Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Very Active Member blacklightning's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Water wetter anyone?

I may have been getting spoiled by my 2014 RT, but after riding the 2012 RSS today, in 75+ degree heat, it seems to run hotter than the 1330 in the RT. I am thinking that by the time the temps hit the 90's it will be quite toasty. With my performance cars I used to run an additive like water wetter, and it seems to lower the temps a little. Does anyone here run that in their spyder, and is it safe?
    2021 RTL , brake pedal from "Web Boards" chalk white

Spyder Garage

Water Wetter in our 2014 RTS. Added WW to top off a long while back. Planning to replace coolant and flush brakes again pretty soon. I will mix in WW again.

Spyder Garage

Default I do.....

In my 2012 RS I run 75% water, 25% water weter and antifreeze mix. Mind you our weather is good all yearound. There are new products out there that I have not tried but the mix I run does well...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

i added some to mine after i got it. dont know if it helped or not
    but its done.
    2015 rts-white pearl- mods- '16 F3 fat 6 chrome wheels,
    and some little stuff. setback utopia backrest, baja ron
    sway bar, oem adj. air deflectors, marlin gps compass,
    lamonster fbb foot pegs[modified brackets], lamonts
    vibration damper, rock guard, and side case stiffener kit,
    . brp comfort seat. , fomozas and
    altimax, magic mirror mts, and wide mirrors.
    [joyce & irvin toms]

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I ran Engine Ice in my 2004 Yamaha Grizzly "686". This was my ATV that was often put through the worst imaginable conditions!
    85 degree temperatures, running at low speeds and high rps, and usually with a mud-clogged radiator...
    It NEVER let me kdown, and the bike never overheated: even though it had every rightful reason to complain!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default WATER WETTER - ICE ETC.

I must be missing something with this ..... since the engine temp is controlled by a thermostat - how can these products help / change things ...... Mike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

In the case of the Grizzly: the thermostat only controlled the operation of the cooling fan.
    I can tell you that the fan almost NEVER came on after I put that stuff in the radiator.

Very Active Member blacklightning's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Thanks everyone for your input. I will be adding some water wetter to my spyder before the June, July, August heat really hits. I just know how picky these spyders can be and didn't want to add something that could cause harm.
    2021 RTL , brake pedal from "Web Boards" chalk white

Spyder Garage

Just be aware that once you use WW, you are on an annual coolant flush and fill cycle. The stuff works as intended but is often misunderstood. If your bike is operating in the range controlled by the thermostat, it will not do you any good. In vehicles that cannot keep their cool, a mix of WW and distilled water can carry away MUCH more heat than a glycol water mix.

The 1330 actually produces about the same heat as the 998's but feels hotter due to the location of the radiator and its discharge on YOU.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default WW & WATER-ICE

Quote Originally Posted by jcthorne View Post
    Just be aware that once you use WW, you are on an annual coolant flush and fill cycle. The stuff works as intended but is often misunderstood. If your bike is operating in the range controlled by the thermostat, it will not do you any good. In vehicles that cannot keep their cool, a mix of WW and distilled water can carry away MUCH more heat than a glycol water mix.

The 1330 actually produces about the same heat as the 998's but feels hotter due to the location of the radiator and its discharge on YOU.
    Thank you .... that clears it up for me ..... not needed ............... Mike

Spyder Garage

Water Wetter can make a difference on thermostat controlled engines also.

The thermostat does open at a prescribed temp, but the thermostat does not control the maximum temps possible. Most thermostats once at the rated temp or near rated temp are fully open anf flowing at 100%.

Adding Water Wetter increases the efficency of the coolant, allowing the coolant to absorb heat more easily as it flows through the engine, and then disipate heat more readily through the radiators.

By doing this, the engine has a more uniform heat on all parts, plus the system is more efficient, and in extreme cases of ambient temps or heavy loads the engine runs cooler.

As for annual coolant replacement when using water wetter, that is partially true. The instructions for using Water Wetter allow variations of how the product is employed.

The best results for cooling and race track safety is to use a mix of only water and Water Wetter, that setup does not offer corrosion protection, and if on a race bike, the coolant is constantly drained.

When using Water Wetter to supplement anti freeze, there is still improved cooling, however, the system retains corrosion protection from the anti freeze, so the need for annual coolant replacement is not there.

I have never actually compared our RT idling beside another, but in theory, just like in my race bikes, at idle, you will more easily see the better cooling efficency. The race bikes no longer push coolant out the overflows, and on the RTs, I suspect our fans would cycle on less frequently, but maybe no.

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I have added it to our 2012 RT. Living in the desert any little bit helps the engine. As far as actually feeling a difference while riding? Not really. The best thing we did on the RT was install the 2013 recall scoops and remove the bottom splash pans.
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Anything that you can do to help the system shed heat easier: a GOOD thing!

Spyder Garage

Bob, forgot to mention, the product you used in the ATV, and those similar to it may not lower temps, most allow even higher temps before dumping coolant.

Depending on the application, this may or may not be better. Racing it is better to finish, while for recreation, constantly prolonged higher temp operation can cause other longterm problems, and then some machines just need the non water type coolant because the cooling system is not a good design.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

In the case of my ATV: it did lower the temperatures a bit (less than 20 degrees...)
    I had seriously tinkered with the engine and clutches in this Quad.
    a 2mm overbore, a higher compression (10:1) piston, a different cam, new roller clutch weights, and machine primary ramps... The Airbox had been opened up to allow for better breathing, and the "Big Mike" (Mikuni VM) had been re-jetted from bottom to top!

Wheelie08-16-2008.jpg

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    In the case of my ATV: it did lower the temperatures a bit (less than 20 degrees...)
    a 2mm overbore, a higher compression (10:1) piston, a different cam, new roller clutch weights, and machine primary ramps... The Airbox had been opened up to allow for better breathing, and the "Big Mike" (Mikuni VM) had been re-jetted from bottom to top!

Wheelie08-16-2008.jpg
    Do you recall what you ran coolant mix ratio wise prior to Engine Ice? Truth told I would go with Engine Ice before Evans.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

It's been almost 7 years. I traded in the Grizzly to get my 2010 RT A&C...

I might have even been running it full of Engine Ice... I'm just not sure.

Spyder Garage

It's been almost 7 years. I traded in the Grizzly to get my 2010 RT A&C...

I might have even been running it full of Engine Ice... I'm just not sure.
    No doubt you ran Engine Ice right from the jug. I was curious if you knew what cooled it prior to Engine Ice.

Engine Ice works well.

Most people do not realize that Anti freeze alone runs hot but does not boil easily.

Here we have no concern of freezing, so I often go with 70% water / 30% Peak mix with the instructed amount of Water Wetter.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Oh! It had the standard 50/50 mix in it, that came from the factory...
    (I'm sorry: I misunderstood what you were asking. )

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PMK View Post
    Water Wetter can make a difference on thermostat controlled engines also.

The thermostat does open at a prescribed temp, but the thermostat does not control the maximum temps possible. Most thermostats once at the rated temp or near rated temp are fully open anf flowing at 100%.

Adding Water Wetter increases the efficency of the coolant, allowing the coolant to absorb heat more easily as it flows through the engine, and then disipate heat more readily through the radiators.

By doing this, the engine has a more uniform heat on all parts, plus the system is more efficient, and in extreme cases of ambient temps or heavy loads the engine runs cooler.

As for annual coolant replacement when using water wetter, that is partially true. The instructions for using Water Wetter allow variations of how the product is employed.

The best results for cooling and race track safety is to use a mix of only water and Water Wetter, that setup does not offer corrosion protection, and if on a race bike, the coolant is constantly drained.

When using Water Wetter to supplement anti freeze, there is still improved cooling, however, the system retains corrosion protection from the anti freeze, so the need for annual coolant replacement is not there.

I have never actually compared our RT idling beside another, but in theory, just like in my race bikes, at idle, you will more easily see the better cooling efficency. The race bikes no longer push coolant out the overflows, and on the RTs, I suspect our fans would cycle on less frequently, but maybe no.

A
    good deal of mistaken information here. On an engine with a thermostat that is full open and engine temp well above set point, the thermostat is no longer controlling the temp. Its just along for the ride. As I already stated, WW does indeed help these situations. In an engine where the thermostat IS controlling the them, it offers next to nothing. A bit more even temps across the cylinder head but nothing you could notice on a street bike.

Next, a mix of WW and distilled water is the PREFERRED usage of the product if freeze protection is not needed. It actually offers excellent corrosion protection and is the design purpose of WW to begin with. The better heat transfer properties of the chemical surfactant was a positive side effect.

Last, Red Line specifically suggests annual flush and fill with WW. I have seen first hand results of neglected WW. Its not corrosion, its a gloppy grey mess.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

I see on extra the other day Bieber must have been using WW front of his pants were all wet liked he pissed them.

Snot nosed brat

Spyder Garage

Wheelie08-16-2008.jpg
    rubicons dont need all that stuff.but i do run water wetter in it too.
    2015 rts-white pearl- mods- '16 F3 fat 6 chrome wheels,
    and some little stuff. setback utopia backrest, baja ron
    sway bar, oem adj. air deflectors, marlin gps compass,
    lamonster fbb foot pegs[modified brackets], lamonts
    vibration damper, rock guard, and side case stiffener kit,
    . brp comfort seat. , fomozas and
    altimax, magic mirror mts, and wide mirrors.
    [joyce & irvin toms]

Spyder Garage

Good stuff, used it in my race car dropped the temps about 20 degrees.

Spyder Garage

Red Line also makes a pre-mixed coolant with Water Wetter already in it. Specifically for this type of application.

https://www.redlineoil.com/product.aspx?pid=117&pcid=10
    2020 RTL SE6

Previously 2008 GS SM5 and 2014 RT SE6

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by irvin48 View Post
    rubicons dont need all that stuff.but i do run water wetter in it too.
    Those little 500cc HondaToys don't make anywhere near the power of a REAL ATV!

A Straight axle out back: how cute is that?