Spyder Garage

Default New rider intro, questions and comments

Hello everyone,

New Spyder owner/rider here. Been riding cycles for about 12 years (Hondamatic, Royal Enfield, Honda Shadow Aero, Piaggio MP3), and never really felt comfortable with a passenger (wife) on the back, so I started looking into the Can-Am Spyder. I did a bit of reading and watching videos, and found one for sale locally, test rode it and bought it. 2011 Can-Am Spyder RT SE5 with only 3500 miles on it.

So far the hardest part about riding the Spyder is remembering to ride in the middle of the lane ! After all of my miles on cycles, it just seems so foreign to me to ride in the middle. For my first couple of double up rides, the wife kept tapping me on the helmet, reminding me to move over to the right. I solved that problem by running a thin piece of red pinstripe tape down the middle of the windshield, which I try to keep aligned with the middle of the lane on the road ahead of me. It seems to be working really well, and hopefully I'll remove the line when I get a few more miles under my belt.

And speaking of windshields...I can't believe what a difference riding with a windshield makes. No wind on me at all, and all this week I rode with the visor up on my helmet and never once got cold.

Another minor annoyance with the Spyder is that the horn button is located right about where the turn signals were on my last bikes. I've honked the horn a few times when I meant to push the turn signals. Oops! No biggie, just another thing to get used to, (same for reaching for the hand brake).

I've found the seat to be quite comfortable, and my wife says that she's quite comfy up in her perch as well.
    Love all of the storage room on the RT, I may just put away my backpack for good !
    Reverse gear....fantastic !!!!
    Great power on the RT as well. I haven't really rolled the throttle a lot, but when I have, it's responded quite well. Throaty sound and quick acceleration.
    Automatic downshifts - love it.

I feel like I'm a turtle going around corners right now, but I know that will get better with time and miles.

Hit my first roadkill the other day. I saw it on the road ahead of me, and was concerned with getting it between my front wheels, and was worried about the low front end clearance.....but I didn't even think about the fact that I had lined it up perfectly with that back wheel. Bump and squish.

I'm getting lots of heat on my right foot, and realize that it's coming from that lower vent (radiator and engine heat). Is there a accessory vent available to redirect that heat ? It feels OK now, but in the summer that will be one hot foot.

I've already added a ram ball mount for my cell phone (which doubles as my GPS) between the handlebars, and I plan on adding USB charging port in the place of one of the empty switches in the dash. Also scouting out locations to mount my GoPro. Picked up a repair manual on CD as well.
    I've been reading many, many messages and posts on this forum...lots of great information loaded here !

Looking forward to many miles of smooth, happy riding.

Joe Lynch
    Columbus, Ohio

2015 Chevy Volt
    2016 Mitsubishi Outlander
    2011 Can-Am Spyder RT SE5
    1979 Triumph Spitfire
    Homebuilt motorbike - Torker Bicycle w. 88cc 2 stroke gas engine

Spyder Garage

Default Good to Hear.....

Welcome to the spyder world and this awesome site. Congrats on the new ryde Glad you found a ryde you both can enjoy and feel comfortable on. Your in for a lot of miles of smiles and will meet some fine folks out there...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Default WELCOME!

Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    Hello everyone,

New Spyder owner/rider here. Been riding cycles for about 12 years (Hondamatic, Royal Enfield, Honda Shadow Aero, Piaggio MP3), and never really felt comfortable with a passenger (wife) on the back, so I started looking into the Can-Am Spyder. I did a bit of reading and watching videos, and found one for sale locally, test rode it and bought it. 2011 Can-Am Spyder RT SE5 with only 3500 miles on it.

So far the hardest part about riding the Spyder is remembering to ride in the middle of the lane ! After all of my miles on cycles, it just seems so foreign to me to ride in the middle. For my first couple of double up rides, the wife kept tapping me on the helmet, reminding me to move over to the right. I solved that problem by running a thin piece of red pinstripe tape down the middle of the windshield, which I try to keep aligned with the middle of the lane on the road ahead of me. It seems to be working really well, and hopefully I'll remove the line when I get a few more miles under my belt.

And speaking of windshields...I can't believe what a difference riding with a windshield makes. No wind on me at all, and all this week I rode with the visor up on my helmet and never once got cold.

Another minor annoyance with the Spyder is that the horn button is located right about where the turn signals were on my last bikes. I've honked the horn a few times when I meant to push the turn signals. Oops! No biggie, just another thing to get used to, (same for reaching for the hand brake).

I've found the seat to be quite comfortable, and my wife says that she's quite comfy up in her perch as well.
    Love all of the storage room on the RT, I may just put away my backpack for good !
    Great power on the RT as well. I haven't really rolled the throttle a lot, but when I have, it's responded quite well. Throaty sound and quick acceleration.

I feel like I'm a turtle going around corners right now, but I know that will get better with time and miles.

Hit my first roadkill the other day. I saw it on the road ahead of me, and was concerned with getting it between my front wheels, and was worried about the low front end clearance.....but I didn't even think about the fact that I had lined it up perfectly with that back wheel. Bump and squish.

I'm getting lots of heat on my right foot, and realize that it's coming from that lower vent (radiator and engine heat). Is there a accessory vent available to redirect that heat ? It feels OK now, but in the summer that will be one hot foot.

I've already added a ram ball mount for my cell phone (which doubles as my GPS) between the handlebars, and I plan on adding USB charging port in the place of one of the empty switches in the dash. Also scouting out locations to mount my GoPro. Picked up a repair manual on CD as well.
    I've been reading many, many messages and posts on this forum...lots of great information loaded here !

Joe Lynch
    Columbus, Ohio

2015 Chevy Volt
    1979 Triumph Spitfire

Hello and Welcome!

You have found the best "Spyder" site in the universe! The members here are extremely helpful, knowledgeable, and informative. Looking for something for your Spyder? Just post your question, what you need, etc., and they'll respond - giving you the best, most up to date information available. Have a problem or want advice on maintenance? Just ask. Scheduled rides, clubs located near you, national Spyder events, products, clothing, tips, safety information? It's all here. So again, welcome and ENJOY - because this site will enable you to get the very best Spyder Ryding experience possible.

He's on his RT She's on her F3

And the Keys to a Happy Marriage: Separate
    Bathrooms, Individual Remote TV Clickers, and
    His and Her Spyders.

"If there are no dogs in heaven, then when I die,
    I want to go where they went." ~ ~ Will Rogers

"Never in the field of human conflict was so much owed by so many to so few."
    ~ ~ Winston Churchill in his tribute to the RAF.

"I'd like to know why well-educated idiots keep apologizing for lazy and complaining
    people who think the world owes them a living." ~ ~ John Wayne

GOS 3799

Spyder Garage

Default A little time

Keep Ryding and most " little annoyances" will soon be a distant memory . There are so many people on this site with thousands of miles experience and multiple Spyder purchases under their belt , they have many ways to personalize every possible whim or concern ... And maybe even some things that never crossed your mind . A had a little bit of that issue with staying in the center but it was brief . Enjoy your new passion

Spyder Garage

Welcome aboard, Jojo! If you're wife is anything like my wife...she'll quickly get tired of riding passenger and want her own Spyder!

Nothing wrong with having two of these fantastic machines in the stable, either
    UCLA F3S (Russ): ('16 F3S SE6 Special Series "The Batpod") - DJ PC V, K&N AF, RLS Punisher Custom Exhaust, 7Jurock 27" Windshield, Corbin Dual Tour Saddle, Shad Rack/Bags, Bajaron Swaybar, BRP Signature Light, Lamonster "Parts Suite" (LED Fog/Headlights, GPS Mount/Garmin Zumo 660LM, RIP Boards, IPS Caps, Foam Grips), Can Am 2-Up Rear Shock; ('16 RT-S SE6 "Gipsy Danger") ​- BRP Adjustable Backrest, Bajaron Swaybar, Magic Mirror Mounts, Lamonster Dual Power Plate w/Large X-Grip

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Welcome. There are many things you can do to reduce the heat on the foot. Use the advanced search and much will be revealed. Here are a few: Remove splash pans under the motor, Spyderpops block off plate(upper), 2013 Rt heat recall scoops kit(this worked great on our 2012 RT).http://spyderpops.com/rt-rts-rt-limited/new-category-2/
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

We're really glad that you found us, and we all want to say ""
    About lane placement:
    Folks normally put their "leaners" into either the left, or the right tire track...
    We were always told to avoid the "grease patch" in the center of the lane.
    I STILL find myself trying to move to the left or the right, but I did find a workable solution:
    I stay JUST off-center, but I move around within the lane to make myself more visible to oncoming traffic.
    Dead critters in the Road:
    A three-track vehicle sure changes everything; doesn't it? I will normally try to put the recently deceased just to the inside of one of my front tires. This normally allows it to slide right on past the rear tire without any more insult to it's carcass...
    But it's not perfect! I did pick up a bunch of quills in my rear tire sidewall, after brushing up against a "Quill-Turtle" once! It's usually best to see them early, slow down, and ride around them.
    The Buttons:
    They'll come to you; it just takes a bit of time!
    Heat on your right foot:
    There are lots of block-off plates available: Spyderpops has some of the best!
    Take your time, and enjoy the learning process!
    Last edited by Bob Denman; 02-25-2017 at 02:34 PM.
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

I hope you enjoy your Spyder!!! Take care and ride safe!!!!
    Current ride: 2013 Circuit Yellow ST-S SE5

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

&

My first Spyder was also a 2011 RTS that I bought used.

Quote Originally Posted by Highwayman2013 View Post
    Welcome. There are many things you can do to reduce the heat on the foot. Use the advanced search and much will be revealed. Here are a few: Remove splash pans under the motor, Spyderpops block off plate(upper), 2013 Rt heat recall scoops kit(this worked great on our 2012 RT).http://spyderpops.com/rt-rts-rt-limited/new-category-2/
    I put the Spyderpops block-off plate on my 2011 and it helped. They didn't have the scoops then, but I could see how they'd help.
    PrairieSpyder (Patti)

Spyder Garage

Default Welcome, Wecome & Welcome

So glad you found us. Keep the questions coming...this is where all the experts and all the opinions reside. See that others have addressed your ?'s with the same answers I would have shared...so guess that means they are RIGHT. Glad you are here. Hi to wife..
    My Motto Is:
    Live my life in such a way that when my feet hit the floor in the morning...Satan shudders & says "Oh, crap, SHE'S awake!"

Red Stallion: 2016 F3t SE6 (from Pitbull PowerSports/ Springfield, MO)
    White Knight: 2014 RTS SE6 and matching 622 trailer (from Pitbull
    PowerSports/ Springfield, MO)
    Ms Spydee: 2010 RT SE5

Spyder Garage

Default Welcome

Enjoy your ryde and welcome here lots of quality folks and advice.
    Ranman42

Spyder Garage

I too have a V twin RT,2012 RTL SE5. I too have found the power really fun. +1 on the Spyderpops block off plate, I have one on mine, the upper plate and I found it enough. As you ride and read posts you discover other things you will want to add to your Spyder. I have found there is a small space between the inside of the front tires and the outside of the rear and bumps, potholes and roadkill will often fit there. You'll soon learn what is too big and how to go around it safely.

Visit us often tell us about your experiences and your rides. And don't forget the pictures.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Very Active Member Pirate looks at --'s Avatar
    Spyder Garage

One thing to remember, make sure you wear a good pair of Ryding boots! That is all I needed to keep my foot from heating up, and I have a 2013 RT, the real heat monster! Enjoy the ryde! And during the summer when the rest of you is hot, you won't notice your foot so much!
    White 2013 Spyder RT Limited. BajaRon Swaybar, Custom Dynamic Third Brake Light. Ultimate Custom Black and White seat with driver and passenger back rest. Gloryder Led Wheel lights.Custom Dynamics Led Bright sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright sides.

2016 F3 Limited Intense Red Pearl. Lidlox, BRP Driver Back Rest, BRP Passenger Back Rest,Fog Lights, GPS, Signature Light! Custom Dynamics LED Bright Sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright Sides.

Spyder Garage

and on your RT. We have one of the same in our current stable. Great and at 24K, no problems or issues. Enjoy your new ryde.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

And

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Welcome to our wonderful world! I, too, beeped instead of blinked at least 4 times before finally getting the feel of where my signal button was! And don't worry about cornering; it takes most of us quite awhile to get totally comfortable with that maneuver. As far as centering, I try to line up pot holes, etc, between a front tire and my rump. It's a whole new game. Enjoy the ryde!!

2015 Sypder RT-S SE6
    2016 Polaris Sportsman 570 ATV
    2003 F250 SuperDuty
    American Saddlebred Horses

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default TYO THE NEWBIE

& .......Despite what you will be told here the Spyder NEEDS NOTHING .... to be enjoyed, however the V-twin has a weak charging system ( magneto ) and I advise getting a battery MAINTAINER ( not the same thing as a Charger ) and keep it connected when not riding it......Also find the thread " Do's & Do Not's " there is a lot of great info there ......ride safe ............. Mike
    Last edited by BLUEKNIGHT911; 02-25-2017 at 02:43 PM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

If you have any riding experience on ATVs or snowmobiles: it often helps a lot!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Default Enjoy the ride

I'm still new too and have found more information on this sight than any other, and the videos are a huge help if you want to take on any part of your spyder.

Spyder Garage

Default Greetings

from your neighbor to the south. We are new to the Spyder world after 40+ years on two wheels. There is a learning curve especially after that many years on two wheels, but after 700 miles I am getting much better. Yeah, I still beep when trying to turn, it is getting easier though.
    2015 RT , Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

on your spyder purchase andto the spyder web. Dale

Spyder Garage

Welcome to the party...............enjoy the ryde.

Spyder: 2011 RT Limited w/ RT-622 trailer
    Mods: ESI Brightsides, RT Rear Brightsides, HMT Brake Light, Scuff Guards, Utopia Backrest, Chrome, and more Chrome, Pearl White Rear View Mirrors, Rear Fender, and Dashboard, Black Rear Wheel and Belt Assy, SpyderPops Heat Shields & Bump Skid, Elka Stage 1+ Shocks, 2012 SF Graphics, Silver Carbonfiber Dash, Corbin Arm Rests, Baker A.W., BRP Vented WindShield. BR's Sway Bar, Tricled White Halo Lights, BadBoy Air Horn, Spyder Legs Floor Boards

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Happy (S)miles!
    2012 RT , stock Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

Default Newb in Central Ohio

Joe

I too am in Columbus Ohio. Maybe we can get enough new riders and start having rides together.
    Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    Hello everyone,

Joe Lynch
    Columbus, Ohio

2015 Chevy Volt
    1979 Triumph Spitfire