Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Those that have replace your rear tire on your RT?

OK, we all know there are more than a few New Rear Tire Questions that can be found on here, but some of them kind of go off subject and get in a pissing contest. I am getting ready to replace mine after 14k miles on the stock tire and finally found a dealer who is willing to replace the old tire with what tire I pick.

My question is this for those of you who have replaced your tire with a non Kendra tire. What tire did you choose and how many miles have you put on your new tire? Oh, and what PSI are you running?? I've narrowed my selection down to the following and leaning towards the Yokohama or Michelin. Not interested in going back to a Kendra tire.

Yokohama S-Drive 205/55 R15

Michelin Premier A/S 205/60 R-15

Dunlop Direzza DZ102 205/50 R15

General Altimax RT 43 215/60-15
    Last edited by DJFaninTN; 02-23-2017 at 12:44 AM.
    2015 RT Limited Intense Red Pearl

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

A few weeks ago I traded my 2012 RT that had the 215/60/15 Michelin Primacy (discontinued) on it. 23,000 miles when I traded and it still had 5/32 of tread left. Ran it at 28 psi.
    When the Kenda wears out on the new F3L I'll probably go with the General.
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Spyder Garage

Of the brands that you listed I have tried two.

Of the two my preference is the Michelin Premier A/S. I replaced the General (17,000 miles) with this tire and the Michelin is the best wet road tire I have had on my Spyder. The only time I had it loose traction in the rain was when I hit standing water (about 2") doing 60 on the freeway. In a case like that I'am not aware of any tire that would not have hydroplaned.

It is also fantastic on dry roads as well. I will need to check current mileage, but it has over 14,000 and looks like another 14,000 to go. I run it at 25 psi as 90% of the time we are 2 up.

For the price and handling I will be sticking with the Michelin Premier A/S.
    2021 Sea To Sky, 2020 RTL

Isn't it weird that in AMERICA our flag and our culture offend so many people......
    but our benefits don't?
    2015 F3S , White & Blue

Spyder Garage

If you have the money? Really? After shelling out for a Spyder you ask if people "have the money"?

Yokohama S drive. Had mine since the beginning of having one. I will replace it with the same Yoko.
    Handling is bar none! Ride is great... Wear......... Well it is better than the stock tire for sure. I now have 10K on mine it's for sure going to go another 5K.

Again I will not think twice on putting the Yoko back on when the time comes.

Like any tire... "Your mileage may vary"....

Bob
    Last edited by finless; 02-23-2017 at 10:48 AM.
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black
    Bought June 2013 with 450 miles. 27K on 8-1-2017.
    Farkles - DIY Trunk Break Light, HMT Break Light, DIY Mirror Turn Signal Lights, DIY Bluetooth Dongle, DIY iPod Setup, DIY Alarm System Install, Show Chrome front fender / rear saddle bag lights, 4th break light around the trunk, Vented Windshield, Baja Ron Sway Bar, DIY GPS setup, Smooth Spyder, BRP Chrome Mirrors, Adjustable deflectors, Triaxis handlebars, NVB Pegs, Bad Boy Airhorn... More to come
    2011 RT-S SM5 , Baja Ron Black

Spyder Garage

I have 10k an my Yoko, and like Bob, its no where near ready for replacement. I have only had one customer replace a Yoko that was worn out. 19,000 and it really was bald. He went with another Yoko....

If you turn corners, rule out any that do not have an S speed rating. The basic passenger car tires are designed for comfort on a buick or camery, not handling and you can really feel the difference on the spyder. The speed rated ones are sports car tires with different design goals. The Michelin and General will likely outlast the Yoko, but at a trade off.

All of your choices are FAR better than the OEM Kenda.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

Default YOKO

Love my Yoko. 8,000 mi and about 1/2 worn out, 21 lb. of pressure. Will replace with the same tire.
    2015 RTS Special Series
    Russell Day Long seat
    F4 Customs windshield
    Sena 20s

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

(Different tire here...)
    Kumho Ecsta AST in the OEM size (225/50-15)
    12,000 miles on this one, and it's STILL got lots of room left on it!

24 psi, but I'll try dropping it a bit more this season...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Default Well...

Quote Originally Posted by DJFaninTN View Post
    OK, we all know there are more than a few New Rear Tire Questions that can be found on here, but some of them kind of go off subject and get in a pissing contest. I am getting ready to replace mine after 14k miles on the stock tire and finally found a dealer who is willing to replace the old tire with what tire I pick.

My question is this for those of you who have replaced your tire with a non Kendra tire. What tire did you choose and how many miles have you put on your new tire? Oh, and what PSI are you running?? I've narrowed my selection down to the following and leaning towards the Yokohama or Michelin. Not interested in going back to a Kendra tire.

I wouldn't use the Dunlop ! It is too small, and Dunlops have a tendency to be on the hard side.... 20 -22 psi should be enough.

Have you looked in the Kumho Ecsta AST in 225/50R15... we have 3 of them and a Toyo proxies 4 and are happy with them.... just so that you know.... ;-)

Richard

* 2012 RS SE5 (hers)
    * 2013 ST SM5 (mine)

Daughter RSS SE5 2014
    Son in law RSS SM5 2013

P.S. 3 Kumho AST 225/50R15 and 1 Toyo Proxies 4 225/50R15 rear tires
    2 sets of Kumho 175/55R15 front tires
    1 set of Hankook V4
    1 set of Canadian Tire General tire Evertrek RTX in 14" for the 2012 ...

Spyder Garage

Default Wow - good to get 14,000 miles out of the OEM Kenda

Replaced the wifes SE6 RT-S Kenda with a Kumho Ecsta AST at 12,000 miles, and then again with the Kumho at 38,000 miles. We run 25-26 psi cold which heats up to 30ish during the ride.
    My OEM Kenda was changed out for the Kumho at 13,500 miles and looks like we're on good rubber for this riding season. Like JT says, it depends on how you ride and what you want from the tire. Everything is a compromise between longer life (harder compound and construction) and sticky grip (softer compound), and what you want to pay for a tire.
    In Florida, I assume that you will have warmer temps and as long as you have some good rain grooves, you should be good with any of your list. Good Ryding
    2015 RT , OEM Black Gloss

Spyder Garage

Well, I rode from Jacksonville Florida to Kissimmee and and had them install a Kumho Ecsta AST in the OEM size (225/50-15). I had 11,000 on the stock tire and may have gotten another 1,000 but decided I wanted something better. I've put about 1,500 on the Kumho and have no regrets, it is a much more stable ride, and has good traction. The price was good, and the service at Central Florida Power Sports was even better. Before giving it back to me, they washed it and filled the gas tank.

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you were?

Spyder Garage

Default Yokohama S Drive 205-55-15 High performance tire is Excellent for traction

I started using Yokohama S Drive 205-55-15 in fall of 2014 on my 2014 RT Spyder;
    now on 2015 F3S Touring Mod Spyder (1st Yokohama tire 15,000 miles; now on 2nd S Drive tire, in 27,000 miles).
    Rear tire has excellent traction, sticks like on rails in wet or dry corners, (smoother ride than a Kumho Ecsta), good wear for a high performance tire, (I am very happy with Yokohama S Drive performance &, like Finless I will continue using S Drive tire on my Spyders). (rear tire 22#, front tires 20#).
    Front Federal Formoza 165-55-15 tires also have excellent traction on wet or dry roads, smooth ride, a big improvement from stock Kenda. A great match/balance front/rear traction with rear Yokohama S Drive.
    Sharing my very good tire experience in many thousands of miles on Spyders!
    Enjoy your rydes.
    Jim
    IMG_4083 Yokohama 205-55-15 rear tire 30 % Sept 2016.jpgIMG_4090 Federal 165-55-15 Formoza AZO1 front tires F3S Sept 2016.jpg
    Last edited by spyderyderjim; 03-02-2017 at 01:26 AM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    (Different tire here...)
    Kumho Ecsta AST in the OEM size (225/50-15)
    12,000 miles on this one, and it's STILL got lots of room left on it!

24 psi, but I'll try dropping it a bit more this season...
    I like these positive reports on the Kumho's as my dealer won't entertain a car tire as a replacement.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Devious56 View Post
    I've put about 1,500 on the Kumho and have no regrets, it is a much more stable ride, and has good traction. .

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by HayRog View Post
    I like these positive reports on the Kumho's as my dealer won't entertain a car tire as a replacement.

Roger, have the tire shipped to me and I'll mount it when you are here for the Reuben Run.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default General Altimax rear Tire

I chose the general altimax tire for the rear. I have approximately 7K on the tire and you wouldn't be able to tell it was used
    at all. I have had no issued what-so-ever with the tire. The on board computer has never complained and the speed is right on. Hope this helps.

KnightRider
    Last edited by KnightRider68; 02-24-2017 at 03:55 PM. Reason: forgot the word "used"

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default WELLLLLLL NOW THAT YOU MENTION IT

Quote Originally Posted by HayRog View Post
    The " Kumho " is a CAR tire !!!!! .......... Mike

Spyder Garage

Default General Altimax RT 43

I am running the General Altimax RT 43 on the rear of the spyder. The rear tire was replaced @ 5,824 miles.

I now have 10,176 miles on the General Altimax RT 43.

Also, I am running @ 26 PSI.

I have a 2014RTS--SE6. The rear tire was replaced on 6/20/15.

Another vote for the General Altimax RT 43. Tire size: 215/60 R 15.

Deanna
    Last edited by Deanna777; 12-03-2017 at 07:08 PM.

Current Spyder - 2023 F3 LTD Special Mineral Blue

Red LED NANO Saddlebag Marker Lights with Full Illumination
    Sequential Fender LED'S (Amber/Red) with Safety Reflector
    Dual Power Plate (12 V & USB ports)
    Gremlin Bell
    Rear Trunk Organizer (4 holders, 2 Elastic Holders)
    Lamonster "Top Cuff" with adjustable drink Holder
    SpyderPops Missing Guard Belt
    Console Accent Trim (Carbon Fiber Domed Black)
    Ultimate F3 Floorboards
    Front Fairing Service Access Door Covers (Carbon Fiber Doomed Black)
    Sway Bar with Links
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Half Cover

Former Spyder - 2014 RTS SE6 Cognac SOLD
    2023 F3 LTD Special Series , N/A N/A Mineral Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    The " Kumho " is a CAR tire !!!!! .......... Mike
    Not according to my dealer !
    IF I heard him correctly -- I have been know to "mis-hear" -- quite often -- ask Debbie

But thanks Mike, I'll have to check back with them.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by fjray View Post
    Roger, have the tire shipped to me and I'll mount it when you are here for the Reuben Run.
    Helluva offer Ray, thanks. Might just take you up on that. About time we made another Reuben Run.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Is the dealer local? I know Panama City Cycles will only change a tire purchase there. Dale

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by d.o.spyder-rts View Post
    Is the dealer local? I know Panama City Cycles will only change a tire purchase there. Dale

Fort Walton Beach
    2015 RT Limited Intense Red Pearl

Spyder Garage

Khumo tire for me. i have 15k on mine am sure to get another 10k on it. no way will i pay the dealer for inflated prices.

Spyder Garage

South Florida 14 RTS, Yokohama S Drive. We typically ride 2 up, so 25 psi, if I ride solo I have tested 24 psi.

Seems many other Spyders around here are also installing Yokohama S Drives with great results.

As for mileage, no detectable wear as of yet, but no where near the use some of the others have posted.

If only they made the S Drive in a size to work on the front.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PMK View Post
    South Florida 14 RTS, Yokohama S Drive. We typically ride 2 up, so 25 psi, if I ride solo I have tested 24 psi.

Seems many other Spyders around here are also installing Yokohama S Drives with great results.

As for mileage, no detectable wear as of yet, but no where near the use some of the others have posted.

If only they made the S Drive in a size to work on the front.
    Yokohama
    Avid S34FA 175/55-15

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Deanna777 View Post
    I am running the General Altimax RT 43 on the rear of the spyder. The rear tire was replaced @ 5,824 miles.

I now have 10,176 miles on the General Altimax RT 43. Also, I am running @ 26 PSI.

I have a 2014RTS--SE6. The rear tire was replaced on 6/20/15.

Another vote for the General Altimax RT 43. Tire size: 215/60 R 15.

Deanna
    General Altimax RT 43, 215/60 R 15 for me too. Price and performance rating fit my riding needs. 9,000 miles and still looking good at 26 psi.
    Kraut “Not all who wander are lost” – J.R.R. Tolkien