Spyder Garage

Default Electrical Question

Does anyone have the "Gear Brake" brake light flashing module on their Spyder? Now, if there is someone that has this on their Spyder,do you also have a Bump Skid Plate w/Led's?

The reason I ask, is I have both. I recently put one of the brake modules on my 2014 RTL. I had one on my 2010 and loved the idea that when you hit the brake, your brake light flashed 5-6 times, then stayed solid, as to get the attention of someone behind you. Well I just noticed the other night in the garage that for some reason, without the key on, or the bike running, I pushed down on the brake pedal. Brake lights flashed as should, BUT I noticed that when my foot was on the brake, the LED's on the skid plate and the fender marker lights also came on as long as my foot was on the pedal (key off/not running). The Led's did not flash like the brake lights, but just the same, they came on.
    I checked about how the skid plate lights were hooked up, and was told they were wired into the marker lights on the fenders. I just spoke to the Gear Brake guys, and they don't understand what would do that, but they only have a ground, a wire to power, and wire to brake lights. It's a Plu-n-Play setup. Disconnect connector under the seat for brakes, and hookup the module. Very simple.
    If anyone has same setup let me know if you noticed it doing the same thing on your bike. I have only had the bike out riding for about an hour since putting on the brake flasher, so I don't want it to cause some problem with the Canbus system or whatever it is called, and strand me somewhere on one of our long trips.
    2014 Can Am Spyder RT Limited - Pearl White
    2010 Can Am Spyder RT - Full Moon

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I have the GearBrake module on a 2014 RT. It was easy to install and works well.
    2014 RTSS , Cogna/ black

Spyder Garage

Yes it was, but do you have the bump skid with lights?

Quote Originally Posted by joebryanjr View Post
    I have the GearBrake module on a 2014 RT. It was easy to install and works well.

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SteveandBelinda View Post
    Does anyone have the "Gear Brake" brake light flashing module on their Spyder? Now, if there is someone that has this on their Spyder,do you also have a Bump Skid Plate w/Led's?

The reason I ask, is I have both. I recently put one of the brake modules on my 2014 RTL. I had one on my 2010 and loved the idea that when you hit the brake, your brake light flashed 5-6 times, then stayed solid, as to get the attention of someone behind you. Well I just noticed the other night in the garage that for some reason, without the key on, or the bike running, I pushed down on the brake pedal. Brake lights flashed as should, BUT I noticed that when my foot was on the brake, the LED's on the skid plate and the fender marker lights also came on as long as my foot was on the pedal (key off/not running). The Led's did not flash like the brake lights, but just the same, they came on.
    I checked about how the skid plate lights were hooked up, and was told they were wired into the marker lights on the fenders. I just spoke to the Gear Brake guys, and they don't understand what would do that, but they only have a ground, a wire to power, and wire to brake lights. It's a Plu-n-Play setup. Disconnect connector under the seat for brakes, and hookup the module. Very simple.
    If anyone has same setup let me know if you noticed it doing the same thing on your bike. I have only had the bike out riding for about an hour since putting on the brake flasher, so I don't want it to cause some problem with the Canbus system or whatever it is called, and strand me somewhere on one of our long trips.
    Check out this thread from this point on. http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...=1#post1198496

tmcquain had this same problem but never reported back if he got it solved. Send him a PM and ask him. It has no connection to CANBUS.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Default Depends....

Where all these modules are connected and getting their power. It would seem you have some on the same circuit....
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Chupaca View Post
    Where all these modules are connected and getting their power. It would seem you have some on the same circuit....
    Looking at the Gearbrake instructions and the RT wiring diagram the only thing I can see is a cross feed is occurring inside the module from the brake signal and the 12 v power feed into the module. With the bike ignition turned off when the brake is pressed power from the brake lead is cross feeding into the 12 v power feed. The 12 v power feed is connected to the same circuit as the plate and tail lights which also feeds the front fender lights to which the bumpskid is connected.

Steve, if you will look I'm absolutely sure you will see the tail lights and plate light also turn on when you press the brake.

I really believe there is an electrical circuit design flaw in the Gearbrake module. Power should not feed backwards from the brake signal into the input power feed. The 12 v input power is needed to operate the trigger that makes and breaks the feed to the brake lights to create the flashing.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.

Spyder Garage

I sent an email to Gearbrake asking them to review the circuit design inside the brake module. I tried to make it very clear that a cross feed inside the module is the ONLY explanation for what SteveandBelinda and tmcquain are seeing. There absolutely is a design flaw in the Gearbrake module. The cross feed should NOT be happening.

2014 Copper RTS

Spyder Garage

The only real solution at this point is to put a relay in the module 12 volt power feed line and activate the relay from the tail light circuit.

2014 Copper RTS

Spyder Garage

Called Gear Brake and talked to Jason. Said that he would look over the circuitry again and let me know if he finds anything wrong. It doesn't bother me, just don't want it hurting anything, or stranding me somewhere because of this electrical situation, or voiding warranty. I also sent message to the other guy, like you said, to see what he ended up finding out.

Spyder Garage

Called Gear Brake and talked to Jason. Said that he would look over the circuitry again and let me know if he finds anything wrong. It doesn't bother me, just don't want it hurting anything, or stranding me somewhere because of this electrical situation, or voiding warranty. I also sent message to the other guy, like you said, to see what he ended up finding out.
    Do you have a voltmeter? If so, disconnect the 12 volt power in from the module and measure the voltage on it when you press the brake. I'm curious if a full 12 volts back feeds through. The only potential problem or damage that might occur is if the fuse blows in the tail light circuit because of a short, or whatever. Then when you press the brake you would be feeding power into that circuit after the blown fuse. If there is a real problem that caused the fuse to blow, then you potentially have another real problem when you feed power to the circuit by way of the brake circuit.

Low, or very low, probability, but possible.

Check to make sure the brake light goes on when you press the brake and have the 12 v power in disconnected. I expect it will in order to have a fail safe system. You want the brake light to work even if the tail light fuse blows. You just won't have the flashing feature working. If it does work that way if it were my bike I'd put a relay into the power in line just to be super safe.

2014 Copper RTS

Spyder Garage

Default Just a thought

I have seen problems like this in the past but NOT on the Spyder.
    Driving Semi's as will as my personal auto I have had other lights turn on as I activated the brake and it always turned out to be a bad ground somewhere cauasing the the circuit to back feed and turning on the different circuit.
    Just a thought
    Dick Harding
    Boise,ID
    2011 Spyder RT SE5 Limited

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!

Large1 is online now Report Post

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Large1 View Post
    I have seen problems like this in the past but NOT on the Spyder.
    Driving Semi's as will as my personal auto I have had other lights turn on as I activated the brake and it always turned out to be a bad ground somewhere cauasing the the circuit to back feed and turning on the different circuit.
    Just a thought
    That will occur when you have incandescent bulbs. In this case though, the skid plate and fender lights are LEDs, which won't light up when the voltage is reversed. Reverse voltage is the case when you have back feeds due to lack of grounding. Because the OP's bump skid and fender lights turn on when the brake lights turn on that indicates the ground is good and the input to them is getting powered up somewhere downstream of the turned off ignition.

2014 Copper RTS

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoMtnSpyder View Post
    That will occur when you have incandescent bulbs. In this case though, the skid plate and fender lights are LEDs, which won't light up when the voltage is reversed. Reverse voltage is the case when you have back feeds due to lack of grounding. Because the OP's bump skid and fender lights turn on when the brake lights turn on that indicates the ground is good and the input to them is getting powered up somewhere downstream of the turned off ignition.
    The LEDs and reverse Voltage is something I didn't think about so I will just shut up and watch and learn.
    Next time it will be think before speaking LOL
    Dick Harding
    Boise,ID
    2011 Spyder RT SE5 Limited

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!

Large1 is online now Report Post

Spyder Garage

Me too. Not what you are wanting me to check? Disconnect plug n play, and measure voltage coming into module, or out of module?

Spyder Garage

Me too. Not what you are wanting me to check? Disconnect plug n play, and measure voltage coming into module, or out of module?
    You have the Can Am adapter harness, right? Leave it plugged into the bike wiring. There are four wires going into the module that plug into the wires of the adapter harness, right? At least that's what I gather looking at their installation instructions and product pages. One is ground, one is 12 volt power in, one is brake signal in, and the fourth is brake signal out. Two of the pigtail wires on the adapter harness tap into (spliced into) the power to the tail lights and the ground wire in the bike harness. The adapter harness breaks the wire going to the brake lights so that one pigtail sends the brake signal from the brake switch into the module and the module then sends the signal to the brake lights via the fourth pigtail.

Disconnect the 12 volt power in pigtail, step on the brake and check to see that the brake light comes on. If so, then check for voltage on the 12 volt power in wire of the module. If, as I think what is happening, you will see voltage coming out from the module through the 12 volt power in wire. If you do see that, that will confirm there is a cross connect inside the module that feeds voltage from the brake signal to the power in wire. That should not be happening. In other words, power should only go into the module from the tail light circuit when the ignition is on, but never should there be power coming out of the module through the power in wire.

I hope this clears it up. If not, ask away.

2014 Copper RTS