Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default S Drive here as well. Installed it at

about 8,000 miles as stock tire wore out.

We ride 2 up 95% of the time.

We now have 18,000 miles on our Spyder and I would say the tire has another 3-5K left before I will need to replace. The S Drive has been an all around great tire in all conditions and I am very happy. I am really impressed with its wet traction.

Our rear tire has always been inflated to 29 psi.

I am more than happy to replace this tire after 13-15K rather than the 8K we got out of the stock tire.
    Lets ride!!!!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Kraut View Post
    General Altimax RT 43, 215/60 R 15 for me too. Price and performance rating fit my riding needs. 9,000 miles and still looking good at 26 psi.

Here is a picture of my General Altimax RT 43:New Rear General ALtimax RT 43 Tire 001.jpg
    The performance rating that someone on this site, recommend the General Altimax RT 43 tire. Deanna
    Last edited by Deanna777; 08-01-2017 at 05:47 PM. Reason: Changed post on 3/19/2017 @ 8:00pm

Current Spyder - 2023 F3 LTD Special Mineral Blue

Red LED NANO Saddlebag Marker Lights with Full Illumination
    Sequential Fender LED'S (Amber/Red) with Safety Reflector
    Dual Power Plate (12 V & USB ports)
    Gremlin Bell
    Rear Trunk Organizer (4 holders, 2 Elastic Holders)
    Lamonster "Top Cuff" with adjustable drink Holder
    SpyderPops Missing Guard Belt
    Console Accent Trim (Carbon Fiber Domed Black)
    Ultimate F3 Floorboards
    Front Fairing Service Access Door Covers (Carbon Fiber Doomed Black)
    Sway Bar with Links
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Half Cover

Former Spyder - 2014 RTS SE6 Cognac SOLD
    2023 F3 LTD Special Series , N/A N/A Mineral Blue

Spyder Garage

Here is my Yokohama after 9,000 miles....

I am now at 26K and the tire basically looks the same.

2011 RT-S SM5 - Black
    Bought June 2013 with 450 miles. 27K on 8-1-2017.
    Farkles - DIY Trunk Break Light, HMT Break Light, DIY Mirror Turn Signal Lights, DIY Bluetooth Dongle, DIY iPod Setup, DIY Alarm System Install, Show Chrome front fender / rear saddle bag lights, 4th break light around the trunk, Vented Windshield, Baja Ron Sway Bar, DIY GPS setup, Smooth Spyder, BRP Chrome Mirrors, Adjustable deflectors, Triaxis handlebars, NVB Pegs, Bad Boy Airhorn... More to come
    2011 RT-S SM5 , Baja Ron Black

Spyder Garage

fitted nankangs all round only because all the numbers compatible
    only a few k's up but so far so good
    and really inexpensive
    Last edited by merlot; 03-03-2017 at 04:53 AM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by finless View Post
    Here is my Yokohama after 9,000 miles....
    I am now at 26K and the tire basically looks the same.
    Hi Bob,
    Is that in the 205/60-15 size?
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Hi Bob,
    Is that in the 205/60-15 size?
    No 205-55-R15
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black
    Bought June 2013 with 450 miles. 27K on 8-1-2017.
    Farkles - DIY Trunk Break Light, HMT Break Light, DIY Mirror Turn Signal Lights, DIY Bluetooth Dongle, DIY iPod Setup, DIY Alarm System Install, Show Chrome front fender / rear saddle bag lights, 4th break light around the trunk, Vented Windshield, Baja Ron Sway Bar, DIY GPS setup, Smooth Spyder, BRP Chrome Mirrors, Adjustable deflectors, Triaxis handlebars, NVB Pegs, Bad Boy Airhorn... More to come
    2011 RT-S SM5 , Baja Ron Black

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I just went through a tire change fiasco today, had the rear wheel off the RT (and btw just lift it up high no need to remove the rear luggage) got the Kumho Ecsta AST shipped, ran all over and found 1 shop that would put it on and zero are able to balance it, during all this I discovered why Can-Am dealers wont help in anyway with a car tire on the Spyder. The original tire has and extended tire Bead like an ATV, I'm guessing for safety reasons, blow out maybe and the tire wont come off the rim? Anyways most places wont touch it or don't have the equipment, dealers wont let you in the door with a car tire, half my trouble is over, now onto the search for someone that can balance it, beads, glass etc. in my research is a big NO, this is due to the tires low profile and width (some I know have no issues with these methods) and don't want to risk having to take the tire back off if these methods don't work. Just my experience so far.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Where in New York are you?
    Netzley Tire, in Accord,NY can set you up!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by rarerockmusic View Post
    I just went through a tire change fiasco today, had the rear wheel off the RT (and btw just lift it up high no need to remove the rear luggage) got the Kumho Ecsta AST shipped, ran all over and found 1 shop that would put it on and zero are able to balance it, during all this I discovered why Can-Am dealers wont help in anyway with a car tire on the Spyder. The original tire has and extended tire Bead like an ATV, I'm guessing for safety reasons, blow out maybe and the tire wont come off the rim? Anyways most places wont touch it or don't have the equipment, dealers wont let you in the door with a car tire, half my trouble is over, now onto the search for someone that can balance it, beads, glass etc. in my research is a big NO, this is due to the tires low profile and width (some I know have no issues with these methods) and don't want to risk having to take the tire back off if these methods don't work. Just my experience so far.
    Rarerock,
    I replaced my Kenda with a Kuhmo. Any of the 3 car tyre guys in town were willing to do it as they had done them in the past with no problems except balancing. It IS a car tyre bead and they had zero issues getting the tyre off and mounting the Kuhmo as you are just replacing a cheap car tyre with a real car tyre.

After a lot of research and discussions on here, I did not bother getting the rear tyre balanced as modern, good quality car tyres don't need it (unlike the Kenda). You simply remove any balance weights on the wheel, install the new car tyre, and go (but make sure they install the tyre dot in line with the valve stem). After I installed the new wheel with new tyre on the Spyder, I got my local Can Am dealer to check the wheel and belt alignment just in case. They did, and all was within tolerance. I have since done around 2000 miles with no issues. If you do have any balance vibrations you can use beads etc after the fact.

Can Am dealers won't help in any way with a car tyre other than Kenda as that is their direction from Head Office as part of their deal with Kenda. It has NOTHING to do with the dealer being unable to work with the rim. Mind you, I have heard of a couple of Can Am dealers who WILL replace the Kenda with a real car tyre......rebels !

Hope this helps....
    Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

RareRock, what model of Spyder do you have, just curious as my 2013 RTL is due for a new rear tire and the five closest dealers to me will only put on the Kenda's.
    Safe Rides,
    David and Sharon Goebel
    Both Retired USAF Veterans
    2018 Anniversary Edition RT Limited
    Baja Ron ultimate swaybar. Vredestein tires, Baja Ron Front Shock Pre-load adjusters, Pedal Box, See my Spyder Garage
    IBA 70020

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by DGoebel View Post
    RareRock, what model of Spyder do you have, just curious as my 2013 RTL is due for a new rear tire and the five closest dealers to me will only put on the Kenda's.
    I had a guy just outside of New Ulm put a new general rear tire on my Spyder.

SpyderLovers Sponsor
    Spyder Garage

For those of you whose dealers won't install car tires you need to look for a motorcycle tire shop, they should be able to mount one with no issues at all. And for those who can't get them balanced you can use Ride On - buy the car formula.

2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

If you're willing and capable of removing the tires, rear or front, from your Spyder do that. Take them to a small time tire shop operator. They'll put a car tire on for you, especially if you bring the tires with you. That way there is no record of them selling you a car tire for motorcycle use. You'll have less hassle with them than large tire shops or Can Am dealers. Most any tire shop can spin balance the front tires, no problem. The rear is a problem only because of the large bore in the rim. Most shops don't have an adapter large enough to fit it. Have them install the same liquid balancing solution they use in large pickup and truck tires, or you can use Ride-On. I was skeptical of the liquid balance but it was either that or no balance. My rear tire seems to be perfectly balanced so I guess I'm a reluctant believer now.

NHTSA regulations require that tires made for non-automotive or non-truck use must be manufactured and labeled for such use. Strictly speaking when a tire dealer mounts a car tire on your motorcycle rim he is violating Federal regulation. That's why the bureaucratically bound companies won't do it. Tire manufacturers must list what rim designs their tires are made to fit. No automotive tire manufacturer has, and maybe never will, list the Can Am rim as an approved rim. I gave an explanation of the issue here: http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...=1#post1160433

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default BALANCING A SPYDER REAR TIRE

Do what you want ----- however I didn't balance my LAST THREE rear tires ( car type ) that I put on my RT, or RSS and haven't had ANY issues in tens of thousands of miles on any of them........ ride safe .......... Mike

Very Active Member cognaccruiser's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

My CanAm dealer is quite large for up here in western Canada and sell all kinds of CanAm equipment. They WILL do tires other than Kenda on Spyders. It is definitely a dealer decision from what I can see.

Gary
    States visited by Bike

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by DGoebel View Post

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

New tire is on, I had no issue using a car tire. Most shops couldn't do it unless they had the clamp type equipment. Balancing is my issue now, the Kumho has no "dot" like a normal MC tire. Id really hate to put it on not balanced, old weights have been removed though. My closet dealer is in Clifton park/Albany and they refuse to touch it even for a balance. And the few MC shops closet to me cant do it due to size/width of the wheel or axle diameter. My search continues.........

Spyder Garage

New tire is on, I had no issue using a car tire. Most shops couldn't do it unless they had the clamp type equipment. Balancing is my issue now, the Kumho has no "dot" like a normal MC tire. Id really hate to put it on not balanced, old weights have been removed though. My closet dealer is in Clifton park/Albany and they refuse to touch it even for a balance. And the few MC shops closet to me cant do it due to size/width of the wheel or axle diameter. My search continues.........
    Rarerock, I have Kuhmos front and rear and every one of them has a dot on the side. Dots are not limited to motorcycle tyres. If you are worried about it not being balanced just put beads in it.

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

Default WELLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL

Maybe read post # 39 ............. and stop worrying about it ....... Mike

Spyder Garage

call me old school but you can balance your rear tire in the frame on a jack. leave the axel loose so the tire spins free, static balance is the preferred way, the heavy side will stop on the bottom. tape 1/2 oz at the top, rotate again. repeat until the tire stops randomly. when done replace your taped on weight with new stick-ons. you can get them from any auto parts store. If you have questions talk to a local bike shop about static balancing.

Gary

ps it's worked for me for over 40 years
    Last edited by Gary; 03-18-2017 at 03:24 PM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    Maybe read post # 39 ............. and stop worrying about it ....... Mike
    I think he's worried because the Kuhmo he is buying has no balance dots on it, Mike. The Kuhmos out here all have balance dots, so that's a bit strange unless Kuhmo make a US and an "others" version of each tyre size. Do your tyres have balance dots? Are they important enough to worry about in your opinion?

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited

HeliBars Handlebars
    Kenda Kanine rear.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Gary View Post
    call me old school but you can balance your rear tire in the frame on a jack. leave the axel loose so the tire spins free, static balance is the preferred way, the heavy side will stop on the bottom. tape 1/2 oz at the top, rotate again. repeat until the tire stops randomly. when done replace your taped on weight with new stick-ons. you can get them from any auto parts store. If you have questions talk to a local bike shop about static balancing.

Gary
    ahhhhhh. Thanks Gary, I wondered exactly how that was done. Actually, I had the local bike shop teed up to do a static balance for me and their machine broke and was going to take a week to get a replacement part, so I just went with the recommendation from Dr Blueknight and Professor Peter A, which has worked a treat 😜😆😆

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited

HeliBars Handlebars
    Kenda Kanine rear.

Spyder Garage

Grab one of these, I have one and it worked great for me. It will pay for itself in the long run. If you're in the Sacandaga Lake area come on over and use mine. Harbor also has the stick on weights.

http://www.harborfreight.com/motorcy...and-98488.html

http://www.harborfreight.com/catalog...q=wheel+weight
    Last edited by Bensonoid; 03-18-2017 at 06:08 PM.
    2015 RTS Special Series
    Russell Day Long seat
    F4 Customs windshield
    Sena 20s

Spyder Garage

Yoko Ono

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Spyder Garage

Default MARKER - DOTS

Quote Originally Posted by Peteoz View Post
    I think he's worried because the Kuhmo he is buying has no balance dots on it, Mike. The Kuhmos out here all have balance dots, so that's a bit strange unless Kuhmo make a US and an "others" version of each tyre size. Do your tyres have balance dots? Are they important enough to worry about in your opinion?

Pete
    Pete, I have Michelin Hydro Edge and there are NO dots ...... and I didn't balance it ..... it's wearing great ... and I can't tell any difference from the one I did balance ....... IMHO, I think the rear tires ( if they are car tires - better quality ) don't have to be balanced because the AXEL is supported on BOTH SIDES by the swing arm ..... and this prevents the infinitesimal amount of harmonics that can occur and would be noticed THROUGH the FRONT WHEELS ....... This my theory ....... Mike
    Last edited by BLUEKNIGHT911; 03-18-2017 at 11:33 PM.