Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
    Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default TIRE BRP STATEMENT

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderConvert View Post
    Picked up my Spyder from its first service yesterday and the service manager at the dealership said that he was at Homecoming; he said that he was told by BRP that several dealers had lost their franchise (?) because they were installing non-Kenda tires. He said that it was a liability issue. So, my question for those that have had their tires replaced with non-Kendas, did you remove the rear wheel and take it to a tire dealer to have it mounted and balanced?
    How does / did BRP get this info about the non-Kenda tire ?????? .... Did those Dealers call or fax BRP and tell them about this ????? ..... I think it's BOGUS info ............. Mike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    How does / did BRP get this info about the non-Kenda tire ?????? .... Did those Dealers call or fax BRP and tell them about this ????? ..... I think it's BOGUS info ............. Mike
    All I can report is that 3 dealers(within 1 hour's ride) around Indianapolis, IN REFUSE to mount Non-Motorcycle tires. A fellow Spyder rider(60 miles south of me) reports the same attitude from dealers in his area(Southern IN/Northern KY). The reality for us is that this is not BOGUS.
    2021 Marsala Red Metallic RT Limited

Very Active Member BoilerAnimal's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I asked at a dealership in Illinois if they would mount a tire other than an OEM Kenda. The answer was a resounding NO! I said fine, I'll take it off and have it changed at a tire dealership myself. Also said that there was no way that I would ever put another Kenda tire on my Spyder. His reply? "Smart man".
    On the road again...........and forever young!

2013 RT-S SE 5

Yesterday is a cancelled check.
    Tomorrow is a promissory note.
    Today is cash.......spend it wisely.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BoilerAnimal View Post
    I asked at a dealership in Illinois if they would mount a tire other than an OEM Kenda. The answer was a resounding NO! I said fine, I'll take it off and have it changed at a tire dealership myself. Also said that there was no way that I would ever put another Kenda tire on my Spyder. His reply? "Smart man".
    Not being born with a silver wrench in my mouth, there's no way I'd tackle taking the rear tire off and get it all put back together. I've watched the video. Way beyond my basic skill level.
    2021 Marsala Red Metallic RT Limited

Very Active Member BoilerAnimal's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MikeT View Post
    Not being born with a silver wrench in my mouth, there's no way I'd tackle taking the rear tire off and get it all put back together. I've watched the video. Way beyond my basic skill level.
    The only real hard part (actually very easy after giving it a little thought) was getting the belt back on the rear sprocket. It didn't work for me quite like the video by Finless Bob. I had to loosen the bolts that are used to align and tension the rear wheel. Since I had good alignment and belt tension before starting this I needed to loosen it in a way that allowed me to get it back the same as before. So, before loosening the alignment bolts I used a white paint marker to put a match mark on each bolt and the frame. Then I backed off each bolt four full turns, slipped my drive belt on, then tightened the bolts four full turns. I got the tire seated fully to the rear and torqued the axle bolts to 96 ft lbs. My belt tracks just as before and appears to be properly tensioned. And I love my new tire!
    On the road again...........and forever young!

2013 RT-S SE 5

Yesterday is a cancelled check.
    Tomorrow is a promissory note.
    Today is cash.......spend it wisely.

Spyder Garage

Default BOGUS

Quote Originally Posted by MikeT View Post
    All I can report is that 3 dealers(within 1 hour's ride) around Indianapolis, IN REFUSE to mount Non-Motorcycle tires. A fellow Spyder rider(60 miles south of me) reports the same attitude from dealers in his area(Southern IN/Northern KY). The reality for us is that this is not BOGUS.
    ...Your making TWO different statements ..... Your first one is " BOGUS " ....... the second one ( above ) I can believe to be true because their are dealers who won't do it ................. Mike

Spyder Garage

Default Is the Speed still correct?

Im replacing the old worn out Kenda Rear tire on my 2010 RTS.
    I think I'm going to go with the Yokohama S Drive.
    I know it won't wear as well as some of the others but I'm in the mountains and when I'm riding without the wife I still like to pitch it around in the twisties so I want the grip.

For those who have made this choice, Is the speedo still correct after installing the 205/55/15 Yoko?

Spyder Garage

Default VERY STICKY TIRES

Quote Originally Posted by k-town View Post
    Im replacing the old worn out Kenda Rear tire on my 2010 RTS.
    I think I'm going to go with the Yokohama S Drive.
    I know it won't wear as well as some of the others but I'm in the mountains and when I'm riding without the wife I still like to pitch it around in the twisties so I want the grip.

For those who have made this choice, Is the speedo still correct after installing the 205/55/15 Yoko?
    The Nanny prevents any benefit of STICKY tires .... I went to the trouble of putting on Sticky tires and ............. the " NANNY " didn't like them and told me so in the twisties quite often ..... Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Highwayman2013 View Post
    A few weeks ago I traded my 2012 RT that had the 215/60/15 Michelin Primacy (discontinued) on it. 23,000 miles when I traded and it still had 5/32 of tread left. Ran it at 28 psi.
    When the Kenda wears out on the new F3L I'll probably go with the General.
    Has anyone tried the Michelin Defender 195/65/15?

Spyder Garage

Default Yoko S Drive

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderConvert View Post
    Picked up my Spyder from its first service yesterday and the service manager at the dealership said that he was at Homecoming; he said that he was told by BRP that several dealers had lost their franchise (?) because they were installing non-Kenda tires. He said that it was a liability issue. So, my question for those that have had their tires replaced with non-Kendas, did you remove the rear wheel and take it to a tire dealer to have it mounted and balanced?
    No bought tire from Discount Tire, took bike and tire to Ride Now Surprise Arizona they put it on for $99 plus sales tax

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by marty1096 View Post
    No bought tire from Discount Tire, took bike and tire to Ride Now Surprise Arizona they put it on for $99 plus sales tax
    !
    Well there goes that dealership! You should not have told.

Too many Tires---Too many uninformed opinions. Why is everyone always fighting this fight?

Don't get me started on Oil.

It's a motorcycle, use motorcycle tires.

​Jack
    All my life I wanted to be somebody, now I realize I should have been more specific.
    2019 Specialized E-Bike COMO 2.0
    2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
    2018 Tiffin Phaeton 37BH Motorhome
    2015 BMW R1200R LC
    2014 RTL SE6 Pearl White
    2012 RT-622 trailer viper red
    2014 Look 7x12 motorcycle trailer silver and black
    2011 Polaris Ranger green
    2013 GMC Yukon Denali XL silver oak
    2016 Can Am Maverick

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Jack,
    I use peanut oil: it makes my fries taste better...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by finless View Post
    If you have the money? Really? After shelling out for a Spyder you ask if people "have the money"?

Yokohama S drive. Had mine since the beginning of having one. I will replace it with the same Yoko.
    Handling is bar none! Ride is great... Wear......... Well it is better than the stock tire for sure. I now have 10K on mine it's for sure going to go another 5K.

Again I will not think twice on putting the Yoko back on when the time comes.

Like any tire... "Your mileage may vary"....

Bob
    Isnt the S drive a summer only tire ? Not good below 40 deg.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jaherbst View Post
    ....It's a motorcycle, use motorcycle tires.

​Jack
    But Jack, not even BRP does that!!

So why should we all continue to use the poorly quality controlled sub-standard over-priced under-performing black round crap that they've dreamt up a quasi-label for & foisted upon Spyder owners who've now done literally millions of miles of (free to BRP) testing that pretty much PROVES that normal car tires work much better on our Spyders?!?

But you are right about mentioning the Dealership that fitted 'non-approved by BRP' tires! That's a surefire way to get their dealership yanked, or at least some negative interest from BRP! I thought that was why we had PM's on these Forums?!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 08-01-2017 at 06:41 PM.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Aawen View Post
    But Jack, not even BRP does that!!

So why should we all continue to use the poorly quality controlled sub-standard over-priced under-performing black round crap that they've dreamt up a quasi-label for & foisted upon Spyder owners who've now done literally millions of miles of (free to BRP) testing that pretty much PROVES that normal car tires work much better on our Spyders?!?

But you are right about mentioning the Dealership that fitted 'non-approved by BRP' tires! That's a surefire way to get their dealership yanked, or at least some negative interest from BRP! I thought that was why we had PM's on these Forums?!
    I have Never had a problem with the Stock tires except that the rear is too expensive?

2015 F3 sm6, Custom Dynamics fender lights.

Sea Doo GTI-SE 90 Jet Ski!!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge707 View Post
    I have Never had a problem with the Stock tires except that the rear is too expensive?
    That doesn't mean that the Kendas spec'd & supplied by BRP for our Spyders aren't on the far low end of the 'quality tire' scale Sarge, it just means that you are satisfied with the tire for the ryding you currently do, & that's fine by me, there are times when I too really don't want (or need) anything much more from a tire too! But in my case, that's usually when my Spyder is parked in the shed not running; at most other times, I & many others out there want something better in the way of tire performance, wear, handling, ride, cost, & all those other factors where the Kendas fall short....

Clearly, from all these threads & posts about tires & alternatives, it's not just me - it seems there are MANY Spyder Ryders out there (including me at times) who ryde a little differently than you do (possibly more, differently, &/or arguably harder?) & as a result want the tires on their Spyders to handle & perform somewhat better than 'just good enough' for whatever it may be that they are doing at the time... or maybe they are just more demanding or tight fisted & want better or cheaper?.... Whatever, they obviously have different needs & wants from the tires on their Spyders than you! And many of those Spyder Ryders, if not most of them, have discovered that just about any reasonable quality car tire in a similar size with better load & speed ratings does pretty much everything waaayyy better than the BRP Spec Kendas!!

Hey, I even know of one Spyder Ryder here in Aus who's modded his Spyder to run different sized rims & now runs different spec & sized KENDA tires that for his ryding behave in all respects waaaayyyyy better than the low end BRP Spec'd Kendas, so it's not that Kenda CAN'T make tires that are better quality & will work better across the board on our Spyders, it's more that BRP can't or won't accept that some (more likely many, if not even most!) Spyder Ryders actually want better tires than the low spec Kendas BRP is pushing; and the millions of miles of testing provided to them for free by the many Spyder Ryders out there riding in/across a vast range of conditions who HAVE changed to alternative tires almost invariably shows that pretty much any car tire WILL & DOES work even better than the low spec Kendas that they are trying to force everyone to use!

So if you are happy with how they work for you, I'm glad for you - but for me & many (many!) other Spyder Ryders & for a vast array of reasons, needs, or wants, the BRP spec Kendas are barely good enough to serve as black round things to keep the metal of our relatively expensive Spyders off the ground while our Spyders are parked in the shed!
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I've been riding various spyders since 2010 or 11 - and have been critical of BRP on more than one occasion

However

A franchised car dealer for brand X will only install head office approved bits - we can jump up and down all we like but, to protect their dealership standing, they won't fit non-approved stuff.

If this is the rule from head office, we can't blame the dealer for only fitting brp approved tyres. We would lose out too if the dealership disappeared.

The issue of whether other tyres are better is, to the dealer, irrelevant - their livelihood is at stake.

My view - choose for yourself. If you don't want to remove the rear wheel yourself due to belt drive complications, fine. It would be nice to be able to choose a better tyre fitted through our dealer, but as long as BRP head office have their exclusive deal with Kenda, we and the dealer are somewhat stuck. I cannot remove the rear wheel or, more problematically, get it all back together. I run Kenda, and happily and easily keep up with everyone on twisty runs. Maybe I have to work a bit harder to get the best, smoothest line thru the bends (and hence the fastest), but I don't know this, so am not worried at all. Oh and I definitely do not feel less of a rider cos I use kenda... It's worked on three spyders for over 60,000 kms...

PS if brp change their agreement with kenda to 'initial supply only' and allow dealers to fit better tyres for us, I'd change in an instant. Worth a try...
    Last edited by loisk; 08-01-2017 at 11:02 PM.

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

There MAY be a change in the wind. At homecoming I got the distinct impression that BRP managers are well aware of the discontent owners have with the OEM Kenda tires and that there is a change of some sort coming down the pike. What kind of change? I have absolutely no idea.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by HayRog View Post
    I like these positive reports on the Kumho's as my dealer won't entertain a car tire as a replacement.
    Find a new dealer.

Spyder Garage

Default NOT THAT HARD!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by ricford View Post
    Find a new dealer.
    It really is not that hard to remove the wheel, break down the tire, remove it and install a new tire yourself with HAND tools. I did it in about 2 hours in my one car garage and i am 74 yrs old. GEEZE quit blaming the dealer!!!!!!!!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by k-town View Post

Yes, its exactly the same diameter as the OEM Kenda. Speedo and stability control calibration is unchanged.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    The Nanny prevents any benefit of STICKY tires .... I went to the trouble of putting on Sticky tires and ............. the " NANNY " didn't like them and told me so in the twisties quite often ..... Mike
    I have not found this to be true. Both straight line and cornering potential are improved due to the better traction. Then again, my experience is on my F3 which may be different than the calibration on what you are driving.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jaherbst View Post

!
    Well there goes that dealership! You should not have told.

Too many Tires---Too many uninformed opinions. Why is everyone always fighting this fight?

Don't get me started on Oil.

It's a motorcycle, use motorcycle tires.

​Jack
    There are no motorcycle profile tires available to fit the Spyder.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Spyderdale View Post
    Isnt the S drive a summer only tire ? Not good below 40 deg.
    We have found the S-drive to have better traction than the Kenda at all temps down to about 16 deg. Thats as cold as I have ridden any significant distance on the Spyder. Yes, there is less traction at those temps but I would never attempt a drag race launch at below freezng temps. They do not turn into rocks however nor do they have the cracking issues that I have seen in some of the high performace summer only Michelins used on the vetts. No real concern for low temps with the S drive on the Spyder.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by marty1096 View Post
    They charged sales tax on a labor-only sale? Unless the law was recently changed that is not correct.