Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789
    Spyder Garage

Playing me? Totally what an internet bully would think. At least you're honest that you are.

You still can't come up with proof that 14psi is right and 25psi is wrong.

You know what?? They are probably both right!
    2015 RT Limited: Fox Shocks - RonJon swaybar and links - BRP Comfort Seat - BRP Triaxis handlebars - Yokohama tires (26psi fronts 28psi back) - Centramatic wheel balancers - BRP belt tensioner - BRP Short windshield - CATdelete/Spyder1 attitude exhaust - Lamonster footpegs - sintered brake pads - LED TRYCLED lights - BumpSkid

2015 RT Limited , black

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

How about you two just put the keyboard equivalent of a sock in it. Your constant back & forth is getting tiresome and is not adding any value to the discussion. You both know you'll never change each other's mind, so just let it go. Enough already!

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Just when I thought we were making progress!

No problem.

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoMtnSpyder View Post
    How about you two just put the keyboard equivalent of a sock in it. Your constant back & forth is getting tiresome and is not adding any value to the discussion. You both know you'll never change each other's mind, so just let it go. Enough already!
    2015 RT Limited: Fox Shocks - RonJon swaybar and links - BRP Comfort Seat - BRP Triaxis handlebars - Yokohama tires (26psi fronts 28psi back) - Centramatic wheel balancers - BRP belt tensioner - BRP Short windshield - CATdelete/Spyder1 attitude exhaust - Lamonster footpegs - sintered brake pads - LED TRYCLED lights - BumpSkid

2015 RT Limited , black

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default A SOCK IN IT ????

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoMtnSpyder View Post
    #1., WHY are you reading these posts ???? ....#2., add me to your " IGNORE " list ....#3., from the PM's I've received about ... you know who ... they for the most part think they are hilarious, it's not often we get treated to such an array of " Butt Science " theories from one individual, who is also Rabid about there validity .... annnnnnnnnnnnd this is all in good clean fun ( at least on my part ) .... 70% of the folks on this Forum aren't riding much now, if any at all .................Would you rather we discuss - OIL - TIRES - Insurance etc. ....... Mike

Spyder Garage

OK, now blue font. Maybe a bit more passive aggressive.

Peter, you never answered my question.

2015 RT Limited , black

Spyder Garage

Default Returning you to regularly scheduled programing

Back to rear tires: Following my rear tire change, I had a little problem with the rear caliper (see other thread) Now that everything is kosher again, here are my thoughts on the Yokohama Avid Envigor in 205/65R15. I'm running it a 30psi for now.

It is very much smoother riding than the Kenda. I pushed it pretty hard through some curves and it felt more stable than the Kenda. Prior to the change, I took my cell phone and set it on a bicycle app with a GPS. At 75mph the digital speedo was consistently from 2 to 2.5mph faster than GPS speed. Now, with the new tire, the digital speedo is consistently faster than GPS by only about:

.1 to .2mph at 40mph
    .4 to .6mph at 75mph
    .7 to .9mph at 80mph

I couldn't seem to get the imbedded link feature to work on the tire so here it is. https://www.tires-easy.com/205-65-15...tirecode/32116
    Last edited by cruisinTX; 12-01-2017 at 05:12 PM.
    2014 RT Limited , pewter (magnesium?)

Spyder Garage

Default HIGH PSI

Quote Originally Posted by cruisinTX View Post
    Back to rear tires: Following my rear tire change, I had a little problem with the rear caliper (see other thread) Now that everything is kosher again, here are my thoughts on the Yokohama Avid Envigor in 205/65R15. I'm running it a 30psi for now.

It is very much smoother riding than the Kenda. I pushed it pretty hard through some curves and it felt more stable than the Kenda. Prior to the change, I took my cell phone and set it on a bicycle app with a GPS. At 75mph the digital speedo was consistently from 2 to 2.5mph faster than GPS speed. Now, with the new tire, the digital speedo is consistently faster than GPS by only about:

.1 to .2mph at 40mph
    .4 to .6mph at 75mph
    .7 to .9mph at 80mph

I couldn't seem to get the imbedded link feature to work on the tire so here it is. https://www.tires-easy.com/205-65-15...tirecode/32116
    Question at 30 psi on a CAR tire, ( that is being used on a Spyder that weighs 2,000 to 3,000 lbs LESS than the car it was designed for ) ... why do you think it needs that much pressure to work properly ??? .... Any car tire has twice as many pies or more than a Kenda which needs 28 psi to function ( if poorly at best ). I run my Michelin at 17 psi and it performs SPECTACULARLY at that psi ..... and I very often ride at the limits off adhesion .......believe it or not , the tire is a suspension component ....at 30 psi you are riding on a BRICK, which creates a very Hard ride. And reduces traction, especially if the road is wet ..... try 17-18 psi, Nothing Bad will happen, and you might like how it feels .... this was learned from REAL science not Butt science ............... ride safe .... Mike
    Last edited by BLUEKNIGHT911; 06-26-2018 at 02:57 PM.

Spyder Garage

Just remember CruisinTX, that it's the volume of air inside the tire that carries the load of your vehicle - and putting too much air in there means the tire cannot do all those things it needs to do in order to carry out that function properly - it blows it up like an over inflated balloon & it becomes hard like a steel railway wheel, totally defeating the purpose of running a pnuematic tire in the first place & stopping the tire from doing some smart things to make your ryde safer & nicer.... Things that running at less than steel hard pressures will do for you & part of the reason for using pnuematic tires rather than solid steel or even solid rubber tires include letting the tire sidewalls flex sufficiently to warm up & get the tread compound up to its operating temp so it can grip better than a solid tire/tread; keeping the tread flat on the road during cornering; helping absorb road shocks & resisting punctures from stones or sharp objects it passes over; resisting hydroplaning in the wet, et al; pretty much all fairly important stuff to most of us - and that's even before you go as far as considering how quickly over-inflation will make the tire blow up just like an over-inflated balloon so that it's only running on a thin strip of tread down the middle of the tread, wearing that strip out prematurely & massively reducing the contact patch of rubber tread to the road & thereby lessening the tires ability to do many of those previously mentioned things even more, but certainly making it roll easily & steer directly... at least while it has grip.... but it'll likely only have that on smooth roads & probably only maintain it safely at lower speeds than those most of us drive/ryde at, even if we are ryding at less than the posted speed limit!!

Have you noticed that most tires have 'Max load at Max pressure' info stamped on their sidewalls, hinting to most of us that lesser loads require somewhat less pressure than the max the tire is safely capable of... a conclusion that's helped by the fact that the 'less than max load' of the average car on its tires generally requires somewhat less than the indicated max pressure shown on the tire sidewalls - as evidenced by each particular cars' tire placard.... How many cars have you seen that have a recommended pressure that is equal to the max pressure shown on the tire?!? So when we get to a Spyder that puts a load at most of maybe a few hundred kgs onto your tire instead of the over 1000kgs that most car tires can carry at their maximum pressure (but rarely actually do!!) isn't it logical that the tire fitted to a Spyder will only need maybe 18-20 psi to carry 200kgs or so instead of the 28 or 32 psi or more it might need to carry the 1200 odd kgs or more it'd hafta carry if it was fitted to a car?? If you like, you could even do the arithmetic yourself... it's not hard to work out what fraction of the tires max weight shown on the sidewall your loaded Spyder is placing on the tire, then apply that same fraction to the max pressure shown on the sidewall, you could even use the 4psi rule to confirm how close you are - or you could run around with the same pressure in your Spyder tires that they'd need to carry something 3 times or more as heavy, massively reducing the ability of that pnuematic tire to do what it's been designed to do..... which is effectively what you are doing by running 30psi in that tire fitted to a Spyder weighing a few hundred kgs instead of almost a couple of thousand....
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 12-01-2017 at 07:39 PM.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

OK, I don't want to offend anyone and I don't want to get into this whole car tire vs Spyder tire debate. If you read my post carefully, I did say "30psi for now." I stated it that way because I fully intend to experiment a little. I really don't feel it's necessary to explain every little detail of what my plans are except to say I simply wanted to compare the ride between various pressures for 50 to 100 miles at a time. Just so some of you don't fret over me dying a firey death because of my tire pressure, yes I will likely have it back down below 28 or less tomorrow for a longer ride than the 75 I rode today.

BTW. I have lifetime total of just over 437,000 miles on motorcycles so it's not like I am new to regulating pressure in tires to fit the bike I'm currently riding, but thanks for your concerns.

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

OK, I don't want to offend anyone and I don't want to get into this whole car tire vs Spyder tire debate. If you read my post carefully, I did say "30psi for now." I stated it that way because I fully intend to experiment a little. I really don't feel it's necessary to explain every little detail of what my plans are except to say I simply wanted to compare the ride between various pressures for 50 to 100 miles at a time. Just so some of you don't fret over me dying a firey death because of my tire pressure, yes I will likely have it back down below 28 or less tomorrow for a longer ride than the 75 I rode today.

BTW. I have lifetime total of just over 437,000 miles on motorcycles so it's not like I am new to regulating pressure in tires to fit the bike I'm currently riding, but thanks for your concerns.

2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Spyder Garage

Uh, oh. Here it comes! Don't get any ideas that this will be tolerated around here! Your experience may not matter to some folks. Definitely do not admit that you are tweaking it by how your ride feels. Heresy! LOL!

I'm at currently at 28psi at the rear tire. Awesome ride for me with the Yokohama S Drive. "Feels great" and I don't give a baloney what soft-tire-experts say.

2015 RT Limited , black

Spyder Garage

Default LOW PSI - DOUBTERS

I see three guys on a knoll at Kitty Hawk ..... all of them are shouting to the crowd " if man were meant to fly, He would have been born with wings " ... and then they all .... until the plane leaves the ground ..... then they look at each and say .... Nope it didn't fly, did you see it fly .... .... in one voice ....Nope never happened ....... I think I read about a group in Spain ( the country ), that call themselves " the Flat World Society " ..... there are ... Three members ..... Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    I see three guys on a knoll at Kitty Hawk ..... all of them are shouting to the crowd " if man were meant to fly, He would have been born with wings " ... and then they all .... until the plane leaves the ground ..... then they look at each and say .... Nope it didn't fly, did you see it fly .... .... in one voice ....Nope never happened ....... I think I read about a group in Spain ( the country ), that call themselves " the Flat World Society " ..... there are ... Three members ..... Mike

This is the best analogy you can come up with? It's like a comedian that bombs a joke.

Now purple font..... you're opening up and becoming less angry! Maybe a softer side to you?

I'll still race you at your 14psi to my 26psi.

2015 RT Limited , black

Spyder Garage

Default BEST ANALOGY

Quote Originally Posted by tehrlich View Post
    This is the best analogy you can come up with? It's like a comedian that bombs a joke.

Now purple font..... you're opening up and becoming less angry! Maybe a softer side to you?

I'll still race you at your 14psi to my 26psi.
    ..... No not my best, I actually have five others that were much better, but I picked the " Easiest " to understand for your benefit .............. ..... Mike

Spyder Garage

well I knocked off just over 300 miles on the Spyder yesterday with the rear tire at 25psi and the front ones at 22. It felt just way to squishy with the rear at that level. I think I'm going to bump it up to 35 and leave it there a while; see how that feels. 22 on the front felt a little squirrely on some of the tighter cuves too, so I'm gonna try 30 in those.

Y'all ride safe now--ya hear?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    ..... No not my best, I actually have five others that were much better, but I picked the " Easiest " to understand for your benefit .............. ..... Mike

Back to red. You're like a mood ring.

But, still unable to prove that 14psi is right and 25psi is wrong. You only have speculation, no proof.

Just like your suspension linkage that you are building in your basement: speculation that it will work, be safe, not fatigue other joints, etc., etc. Your self-proclaimed authority is comical because you can only back up your statements with red font, abused emoji's, and self-aggrandizement.

Have fun in your basement this winter. I'm out riding.

2015 RT Limited , black

Spyder Garage

Default PROOF ID IN THE ? ? ?

Quote Originally Posted by tehrlich View Post
    Back to red. You're like a mood ring... Today I'm happy so it will be Green

But, still unable to prove that 14psi is right and 25psi is wrong. You only have speculation, no proof.... I have lots of proof, hundred's of hours of reading .... What I don't have is the time or energy to provide them ....at least not for FREE..... I told you a few posts back ( which you have ignored ) that I was PAID for my knowledge so Why should I provide it for free to you ????.. Peter Aawen has typed thousands of words on this subject ( which I 100% agree with ) and YOU have IGNORED all of it ...He did it for FREE ... ...So if I'm going to waste my time with you, I need to get paid for it.

Just like your suspension linkage that you are building in your basement: speculation that it will work, be safe, not fatigue other joints, etc., etc. Your self-proclaimed authority is comical because you can only back up your statements with red font, abused emoji's, and self-aggrandizement...... .... I won't even get into this subject, other than to say, that the people I've " given " these to ..... have been very pleased with the results ......the only draw-back so far is they say they are going faster now and the " Nanny ", isn't happy about it....................

Have fun in your basement this winter. I'm out riding.
    ...........Specific answers are in GREEN & BLUE above /// annnnnnnnnnd please don't stop with your rants & tirades .......... you'd be amazed how many folks here think you are hilarious , .... just check the " VIEW " count - it has gone way up since you have started posting on this Thread, Winter ( down time ) fun ...... you might consider posting your stuff on the " JOKE " forum section ................Love , Mike
    Last edited by BLUEKNIGHT911; 12-03-2017 at 11:41 AM.

Spyder Garage

I've read a lot of what Peter has written. He is very articulate and I understand where he is coming from. But, no one is bold enough to come out and say that there is a RANGE of tire pressures to use for different reasons. He has still not answered my question about heat changes across the tire surface. I did measure them as he suggested, even at the intervals he suggested.

Glad to see you posting in black now.

By the way... I would love to read some of your court cases. All I ask is if you give me a range of dates, county courthouse and maybe your badge number. It would be interesting to see what you made tens of thousands of dollars testifying about. A PM is totally understandable for this.

2015 RT Limited , black

Spyder Garage

Default CLOSE CALL!

I rode 6 hours today through the Texas hill country from Spicewood, Llano, Mason, Fredonia, Comanche, Inks Lake, Marble Falls, and home.

When I was just getting south of Marble Falls on Highway 281, I had a major close call. Maybe the closest I've ever had on my Spyder, other than when a boulder flipped out of a truck and skipped off of my hood.

I was in the fast lane of a 4 lane undivided highway, and there was a Dodge truck completely off of the right side of the road in front of me. He was even off of the shoulder! He makes a U-TURN to his left RIGHT IN FRONT of me and the car in the right hand lane. Needless to say, I slammed on my brake right through the release of the foot board.

Ron Jon's ceramic brake pads worked like a charm! In that split second I didn't skid or alter off course. I almost went right into the driver side door, but avoided it. The road was slightly wet. Moist from a light shower earlier.

Because of this highly-favored, emoji-abuser, low-pressure, sanctioned drag race winner in his basement, I was checking my psi's and heat signatures off of the tires throughout my ride. I had JUST checked them, maybe 5 minutes before this.

27psi up front and 29 psi in the back, and it stopped on a dime. He can throw down all the emoji's he wants and paste the big letter L in every post that he wants. This is what I like, and I've even proven to myself that it is safe.

Again... I don't care what people are riding their tires at. I'm not even suggesting you go to this pressure. I had an AWESOME ride today: fast, nimble, quick, and even avoided a major accident.

2015 RT Limited , black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

WTF fellas! This argument belongs on another thread at least. Look at the thread title for Pete's sake. You're ruining it for everyone else!
    Last edited by UtahPete; 12-03-2017 at 07:36 PM.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by UtahPete View Post
    WTF fellas! This argument belongs on another thread at least. Look at the thread title for Pete's sake. You're ruining it for everyone else!
    but wait a minute; aren't you Pete and you want us to do it for your sake? nevermind, forgot where I was going with that; happens a lot since I retired. carry on.

Spyder Garage

Default Yokohama S Drive replaced with Yokohama - ADVAN FLEVA V701

Hi All,
    Having trouble finding an S Drive 205/55/15 size in my area (Montreal, Quebec, Canada) for my 2011 Can AM Spyder RT but did find out that Yokohama is replacing it with the ADVAN FLEVA V701 and they have it in 205/55/15 size. I am just wondering if anyone here has tried this new tire on a Spyder, I would be interested in knowing how it handles before making the purchase. Is it the same as the S Drive?

Any comments would be appreciated !!!!

Spyder Garage

Default 2015 RT

I have a 2015 RT ( bought it new in 2016) been on several long trips 3600 mile, 1500 mile, 2 or 3 800 milers. I have 16k and my tire still looks great.
    i have mine set at 31psi. I have a Fobo set at 28 max 32.
    Fronts 18.

My middle is wore down but the sides still look good on the back tire. Do I need to replace it now?

how long can I go on the front tires?

thanks