Spyder Garage

Default HAPPYNESS

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post

.....and what is MAX doing on your lawn ......... Mike

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default LOK-TITE ............NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Aawen View Post
    I'm not getting on YOUR case in particular about this Trikermutha, & I'm happy for you if you want to do your own thing for whatever reason, but it is important that people OTHER THAN YOU realise that while you can stick locktite on these screws now & have absolutely no issues with them NOW (as you keep telling us) or possibly even in the short term, but because the magnets are already doing the job that you would normally use locktite for AND we've added dissimilar metals plus a magnetic field to mildly enhance the potential for a reaction, it almost certainly will create removal issues for them sometime down track - probably not just in a few weeks; possibly in a few months; very likely by 6-8 or so months; almost certainly in a year or so's time!! Still, it won't be a biggie if it's just bare metal & magnets holding them in, but add locktite & it's more than 'just' overkill... it almost certainly IS gonna be an issue....

So it may seem TO YOU that I'm belabouring the point, but I'm really only trying to stop others from making the same mistake & creating a whole world of bother for themselves. Sure, you and anyone else who wants to can make any foolish mistake you like, ignore any reasoned advice you like, do whatever you like, but I really don't want anyone to make an unwitting decision based upon the premise that 'adding Locktite can't create any problems' when I know from bitter & painful experience that in this particular set of circumstances IT CAN!! As soon as everyone (&/or anyone) stops posting about how they think it WON'T hurt in a way that might encourage others to do the same, despite the 'testing' that suggests it will, then I'll stop warning all the other readers out there.

Happy to move forwards....
    ..........But for your peace of mind .......... Do this it will work without causing issues, put a small amount of glue on the threads ( not epoxy, super-glue, JB weld etc ) just ordinary household stuff. It will prevent the bolts/screws etc from coming loose because of vibrations........ and removal won't be an issue ,.... I've done this on plastic bolts for years ....... Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by TIMMB View Post
    Order 992 Upstate NY (above Bob D, sorry Bob!) even with a screwed up address (but right zip)
    Here today!!
    yours was the only add that I had concerns about
    how on earth did they find you without a street name. Only house number and zip
    i wasn't going to post it but we had waited so long I just had to

bob d should be right,I remember writing his up and mailing it....Po box from memory
    thanks. Russ

Spyder Garage

Hope my set hasn't been lost!!! My order is 961 and haven't gotten them yet!!
    2018 White F3 Limited

Spyder Garage

#995 got it today. can't wait to put on.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by trikermutha View Post
    You can always make the tether yourself and use a binder clip to hold into the hole or other option can be used if you want to use a tether.

If by chance they did come off without the tether it would hang by the turn signal electrical wire.
    this is totally correct
    if the mirror came off you would be in your driveway and the wire would prob be enough to stop the mirror hitting the ground
    mikes comment is correct if the mirror came off on the highway which would prob be the result of an eagle strike.....in this case you'll be looking for the insurance agent anyway

in in some cases it may be better for the mirror to part cleanly after a strike, instead of flapping around on the end of a tether damaging the Tupperware as well

We now feel that the tether is not needed so have discontinued it
    russ

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    ..........But for your peace of mind .......... Do this it will work without causing issues, put a small amount of glue on the threads ( not epoxy, super-glue, JB weld etc ) just ordinary household stuff. It will prevent the bolts/screws etc from coming loose because of vibrations........ and removal won't be an issue ,.... I've done this on plastic bolts for years ....... Mike
    You could be right Mike, & I really have no objection to anyone doing whatever they like, it's just that the magnets will hold tight onto the body even without the screws, and once they are in there the screws will also be held firmly into the backing metal by the magnetic field anyway - so they aren't gonna vibrate at all in the first place & there's no way they are coming undone without some externally applied help!!

Plus, as we've already discovered, even the mild magnetic field & the disimmilar metals makes them borderline 'bloody hard' to get out/off after a couple of months - not impossibly so, but certainly in the realm of 'very tight', with the proviso that "without any 'added fixing', it will never get any worse" So, since they are already held in far more firmly than the 'screw fix' locktite or similar can/will hold them, adding any more 'holding power' is simply likely to make it all significantly harder if not impossible to remove later on - so why do it unless you are into pain??

I've already had to drill/cut one lot of similar magnets held by stainless screws & locktite out of a 'test mount' for a much bigger assembly (with much better access & no need to worry about hacking thru important body panels &/or tupperware either! ) and that was enough of a bloody pain that I STRONGLY RECOMMEND that everyone just follow the instructions & don't use any more 'fixing agents' than the magnets themselves - they are more than enough on their lonesome; & honestly, even if the screws did come out (which I doubt is even physically possible) I sincerely doubt that the magnet would come off anyway &/or let the mirror fall!! Our 'crash test' units were 4kg holding magnets each & they survived everything we threw at them, including a 'well over 70mph' head on bird strike (with no tethers btw!) while the production jobbies are up for 14kg EACH!! You really don't need or want anything more!

But as I said, I really have no objection to anyone doing what they like - I just want to make sure that those who may not have the knowledge or experience realise that you don't need or want anything extra...
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 04-03-2017 at 07:59 PM.

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by merlot View Post
    thats right
    after you nip up the magnet,the tupperware tab should(will) still move. we fitted up a dozen magics at the muster on the weekend and all tabs were free. if the tab is trapped the magnet cant sit flat. this is why we remove the washer too. also the reason for the black spacer
    I take it 'nip' is the Australian version of the American 'snug'! For us Yanks it would be, "After you snug up the magnet!"

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoMtnSpyder View Post
    I take it 'nip' is the Australian version of the American 'snug'! For us Yanks it would be, "After you snug up the magnet!"
    lol
    the reason I wrote snug it up was: reading the comment it seemed to me that you weren't tightening the screw,only doing it up til the magnet touched the tab then stopping.this of course is wrong,the screw needs to be tightened right up,then check that the tab still moves,which it will if the correct spacer is used under the magnet
    thanks for the lesson in American speak,when we come to visit I'll feel like a local
    russ

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by trikermutha View Post
    You may get warned not to do that
    It always cracks me up when people storm off in a huff vowing they are finished with a thread, only to reappear shortly after to make a "cutting" comment . Or is it a "nip" and "snug" thing? Does "finished" in America have a different meaning to what we understand out here in Oz?

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Y Rider View Post
    I was going to place an order for a set of the mirror magnets but a note was added to the description stating that the "tether" will no longer be included. For those of you that have already installed these mirror magnets do you feel that a safety tether would still be necessary? Not sure if we are supposed to still use a safety tether but have to make them ourselves.
    we feel that a tether is an unnecessary complication...you don't have one on the Oem mirrors either

the maggies have been trialling for 4 months now and no instance has arisen which justifies their use, so we have discontinued them
    thanks. Russ
    Like Russ says, the tether really is an unnecessary complication, & besides, there ISN'T one on the OEM Mirrors anywhere is there?? So, Russ has come up with a mirror fixing method that works better than the OEM stuff, holds the mirrors firmer, & is a whole lot easier to get off as & when you want them off, but ONLY as & when you want them off, & now it's a concern when he suggests you really don't need a belt, braces, AND locktite!? You really don't need the tethers at all!!

We've now done over 100,000km of testing all up & NOT ONCE has a mirror held on by the magics come off, altho it only took about 1000 km's before the OEM mirrors started falling off! I was one of those who experienced the OEM mirrors falling off, & it was at least partly at my prompting that Russ added the tethers to the production kits 'just to be sure' in the first place, but since I've been riding with the Crash Test Magics (btw, they had NO tethers at all!) & seeing how well they work & stay in place, even despite copping a full frontal magpie hit on a mirror at over 70 mph (honestly Officer, it was only just over 70!) and having the magpie splatter guts & blood all over my leg while the mirror just flicked back towards me & then clacked back into place (I'll just remind you again, I had NO Tethers fitted then!) I'm pretty sure that YOU REALLY WON'T NEED THE TETHERS AT ALL!!

Sure, if you get hit by a truck or take out an eagle with a mirror, you might send a mirror flying (altho I doubt it!) but really, I reckon it wouldn't matter much at all if you had tethers or not in either instance & besides, your mirrors are gonna be the last thing you are worried about right at that moment!! And if you do manage to knock one off at any other time while you are ryding (altho I've no bloody idea how you could?!) then you probably wouldn't appreciate it if it was tethered to your Spyder & ended up flapping around like a demented dervish on the end of a short leash as you pulled to a stop & it flogged the crap outta your tupperware while you were doing that now would you!?!!?

Apart from the bird strike I had, we haven't even had one mirror budge from it's intended place in all the testing we've done, & the bulk of that testing was with the 4kg magnets ie, 3 x 4kg holding magnets on each mirror, which works out to 12kgs of holding force per mirror.... Just to take that a little further, the production magnets are 14 kg holding magnets, so three of them on each mirror gives you 42 kgs of holding force on each mirror - that should handle a pretty hefty eagle or even getting tangled up on a fairly heavy purse!

At the risk of sounding even more pedantic than I normally do - the tethers are a completely unnecessary complication and you really don't need them!! (or locktite!)

Just enjoy the Magic Mirror Mounts for what they are - a relatively cheap & bloody ingenious way of securing your RT Mirrors that allow you to take them off & put them back on a helluva lot easier than the OEM Mounts do, as & when you want to, without risking breaking anything or making your mirrors permanently floppy!! Enjoy! Or maybe even Ride More & Worry Less!!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 04-04-2017 at 02:35 AM.

Spyder Garage

Default tethers

i have a solution for the tether question and its really simple

if you require a tether for your maggies then all you need to do is transfer the tether you were using when you had the oem mounts
    job done

Spyder Garage

Default suspense

Everyone is talking about how great they are, and how easy the conversion is...

hey bob
    is that jonathan winters when he was a baby?

Very Active Member eddieshep999's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I have been reading and following all the threads on the Magic Mirrors since they first became known
    There has been some excellent comments & advice but some have become a distraction and to put it into contex some of the opinions will remain poles apart (pun intended)
    I do hope those reading the threads will see that at the end of the day they will decide to go ahead and purchase not only the best mirror mounting system available for the RT but the only real alternative to the poorly designed OEM mounting system
    Eddie Sheppard
    Poole Dorset UK

Get a Spyder - See the World

Spyder Garage

Default Installed!

I agree with those who have credited this offering as maybe one of the best available for the RTs. Just finished installing these simple replacements for the OEM mounts. Decided not to install the tethers, saw no need. These magnets are STRONG!!
    2014 RT Ltd Silver Platinum Satin, Ultimate Seat, rider and passenger backrests, Vented Windshield, Adjustable Side Wind Deflectors, Chrome Tri Axis Handlebars with GPS Support, Trailer Hitch Kit, RT-622 Trailer Silver Platinum Satin, Stebil Air Horn, BajaRon's Sway Bar, Spyderpops Bumpskid bike and Trailer, R/T grills, SpyderSisters Front Trunk Pockets, SpyderSisters Sunshade, Spyderflaps Mud Flap, many TricLED lights
    2014 Limited , Silver Playinum Satin

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

hey bob
    is that jonathan winters when he was a baby?
    Now that you mention it...

2020769982.jpg
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Just ordered a set of mirror magnets. Nice to know that I will never have to replace another plastic mirror mounting clip. Order #1111. Hopefully will have them by Spyderfest.
    MODS: Elka Shocks, ESI RT HMT Brake Light, ESI RT Brightsides, ESI Fender TIPS, ESI RIPS, ESI RT Day Runners, Grip Puppies
    AmerSeal Sealant, KewlMetal Kewlock, Scorpio I900 Security System, Stebel Nautilus air horn, KewlMetal Highway Brackets & ISO Wings
    Corbin seat, trunkrest & driver backrest, Capt.Jim's Belt Tensioner, SpyderPops LaBlock, Cat Shields, Bumpskid & Belt Guard
    Seal PUP Floorboards, BRP chrome, Ron's Anti-Sway Bar, Lamonster LED Head/Fog Lights & BRP Air Scoops
    2011 RTL , White

Very Active Member cognaccruiser's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Just ordered also. #1116. Looking forward to getting them.

Gary
    States visited by Bike

Spyder Garage

Default Magic Mirrors

Finally got mine today, 4/4/17. These were shipped 3/20/17. Sixteen days. The package looked like it had been in the rain and drug through a dirty warehouse and about to come apart at the end seam. But they made it. I'm so happy.

Stan

Edit: Put mine on in an hour. That includes the time to find correct tools, the little screws I dropped on the floor, etc. Great product!
    Last edited by Spyderjuice; 04-04-2017 at 04:11 PM. Reason: added informnation
    Happy owner of 2014 White RTS - SE6

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Mine have also arrived, and I'm planning on pounding them into place tonight!

EDIT: My first hiccup of the project...
    I was trying to pre-construct the magnet packs...
    As I was peeling the first magnet off of the "pile" of them; it slid off, the plastic washer took off for parts unkown, and then it got drawn right back to the rest of the magnets!!

Only now, there's no plastic washer between it, and the others!
    Those suckers REALLY do have some strength to them...

(I can't peel it loose... )
    Last edited by Bob Denman; 04-04-2017 at 02:10 PM.
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member eddieshep999's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

As I was peeling the first magnet off of the "pile" of them; it slid off, the plastic washer took off for parts unkown, and then it got drawn right back to the rest of the magnets!!

Bob see this video at about 1.01

https://youtu.be/El3zoQXBQjk

This was my fitting tip:-

Fitting Tip

No problem with the first mirror it was easy to separate the magnets but on the second mirror because of less magnets left on the roll it was more difficult to hold and was difficult to separate them, I managed to get 2 magnets stuck together as the spacer slipped out
    My solution was to use one of the bolts supplied with the small white washer on it to put it in the roll and leaver a magnet off, the magnet could then be pushed down the bolt before fitting the black spacer on ready to fit

Hope this helps
    Eddie Sheppard
    Poole Dorset UK

Get a Spyder - See the World

Very Active Member Buckeye Bleau's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I feel very blessed to have this product I would like to propose "Magic Oil Panel Inataller" as the nest project.

This would almost complete my life and help us all from losing that Tupperware that needs to be removed often.

What say you?

Joe
    U.S. Army Viet Nam Era Vet
    2013 Spyder RT-L, Black Currant
    Trunk mount dual SS flag holder
    TricLed foam hand grips (awesome)
    Chromed Soaring Eagle License Holder
    Utopia Deluxe driver backrest
    LED fender lighting
    Fast Flash LED brake light
    Spyder Pops LED/skid plate

Spyder Garage

slide the magnet off then quickly move both hands apart
    hold the single magnet high and away then put the main roll into your pocket straight away
    i did a few on the weekend and that's how I did it
    two helpers were bleeding after handling so don't underestimate them,they will pinch you

bob, I'm really pleased yours have landed. As I said I remember posting yours
    russ

Spyder Garage

bob D I see your a happy pup know

Spyder Garage

Default magic mirrors

mounted mine today very easy but be careful takeing them off the roll had one slide back on and it pinched my finger drew blood OCH! thanks Russ very good product