Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dealer Attitude

Spyder Garage

Default Dealer Attitude

Have one dealer a few miles away and next closest is about 100 miles a way and dealer closest to me says well if you go with this other dealer you will miss out on our great customer service. So asked point blank that if I do not purchase my machine from you will you not service my can-am? The answer, well we will but we take care of "our" customers first and when we are busy during the summer you might have to wait.

Is this how it is?

Because if it is I'm not 100 percent sure that I want to be a Can-am owner and my reasoning is fairly simple. If I'm 500 miles from home and spyder goes into Limp Mode I really can't afford to come across a dealer with this attitude and hear, "We'd really like to help you here but Bob over there needs his oil changed maybe we can get to you in a couple of days."

The Can-am dealership network is a concern to me anyway since they are not like Harley dealers that dot the map like Starbucks, but if some have this attitude well it makes it even worse.

And it kind of affects recalls and service contracts that state that you can take your machine to any dealership and affects internet dealers as well? Or did I merely run into one dealer?
    2016 RT Limited , Black

Spyder Garage

I had a dess code problem on one trip and on a long trip needed a rear tire replaced had great service from both stores.
    I do not like what the guy at your store said so can feel your concern. I do not know what I would do in your shoes. I hope it all works out.

Kenn

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

This is not a unique attitude at all; auto dealers will also put you at the back of the line for service, if you didn't buy from them.
    And why not?? If a customer is "all-in" for a particular dealer; why shouldn't they receive a bit of preferential treatment, over others that have purchased elsewhere?

Having said this: my dealer pretty plays it "straight up". Your bike gets serviced based upon your position in their line, and they don't "re-shuffle the deck".
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Car dealers do the same thing. They may not say it like that but they do.
    2010 RTSM5

2010 RTSM5 , stock Stock Silver

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    This is not a unique attitude at all; auto dealers will also put you at the back of the line for service, if you didn't buy from them.
    And why not?? If a customer is "all-in" for a particular dealer; why shouldn't they receive a bit of preferential treatment, over others that have purchased elsewhere?

For a business that sells and services, it only make sense that the customer that purchased their unit from them would receive a higher priority when it comes to service or any other related activity. This is also normal when it comes to discounts on service costs, parts and/or accessories. That is just how life is.

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I think that attitude is directed more at local customers and non-emergency service, not out of town travelers.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

You Have TWO dealers within 100 miles? That's what stood out for me in your post.

I have TWO dealers within TWO STATES.
    Flatlander, Navy Veteran, Widower
    Loved my 2014 RTS SE6 Pearl white
    but have a new love now,
    my 2017 RTS SE6 Champagne metallic (Champ)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Tyris View Post
    Have one dealer a few miles away and next closest is about 100 miles a way and dealer closest to me says well if you go with this other dealer you will miss out on our great customer service. So asked point blank that if I do not purchase my machine from you will you not service my can-am? The answer, well we will but we take care of "our" customers first and when we are busy during the summer you might have to wait.

Is this how it is?

Because if it is I'm not 100 percent sure that I want to be a Can-am owner and my reasoning is fairly simple. If I'm 500 miles from home and spyder goes into Limp Mode I really can't afford to come across a dealer with this attitude and hear, "We'd really like to help you here but Bob over there needs his oil changed maybe we can get to you in a couple of days."

The Can-am dealership network is a concern to me anyway since they are not like Harley dealers that dot the map like Starbucks, but if some have this attitude well it makes it even worse.

And it kind of affects recalls and service contracts that state that you can take your machine to any dealership and affects internet dealers as well? Or did I merely run into one dealer?
    Sounds like the salesman just trying to get the sale. Buy it, enjoy it, and stop worrying so much.

2015 F3 SE6

Very Active Member cognaccruiser's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Traditionally bike dealers will go out of their way to help people when then are from out of town on a road trip. This has been shown to be true for Spyder dealers too. I see your scenario as a little different.

Gary
    States visited by Bike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Tyris View Post

Is this how it is?

I bought my spyder in Alexandria mn, and the local dealer Moorhead marine services it and also stores it. I worked at a auto dealer in fargo, nd and we took all the customers and non customers vehicles in order that the came in. we never gave preferential treatment to anyone except travelers who came in off the road with car troubles. it is all about the dealers attitude.

Spyder Garage

Default Depends....

You have to know more than one person at a dealer to get an acurate feel for the place. The techs will work on whatever and seldom know where the unit came from. The service / writer manager would control that and is responsible for make the shop profitable so would not discriminate (one would think). Now the sales folks are mostly on commission and will say anything to get you to buy. A good salesperson will not do so by threats. I would go to the owner/general manager and point blank ask him....Agree that most traveler have found great service while on the road....
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

I purchased my 2015 Rt Ltd from a dealer in Regina, Sk. which is about 140 miles from me because the deal was better than my local dealer in Saskatoon, Sk. which is 50 miles away. I had bought my previous 2012 RTS from Saskatoon and had them service it as well. With the new bike I like to go back to my dealer for service but it is not always possible, my old dealer however is more than happy to service it as long as I make an appointment which is also their policy for there own customers.

I have also had to have a tire change and small service issues done while on trips and I have been treated very well by BRP dealers while away from home. Any that I have dealt with treat " emergency" repairs with priority, which is how it should be.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Dealerships will say that but it really is not true. When you call to make an appointment, they look at their schedule and fit you in where they can. Do you think that they actually keep slots open "incase" a customer that purchased at their dealership calls for an appointment. Its all dealership bull crap to guilt you in to keeping you from moving to the next dealership. I always shop around for the best price for purchasing new and for regular service I find the prices vary greatly. This does not prevent you from getting the evil eye from the sales guy the next time your at the Dealership you did not purchase from. I would love to purchase locally but I have saved thousands going to a dealership 2 hours away.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Tazzel View Post
    Dealerships will say that but it really is not true. When you call to make an appointment, they look at their schedule and fit you in where they can. Do you think that they actually keep slots open "incase" a customer that purchased at their dealership calls for an appointment. Its all dealership bull crap to guilt you in to keeping you from moving to the next dealership. I always shop around for the best price for purchasing new and for regular service I find the prices vary greatly. This does not prevent you from getting the evil eye from the sales guy the next time your at the Dealership you did not purchase from. I would love to purchase locally but I have saved thousands going to a dealership 2 hours away.
    This is my exact experience. Saved over $8000 on two machines by shopping around and my local dealership takes care of me just fine. They make plenty of money off me lol

Spyder Garage

You asked the wrong guy! The sales guy has his needs (sales goal) and the service guy has his needs (his goals...P&L statement). But, now you know the sales guy will lie to you, so that's good. I wouldn't be surprised to learn that this dealer is violating his Can Am franchise agreement.

Spyder Garage

Smile Dealer Attitude

Hello

I have a dealer near me that states the same thing about customers who by from him will get preferential service. Well I told him that if he wanted to sell me a RT at my price I would buy. He didn't some I took my business to his competitor, but I use his dealership for maintenance service. And yes if he is busy, I might have to wait an extra day before he completes my service. No big deal.

Blade

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Blade View Post
    Hello

I have a dealer near me that states the same thing about customers who by from him will get preferential service. Well I told him that if he wanted to sell me a RT at my price I would buy. He didn't some I took my business to his competitor, but I use his dealership for maintenance service. And yes if he is busy, I might have to wait an extra day before he completes my service. No big deal.

Blade
    Exactly, why does the local dealer not give me preferential treatment!! I purchased locally the first time around. 3 years later I had smarten up some and started shopping around when I planed to purchase my second Spyder. I thought my local dealer would match any price given because I was a returning customer. Nope not at all. It works both ways buster!!!

Spyder Garage

Default My personal experiene.

I travel approximately 20k miles a year on my Spyder. I have had very little emergencies...but have had some while on the road (Plus the 998 engine liked an oil change more often than the 1330). I have never ever had a dealership not want to HELP me get back on the road as quickly as possible. BUT when I have an emergency if I don't know the reputation of dealer in area I will post on Facebook and/or Spyderlovers mentioning my issue and asking for a dealer referral.
    One example...back when I had my 2010 RT it locked in gear in TN...got on Slovers as my roadside (and get a really good raodside worth the cost) said the nearest dealer was like 36 miles..Checking with this forum found out that that dealer is BAD NEWS BEAR....they ten told me where a reallly good dealer was. 169 miles away. Little discussion with roadside and they agreed to take me to the 169 mile dealer. That dealer was waiting when we rolled in...immediately took Spyder in and found issue (I'm totally non mechanical so I was no help)...he did not have the part BUT he quickly took the needed spline from a new for sale spyder on his sales floor. Fixed me up and I was out the door 2 hours later.

Another issue I had a 622 trailer from HELL...BRP was working on getting all things aligned with their procedures, but I was traveling way far away from WA...again they BRP worked out and they would have tires waiting to be mounted when I got to the next dealership...again those dealers rolled me right in and swapped tires and helped me get home to my closest dealer for complete rehaul of trailer.

Just my experiences...but I'm pretty sure if a dealer shared that attitude with me I'd think hmmmmm not. Of course my nearest dealer is 4 hrs away!!!
    My Motto Is:
    Live my life in such a way that when my feet hit the floor in the morning...Satan shudders & says "Oh, crap, SHE'S awake!"

Red Stallion: 2016 F3t SE6 (from Pitbull PowerSports/ Springfield, MO)
    White Knight: 2014 RTS SE6 and matching 622 trailer (from Pitbull
    PowerSports/ Springfield, MO)
    Ms Spydee: 2010 RT SE5

Spyder Garage

I have found that if you are on a trip and something happens dealers will get you in as soon as possible. Of course there can always be a bad one.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk
    2014 Spyder RTS

Tri Axis Handlebars
    Big Bike Trailer Harness
    Rivco Front Bumper (Black)
    Rivco Highway Pegs
    Ultimate Seat
    Garmin GPS
    Trailer Hitch
    Aluma XL Trailer
    Stainless Grill Covers
    Cupholder
    Spring Stiffeners
    Rivco Floorboards

Spyder Garage

Let me ask you this, will a dealer make more money on the initial sale or the service of a vehicle for the duration of the life of the vehicle. I would assume that a dealer will make money with regard to warranty work as well as any boots, helmets, tee-shirts etc etc.

I'm not in the business, but I'm thinking long term income rather than one-shot income would be the one where the most money is made?
    2016 RT Limited , Black

Spyder Garage

car dealers do it all the time. if you buy a chevy from one dealer, then go to another for service, they will screw with you. but if your out of town, and bring your bike or car into a dealer away from home, they don't have a problem with that
    NO BIKE AT THIS TIME

Spyder Garage

Default Dealer Attitude

You don't have to worry where do you want to buy or where do you want to bring your bike to service . Dealer have to service no matter where do you buy . if they don't honest service you call the factory let them know and if they still not do your service they will loose to carry and sale what ever vehicle they sale ,just don't worry and go to buy what vehicle you want to buy

Spyder Garage

Default Exactly

But if you're considering buying from a different dealer than the closest one, there's a reason or three. Price? Selection? Your nephew works at the dealership further away and you want him to get the commission from the sale? These are issues that your nearest dealer should get an opportunity to overcome, but he cannot if he doesn't know what they are. Speak plainly to him about why you might purchase further from home and give him a chance to earn your business.

This sounds like a bit of a dysfunctional conversation to me. If the dealer is using veiled threats to motivate people to purchase, he's already lost your business. So he's either a moron or there's a back story here you're not telling us.

In any event, the "hometown" bias only applies in their economic influence zone. And it is pretty universal in the vehicle industry: boats, cars/trucks, motorcycles, ATVs, RVs, ...you name it. In fact, you probably don't want to have Men's Warehouse do the alterations on a suit you bought at the Joseph A Bank down the street, either.

P.S. If you don't think HD shops play this game you're wrong.
    Quote Originally Posted by IdahoMtnSpyder View Post
    I think that attitude is directed more at local customers and non-emergency service, not out of town travelers.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I guess that if you bought from another dealer because you got a great price: I hope that it was great enough...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 4 MARIE View Post
    You Have TWO dealers within 100 miles? That's what stood out for me in your post.

I have TWO dealers within TWO STATES.
    And we have only one dealer in the whole state of Alaska. The nearest "other" dealers are now 1500 miles east (Whitehorse YK Territory) and 2000 miles (Washington State).

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red