Spyder Garage

Default PTT to Garage Opener

2013 RTL
    I keep my garage opener in the glove box because I haven't found the perfect place to install a push button for it.
    I'm already using the center space in the cluster below the handle bar for a USB plug and I'm trying not to drill holes on any of the panels. So, I'd like to re-purpose what's there with the minimum cost.

Would it be possible to convert the PTT button for that? I don't use it at all.

Thanks!
    Julio Aburto

Black Currant 2013 Can-Am Spyder RT Limited

2013 RTL , Black Currant

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Yes probably.
    BUT.....you need to know a little bit about electrical circuits AND how to work a multi-meter.

I just took mine and forced the "sun visor bracket" into the safety card slot, with the opener below the overhang.

Works very good. Might not survive a monsoon rain event but it stays perfectly dry in normal rain showers.

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

The PTT switch operates contacts on a circuit board. It is not a conventional switch. There's a thread here somewhere about using the PTT for some other purpose. It can be done but it's not a task for the faint of heart. I suggest you suppress your desire for perfectly clean unadulterated dash plastic, drill a hole, and install a switch. Your RT is now 6 years old so one little hole and switch will not affect resale, if and when you sell it! Actually, if you mount the switch in one of the speaker grills you can replace the grill later if you want.

I have my garage door opener sealed in plastic and resting under the body plastic on the left side with a switch mounted in the panel to the right of the handlebar opening.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Here's another option you might want to consider. I've done it for several motorcycles. I wired my garage door remote to my high beam lights so that when i was near my garage door and flicked my high beams my garage door would open. I hid the remote inside my light housing. I've not done this for my RT as I don't have an electric garage door on my barn. I don't see why it wouldn't work on a Spyder.

Rob
    2015 RT-Ltd SE6 and F3S SE6, both with a number of commercial add-ons plus my own tweaks.

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Here's a good reference discussion about the PTT.
    https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...-CB-PTT-BUTTON

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Thank you!
    That's exactly what I was looking for.
    Seems like i'm going to dismantle that thing to take a closer look and see is I can just unplug it and then solder the wires I need. As long as the computer doesn't start giving codes because it can't find the PTT any more I should be fine.

Thanks again. I'll make sure to post my findings.
    Julio Aburto

Black Currant 2013 Can-Am Spyder RT Limited

2013 RTL , Black Currant

Spyder Garage

I carry a small garage door remote in my jacket pocket. Pull it out as I arrive, Put it on the tank as the door opens and leave it there. Upon leaving, I use it to close the door and place it in my pocket.
    Ours is a red, black and chrome 2017 F3 Limited. Bought new in 2/2019. The avatar is my first bike back in 1952, a Simplex Servi-Cycle. Photo taken at the Barber Museum.
    2017 F3 Limited , Red, Black & Chrome

Spyder Garage

I went to Lowes and got a keychain remote for our opener. It is small and light, I used industrial strength velcro and attached it to the dash visor under the safety card. That velcro is strong, had a time getting it out for the picture to show the size next to the RTL key.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2018 Can Am Spyder RT Limited, 2013 Triumph Bonneville T100
    Motorcycle Rights: AMA Charter Life Member, MRF, FORR Life Member Local 11 Southwest Missouri, Mid-South MILE organizing committee member
    2018 RT Limited , Got one, on, then off then on until Gloria decides if she likes it or not. blue

Spyder Garage

I just have Management get off and open the garage door, sheesh guys.
    2015 RT-S Special Series , Stock Spark Plugs Brake Pedal Extension Cherry Red/Black

Spyder Garage

I just jam my garage door opener in where the silly safety card is, by sliding the clip in. No one sees it, it doesn't get wet, and it's always at the ready.

2017 Can-Am Spyder RT

Spyder Garage

I just Velcroed the opener to the rear sidewall of the glove box; works fine.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S