Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast
    Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by loisk View Post
    Our dmv, VicRoads, calls it a Tri-Car - but we need full motorcycle license to ride it.

There is no logic...

Here in the States we used to have car-like pickup trucks called El Camino's and Ranchero's. Some people called them cartrucks. Or how about a sliding glass door in your house? Normally they are called either sliding doors (duh) or patio doors (because that is where they usually lead). But some people call them.....wait for it......doorwalls.

I think most of those people work at the DMV.

Spyder Garage

In Australia, we generally call those 'car-like pickup trucks' Utes, or a Utility, or some (few?) back country types even call them 'tilleys (altho not as many these days as there used to be!)

The original concept converted a 2 or 4 door passenger car into a 2 door tub back utility vehicle with the tub panels merging seamlessly into the panels of the front passenger section.... apparently an Aussie innovation from the early 1930's, as opposed to the separate panel construction of the Pick-up trucks more common in the US.

Over time, the term 'Ute' in this country has expanded to include any 2 or 4 door basically passenger derived vehicle with an integrated tub or tray cargo section on the back; so these days, most of our smallish tub-back or tray-top vehicles are called utes too! That means we've got Work utes, Sports utes, Off-road or 4WD utes, as well as Single Cab, Extra Cab, & Dual Cab utes, & we've even got a hotly contended national V8 Ute Racing Category too!! Basically, if it looks like it might be based on or derived from a car, wagon, or a light truck & it's got a tub or tray back, then here in Aus, it's a Ute!

But when it comes to Spyders, Victoria is our only State to categorise them as Tri-cars & yet still require a motorcycle licence to operate one?!? Not that some of the other States don't have odd names, definitions, or requirements, but they all agree that a Spyder is a motorcycle of some sort! Still, I'm pretty sure that we have many of the same 'special' type of people working in our DMV's as you do, but thankfully, we've also got a fair few dedicated & helpful people too!!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 08-08-2017 at 08:16 PM.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Default Yoko

2014 Rts yellow with Yoko s drive. I've put almost 15,000
    on the Yoko. Rode with two up on rainy days, great control. Two up on long distance, easy. Me on rainy days, no problem, even at high speed. Right now I have more than half tread wear. Great tire recommended by a fellow Rider.

Spyder Garage

Default no

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderConvert View Post
    Picked up my Spyder from its first service yesterday and the service manager at the dealership said that he was at Homecoming; he said that he was told by BRP that several dealers had lost their franchise (?) because they were installing non-Kenda tires. He said that it was a liability issue. So, my question for those that have had their tires replaced with non-Kendas, did you remove the rear wheel and take it to a tire dealer to have it mounted and balanced?
    no took to surprise AZ RN
    $99 changed tire on rear

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by DJFaninTN View Post
    OK, we all know there are more than a few New Rear Tire Questions that can be found on here, but some of them kind of go off subject and get in a pissing contest. I am getting ready to replace mine after 14k miles on the stock tire and finally found a dealer who is willing to replace the old tire with what tire I pick.

My question is this for those of you who have replaced your tire with a non Kendra tire. What tire did you choose and how many miles have you put on your new tire? Oh, and what PSI are you running?? I've narrowed my selection down to the following and leaning towards the Yokohama or Michelin. Not interested in going back to a Kendra tire.

Yokohama S-Drive 205/55 R15

Michelin Premier A/S 205/60 R-15

Dunlop Direzza DZ102 205/50 R15

General Altimax RT 43 215/60-15
    General Altimax RT 43 215/60-15 I got 23,000 at 26 lbs I do not ride two up and have a 2011 RTS I just installed a cooper star fire,

Spyder Garage

After wading in quite deep and trying to read as many posts as possible, I decided to go with the Yoko S.drive. Ordered from discount tire and will be here tomorrow. Paid around 91 with free shipping. Called the local dealer and he will do all the work to mount it for 90 bucks but I would have to drop the bike off for several days till he gets around to doing it. He wanted 295 to sell and mount a Kenda. Another MC shop will do it all for about 120. Debating whether to just do it myself.

I did drop both wheels on my Honda Silverwing this summer and had the tires changed, and I think the Swing rear tire had more stuff to move out of the way than this bike does. But I know it will come at the cost of some aches and pains since I'm no spring chicken and this type of work tends to do that to me. I've seen the videos, so I know what I would be getting into. Decisions, decisions...
    2010 RT SE5 , Black

Spyder Garage

Had Thornolis install my Yokohama S drives on my 2015 RT. Running 26psi up front and 32psi in the back.

Absolutely positively love these tires. You can feel the superior side walls.

Most importantly! They look awesome! They don't look like a simple car tire. They look fast!
    2015 RT Limited: Fox Shocks - RonJon swaybar and links - BRP Comfort Seat - BRP Triaxis handlebars - Yokohama tires (26psi fronts 28psi back) - Centramatic wheel balancers - BRP belt tensioner - BRP Short windshield - CATdelete/Spyder1 attitude exhaust - Lamonster footpegs - sintered brake pads - LED TRYCLED lights - BumpSkid

2015 RT Limited , black

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by tehrlich View Post
    Had Thornolis install my Yokohama S drives on my 2015 RT. Running 26psi up front and 32psi in the back.
    Keep a close watch on those tires! Your pressures are high compared to what most all of us have found to work best, especially the rear. Most of us are in the range of 18 - 21 front and 20 - 25 rear.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default 32 psi

Absolutely positively love these tires. You can feel the superior side walls.

Most importantly! They look awesome! They don't look like a simple car tire. They look fast!
    32 psi is even higher than what is recommended for the Kenda which is one of the poorest tires made ( for Spyders ).... Here's some Science as opposed to Bar Stool BS..... the construction of the Yoko you have is sooooo much stronger than the Kenda ....it doesn't need 32 psi to support the weight of the Spyder ..... please lower it to 18 psi and go test drive that and see how much better your ride is ..... Me & Peter Aawen have explained the science about 2 or 3 dozen times each so it's in the achieves if you care to read it ....... Mike

Spyder Garage

Well, I've read all the posts about psi and every type of tire we can use. I started out with 18 in the fronts and it was a great improvement to the crappy Kenda's. Noticed it immediately.

However, there was still a lot of roll in the tires that I could feel. I kept bumping them up a couple psi's and rode them hard, like I like.

Finally reached a psi that gave me the performance that I desired. Plus, the rolling resistance is so much better. Feels like glass.

I realize the Yoko's can handle lower psi's, but there is no way you'll convince me that my ride is better at 17 or 18. That feels like mush to me now. Even feels less stable.

I was a professional ski instructor for many years, and raced. We were constantly tweaking things to make turns harder and more dynamic. This isn't any different. I just cranked down my boot buckles and stiffened my bindings.
    2015 RT Limited: Fox Shocks - RonJon swaybar and links - BRP Comfort Seat - BRP Triaxis handlebars - Yokohama tires (26psi fronts 28psi back) - Centramatic wheel balancers - BRP belt tensioner - BRP Short windshield - CATdelete/Spyder1 attitude exhaust - Lamonster footpegs - sintered brake pads - LED TRYCLED lights - BumpSkid

2015 RT Limited , black

Spyder Garage

Default 32 PSI

Well, I've read all the posts about psi and every type of tire we can use. I started out with 18 in the fronts and it was a great improvement to the crappy Kenda's. Noticed it immediately.

However, there was still a lot of roll in the tires that I could feel. I kept bumping them up a couple psi's and rode them hard, like I like.

Finally reached a psi that gave me the performance that I desired. Plus, the rolling resistance is so much better. Feels like glass.

I realize the Yoko's can handle lower psi's, but there is no way you'll convince me that my ride is better at 17 or 18. That feels like mush to me now. Even feels less stable.

I was a professional ski instructor for many years, and raced. We were constantly tweaking things to make turns harder and more dynamic. This isn't any different. I just cranked down my boot buckles and stiffened my bindings.
    .... I have skied & raced back in the day ( I'm now 70 + ) also .... But what does that have to do with the PSI in an car tire used on a Spyder. ??? .... I was also a trained Accident Investigator, qualified to testify in Court as an Expert.... So my recommendations concerning PSI in your tires are not based on " Butt Based Opinion " ..... Sooooooo if you want to ride around on a Rock Hard tire and Prevent it from performing at it's full potential, ...well that's what your going to do, and all the science isn't going to matter ....... Ride Safe - Ride Happy ...........and RIDE ALONE wearing Full Leathers with the Armor inserts ........ PS, nothing I said on this post was intended to hurt your feelings & I hope they weren't ...... Mike

Spyder Garage

Your tires might FEEL like they're handling well & they probably are rolling smoother/easier than they would at lower pressure tehrlich, but a steel railway rim would probably roll even smoother on a clean enough road/track!!

The fact is that by running pressures like that on those tires under your Spyder tehrlich, you ARE sacrificing traction & tire life (& the ability to clear water off the road surface as well as flexing enough to avoid punctures) to get the 'feeling' that you've erroneously trained yourself to think is better, despite the science that shows otherwise!!

Lots of people did the same thing when radial tires were first introduced - they were USED to the solid FEEL of running bias ply tires at much higher pressures than those necessary to let the softer & stickier differently constructed radial tires hold more of the tread flat on the road surface during cornering, so they tried running similar pressures to what they put in their bias plys in their new radials! Luckily, only some of them died, most learnt that they had to 'un-learn' the need for that feeling that a tire wasn't gripping & working properly unless it was rock hard, & learn that lower pressures in radials increased traction & tire life by allowing the tire to flex enough to hold the tread flat on the road surface during cornering AND allowed it to flex & conform over obstacles & pebbles etc at the same time as maximising tire tread life & traction.

You are now inthe same situation - you've (erroneously) LEARNT to chase a certain FEEL, but with a real tire under your Spyder, you need to un-learn that & learn what it SHOULD feel like to run the lower pressures that will provide MUCH better traction & longer tire life!! That's why tire professionals should be telling you to check the pressure, & NEVER rely on FEEL or the LOOK of your tires - it's too easy to be WAAAAY WRONG!

Ditto to what Mike said above.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 11-14-2017 at 10:23 PM.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

LOL. The fact that I have spent countless hours tweaking other sport endeavors of my life tells me that I can trust what I'm feeling in a turn. Aaah.... a turn.... I've spent years diagramming, diagnosing, and determining what happens during a turn from professional skiing, mountain biking, road bike racing, and cars.

But, I respect your expertise on a three-wheeled machine because you have a propensity to announce it.

I tell you what... I'm sure we will meet in our Spyder travels. Let's race! You keep your tires at 18psi/25psi, and let me put them at dangerous levels and we'll see what happens. We can ride time trials because you fear for my safety. I'll wear leathers!

LOL!!

With ALL SERIOUSNESS.... I'm going to put my psi at where I want because my stallion performs at the level I WANT. I'm thinking that you've never really taken a Spyder to the level I have. You like it soft and cushy. Not me.

2015 RT Limited , black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Aawen View Post
    Your tires might FEEL like they're handling well & they probably are rolling smoother/easier than they would at lower pressure tehrlich, but a steel railway rim would probably roll even smoother on a clean enough road/track!!

The fact is that by running pressures like that on those tires under your Spyder tehrlich, you ARE sacrificing traction & tire life (& the ability to clear water off the road surface as well as flexing enough to avoid punctures) to get the 'feeling' that you've erroneously trained yourself to think is better, despite the science that shows otherwise!!

Lots of people did the same thing when radial tires were first introduced - they were USED to the solid FEEL of running bias ply tires at much higher pressures than those necessary to let the softer & stickier differently constructed radial tires hold more of the tread flat on the road surface during cornering, so they tried running similar pressures to what they put in their bias plys in their new radials! Luckily, only some of them died, most learnt that they had to 'un-learn' the need for that feeling that a tire wasn't gripping & working properly unless it was rock hard, & learn that lower pressures in radials increased traction & tire life by allowing the tire to flex enough to hold the tread flat on the road surface during cornering AND allowed it to flex & conform over obstacles & pebbles etc at the same time as maximising tire tread life & traction.

You are now inthe same situation - you've (erroneously) LEARNT to chase a certain FEEL, but with a real tire under your Spyder, you need to un-learn that & learn what it SHOULD feel like to run the lower pressures that will provide MUCH better traction & longer tire life!! That's why tire professionals should be telling you to check the pressure, & NEVER rely on FEEL or the LOOK of your tires - it's too easy to be WAAAAY WRONG!

Ditto to what Mike said above.
    You assume that I haven't run my tires under your LOW psi's! I have for months. The turns are sloppy. Now they are like on rails where I've placed them.

I'm good. I'll enjoy where they are. WAAAY right for me, thanks.

2015 RT Limited , black

Spyder Garage

Default 32 PSI

LOL. The fact that I have spent countless hours tweaking other sport endeavors of my life tells me that I can trust what I'm feeling in a turn. Aaah.... a turn.... I've spent years diagramming, diagnosing, and determining what happens during a turn from professional skiing, mountain biking, road bike racing, and cars.

But, I respect your expertise on a three-wheeled machine because you have a propensity to announce it.

I tell you what... I'm sure we will meet in our Spyder travels. Let's race! You keep your tires at 18psi/25psi, and let me put them at dangerous levels and we'll see what happens. We can ride time trials because you fear for my safety. I'll wear leathers!

LOL!!

With ALL SERIOUSNESS.... I'm going to put my psi at where I want because my stallion performs at the level I WANT. I'm thinking that you've never really taken a Spyder to the level I have. You like it soft and cushy. Not me.
    ..., I'm not sure who the above was meant for..... But I'm Drooling at the prospect of this challenge ... I only have about 75,000 miles on 3 different Spyders, a at a sanctioned Drag race track ( Spyderfest 2014 ), and have designed custom suspension parts for All Spyders .... I hope you bring your registration to this and are willing to put it up to the winner and or bring lots & lots of $$$$$$ ........ PS, my RT carries 15psi front 17psi rear - - -because of SCIENCE and not my Butt ...... Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by HayRog View Post
    I like these positive reports on the Kumho's as my dealer won't entertain a car tire as a replacement.
    Another happy Kumho rider.
    To the OP...Did you deliberately leave the Kumho out of your selection ?
    If it ain't broke, don't break it.
    IBA #47122
    2020 RT Limited Asphalt Grey

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    ..., I'm not sure who the above was meant for..... But I'm Drooling at the prospect of this challenge ... I only have about 75,000 miles on 3 different Spyders, a at a sanctioned Drag race track ( Spyderfest 2014 ), and have designed custom suspension parts for All Spyders .... I hope you bring your registration to this and are willing to put it up to the winner and or bring lots & lots of $$$$$$ ........ PS, my RT carries 15psi front 17psi rear - - -because of SCIENCE and not my Butt ...... Mike

LOL> Yes... custom this and custom that. But, it's not OK to customize some psi in tires?

How about suspension rebound and compression? Is that OK to customize? Or, do I set it at what you say? You did get a first prize in a sanctioned drag race! Sanctioned! That's awesome. I hear they are running nightly. LOL.

How about weight distribution? Can I customize that, or do I have to set it at what you say? Or, will you just shout in capital blue letters at me because I don't do what is your science?

So, if I see with my eyes the roll of the sidewall during a turn at 18 psi, I shouldn't consider bumping up psi because someone tells me that science says otherwise. Well, I trust my eyes and what I've personally seen.

I'm sorry, but I'll be glad to keep my tires and suspension where I put them. And, I'll be glad to race when we meet. I do like your "Fonzie" attitude, though. Would love to see you jump the hotdog stand.

2015 RT Limited , black

Spyder Garage

Default 32 PSI ....plus Shouting ????

LOL> Yes... custom this and custom that. But, it's not OK to customize some psi in tires?

How about suspension rebound and compression? Is that OK to customize? Or, do I set it at what you say? You did get a first prize in a sanctioned drag race! Sanctioned! That's awesome. I hear they are running nightly. LOL.

How about weight distribution? Can I customize that, or do I have to set it at what you say? Or, will you just shout in capital blue letters at me because I don't do what is your science?

So, if I see with my eyes the roll of the sidewall during a turn at 18 psi, I shouldn't consider bumping up psi because someone tells me that science says otherwise. Well, I trust my eyes and what I've personally seen.

I'm sorry, but I'll be glad to keep my tires and suspension where I put them. And, I'll be glad to race when we meet. I do like your "Fonzie" attitude, though. Would love to see you jump the hotdog stand.
    I'm now realizing what I'm dealing with on this ..... in reference to " shout in capital blue letters " ? ? ? ...since you can't even tell the difference between upper case and lower case type ...understanding the Science behind lower psi's is above your Pay Grade ( so to speak )........ I have been aware that for some people " Never let FACTS get in the way " ...is a Mind Set that is rarely changed ....... And I also realize I'm on this subject, so I'll just say prayers for any passengers you might be carrying ...... Mike

Spyder Garage

I'm now realizing what I'm dealing with on this ..... in reference to " shout in capital blue letters " ? ? ? ...since you can't even tell the difference between upper case and lower case type ...understanding the Science behind lower psi's is above your Pay Grade ( so to speak )........ I have been aware that for some people " Never let FACTS get in the way " ...is a Mind Set that is rarely changed ....... And I also realize I'm on this subject, so I'll just say prayers for any passengers you might be carrying ...... Mike

Facts? The fact is that you do yell online. Do you not capitalize letters and increase font and throw in a bunch of "how expert you are?" Have you not run into this in the past with other posters on this site? If you say "No" I know you're being disingenuous.

You can pray for my passengers, I'll pray for those that have to deal with you daily.

(I'll give you the "blue" reference, though. You are right. You use red font, and have to specifically select that color instead of black. Just another form of aggressive (red) communication. Good night Fonz.)

Love my 26psi upfront but am willing to dial in the psi on my rear tire again. But, NOT because of your excellent communication style.

2015 RT Limited , black

Spyder Garage

Default 32 psi

Facts? The fact is that you do yell online. Do you not capitalize letters and increase font and throw in a bunch of "how expert you are?" Have you not run into this in the past with other posters on this site? If you say "No" I know you're being disingenuous.

You can pray for my passengers, I'll pray for those that have to deal with you daily.

(I'll give you the "blue" reference, though. You are right. You use red font, and have to specifically select that color instead of black. Just another form of aggressive (red) communication. Good night Fonz.)

Love my 26psi upfront but am willing to dial in the psi on my rear tire again. But, NOT because of your excellent communication style.
    .................................................. .........................................." L "​................................................. ................................................

Spyder Garage

Facts?

Sorry, I'm deliberately sitting out this flame war, but you piqued my curiosity.
    What tires are you running up front ?
    26 psi is WAY too much for the Kendas, but I'm thinking of new rubber all around in the spring.
    If it ain't broke, don't break it.
    IBA #47122
    2020 RT Limited Asphalt Grey

Spyder Garage

Default New Tire and Wheel RT

Wheel.jpg

New BRP RT Chrome Rim and Kumho Tire ready to install
    Thank You
    Mark Light

Live Long and Ride Hard

Spyder Garage

.................................................. .........................................." L "​................................................. ................................................

This is so "90's!" Time to come into the 21st century.

2015 RT Limited , black

Spyder Garage

I've always tweaked my sports equipment. (That's "tweaked" not "twerked." Just want to be clear so my VT friend knows the difference and can use 21st century vernacular.)

I'm not afraid to be wrong either. So, this morning I lowered the psi's of all three of my Yokohamas to 18psi in the front and 26psi for the rear tire. (I wouldn't take it to 17psi for sheer spite. I'll admit that.)

Rode to work this morning and made sure to go to a very windy road near my house. There is one corner that is part of a low water crossing. I run it every day, and every day there is a hop of the tires at that same corner with the same line with the same speed. I could only make it diminish with higher psi's in the krappy kendas, but it was always there. It felt soft through the turn. When I was in my driveway this morning, it was even harder to turn the front end compared to what I was accustomed with higher psi's. There is no question that this is very soft (to me) at 18psi. Like riding on water balloons.

History:

I got the Yoko's this summer at 18psi from Thornolis. He is a great guy, by the way. Tons of information. Totally trust his opinion on upgrades. It was like night and day! Loved the ride home from Houston, but hit the same corner, and same hop.

Started bumping up the psi by 2psi's and running them for a week. Became better with every bump up, and at 24psi in the fronts, I resolved the hop through the turn! It was amazing. Rails. Felt fast. Rolling resistance was better than I had ever experienced. Yes! Finally! After 20K miles of upgrades and tweaking, it felt fast and nimble. Not a big sloshy water balloon.

Decided to jump up a bit more to see. Was at 26psi up front and 32psi at the back. Just experimenting. Saw this thread on SpyderLovers, and made a comment about my findings. Holy cow! I didn't expect the flurry of ridiculousness from my L friend, and overuse of emojis and beating of horses.

So, I'm currently thinking I'll go to at least 24psi on the fronts. 28-30 on the rear.

2015 RT Limited , black

Spyder Garage

So Thornolis recommended 18psi originally for the Yokos, Tehrlich?

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red