to deal with the belt tracking and tension adjustment after installing it, go for it. If you want the less work install, go with the one with the thru-the-axle bolt. I have the one you're looking at. Here are my two threads about using it.

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...ighlight=hitch

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...ighlight=hitch

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Default Bought 2,, one for my rs and then one for my rt

Put both on my self, warning when you lift the back to get the pressure off the axle don't lift it too high or the belt will move the axle hole out of alignment, also you can get it cheaper if you wait for biding vs buy it now, got mine for less than $100.00 from them

Spyder Garage

Default I have one

I bought this one from Value Accessories just before SpyderFest last year. Loaded up Harbor Freight trailer and pulled it to Springfield with no problems at all. Friend of mine installed it.

Bob
    2015 RT Ltd SE6
    Intense Red
    BaJa Ron Torsion Bar
    BaJa Ron Shock Adjusters
    Premium Driver Seat Back Rest
    Diamond R Spyder Armrests and cup holders
    Wheel Aligment Squared Away
    Trailer Hitch Value Accessories
    Harbor Freight trailer black
    Stebel Nautilus Compact Mini Black
    139 decibel air horn
    Garmin GPS

Spyder Garage

Default Hitch

i have one on my 2015 RTS that I modified to bolt through the center of the axle. I originally had it on a 2012 RTS used the axle bolt. When I moved it to the 2015 I bought 5/8 threaded rod and made some end caps to bolt through the center of the axle. I thought the hitch would work the axle bolt loose and I would have to over torque the axle bolt the way it was originally mounted. The hitch does not move now.
    2013 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
    2017 Honda Pilot
    2018 Maverick Trail 1000 DPS
    2015 RTS SE6 Intense Red Pearl
    2014 35' Keystone Fuzion Impact Toyhauler
    Ultimate Seats passenger backrest, Adjustable wind deflectors, Minitrailer USA trailer, Can Am driver backrest, Corbin passenger armrests, after market hitch, DIY bump skid, LED turn indicaters, cup holders, frunk decal stripes, DIY GPS mount, DIY Gopro dash mount, aux 12v & USB outlets, DIY belt rock shield, BajaRon swaybar, frunk 12v outlet

Spyder Garage

Default I've got one too!

Easy to install and appears to be pretty strong. I can bounce up and down on it and it doesn't budge.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    I don't personally have one , but I have seen them and they are certainly strong enough to do what you want. I agree it's a bit more work to put on but that's a one time thing. And if you follow the directions it will work as designed...... Someone here recently had the other type ( bolt thru the axel ) FAIL ........ Annnnd to answer another Poster here - what products don't FAIL if not put on correctly ...... even the BRP hitch will FAIL if you don't tighten the NUTS ............... Mike
    It's not really a 'one time thing' because you have to remove it to perform many service procedures. I'd stick with the BRP one.... as an added bonus BRP can't give you any BS as long as you use your hitch... use a different one and have rear bearing/belt/sprocket issues and they may point the finger at your 3rd party hitch.

Spyder #1 - 2008 GS SM5 Premier Edition #1977. RIP after 80,000 miles.
    Spyder #2 - 2012 RT SM5. Traded in after 24,000 miles.
    Spyder #3 - 2015 F3 SM6. Put 13,000 miles on and sold it.
    Spyder #4 - 2017 F3 SM6. Too good of a deal to pass up!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

with Dan: BRP's hitch is solid, and comes with everything that you need.
    Including a lack of hassles; should things get ugly!
    What's that worth to you?
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Here's something to consider.

From BRP

Heavy-duty trailer hitch specifically designed for use with Can-Am Freedom Trailer. Patent pending impact-absorbing mechanical design ensures maximum trailer and vehicle performance and better comfort. Meets all stringent vehicle safety requirements. Integrated mud flap reduces damage from rock chips and other debris. Wiring components and full-function light control module included. Installs and removes easily. Only system on the market that maintains vehicle warranty requirements.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Amen...
    Thanks for posting this information.
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default HITCH REMOVAL

Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
    It's not really a 'one time thing' because you have to remove it to perform many service procedures. I'd stick with the BRP one.... as an added bonus BRP can't give you any BS as long as you use your hitch... use a different one and have rear bearing/belt/sprocket issues and they may point the finger at your 3rd party hitch.
    I'm curious as to what are the MANY service procedures this Hitch needs to be REMOVED for ???? ......plus the rear HOOP unbolts very easy if you feel that interferes with anything ..... jmho ..... Mike

Very Active Member Fatcycledaddy's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I'm curious as to what are the MANY service procedures this Hitch needs to be REMOVED for ???? ......plus the rear HOOP unbolts very easy if you feel that interferes with anything ..... jmho ..... Mike
    Looks like the Big Bike Parts hitch I put on. I have had not problems with it, didn't have to remove the axle to install, and Mike is right, two bolts per side removes the hoop. The only time I have had to remove mine was when I replaced the rear tire, everything else has been don with it in place.
    2020 RT Limited , Petrol Blue

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Lamonster View Post
    Here's something to consider.

From BRP

Heavy-duty trailer hitch specifically designed for use with Can-Am Freedom Trailer. Patent pending impact-absorbing mechanical design ensures maximum trailer and vehicle performance and better comfort. Meets all stringent vehicle safety requirements. Integrated mud flap reduces damage from rock chips and other debris. Wiring components and full-function light control module included. Installs and removes easily. Only system on the market that maintains vehicle warranty requirements.
    That's pretty much just a statement of the obvious. There is no way they are going to say their accessory will void a warranty of their vehicle. They do not, and cannot, say any other hitch will void the warranty. If BRP can show a third party hitch was the cause of a failure, they can deny coverage for that failure.

From the Magnusun-Moss Warranty Act: 15 USC 2302 (c)

(c) Prohibition on conditions for written or implied
    warranty; waiver by Commission
    No warrantor of a consumer product may condition
    his written or implied warranty of such
    product on the consumer’s using, in connection
    with such product, any article or service
    (other
    than article or service provided without charge
    under the terms of the warranty) which is identified
    by brand, trade, or corporate name;
    except
    that the prohibition of this subsection may be
    waived by the Commission if—
    (1) the warrantor satisfies the Commission
    that the warranted product will function properly
    only if the article or service so identified
    is used in connection with the warranted product,
    and
    (2) the Commission finds that such a waiver
    is in the public interest.
    [Bolding added by me.]

In other words, BRP cannot require only a BRP branded hitch be used in order to maintain the warranty. If they wanted to, they could probably say the use of ANY hitch will void the drive train warranty, but of course they aren't going to do that.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Tire changes and bearing replacements come to mind... basically anything you need to remove the rear tire for.
    I did MANY tire changes due to riding a lot.....
    With my RT I usually kept the BRP hitch off when not using the trailer since it only takes a few minutes to put it on. The 'thru the axel' mounting is great IMO.

Spyder #1 - 2008 GS SM5 Premier Edition #1977. RIP after 80,000 miles.
    Spyder #2 - 2012 RT SM5. Traded in after 24,000 miles.
    Spyder #3 - 2015 F3 SM6. Put 13,000 miles on and sold it.
    Spyder #4 - 2017 F3 SM6. Too good of a deal to pass up!

Spyder Garage

Default Hitches

I went with Pierre's from spyder tv hitch, Its a pretty robust unit, I did have a bolt failed due to it not being threaded down far enough. would buy this same hitch again ....