Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2017 F3 or RT

Spyder Garage

Default 2017 F3 or RT

Hello I'm looking at both the F3T Limited and the RT seeing this will be my first touring cruiser by Can Am I'm looking for any input. I live in NY so I haven't been out on one yet for a test ride. Just wondering if any of you seasoned riders have any pro's or con's
    Thanks Much
    2016 RT Limited , White

Spyder Garage

I just traded my 2015 Rt-S for a 2017 F3-limited. I will say for me the big differences are the windshields and the U-Fit system. The sidebags and rear bag are not as sturdy as the RT. I love that the F3 has put a USB and audio cable that will work through the radio so I can listen to Pandora or Sirius. I only have about 50 miles on it but I love that it is lower to the ground and handles better.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

2017 Can Am Spyder F3-Limited

Lamonster front fender LED light kit, Madstad adjustable windshield, Lidlox Helmet Lock, Techmount phone mount

Previous 2015 Can Am Spyder RT-SE6

Bajaron Sway Bar w/links, Rivco Dual trunk mounted flag poles, Custom Dynamics Long Amber Brightsides, Custom Dynamics Long Red Brightsides, Custom Dynamics LED RT HMT Brake Light w/Magic Strobes Brake Light Flasher, Techmount phone mount

Spyder Garage

Nothing we say here will beat a test ride of both bikes. I have a 2014 RTS, looking to trade to a F3T in the next couple of weeks. Selectng a good dealer is so important, for additional information call Pitbull Powersports Springfield, Mo "417-863-1418". These guys ride and understand everything SPYDER, will provide true vaule.

Spyder Garage

Default Curious. ....

Not knowing where your coming from the test ryde will make all the difference. But here is the way it breaks down... The RT is your winger/touring type choice of ryde while the F3 is your sport/cruiser types choice. So to say....F3 is your sports car and the RT is your town car....
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

We have just switched from the RTL to the F3L and the seating position was the game changer for us. The feet forward position on the F3 is way more comfortable for the knees and hips. The ease of adjustments on the F3 is a big plus. Try to get a long test ride on each.
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Spyder Garage

If you ride solo, you can't beat the F3 Limited. If you ride two up, you'd better get their input on the comfort and security.
    2020 Chalk, RT Limited, Dark and matching RT622 trailer and BRP hitch. BRP Drivers Backrest, Auxiliary Light, Garmin Zumo XT, GPS Support, RT Rear Panel and Travel Cover. Spyderpops LEDs on fenders, mirrors, saddlebags, top case and RT rear panel. Spyderpops Rock Guard. BajaRon Swaybar, Wolo Bad Boy horn, Freedom Windshield, Elka Shocks.
    2020 RT Limited , Chalk

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

If you're riding two-up: you had best get some input from "The Boss" about the rear seating accommodations.
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I guess I'm the odd one out, here, but I can't stand the forward footing, torso leaning and stretch for the grips that the F3 causes me. I think the comparison has a lot to do with one's height. It seems the F3 causes shorties like me (5'2") to be folded up horizontally (think bobby pin), and the RT causes tallies to feel scrunched up vertically. But, like the others have said, only test rides will tell. Good luck!

2015 Sypder RT-S SE6
    2016 Polaris Sportsman 570 ATV
    2003 F250 SuperDuty
    American Saddlebred Horses

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I also prefer to have my feet just a little bit more underneath me...
    If I'm gonna sit like I'm in my easy chair: I would want the TV remote in my left hand!
    (Which reminds me: the Daytona 500 happens this afternoon! )

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by michrick View Post
    Hello I'm looking at both the F3T Limited and the RT seeing this will be my first touring cruiser by Can Am I'm looking for any input. I live in NY so I haven't been out on one yet for a test ride. Just wondering if any of you seasoned riders have any pro's or con's
    Thanks Much
    Take a test ride on both( F3 T Limited and the RT) go with the 1330 Ace engine ( you have plenty of power even riding 2- up, or towing a trailer) The 1330 Ace engine has higher- torque response in every gear and 40 % more low-end torque. Ride up to 252 miles on one tank of gas.

Also, you might want to check "Arctic Adventures @ 2050 Route 32 Rosendale. Ulster County , New York ( phone # 845-658-8844). Good luck! Report back here on your decision. Deanna

Current Spyder - 2023 F3 LTD Special Mineral Blue

Red LED NANO Saddlebag Marker Lights with Full Illumination
    Sequential Fender LED'S (Amber/Red) with Safety Reflector
    Dual Power Plate (12 V & USB ports)
    Gremlin Bell
    Rear Trunk Organizer (4 holders, 2 Elastic Holders)
    Lamonster "Top Cuff" with adjustable drink Holder
    SpyderPops Missing Guard Belt
    Console Accent Trim (Carbon Fiber Domed Black)
    Ultimate F3 Floorboards
    Front Fairing Service Access Door Covers (Carbon Fiber Doomed Black)
    Sway Bar with Links
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Half Cover
    A-Arm Daytime Dual Color LED Running Lights with Blinker Module
    Hi-Viz DRL and Sequential Mirrors lights
    Marinco 12Volt Power Receptacle with polarized leads & slide lock
    Show chrome Trunk Shock

Former Spyder - 2014 RTS SE6 Cognac SOLD

Spyder Garage

Thanks All I will be coming off a 2012 Victory XCT and going into the Spyder. I plan to test ride both models and I could tell just from sitting on them the seats were a bit different. It's a big choice when your dropping that kind of cash. I do want the new 3 cylinder engine due to the new heat management but I wouldn't think it effects the F-3 as much as the RT model. Thanks again
    2016 RT Limited , White

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

How far are you from Deposit, NY?
    My dealer is up in Walton, and it's just a nice short ride to get down to Deposit.

Spyder Garage

A thorough test drive of the RT seems to be in order for you. They are not for everyone.

I am on my third RT--and--I like em! I previously owned two early GS/RS versions. They were to much like "crotch rockets" for me. When RT came out in 2010, I jumped on the premier edition and never looked back.

I have went so far as to "test sit" the F3. For me, I do not like the feel of the "cruiser" position on the F3. The ergos just do not feel right to me. And, I came from many actual cruiser bikes--which I liked. Until they come up with a different configuration that I like, I am sticking with my RT's.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

I have had four RTs and now have an F3 limited. for long rides 400+ miles in a day the RT is the way to go, for shorter rides my choice is the F3, my wife will tell you that anything over 150 miles for her and she prefers the RT (as a passenger)

Cruzr Joe
    2018 F3 Limited, BRP Driver Backrest, Spyderpops Lighted Bump Skid, Dual Spyclops Light, Mirror Turn Signals, Laser Alignment, Engine LEDs, Fog Lights With Halo's, Cushion Handgrips, BRT LEDs, and Under Lighting, Lamonster IPS, (with Clock), F4 25" Vented Windshield with Wings, Airhawk "R" Cushions. Position 4 Brake setting, Short reach Handlebars, Dash Mounted Voltmeter and 12 Volt Plug. Set of 3rd pegs. Extended Passenger Seat. Exterior BRP Connect setup, Ultimate Trailer

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    I also prefer to have my feet just a little bit more underneath me...
    If I'm gonna sit like I'm in my easy chair: I would want the TV remote in my left hand!
    (Which reminds me: the Daytona 500 happens this afternoon! )
    Bob who,s your pick for the 500? I have only been to one NASCAR race and the best driver was killed that day.I like Jr but rooting for a Toyota Driver.
    Bill
    2018 RT Anniversary , Brake pedal extended

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I just got done watching it... I hadn't picked Kurt Busch, but he earned it!
    The two guys that I liked the best (Larson & Elliott), both ran out of gas!

Spyder Garage

OPINIONS OPINIONS

RIDINF 2 UP TEST RIDE BOTH FOR BOTH OF YOU

Spyder Garage

Bob I'm about 2.5 hours west of you I plan on riding the F3 and a RT model both 2up the dealer is holding the F3 for me till the weather permits me riding them The RT is that Champagne color the F3 is Pearl White
    2016 RT Limited , White

Spyder Garage

Default F3

I've had 2 RTS' and tried both factory and comfort seats. Then test rode an F3 for a week while mine was at the dealer
    I found I could spend twice as much time in the saddle of the F3.
    So traded to an F3 2weeks ago. I love it.
    Monique,
    2016 F3t pearl white
    Ultimate driver back rest
    12v power outlet for batt. tender
    Doc Humphries' vibration damper
    factory floorboards
    added topcase

Spyder Garage

Default If you're riding over a hundred miles 2 UP, better go the RT

You may love the ride from the Drivers seat on the F3, but if you want to share, go with the RT. Wife and I have put over 140,000 miles on RT's with only about 20% of that being two up. I would not want to ride as passenger very far on the F3 and I have been spoiled with the "armchair" catbird seating of the RT and enjoy being passenger when we travel 2-up. Having said that, I just picked up the wife's new F3T as she prefers to ride one up and the "sport/cruiser mode. I must say that riding to the dealer on the RT was better shielded at 40 F and spitting snow, than the trip home on the F3T and just over 40 F and no precip. I think she's gonna like the sporty ride of the F3... maybe I can beg some time on it when the weather warms up.
    2015 RT , OEM Black Gloss

Spyder Garage

Yes the driver isn't as protected from the elements on the F3 as on the RT and that could be an issue in NY state.
    2016 RT Limited , White

Spyder Garage

Looks like I'm leaning towards a leftover 2016 RT Limited in Pearl White the place is going to knock close to 6 grand off it
    2016 RT Limited , White

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

on making a good choice, and don't forget to post pictures of it!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Copperman View Post
    If you ride solo, you can't beat the F3 Limited. If you ride two up, you'd better get their input on the comfort and security.

2 up is more comfortable for the passenger on the RT and the longer the ride the better it is.

Cruzr Joe
    2018 F3 Limited, BRP Driver Backrest, Spyderpops Lighted Bump Skid, Dual Spyclops Light, Mirror Turn Signals, Laser Alignment, Engine LEDs, Fog Lights With Halo's, Cushion Handgrips, BRT LEDs, and Under Lighting, Lamonster IPS, (with Clock), F4 25" Vented Windshield with Wings, Airhawk "R" Cushions. Position 4 Brake setting, Short reach Handlebars, Dash Mounted Voltmeter and 12 Volt Plug. Set of 3rd pegs. Extended Passenger Seat. Exterior BRP Connect setup, Ultimate Trailer

Spyder Garage

Default RT for me

I traded my 2011 RT for a 2017 RT and as much as I loved the 2011 the 2017 is more greater as they say. I test rode the other didn't feel comfortable to be I couldn't get settled on it. Just my input
    Loving the RYDE