Spyder Garage

Default Looking for advice with stock seat and Utopia driver backrest.

I have a 2009 RS. I can not get a Ultimate seat due to passenger backrest and luggage rack. Brackets due not allow ultimate seat to fit. I have already tried. So my dilemma is this. I have a place in town that will rebuild my stock seat, adding gel for shock effect and memory foam for comfort. The upholstery place suggested I purchase the Utopia backrest and bring it in and they will work with it. I just talked to Utopia and she thinks I need to do one or the other. She doesn't believe there will be enough room to use Utopia with a built up seat.
    What do you think? Has anyone used a Utopia driver backrest with a built up stock seat? Please, looking for some input.
    Thank you.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default UTOPIA BACKREST

Quote Originally Posted by tspappe View Post
    I have a 2009 RS. I can not get a Ultimate seat due to passenger backrest and luggage rack. Brackets due not allow ultimate seat to fit. I have already tried. So my dilemma is this. I have a place in town that will rebuild my stock seat, adding gel for shock effect and memory foam for comfort. The upholstery place suggested I purchase the Utopia backrest and bring it in and they will work with it. I just talked to Utopia and she thinks I need to do one or the other. She doesn't believe there will be enough room to use Utopia with a built up seat.
    What do you think? Has anyone used a Utopia driver backrest with a built up stock seat? Please, looking for some input.
    Thank you.
    " She " doesn't know what she's talking about ..... I have done this to my ( old ) GS and it worked out fine .... I even mounted the Utopia without removing the seat cover " She also said this was IMPOSSIBLE " .... ( I should have sent a video )....... Even if you are raising the surface of your seat 2 to 3 inches ( and I don't think that's what you are doing ) .... The Utopia can also be raised ..... the only issue I see is the amount of room available for the driver and passenger..... Your seat area ( fore & aft ) is less that the RT seats ( by 3inches ) .... so careful placement is necessary. The Utopia is the thinnest driver backrest so that is a plus ...... good luck ..... Mike

Spyder Garage

Mike, once again you always come in and save my sanity. Do you happen to have any pics of the seat? Thank you so much.

Spyder Garage

Default UTOPIA BACKREST - SEAT MOUNTING PICS

Mike, once again you always come in and save my sanity. Do you happen to have any pics of the seat? Thank you so much.
    Sheila , Thank you for the kind words ....... Sorry but I'm the " can't do pics guy " ..... but they wouldn't help you. I mounted mine slightly different from what Utopia shows on their Web video..... because I didn't remove the seat cover ........ since you are having the cover re-moved just do it THEIR way .... I'm assuming you are gelling your seat similar to what " Dave " does ????, if so this will not really change the shape of the seat and have zero effect on the BACKREST install ........................ PS, I brought your Small Gas Door back up onto the Board..... Can you bring your Album pics onto your Thread about this ??? ..... some people won't bother going to your album to look, and you did a great job ...................... Mike

Spyder Garage

Mike, I was able to upload thumbnail pics on our previous gas door post. I hope these will help someone else out. I am having a seat cover shop in Oklahoma build up my lumbar support and they will add gel and than memory foam over that. They suggested I go ahead and purchase the Utopia backrest so they can install it while doing everything else to my seat. But I became very confused after speaking to Utopia. So honestly, I still dont know what to do? Do you think the backrest will work if they build up my lumbar support?

Thanks again, I really appreciate your help.
    Sheila

Spyder Garage

Default SEAT ISSUES

Mike, I was able to upload thumbnail pics on our previous gas door post. I hope these will help someone else out. I am having a seat cover shop in Oklahoma build up my lumbar support and they will add gel and than memory foam over that. They suggested I go ahead and purchase the Utopia backrest so they can install it while doing everything else to my seat. But I became very confused after speaking to Utopia. So honestly, I still dont know what to do? Do you think the backrest will work if they build up my lumbar support?

Thanks again, I really appreciate your help.
    Sheila
    S, everything I said in post #4 applies. However I may know more about the " UTOPIA " BACKREST than they do..... I don't know what / how the seat shop people are going to help with your LUMBAR .... a MTC seat isn't like a Car or Trk ...... I had the same issues and did this to my UTOPIA and it worked wonders ..... your backrest PIVOTS - look where the bottom of the backrest pad touches the upright bar .... I put a small block of hard foam ( anything will work ) 1" thick and taped it in place .... this will angle the PAD .... and push against your lower back ( LUMBAR AREA ) ... 1" may be too much or too little - experiment ..... it really made a HUGH difference in the way it felt ..... you may not NEED any changes to the seat it-self !!!! .... Mike

Spyder Garage

Mike, you are just a wealth of information. Thank you very much. I appreciate your help. I will go ahead and order the Utopia tomorrow. I will try the foam first with the back rest