Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Yah, I think the real game changer there was the phrase "up here in western Canada"
    Down here in Minnesota, I'll have to use the other suggestions, I think, thanks all.
    Safe Rides,
    David and Sharon Goebel
    Both Retired USAF Veterans
    2018 Anniversary Edition RT Limited
    Baja Ron ultimate swaybar. Vredestein tires, Baja Ron Front Shock Pre-load adjusters, Pedal Box, See my Spyder Garage
    IBA 70020

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by DGoebel View Post
    Yah, I think the real game changer there was the phrase "up here in western Canada"
    Down here in Minnesota, I'll have to use the other suggestions, I think, thanks all.

Dave, I took my wheel off of my bike and brought it to Midnight Cycle in Hastings. However, that was a M/C tire, but you could ask if he can do a Can AM wheel. Nice people, and if they might be more flexible.

Much lower cost than Midwest Cycle in Mpls.

I haven't got around to needing one for my Spyder yet, so you will be my lead on that.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Gary View Post
    call me old school but you can balance your rear tire in the frame on a jack. leave the axel loose so the tire spins free, static balance is the preferred way, the heavy side will stop on the bottom. tape 1/2 oz at the top, rotate again. repeat until the tire stops randomly. when done replace your taped on weight with new stick-ons. you can get them from any auto parts store. If you have questions talk to a local bike shop about static balancing.

Gary

ps it's worked for me for over 40 years
    Yes, or use two automotive jackstands and the axle for balancing the rear wheel assembly.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by HayRog View Post
    my dealer won't entertain a car tire as a replacement.
    My servicing dealer feels the same way. I'm bummed that I have to go to a different dealer just to get tires mounted
    2021 Marsala Red Metallic RT Limited

Spyder Garage

Default Reply on rear tire

Quote Originally Posted by DJFaninTN View Post
    OK, we all know there are more than a few New Rear Tire Questions that can be found on here, but some of them kind of go off subject and get in a pissing contest. I am getting ready to replace mine after 14k miles on the stock tire and finally found a dealer who is willing to replace the old tire with what tire I pick.

My question is this for those of you who have replaced your tire with a non Kendra tire. What tire did you choose and how many miles have you put on your new tire? Oh, and what PSI are you running?? I've narrowed my selection down to the following and leaning towards the Yokohama or Michelin. Not interested in going back to a Kendra tire.

Yokohama S-Drive 205/55 R15

Michelin Premier A/S 205/60 R-15

Dunlop Direzza DZ102 205/50 R15

General Altimax RT 43 215/60-15
    In my opinion, right now I'm running the General.The rear tire has 23,500 and still has maybe 10,000 to go.
    I think I'll stay with this one.
    Buckeye Chuck

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Devious56 View Post
    Well, I rode from Jacksonville Florida to Kissimmee and and had them install a Kumho Ecsta AST in the OEM size (225/50-15). I had 11,000 on the stock tire and may have gotten another 1,000 but decided I wanted something better. I've put about 1,500 on the Kumho and have no regrets, it is a much more stable ride, and has good traction. The price was good, and the service at Central Florida Power Sports was even better. Before giving it back to me, they washed it and filled the gas tank.
    Why are using the Kissimmee dealer rather than one closer?

Spyder Garage

Well
    Flat out motor sports in Indy put my Yokohama s on for me no problem. Bought it on amazon, delivered next day, installed that aft.
    Drove all summer, came back to Florida & drove all winter.
    Then some guys in a black SUV killed me with sub machine guns for violating 110 different car tire laws.
    Wat a bunch of bs about car tire violations.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Spyder Garage

Watch out
    The black SUV with 50 Cal is coming up on you
    Did you take that tag off of your mattress?
    Many dealers will in fact put on any tire with in reason.
    There are no orders from headquarters.
    OMG a hand grenade just flew in my front door
    Ahhhhhh🏍👽🕵🚵🎬👤

Spyder Garage

The crappy OEM Kenda tires ARE automotive profile tires that mount on SAE standard rims. They are just so weak in the side wall that they could not support the weight of an actual car. Therefore they get the 'For Motorcycle Use Only' side wall branding. They will not actually fit on a motorcycle rim.

Oh and that black SUV was just me....

20170313_122659.jpg
    Last edited by jcthorne; 03-20-2017 at 06:13 AM.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

I went down to the local tire store here in rural Utah Spring City), and asked him what the best tire he had was. He told me, I brought him the rim and he mounted and balanced it for me. Got it done in an afternoon including me painting my rim. I think tire mounting,balancing and disposal fee was around $100.00

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by pegasus1300 View Post
    I went down to the local tire store here in rural Utah Spring City), and asked him what the best tire he had was. He told me, I brought him the rim and he mounted and balanced it for me. Got it done in an afternoon including me painting my rim. I think tire mounting,balancing and disposal fee was around $100.00
    What tire did you get, and was it front or rear?

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

TIRE TALK..... LOL....

Attached Images Attached Images
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black
    Bought June 2013 with 450 miles. 27K on 8-1-2017.
    Farkles - DIY Trunk Break Light, HMT Break Light, DIY Mirror Turn Signal Lights, DIY Bluetooth Dongle, DIY iPod Setup, DIY Alarm System Install, Show Chrome front fender / rear saddle bag lights, 4th break light around the trunk, Vented Windshield, Baja Ron Sway Bar, DIY GPS setup, Smooth Spyder, BRP Chrome Mirrors, Adjustable deflectors, Triaxis handlebars, NVB Pegs, Bad Boy Airhorn... More to come
    2011 RT-S SM5 , Baja Ron Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoMtnSpyder View Post
    What tire did you get, and was it front or rear?
    I bought one for the rear. I think it was a MasterCraft,but not too sure. Like I said I asked what was his best tire and he told me,I didn't recognize the name but I trusted his judgement. This is a small area (only 2 stoplights in the whole county) and you wont last too long if you give your customers bad advice.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by pegasus1300 View Post
    I bought one for the rear. I think it was a MasterCraft,but not too sure. Like I said I asked what was his best tire and he told me,I didn't recognize the name but I trusted his judgement. This is a small area (only 2 stoplights in the whole county) and you wont last too long if you give your customers bad advice.
    The one thing that really makes the process of choosing a tire so frustrating and challenging is the myriad brands that are out there, and sometimes how short they last on the market or how limited they are distributed. I'll be getting my Continental Contiprocontact front tires via UPS tomorrow from Tire Rack. I got a Tire Rack catalog today. Guess what, the procontacts aren't in there! Does that mean they're short for the world, or just that the demand for them isn't great enough to list them in a printed catalog? I can readily understand why some owners say screw it and just go the easy route, Kendas from the dealer!

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default TIRE RACK

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoMtnSpyder View Post
    The one thing that really makes the process of choosing a tire so frustrating and challenging is the myriad brands that are out there, and sometimes how short they last on the market or how limited they are distributed. I'll be getting my Continental Contiprocontact front tires via UPS tomorrow from Tire Rack. I got a Tire Rack catalog today. Guess what, the procontacts aren't in there! Does that mean they're short for the world, or just that the demand for them isn't great enough to list them in a printed catalog? I can readily understand why some owners say screw it and just go the easy route, Kendas from the dealer!
    I would guess they have approx. 5000 tires for sale ...... Imagine the size of the catalog ...... Look on-line .........( and they have only half what Discount Tire Direct has )........ jmho ...... Mike

Spyder Garage

What a relief ---- wait a second --- they all look the same! It could be a trick. --- yes they are dragging me inside. Going to give me truth serum, force me to say who installed my Yokohama. Then shred it. They are wearing BRP shirts!
    Thank God, I just woke up. Its OK-- silly nightmare.

Spyder Garage

BTW bought my tire out of 100s of options on Amazon.
    Got it & had it installed nxt day. $178 total give or take a few bucks.

Spyder Garage

And the tire I decided to go with was ........

IMG_5603.jpg
    2015 RT Limited Intense Red Pearl

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Hancook has a225 50 r15 that will not change you spedo.

Spyder Garage

Same I went with the Yokohama S-DRIVE as well for the wife's ST, now when the snow stops here in NY we will head over and get it mounted up. Plus I will bring my new baby home a 2016 RTL in Pearl White
    2016 RT Limited , White

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by DJFaninTN View Post
    And the tire I decided to go with was ........

IMG_5603.jpg

Hey, Did you steal my tire? Oh wait, nevermind, its still in the garage
    2017-03-30 22.40.58.jpg
    NEW/CURRENT (Wife's Bike, I ride Goldwing/Africa Twin)
    2023 RT Limited Petrol Blue Metallic
    Working on the upgrades... so far... Show Chrome Isolator Fuse Block, Tackform Adventure Wireless charger phone mount

OLD/TRADED
    2015 RT Limited Intense Red Pearl
    Farkles: Ultimate Tallboy seat, FOBO, JT Dash Mount, Lamonster Spyder Cuff, Kradellock, TricLED lighting - fenders, A-Arms, saddlebags, run/brake, Custom Dynamics high brake light, brake modulator, Drink2Go passenger, MUTH turn signal mirrors, Bajaron sway bar, Kuryakyn ISO grips, SpyderTV front grilles & rear trunk organizer, homemade trunk light
    Pending: Elka shocks, Yokohama S Drive rear tire, EVO 595 front tires, Centramatic balancers, Neutrino black box

Spyder Garage

Goooood Choice

Spyder Garage

Default BFG Advantage TA Sport H rated?

So I found a very local guy (Faribault is little rural town south of MSP/STP) that will put on a tire on my 2013 RTL, but...
    He suggested a BF Goodrich Advantage TA Sport H Rated in 205-65-15, says it's quieter than some of the others, GREAT
    load rating (I'm pushing 250) and has good wet traction. Comments? I gave him the list that's been suggested but he
    felt that some of those tires don't have a high enough load rating compared to the stock tires even though he didn't like
    the Kenda brand at all.
    Safe Rides,
    David and Sharon Goebel
    Both Retired USAF Veterans
    2018 Anniversary Edition RT Limited
    Baja Ron ultimate swaybar. Vredestein tires, Baja Ron Front Shock Pre-load adjusters, Pedal Box, See my Spyder Garage
    IBA 70020

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

So I found a very local guy (Faribault is little rural town south of MSP/STP) that will put on a tire on my 2013 RTL, but...
    He suggested a BF Goodrich Advantage TA Sport H Rated in 205-65-15, says it's quieter than some of the others, GREAT
    load rating (I'm pushing 250) and has good wet traction. Comments? I gave him the list that's been suggested but he
    felt that some of those tires don't have a high enough load rating compared to the stock tires even though he didn't like
    the Kenda brand at all.
    I don't think those tires are rated very highly by Tire Rack. The RT-43 Altimax is. Not sure why he thinks car tires aren't strong enough for a Spyder. Good size is 215/60/15.
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Spyder Garage

...felt that some of those tires don't have a high enough load rating compared to the stock tires even though he didn't like
    the Kenda brand at all.
    Did he actually LOOK at the load ratings on the Kenda vs those others!?!

I haven't seen any alternative car tire that doesn't have a significantly HIGHER Load Rating than the Kendas, & most have at least the same if not a higher Speed Rating! That's a lot of the issue with the Kendas & that 'Special Motorcycle Use Only' stamp on the sidewall!! They ARE NOT a Motorcycle tire, they are a car tire that has a load rating SO LOW that you can't use them safely on anything much besides a Spyder or a lightweight wheelbarrow, so they have been given a Special marker on the sidewall to stop you mistakenly putting them on anything heavier!!

I'd stand at that tire blokes front desk & use his books to do that load rating comparison myself, & then ask him (in a big loud voice so every other customer could hear me clearly) to explain why he was so full of & did he always lie to his potential customers like that before taking my business elsewhere!!