Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: MAGIC MIRRORS

Spyder Garage

I struggle with taking my mirrors off every time I have to. I am sure looking forward to getting both sets that I ordered. 1 set for my wife's RT and 1 for mine! Thanks Russ for making this possible!
    USAF MSgt, Retired
    2018 F3 Intense Red
    Squared Away Lasar alignment, TricLED Headlights, Foglights,Safety Bundle with Turn Module, BajaRon Sway Bar,Squared Away Mirror Wedges, Stebel Air Horn, Dash Turn Indicators, TricLED USA Flag
    2018 F3L , Intense Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by taxmyzer View Post
    Hey Bob you think you'll have them before you hit 80k posts?
    I sure HOPE so...

It's not the number of the posts... That only proves that I'm noisy.
    What I really hope... is that there might be some quality in some of them.

Truthfully; I don't look at the numbers all that much.
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Default Magic Mirror Kit Installed - super easy!

Quote Originally Posted by Jim&Teresa View Post
    We just got back after our ride to a MN Spyderlovers get together.....and they were in our mailbox in a soft packet. In the packet, there is a box with all of the parts. It's "neat" to see the return address of Tasmania!! Thanks Russell!
    I thought I would pass this on .....I do not own a 13MM deep well socket, so I found that a 1/2 inch deep well socket (thin wall) worked perfectly to remove the 3 mounting pins on each side.

The install went great and was super easy! Time will tell if they hold the mirrors through all the bumps, vibrations, etc.....seem to hold them on tight. Package contained the "perfect" amount of parts which is always great.

I must confess......I utilized this video more than reading the instructions!

Last edited by Jim&Teresa; 04-02-2017 at 05:10 PM.
    Happy and safe rydin'
    2014 Spyder RT Limited - January 2014, Cognac/Black Seat, #958, born on 1-8-14
    2014 RT Limited , Cognac

Spyder Garage

Default Order #965.......

Package arrived today from Australia. Thanks Russ. Installing later this week.

Spyder Garage

Hey guys, how do I best get this across?? Let's try this way..

You

REALLY

DO NOT

need or want to use locktite on the screws holding these magnets on - if you do, there's a very good chance at some stage down track you'll not be able to remove them again without destroying the Phillips head on the screw, or if you've left the screws in place long enough, maybe even having to drill them out to remove them!! Your Spyder is not a Harley, it doesn't vibrate everything apart! These screws WILL remain firmly affixed if you 'just nip them up only' as per the instructions, & then DO NOT OVERTIGHTEN - OR USE LOCKTITE!

While the screws themselves are 'less magnetic' than plain iron/steel due to the material they are made of, they are still somewhat capable of accepting a magnetic field, especially if you leave them there over time (as you will) & the magnets are pretty damn strong!! So by just running the screw thru the magnet & into the plate behind it, effectively only finger tight, ie 'just nipped up' as per the instructions, it allows the magnet to fix the screw in place a fair bit harder than any of the normal blue locktite or 'screw fix' stuff you might use anyway - but then by adding some 'real' locktite & then leaving it there for a while as well as letting the magnetism do it's thing & also letting a bit of oxidisation get to work on the metals (as it invariably will) it is very likely to bind the screw in place far better than leaving it swimming for 20 years in a saline bath!! So if you want to create real problems for yourself down track, just add some locktite to the magnet holding screws!

So I'd stongly suggest that anyone who HAS used locktite on those screws holding the magnets in place goes back & cleans the locktite off with the appropriate solvent; because it doesn't take a heap of time for the locktite to set hard/tight & then not much more for the magnetism & naturally occurring oxidisation to develop enough that the phillips head screw will become impossible to remove without stripping the head & making it necessary to drill the screw out!! Note, I used the word IMPOSSIBLE in there on purpose; not 'difficult'; not even 'a right pain in the arse', but IMPOSSIBLE!! Anyone want to ask me how I know??!

So.... how else can we make this absolutely clear to you all?

You do NOT need to add any locktite to the magnet holding screws
    , & if you do, you WILL be fixing those screws into place pretty much permanently once everything's set & some time has passed, which could be a major problem down track if you ever need to remove the tupperware or the lights!! And besides, if you keep all the bits you remove & follow the Magic Mirror instructions for fitting (without adding Locktite), then if you happen to sell that Spyder down track some time, you can always whip the Magics off & replace the OE stuff so you can transfer your Magics on to your next Spyder!! Win/Win!!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 04-03-2017 at 05:54 PM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Spyder Garage

Default only 324 posts till 80k

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Keep going BOB!

Ride safe!
    2022 Sea-T0-Sky

Spyder Garage

Smile Sometimes, it honestly takes BFH to make your point

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Aawen View Post
    Hey guys, how do I best get this across?? Let's try this way..

You

REALLY

DO NOT

need or want to use locktite on the screws holding these magnets on - if you do, there's a very good chance you'll never be able to remove them again without destroying the Phillips head on the screw, or if you've left the screws in place long enough, maybe even having to drill them out to remove them!! Your Spyder is not a Harley, it doesn't vibrate everything apart! These screws WILL remain firmly affixed if you 'just nip them up only' as per the instructions, & then DO NOT OVERTIGHTEN - OR USE LOCKTITE!

While the screws themselves are 'less magnetic' than plain iron/steel due to the material they are made of, they are still somewhat capable of accepting a magnetic field, especially if you leave them there over time (as you will) & the magnets are pretty damn strong!! So by just running the screw thru the magnet & into the plate behind it, effectively only finger tight, or 'just nipped up' as per the instructions, it allows the magnet to fix the screw in place a fair bit harder than any of the normal blue locktite or 'screw fix' stuff you might use anyway - but then by adding some 'real' locktite & then leaving it there for a while as well as letting the magnetism do it's thing & also letting a bit of oxidisation get to work on the metals (as it invariably will) it is very likely to bind the screw in place far better than leaving it swimming for 20 years in a saline bath!! So if you want to create real problems for yourself down track, just add some locktite to the magnet holding screws!

So I'd stongly suggest that anyone who HAS used locktite on those screws holding the magnets in place goes back & cleans the locktite off with the appropriate solvent; because it doesn't take a heap of time for the locktite to set hard/tight & then not much more for the magnetism & naturally occurring oxidisation to develop enough that the phillips head screw will become impossible to remove without stripping the head & making it necessary to drill the screw out!! Note, I used the word IMPOSSIBLE in there on purpose; not 'difficult'; not even 'a right pain in the arse', but IMPOSSIBLE!! Anyone want to ask me how I know??!

So.... how else can we make this absolutely clear to you all?

You do NOT need to add any locktite to the magnet holding screws
    , & if you do, you WILL be fixing those screws into place pretty much permanently, which could be a major problem down track if you ever need to remove the tupperware or the lights!! And besides, if you keep all the bits you remove & follow the Magic Mirror instructions for fitting (without adding Locktite), then if you happen to sell that Spyder down track some time, you can always whip the Magics off & replace the OE stuff so you can transfer your Magics on to your next Spyder!! Win/Win!!
    images.jpeg

Identify what you have control over and find peace with what you don't.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Jim&Teresa View Post
    I thought I would pass this on .....I do not own a 13MM deep well socket, so I found that a 1/2 inch deep well socket (thin wall) worked perfectly to remove the 3 mounting pins on each side.

The install went great and was super easy! Time will tell if they hold the mirrors through all the bumps, vibrations, etc.....seem to hold them on tight. Package contained the "perfect" amount of parts which is always great.

I must confess......I utilized this video more than reading the instructions!

Jim,

I agree these are super easy to install and I used an open end 13mm wrench. I like how tite these hold the mirrors to the body, much better then the stock setup. The written instructions are also easy to follow!

Les
    2021 Sea To Sky, 2020 RTL

Isn't it weird that in AMERICA our flag and our culture offend so many people......
    but our benefits don't?
    2015 F3S , White & Blue

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    It's not the number of the posts... That only proves that I'm noisy.
    What I really hope... is that there might be some quality in some of them.
    There are two undeniable aspects of life - fantasy and reality! How that applies in this case is for you and others to decide!

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by trikermutha View Post
    And plan on using the correct loctite . BrP put loctite on the stock application and have no problem removing the hardware now. I can still remove the screw with the magnet . You can do as you wish. I don't want unforeseen issues just in case. A ounce of prevention can't hurt anyone. JMO
    You do realise how much development Russ, Peter and others put into the design, stress testing and road testing of these mirrors, Trikermutha? I would certainly be following their advice rather than "doing my own thing", but of course it's your call.
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Watch out on that top magnet! The magnet diameter is large enough that it WILL sit on top of the tupperware tab. If you tighten it too much you will cock the magnet and then it won't make proper contact with the plate on the mirror body. In Russ's video he says the tupperware must be just loose enough to move under the magnet. This is the tab where you take the screw out, toss the washer, and reinstall with the tether loop under the screw.

I thought there was an interference issue and was about ready to cut the tupperware tab back but I decided to watch his video again.

This is what it looks like.

Magic Mirror tab interference 2.jpg

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

.... and have no problem removing the hardware now. I can still remove the screw with the magnet . You can do as you wish. I don't want unforeseen issues just in case. A ounce of prevention can't hurt anyone. JMO
    NOW is not the issue - besides, the only 'unforseen issue' that is quite likely to occur if you've added locktite is that some months or even years maybe(?!) down track when the screws have been in place for a while & they are not only held in very firmly by the magnets (differently certainly, but probably even firmer in the first place than if you were using locktite alone on a screw with no magnets involved) & some oxidisation has occurred (as it will!) & you find you need/want to remove the tupperware or headlights only to discover that there is now absobloodylutely no way to get those screws out without stuffing the heads or by drilling them out...

But yeah, you are completely correct, you can do as you wish, & adding yet another ounce of prevention on top of the already 'more than sufficient' gallon of prevention that's been designed into the product can't possibly hurt... can it??

Just don't ever complain that you weren't warned!!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 04-03-2017 at 12:15 AM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoMtnSpyder View Post
    Watch out on that top magnet! The magnet diameter is large enough that it WILL sit on top of the tupperware tab. If you tighten it too much you will cock the magnet and then it won't make proper contact with the plate on the mirror body. In Russ's video he says the tupperware must be just loose enough to move under the magnet. This is the tab where you take the screw out, toss the washer, and reinstall with the tether loop under the screw.

I thought there was an interference issue and was about ready to cut the tupperware tab back but I decided to watch his video again.

This is what it looks like.

Magic Mirror tab interference 2.jpg
    thats right
    after you nip up the magnet,the tupperware tab should(will) still move. we fitted up a dozen magics at the muster on the weekend and all tabs were free. if the tab is trapped the magnet cant sit flat. this is why we remove the washer too. also the reason for the black spacer

Just back from our annual muster (around 50 RT'S) and fitted around 12 kits.As things were getting a little hectic what with magics and wheel alignments,some buyers did their own installs and we in the know checked over them at the finish.Here are some mistakes that were made (no one was using eddys system or reading the instructions)

1. the mirror didnt close
    we found the top tab washer had been left in place....if you follow the instructions it says to remove the top washer first.Then having done one side,you move to the second mirror and its all getting a bit rote.So we dont need to follow the instructions anymore and we forget to remove the washer first...i will amend the instructions to say"first remove both mirrors....then remove both washres".....

2. we checked one fitters R.I.P. bag after the install and found......one steel tab washer and one black spacer.......he had placed the steel washer he removed from the tab, under the magnet instead of the black plastic spacer...he put said steel washer in the worst possible place..under the top magnet
    obviously the tab would have been trapped had he checked it, as the black spacer is thicker than the tupperware tab but the steel washer is not
    lesson is to be tidy and organised and when finished to check the parts left over....should be 6 plastic receivers oem,6 steel pins and 2 steel washers in the bag

3.buyer presented with assembled magnet on the screw ready to fit to bike
    unfortunately when he read the part which mentioned the white washer first, he decided to use one of the white spacers which are between the magnets instead of the small white washers supplied in the packet...maybe watching the vid as per eddy would have preventd this....the magnet spacers are to be discarded and do not figure in the fitment

4.degree of difficulty when closing mirror......buyer had previously self fitted blinker repeaters,a line of LED's on the glass.unfortunately he had used scotch locks instead of neatly splicing the wires into the loom..scotch locks are cumbersome and bulbous so when he tried to shove the wires up the mousehole,the 3 connectors didnt want to go in.......he was asked to go home and tidy up his wiring the mirror did close but it wasnt clean

5. when fixing the petals the fixer didnt wind the mounting screws in far enough resulting in the screw head sittin above the top of the petal. the magnet now cant sit flat on the petal resulting in inferior attraction
    remedy....ensure both mounting screws are fully tightened when mounting the zinc plated petals(receivers)

in spite of these faults it was a very enjoyable experience but it does highlight the need for vigilance. sometimes its as well to work with a friend so as to check each others work...as long as that friend is not jack

thanks russ
    Last edited by merlot; 04-03-2017 at 07:02 AM.

Spyder Garage

Default Tether no longer supplied?

I was going to place an order for a set of the mirror magnets but a note was added to the description stating that the "tether" will no longer be included. For those of you that have already installed these mirror magnets do you feel that a safety tether would still be necessary? Not sure if we are supposed to still use a safety tether but have to make them ourselves.
    MODS: Elka Shocks, ESI RT HMT Brake Light, ESI RT Brightsides, ESI Fender TIPS, ESI RIPS, ESI RT Day Runners, Grip Puppies
    AmerSeal Sealant, KewlMetal Kewlock, Scorpio I900 Security System, Stebel Nautilus air horn, KewlMetal Highway Brackets & ISO Wings
    Corbin seat, trunkrest & driver backrest, Capt.Jim's Belt Tensioner, SpyderPops LaBlock, Cat Shields, Bumpskid & Belt Guard
    Seal PUP Floorboards, BRP chrome, Ron's Anti-Sway Bar, Lamonster LED Head/Fog Lights & BRP Air Scoops
    2011 RTL , White

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default 22 guage wire

You can always make the tether yourself and use a binder clip to hold into the hole or other option can be used if you want to use a tether.

If by chance they did come off without the tether it would hang by the turn signal electrical wire.
    Do you really want to use a 22 gauge LED wire as a tether for a $250.00 + mirror ....... you are a lot braver than me ........... Mike

Spyder Garage

Default Magic Mirrors

Nothing in my mail box today. 15 days and counting...
    Happy owner of 2014 White RTS - SE6

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Russell -- mine arrived today (order #960) if you are keeping track of deliveries.

I am in the midst of a major teardown of the Fat White Chick, so it will probably be late this week or next before I get them installed.

Cheers, Paul

Spyder Garage

guess who a happy pup got my today #1042

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bill51 View Post
    Turn Me Over.jpg

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Y Rider View Post
    I was going to place an order for a set of the mirror magnets but a note was added to the description stating that the "tether" will no longer be included. For those of you that have already installed these mirror magnets do you feel that a safety tether would still be necessary? Not sure if we are supposed to still use a safety tether but have to make them ourselves.
    we feel that a tether is an unnecessary complication...you don't have one on the Oem mirrors either

the maggies have been trialling for 4 months now and no instance has arisen which justifies their use, so we have discontinued them
    thanks. Russ

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bill51 View Post
    Mine should be damn close then
    2022 F3 Limited , Monolith Black / Dark

Spyder Garage

Order 992 Upstate NY (above Bob D, sorry Bob!) even with a screwed up address (but right zip)
    Here today!!

Spyder Garage

Since this seems to be a issue for some reason. I went out and grabbed my Phillips screw driver that fit the screw " perfectly" and turned each screw in and out with NO issues.

If I have any issues down the road that is my problem now isn't it??

By placing a small/minimal amount of Loctite has not created any problems and hope we can move forward with this topic ....
    I'm not getting on YOUR case in particular about this Trikermutha, & I'm happy for you if you want to do your own thing for whatever reason, but it is important that people OTHER THAN YOU realise that while you can stick locktite on these screws now & have absolutely no issues with them NOW (as you keep telling us) or possibly even in the short term, but because the magnets are already doing the job that you would normally use locktite for AND we've added dissimilar metals plus a magnetic field to mildly enhance the potential for a reaction, it almost certainly will create removal issues for them sometime down track - probably not just in a few weeks; possibly in a few months; very likely by 6-8 or so months; almost certainly in a year or so's time!! Still, it won't be a biggie if it's just bare metal & magnets holding them in, but add locktite & it's more than 'just' overkill... it almost certainly IS gonna be an issue....

So it may seem TO YOU that I'm belabouring the point, but I'm really only trying to stop others from making the same mistake & creating a whole world of bother for themselves. Sure, you and anyone else who wants to can make any foolish mistake you like, ignore any reasoned advice you like, do whatever you like, but I really don't want anyone to make an unwitting decision based upon the premise that 'adding Locktite can't create any problems' when I know from bitter & painful experience that in this particular set of circumstances IT CAN!! As soon as everyone (&/or anyone) stops posting about how they think it WON'T hurt in a way that might encourage others to do the same, despite the 'testing' that suggests it will, then I'll stop warning all the other readers out there.

Happy to move forwards....

Spyder Garage

WORD !! ^^^

After all, Peter is only speaking from experience.