Thread: U-CLEAR USERS

Spyder Garage

Default U-CLEAR USERS

Considering buying the U-CLEAR AMP PRO, anybody have any comments? Good, Bad or Ugly?

Thanks,

Rick
    USAF MSgt, Retired
    2018 F3 Intense Red
    Squared Away Lasar alignment, TricLED Headlights, Foglights,Safety Bundle with Turn Module, BajaRon Sway Bar,Squared Away Mirror Wedges, Stebel Air Horn, Dash Turn Indicators, TricLED USA Flag
    2018 F3L , Intense Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by rtotten View Post
    Considering buying the U-CLEAR AMP PRO, anybody have any comments? Good, Bad or Ugly?
    Thanks,
    Rick
    I just bought that model and have been using it for a month or so with a Shoei J Cruise, Rick.

The speakers are very clear, the microphones above the eyebrows works very well when using the phone, but you have to make sure you follow the speaker and microphone placement instructions precisely. Using only 3 push buttons on the unit to do EVERYTHING is a little inconvenient at first, but you soon get used to it.

The only issue I have found (and it is recognised by Uclear and they are working on a firmware upgrade), is that you can not get good sound when you use your Garmin 595 as the hub. i.e. pair your phone to the 595 and then pair the 595 to the Uclear to use all the linking features (traffic updates etc) of the 595. Apparently there is some incompatibility between the Garmin Bluetooth and the Uclear Bluetooth. I have paired my phone to the Uclear and my 595 to the Uclear. This works fine for me as I pull over to make phone calls anyway as it rarely happens.

Unfortunately I can not comment on the intercom ease of use as I have not had the pillion riding with me since I got the unit.

I am very impressed with it as I really do not like boom mikes.

Hope that helps.

Pete
    Last edited by Peteoz; 02-22-2017 at 03:05 PM.
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peteoz View Post
    I just bought that model and have been using it for a month or so with a Shoei J Cruise, Rick.

The speakers are very clear, the microphones above the eyebrows works very well when using the phone, but you have to make sure you follow the speaker and microphone placement instructions precisely. Using only 3 push buttons on the unit to do EVERYTHING is a little inconvenient at first, but you soon get used to it.

The only issue I have found (and it is recognised by Uclear and they are working on a firmware upgrade), is that you can not get good sound when you use your Garmin 595 as the hub. i.e. pair your phone to the 595 and then pair the 595 to the Uclear to use all the linking features (traffic updates etc) of the 595. Apparently there is some incompatibility between the Garmin Bluetooth and the Uclear Bluetooth. I have paired my phone to the Uclear and my 595 to the Uclear. This works fine for me as I pull over to make phone calls anyway as it rarely happens.

Unfortunately I can not comment on the intercom ease of use as I have not had the pillion riding with me since I got the unit.

I am very impressed with it as I really do not like boom mikes.

Hope that helps.

Pete
    Is it true Uclear stopped making the HD version? I was on a web site and this unit was marked as 'no longer available'?
    I've been thinking of switching from Sena 10 to Uclear but haven't found enough feedback to convince me it would be a good move.

Spyder Garage

I have an AMP plus. I have used it only a few times, but so far I like it. I like the music and the people I have spoken with on the phone say it's really quite good. But my use has been limited because it's February in Iowa. I'll have a better idea in a month or so.
    Now
    2021 Sea2Sky
    Former
    2015 F3-S

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ChicoFowler View Post
    Is it true Uclear stopped making the HD version? I was on a web site and this unit was marked as 'no longer available'?
    I've been thinking of switching from Sena 10 to Uclear but haven't found enough feedback to convince me it would be a good move.
    Sorry, but I don't know what you mean by the HD version Chico. The AMP PRO is the top of the range Uclear and is recognised as having the highest quality of any bluetooth helmet speaker currently available (but I'm sure that will soon change). It is certainly available to buy from Revzilla and others, and is at the top of the Uclear website.

For me, with my key drivers of good clear audio so that I do not have to have the sound loud, coupled with no boom mike, the Pro is definitely a step up from my SMH10. Others, with different key drivers, for example - large controls etc, may not find it so. What exactly are you looking for in your Comms gear?

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

Perhaps he is referring to the HBC200 HD Force model listed on the uclear Web site. It's listed there, but shows as out of stock.

Sent telepathically
    ¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬
    2012 Spyder RS

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peteoz View Post
    Sorry, but I don't know what you mean by the HD version Chico. The AMP PRO is the top of the range Uclear and is recognised as having the highest quality of any bluetooth helmet speaker currently available (but I'm sure that will soon change). It is certainly available to buy from Revzilla and others, and is at the top of the Uclear website.

For me, with my key drivers of good clear audio so that I do not have to have the sound loud, coupled with no boom mike, the Pro is definitely a step up from my SMH10. Others, with different key drivers, for example - large controls etc, may not find it so. What exactly are you looking for in your Comms gear?

Pete
    Rivercity45 had the right model. I have had Sena for 3 years and the only complaints I have are: 1) sometimes my wife cannot make out what I am saying and vise versa. 2) every now and then the voice breaks up with a lot of static and the only way to clear is to disconnect from the intercom and then reconnect.
    It works fine with Bluetooth connections to my GPS, Radio, XM and IPhone......really like the idea of "no boom" though.
    Does it cut down on the "wind noise"? Even with full face helmets, the Sena picks up a lot of wind.

Spyder Garage

Default U-Clear

My wife and I have the U-Clear and overall I'm happy with them, I don't have any other comparisons as they are the only com device I've used.
    We did link 4 of them together on a 5 day ride with our son and 12 year old granddaughter and they worked very well and kept everyone connected. I don't link them with all the other devices as I ride to get unconnected with all the BS out there and just use them to talk with the war-department as I put her on point so I don't have to keep watching behind me, when we do ride pillion which is seldom, they work fine.
    2014 RTL , Black Currant

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ChicoFowler View Post
    Rivercity45 had the right model. I have had Sena for 3 years and the only complaints I have are: 1) sometimes my wife cannot make out what I am saying and vise versa. 2) every now and then the voice breaks up with a lot of static and the only way to clear is to disconnect from the intercom and then reconnect.
    It works fine with Bluetooth connections to my GPS, Radio, XM and IPhone......really like the idea of "no boom" though.
    Does it cut down on the "wind noise"? Even with full face helmets, the Sena picks up a lot of wind.
    Sorry Chico, I can't answer the question of any intercom break up as I haven't tried it yet. The only comment I have on wind noise is that I had to lower the face shield on the J-Cruise when my wife called me (don't forget the milk! ) as she wasn't hearing me clearly.....as soon as I dropped the shield, she said it was crystal clear. I imagine that was because I have a wind shield that directs the wind to the top of my helmet, and that's where the two microphones are. I was travelling around 70mph at the time, so it was understandable. Normally, I would have the shield down at that speed anyway, so I wouldn't normally have experienced that. I called her later when I was travelling at 50mph and it worked fine with the shield up. So much depends on screen and fairing height, speed, model etc etc.

What I can say, categorically, is that the speakers are the clearest I have heard and that the microphones work at least as well as my previous SMH10 and Schuberth SRC booms.

.....apologies for being so long winded, but there are so many influences that can affect performance.

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited

HeliBars Handlebars
    Kenda Kanine rear.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by rtotten View Post
    Considering buying the U-CLEAR AMP PRO......
    For what it's worth, I have the older version, without the newer (better?) 'brow mike' bits (I think mine are a couple of the HBC200 sets) and these things are waaaaayyyy ahead of anything else I've ever used! If the AMP PRO versions are an upgrade on mine, then they will be pretty good units!

I've connected my Primary unit to the Phone, the GPS, & my music, the intercom to my Pillion, and a Rider to Rider link with the other 3 units 1 have; plus I've also added a couple of other Riders units in a daisy chained 'skip' thing with some 5 or so kms between the lead & tail 'bikes with the 4 others in between, & thru all that the contact & voice clarity has been (largely - see below) crystal clear!! Music is good, GPS is good, & if I answer a phone call while ryding, I generally hafta TELL the caller I'm on the Spyder so I can't do things like take notes or look up the calendar, & there have been times when callers have exhibited some disbelief 'because you are so clear, you don't even sound like you are on the phone in the car!'

The only exception to this clarity of sound has been when one of the other riders was wearing a Shark Evo3 helmet with the modular bit open - those helmets are pretty noisy & the rest of us got to sample his wind noise!! But with everyone else & the rest of the time, you don't get to hear wind noise from them & unless you are really hoofing it with an open visor or helmet, no-one will hear any wind noise transmitted from you over the phone either! On one other occasion, one ryder in a 6 unit link was listening to his music via the external speakers on his Spyder & he was wearing an open face helmet, so the rest of us got to listen to his music until we managed to tell him the music on his Spyder was being transmitted to the rest of us - it wasn't awful music & the transmitted clarity of sound was pretty good tho, so it was bearable listening but it did cut the talk time!! Besides, I blame the speakers for what distortion there was anyway!

They are pretty easy to set up, & once set up, they just work, & work bloody well - waaaayyy better & certainly easier & clearer than anything else I've ever used!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 02-23-2017 at 05:27 PM.

Spyder Garage

I had a uclear and I got rid of it. I prefer the Sena. Uclear messed up too much and I don't like to have to make changes on the move

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Can Am Spyder F3-S SE6
    2015 F3 , Gray/Black/Orange

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by aracrash View Post
    I had a uclear and I got rid of it. I prefer the Sena. Uclear messed up too much and I don't like to have to make changes on the move

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Which Uclear model did you own? Perhaps, if it's an older model they have rectified the problems.
    Now
    2021 Sea2Sky
    Former
    2015 F3-S

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Morturf View Post
    Which Uclear model did you own? Perhaps, if it's an older model they have rectified the problems.
    Good point Morturf. The OP was asking specifically about the new Pro. But even so, I had one of the first models out and had zero issues with phone, music or intercom. It is so often in the placement of the microphone(s) and speakers. I only moved away from Uclear as the Schuberth came with its own integrated SRC system (Scala). Now I am back with Shoei, I have gone back to Uclear.
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited

HeliBars Handlebars
    Kenda Kanine rear.

Spyder Garage

Default Noise cancelation

I have a some of the older models I believe they are the 100 series. I just want to make a comment about the noise cancelation algorithm. It is simply amazing. When talking to my wife on the phone I had my friend pull up next to me at a stop sign on his Harley. My wife could hear him talking to me clearly but couldn't hear his loud exhaust. All in all I see no reason to upgrade as they work so well.

Spyder Garage

Well I have ridden a number of days now with my Uclear amp plus. I am happy with them. Now I don't have any comparison because these are the first time I've used any of these. But I will say I like the com between the units. My buddy used my other unit and we rode through really awful traffic in the Miami area. It was great to be able to talk and get around. My phone gave Google maps instructions through the headset and music was great! The range was right at . 4 miles I got the Handlebar buttons and it nice. My friend has an open helmet and got the ear buds. Worked great! We ran 80+ mph and could hear very well. Like them!
    Now
    2021 Sea2Sky
    Former
    2015 F3-S