Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast
    Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jaherbst View Post
    It's a motorcycle, use motorcycle tires.
    No it's not, technically. A motorcycle has two wheels and requires a rounded tire both fore and aft to corner properly. If you want some cheap entertainment watch the bar bikes (those with huge square tires in the rear) try to go around a corner sometime. And leave plenty of space between you in the event the rider is not good at rim-riding.

Because the Spyder doesn't lean while cornering it can use a flat car-type tire quite easily - especially on the rear. The stock Kenda rear tire is exactly that - flat (or square, if you prefer).

So long as the tire profile is the same as stock, the speed rating is sufficient for the use intended and the tire loading doesn't exceed its design specifications it should be fine to use a car-type tire on the rear of the Spyder.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Motorcycle

Quote Originally Posted by RinconRyder View Post
    No it's not, technically. A motorcycle has two wheels and requires a rounded tire both fore and aft to corner properly. If you want some cheap entertainment watch the bar bikes (those with huge square tires in the rear) try to go around a corner sometime. And leave plenty of space between you in the event the rider is not good at rim-riding.

Because the Spyder doesn't lean while cornering it can use a flat car-type tire quite easily - especially on the rear. The stock Kenda rear tire is exactly that - flat (or square, if you prefer).

So long as the tire profile is the same as stock, the speed rating is sufficient for the use intended and the tire loading doesn't exceed its design specifications it should be fine to use a car-type tire on the rear of the Spyder.
    Wrong - a motorcycle is anything your DMV says is a Motorcycle .....and you can't get any more Technical than that ..... just sayin ..... Mike

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    Wrong - a motorcycle is anything your DMV says is a Motorcycle .....and you can't get any more Technical than that ..... just sayin ..... Mike
    I will let common sense and the long history of vehicle nomenclature define what is, and what isn't, a motorcycle.

A motorcycle, to me, is a two-wheeled motor propelled vehicle. A vehicle with three wheels is a trike (or motor-driven tricycle if you prefer).

I have found most DMV's are anything BUT technical.

Spyder Garage

What ever happened to DIY? I haven't had to replace a tire yet on my 2014 RT SE6, but when I do I will get out my tools and do it just like I do on my motorcycles, my Ural, my Excursion, my transit and my Cat backhoe/loader. Did I miss the post by somebody actually doing it themselves? Putting Dunlop 606's on my WRR250 requires 3 arms. If you don't have 3 arms you improvise.
    intelligence is genetic. Stupidity is an acquired skill.

Spyder Garage

Default Rear Tire

Can anyone tell me if they think a Kuhmo Ecsta 225 50 R15 will fit a 2016 F3L?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Our dmv, VicRoads, calls it a Tri-Car - but we need full motorcycle license to ride it.

There is no logic...

Spyder Garage

Default ANYTHING BUT .....TECHNICAL

I will let common sense and the long history of vehicle nomenclature define what is, and what isn't, a motorcycle.

A motorcycle, to me, is a two-wheeled motor propelled vehicle. A vehicle with three wheels is a trike (or motor-driven tricycle if you prefer).

I have found most DMV's are anything BUT technical.
    .., Really, go down to your DMV and try to get your Spyder registered as a Tricycle, or Trike and see what happens ...................Mike

Spyder Garage

Default DMV ?????

Quote Originally Posted by loisk View Post
    Our dmv, VicRoads, calls it a Tri-Car - but we need full motorcycle license to ride it.

There is no logic...

Thank you for the correction ........ However I seriously doubt 99.9999 % of Spyderlovers on this Forum have the motor vehicle regulations of EVERY country in this world ...... memorized....... Mike

Spyder Garage

Default Kumho tire

Quote Originally Posted by The Wanderer View Post
    Can anyone tell me if they think a Kuhmo Ecsta 225 50 R15 will fit a 2016 F3L?
    Yes , but stats show the Altimax is superior tire for about the same money...... but no matter what you buy any car tire on any Spyder only needs 18-19 psi ( rear tire not front )for optimum performance and comfort ..... Mike
    Last edited by BLUEKNIGHT911; 08-03-2017 at 08:14 AM.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

.., Really, go down to your DMV and try to get your Spyder registered as a Tricycle, or Trike and see what happens ...................Mike
    Our DMV won't register your rocket propelled unicycle either.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Thank you for the correction ........ However I seriously doubt 99.9999 % of Spyderlovers on this Forum have the motor vehicle regulations of EVERY country in this world ...... memorized....... Mike
    Sorry mate it wasn't meant as a correction - just a curiosity - spyder rules differ all over the world and I guess I occasionally chip in to highlight variances. Licensing, registration, all lighting, indicator style, etc

Spyder Garage

Default Front tire matching question.

OK, I am getting ready to buy new tires. I have read tons of comments on replacing rear tires.

I think i'm going with Yokohama S-Drive 205/55 R15, but my question is what are folks using on the fronts, if they have this Yoko on the rear.

I have a 2012 RT SE5. I am not a real aggressive driver. Ride two up alot.

Spyder Garage

The reason "three wheels" is associated with motorcycles is because, back in the day, "three wheels" meant a motorcycle/sidecar rig.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Fat Baxter View Post
    The reason "three wheels" is associated with motorcycles is because, back in the day, "three wheels" meant a motorcycle/sidecar rig.
    I'm not so sure. I've been around bikes my whole life and have never heard anyone refer to a motorcycle with a sidecar a "trike". "Hack", "rig" and "sidehack" yes, but not trike.

When the modern trikes first came out virtually all states did not have any unique licensing for them and since they resembled two-wheelers they used the motorcycle endorsement - hence, became another version of "motorcycle". Some states have a special motorcycle license designated specifically for trikes.

But, as virtually everyone on this forum who has ever ridden a two-wheeler already knows, Spyders (and by extension other trikes) are NOT motorcycles in that they have very different handling characteristics. About the only common thing is the riding position in normal flight - you sit ON a motorcycle/trike and IN everything else.

Some states have a third definition for three-wheeled encapsulated vehicles calling them an "autocycle" but that isn't totally correct either since those vehicles are not at all related to a "cycle" but rather a different type of car. And in most states a motorcycle license is not required to operate them.

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

When the modern trikes first came out virtually all states did not have any unique licensing for them and since they resembled two-wheelers they used the motorcycle endorsement - hence, became another version of "motorcycle". Some states have a special motorcycle license designated specifically for trikes.
    Three wheel motorcycles predate state licensing requirements by many years. Since I don't know I'll ask. What did the American and German armies call their three wheel versions of motorcycles back in WW II? I'll bet it was 'motorcycle'.

Cushman three wheelers back in the '50s were called motor scooters, the same as the two wheel versions.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

I am getting ready to replace the rear and have read this thread. Lots of good suggestions here. However, I am dismayed about dealers refusing to install a better tire on the spyder. I have owned many dozens of vehicles including a CanAm Outlander, a CanAm Commander and several Goldwing motorcycles. The dealers have always presented many different tire options from different tire manufacturers. My local BRP dealer is also my local Goldwing dealer (among other brands). They have never told me that I must install any particular brand of tire on my Goldwing. Why would they do so on the spyder? Make no sense. As long as a replacement tire meets or exceeds the OEM specs, there should be no issue. Does anyone know exactly what is going on here......?
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi

Spyder Garage

What is going on here is a contract requirement between CanAm and Kenda requiring the exclusive sale at the dealerships.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jcthorne View Post
    What is going on here is a contract requirement between CanAm and Kenda requiring the exclusive sale at the dealerships.
    If that is the case, I believe it would be in violation of the Moss-Magnuson Act not to mention several free trade and anti-trust laws. But then, maybe Canadians can do things a little differently. If CanAm and Kenda want to be in bed together, I hope they make each other happy. I won't make it a three-some.
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi

Spyder Garage

Default Fronts and rear

With all this talk about what rear tire people have, shouldn't you just toss the OEMs and get General Altramax (or Yoko, or Bridgestone etc) all around?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by canamjhb View Post
    I am getting ready to replace the rear and have read this thread. Lots of good suggestions here. However, I am dismayed about dealers refusing to install a better tire on the spyder. I have owned many dozens of vehicles including a CanAm Outlander, a CanAm Commander and several Goldwing motorcycles. The dealers have always presented many different tire options from different tire manufacturers. My local BRP dealer is also my local Goldwing dealer (among other brands). They have never told me that I must install any particular brand of tire on my Goldwing. Why would they do so on the spyder? Make no sense. As long as a replacement tire meets or exceeds the OEM specs, there should be no issue. Does anyone know exactly what is going on here......?
    NHTSA requires that tires be labeled for the vehicle type the manufacturer has designed and tested the tire for. There are many brands of m/c tires designed and tested for two wheel m/c use. That's why your GW dealer doesn't force you buy a specific brand. Recognize that normal m/c tires have a bead design significantly different than car tires. Your GW dealer very likely will not mount a Michelin car tire on your GW, but he'll gladly mount a Michelin m/c tire on it. The Can Am tire is a hybrid, or in one sense, a bastard tire in that it has a bead design pretty much identical to a car tire. But no car tire manufacturer to date has tested and certified their tires to be used on any motorcycle. The Kenda is the only tire with a car tire bead that has been designed and specified to be used on a m/c, i.e., the Spyder and Slingshot. Tire dealers are required by NHTSA to install tires on vehicles that have been labeled for use on that type of vehicle. The only reason we are able to get car tires installed on our Spyder wheels is because tire dealers are willing to overlook the law.

As far as contractual restrictions between Kenda and BRP, that may be. But a greater controlling factor is market volume. Kenda so far is the only tire manufacturer willing to build a low volume tire for the Spyder, and there is no economic incentive for them to sell them to anyone else but BRP.
    Last edited by IdahoMtnSpyder; 08-07-2017 at 06:47 PM.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Indiana Ken View Post
    With all this talk about what rear tire people have, shouldn't you just toss the OEMs and get General Altramax (or Yoko, or Bridgestone etc) all around?
    Most, but not all, front tires by Kenda have been decent performers, not stellar, not great, but decent. Decent enough that there isn't near the push to use car tires on the front. The front Kendas on my 2013 RT did all right for 25,000 miles plus. The ones on my 2014 RT had a continual pull to the right and I changed them out at 13k miles for Continentals.

2014 Copper RTS

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BoilerAnimal View Post
    The only real hard part (actually very easy after giving it a little thought) was getting the belt back on the rear sprocket. It didn't work for me quite like the video by Finless Bob. I had to loosen the bolts that are used to align and tension the rear wheel. Since I had good alignment and belt tension before starting this I needed to loosen it in a way that allowed me to get it back the same as before. So, before loosening the alignment bolts I used a white paint marker to put a match mark on each bolt and the frame. Then I backed off each bolt four full turns, slipped my drive belt on, then tightened the bolts four full turns. I got the tire seated fully to the rear and torqued the axle bolts to 96 ft lbs. My belt tracks just as before and appears to be properly tensioned. And I love my new tire!

Ah, ah, ah, don't touch the Belt Alignment Bolts. Just Jack up the rear tire just enough to get the pressure off the Rear Shock. Remove one end of the Shock bolts. Now you can raise the rear of bike enough to take all of tension off of the belt and remove the Axle and Tire. Simple and no Belt Alignment problems.

Chris

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by No 2817 View Post
    Ah, ah, ah, don't touch the Belt Alignment Bolts. Just Jack up the rear tire just enough to get the pressure off the Rear Shock. Remove one end of the Shock bolts. Now you can raise the rear of bike enough to take all of tension off of the belt and remove the Axle and Tire. Simple and no Belt Alignment problems.

Chris
    ok, if this is true, i can do this at the shop , by myself, and spare all
    sorts of agony? it cant be that simple. there was a video somewhere of this.
    anyone have it ?
    2015 rts-white pearl- mods- '16 F3 fat 6 chrome wheels,
    and some little stuff. setback utopia backrest, baja ron
    sway bar, oem adj. air deflectors, marlin gps compass,
    lamonster fbb foot pegs[modified brackets], lamonts
    vibration damper, rock guard, and side case stiffener kit,
    . brp comfort seat. , fomozas and
    altimax, magic mirror mts, and wide mirrors.
    [joyce & irvin toms]

Very Active Member BoilerAnimal's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by No 2817 View Post

Chris

You can touch the rear wheel alignment bolts with no problems IF you match mark them FIRST and you TURN EACH BOLT THE SAME NUMBER OF TURNS. If you get confused and turn one bolt more than the other, you will have to readjust your rear wheel to get your belt tracking correctly.
    On the road again...........and forever young!

2013 RT-S SE 5

Yesterday is a cancelled check.
    Tomorrow is a promissory note.
    Today is cash.......spend it wisely.

Very Active Member BoilerAnimal's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by irvin48 View Post
    ok, if this is true, i can do this at the shop , by myself, and spare all
    sorts of agony? it cant be that simple. there was a video somewhere of this.
    anyone have it ?

Here you go. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=MWtbQPdKd8w
    On the road again...........and forever young!

2013 RT-S SE 5

Yesterday is a cancelled check.
    Tomorrow is a promissory note.
    Today is cash.......spend it wisely.