Very Active Member armyspydervet's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Wheels Seized to Hubs

Has anyone had their wheels seize to their hubs? I recently had my wheels powdercoated. When i got them back, I put them back on and thought nothing of it. Today, I went to install Lamont's center caps, they were locked on there. I tried everything to get them off. Eventually, they came off by me literally getting on the ground while my wife held the handlebars and kicking the "crap" out of the tire with my heal. Now I'm worried I off-set my alignment. Has this happened to anyone else? Do you think it would have knocked the alignment out of whack?
    Last edited by armyspydervet; 02-26-2017 at 04:58 PM.
    Chris

2016 F3-T SE6

Spyder Garage

Chances are you have powder coat inside where your lug studs go. That will make them hard to get off.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Av8er View Post
    Chances are you have powder coat inside where your lug studs go. That will make them hard to get off.
    No, they put power coat on the back where the wheel touches the hub. I googled it and it's a chemical reaction with whatever is in the powder coat and steel. I got them off and put some anti-seize on the back, but getting them off required some brute force with the bottom of my boot. I'm just worried I knocked it so hard it threw off my alignment. I'll probably get another one just in case.
    Chris

2016 F3-T SE6

Very Active Member Roadster Renovations's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Most alignment guys don't charge if the alignment is correct. Cost nothing to check if it is right.

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Was the backside of the wheels powder coated where they contact the hub, or powder coated inside the lug holes? If so, maybe the hub got hot enough during braking to soften the powder coat and thus caused the wheels to 'glue' themselves to the hub.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Default Relax

Had one like that yesterday! Ann removed the lugs and could not get the wheel off! I have a massive slide hammer, and got it off, then used a scotch bright pad to clean it all up. This was an alignment recheck, and the bike was fine. I doubt you could have kicked hard enough to spoil the alignment. Remove both front wheels, clean everything, put back on. If it acts squirrelly, I'll check it for you! The factory coating seems flaky and peels off. Those flakes make it hard to remove the wheel. Poor Powdercoat quality!
    Joe Meyer

Dealer for the Outlaw/ROLO laser Alignment system

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by armyspydervet View Post
    ..... I'm just worried I knocked it so hard it threw off my alignment.....
    That's pretty unlikely, unless maybe you are prone to turning green when you get angry & then your muscles expand so much that they rip thru the seams of all your clothes!! (except your shorts of course - wouldn't want to scare the kiddies!!)

Like others have said tho ^^ it's really unlikely that you've kicked it anywhere hard enough to do that - besides, the reason a hard knock on the kerb or hitting a pot-hole can sometimes knock your wheel alignment out is because the other wheel is involved & your Spyder is generally moving at more than a walking pace when that has any effect too!! Apart from the significantly lesser force you can create over that which the momentum of your Spyder moving at any speed imposes; you kicking on just one side at a time is more likely to move the other side wheel in sympathy than it is to bend or over-stress anything in between or involved in the w/a, so there's really no need to worry!

And besides, with that kind offer from CptJam, what've you got to lose?!?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by cptjam View Post
    Had one like that yesterday! Ann removed the lugs and could not get the wheel off! I have a massive slide hammer, and got it off, then used a scotch bright pad to clean it all up. This was an alignment recheck, and the bike was fine. I doubt you could have kicked hard enough to spoil the alignment. Remove both front wheels, clean everything, put back on. If it acts squirrelly, I'll check it for you! The factory coating seems flaky and peels off. Those flakes make it hard to remove the wheel. Poor Powdercoat quality!
    Was that Steve's?

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black
    Bought June 2013 with 450 miles. 27K on 8-1-2017.
    Farkles - DIY Trunk Break Light, HMT Break Light, DIY Mirror Turn Signal Lights, DIY Bluetooth Dongle, DIY iPod Setup, DIY Alarm System Install, Show Chrome front fender / rear saddle bag lights, 4th break light around the trunk, Vented Windshield, Baja Ron Sway Bar, DIY GPS setup, Smooth Spyder, BRP Chrome Mirrors, Adjustable deflectors, Triaxis handlebars, NVB Pegs, Bad Boy Airhorn... More to come
    2011 RT-S SM5 , Baja Ron Black

Spyder Garage

I've had this happen with aluminum wheels on cars also. It's not just the powder coating causing it; it's electrolysis. The contacting of two dissimilar metals causes corrosion and tends to bond the materials together. If you put a little anti-seize on the mating surfaces it will eliminate the problem.
    2011 RTS (Sold to a very nice lady)
    1998 Honda Valkyrie
    2006 Mustang GT. Varooooom!
    US Navy Veteran
    SC Law Enforcement Boat Captain
    CNC Machine Service Technician
    President: Rolling Thunder SC1
    Member: Disabled American Veterans, Rock Hill, SC
    Member: American Legion
    Experience is recognizing the same mistake every time you make it!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by finless View Post
    Was that Steve's?

Bob
    Yes it was
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Aawen View Post
    That's pretty unlikely, unless maybe you are prone to turning green when you get angry & then your muscles expand so much that they rip thru the seams of all your clothes!! (except your shorts of course - wouldn't want to scare the kiddies!!)

Like others have said tho ^^ it's really unlikely that you've kicked it anywhere hard enough to do that - besides, the reason a hard knock on the kerb or hitting a pot-hole can sometimes knock your wheel alignment out is because the other wheel is involved & your Spyder is generally moving at more than a walking pace when that has any effect too!! Apart from the significantly lesser force you can create over that which the momentum of your Spyder moving at any speed imposes; you kicking on just one side at a time is more likely to move the other side wheel in sympathy than it is to bend or over-stress anything in between or involved in the w/a, so there's really no need to worry!

And besides, with that kind offer from CptJam, what've you got to lose?!?
    Funny thing is, once I got them off the first time, I put the center caps on and remounted the wheels. Went inside and did some internet research and decided to go to the store and buy some anti-seize. When I got back to remove the wheels, they were stuck again! I didn't even take the Spyder out of the garage. They seized just from the pressure of tightening the lug nuts. After a few more kicks, I un-seized them again and put the anti-seize on.
    Chris

2016 F3-T SE6

Spyder Garage

Default I don't believe so

I doubt you could have generated enough force with just your leg to have knocked the tires out of wack. I suspect it would have taken way more force than that.
    Greg Kamer
    "It's better to be not riding and wishing you were than be riding and wishing you weren't."

USAF, 20 years, retired
    Sheriff's Office, 23 years, retired

2018 Can Am Spyder RT-Limited

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by armyspydervet View Post
    Funny thing is, once I got them off the first time, I put the center caps on and remounted the wheels. Went inside and did some internet research and decided to go to the store and buy some anti-seize. When I got back to remove the wheels, they were stuck again! I didn't even take the Spyder out of the garage. They seized just from the pressure of tightening the lug nuts. After a few more kicks, I un-seized them again and put the anti-seize on.
    Wow!
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

SpyderLovers Sponsor
    Spyder Garage

If there was any powder coat on the inside of the wheel center bore, that could have been the cause of your issue. The clearance between the wheel center bore and the hub is very small and the addition of any thickness in that area would make it a friction fit.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ppawheels View Post
    If there was any powder coat on the inside of the wheel center bore, that could have been the cause of your issue. The clearance between the wheel center bore and the hub is very small and the addition of any thickness in that area would make it a friction fit.
    Yes, unfortunately, they powder coated everything. They did a pretty good job, but they should have left the part that touches the hub bare. Doing my internet research, it seems its pretty common if a powder coat company doesn't know your not supposed to cover the area touching the hub. I'm no scientist, but something about the reaction between the powder used and the steel hub.

Lesson learned. Thanks for everyone's input
    Chris

2016 F3-T SE6