Very Active Member Roadster Renovations's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default BRP Future Advertising

With all of the other reverse trikes that are coming out and are in the works, I have been thinking that BRP should stress the safety controls more. They have had 10 years to perfect the safety controls or "nanny" and there is no way that any of the other 3 wheelers are going to have the software (and hardware) to compete with BRP.
    There is no way that I would be able to take the curves I do on one of those other machines.
    Was talking to a Wing 3 wheeler the other day and I really made him mad when I told him I didn't consider his bike safe, especially in curves. I think with public education, Can-Am would be the clear-cut choice for everyone.
    Maybe do a side by side comparison of how they perform on wet roads or show what happens when a wheel comes up? I think they need to stress the strengths; not worry about getting the public's eye as much.
    All it would take for someone to have a close call on one of these new three wheelers and they going to want to trade it off and buy the safer Spyder.

ARE YOU LISTENING, BRP?

Spyder Garage

Default Agree...

most of the others have abs but not much else.... leaners will have to have a whole different software....
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Humphreys View Post
    With all of the other reverse trikes that are coming out and are in the works, I have been thinking that BRP should stress the safety controls more. They have had 10 years to perfect the safety controls or "nanny" and there is no way that any of the other 3 wheelers are going to have the software (and hardware) to compete with BRP.
    There is no way that I would be able to take the curves I do on one of those other machines.
    Was talking to a Wing 3 wheeler the other day and I really made him mad when I told him I didn't consider his bike safe, especially in curves. I think with public education, Can-Am would be the clear-cut choice for everyone.
    Maybe do a side by side comparison of how they perform on wet roads or show what happens when a wheel comes up? I think they need to stress the strengths; not worry about getting the public's eye as much.
    All it would take for someone to have a close call on one of these new three wheelers and they going to want to trade it off and buy the safer Spyder.

ARE YOU LISTENING, BRP?
    Deanna

Current Spyder - 2023 F3 LTD Special Mineral Blue

Red LED NANO Saddlebag Marker Lights with Full Illumination
    Sequential Fender LED'S (Amber/Red) with Safety Reflector
    Dual Power Plate (12 V & USB ports)
    Gremlin Bell
    Rear Trunk Organizer (4 holders, 2 Elastic Holders)
    Lamonster "Top Cuff" with adjustable drink Holder
    SpyderPops Missing Guard Belt
    Console Accent Trim (Carbon Fiber Domed Black)
    Ultimate F3 Floorboards
    Front Fairing Service Access Door Covers (Carbon Fiber Doomed Black)
    Sway Bar with Links
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Half Cover
    A-Arm Daytime Dual Color LED Running Lights with Blinker Module
    Hi-Viz DRL and Sequential Mirrors lights

Former Spyder - 2014 RTS SE6 Cognac SOLD
    2023 F3 LTD Special Series , N/A N/A Mineral Blue

Spyder Garage

I am thinking the request is a bit premature. is currently a known commodity and other branded trikes (HD and GW kit versions) are of a different configuration. The new kit trikes (that have the coffin style frunk) do not have any "nanny" or extra safety devises that I am aware of. Rider magazine made mention of this in the last couple months.

Another consideration is that those trikes that are at a disadvantage will have no desire to be compared to the . When first came out, they could not even get BRP to contribute a for such a comparison test (against HD and GW). The time seems to have come and gone and until there is an actual competitor, such a test will be moot. IMO--of course.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Hi Doc,

Re: BRP should . . .

I tend to agree with most of your post. I think the Spyder is ( currently ) the best of the 3-wheelers out there.

Re: there is no way that any of the other 3 wheelers are going to have the software . . . to compete with BRP.

I find it somewhat ridiculous to think that software development ever stands still. IMO better & improved software is a fact of 21st century life; whether it is BRP's software or their competitor's software.

To think otherwise, I should probably turn my Mech Engr'g. degree to the wall.

Jerry Baumchen
    'I'll never forget what's her name.'

'Things are more like they are now than they ever have been before.' Dwight Eisenhower

2008 GS SE-5

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

None of these other Trikes (Other than the Piaggio, Slingshot, and Morgan) are currently available.
    I agree with your idea of focusing on safety, but Jerry is right: VSS systems will show up on the newcomers...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

What other reverse trikes?

Spyder #1 - 2008 GS SM5 Premier Edition #1977. RIP after 80,000 miles.
    Spyder #2 - 2012 RT SM5. Traded in after 24,000 miles.
    Spyder #3 - 2015 F3 SM6. Put 13,000 miles on and sold it.
    Spyder #4 - 2017 F3 SM6. Too good of a deal to pass up!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Default Frustrated father: "Why does a 3 yr old even WANT to take an alarm clock apart?!"

[QUOTE=JerryB;1228070]Hi Doc,

Re: BRP should . . .

I tend to agree with most of your post. I think the Spyder is ( currently ) the best of the 3-wheelers out there.

Re: there is no way that any of the other 3 wheelers are going to have the software . . . to compete with BRP.

I find it somewhat ridiculous to think that software development ever stands still. IMO better & improved software is a fact of 21st century life; whether it is BRP's software or their competitor's software.

To think otherwise, I should probably turn my Mech Engr'g. degree to the wall.

Jerry Baumchen[/QUOT

Just had to comment regarding your M/E degree - - My not-so-baby-brother an M/E degree as well and he recently visited a Spyder dealership to "check out an F3 and make sure it's safe for you, sis." After apparently toooo many questions, the sales rep finally took him back to the shop area, turned him loose, and let him speak with a tech (or two) to satisfy his curiosity....

What is it about "you people" with "those kinds of minds" that make you all feel compelled to see how things work? My poor mother never owned an alarm clock, toaster, portable radio, etc., that her son did not take apart - or at least try to unless she caught him first. It started on his 3rd Christmas when "Santa" made the mistake of leaving a little metal toolbox filled with really hard-cast plastic tools (that actually worked!) under the tree. At 63 yrs old, he still has that 3 year olds' curiosity and interest in all things mechanical and then some. And I won't even go into the story of his rigorous testing of a booster-type seat, received at a baby shower for his infant son, that attached to a table top; the same son who, once he could talk, gave him the nickname "Safety Dad," much to my delight!!!

[COLOR=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.85098)]1. Normal people believe if it ain't broke.......don't fix it.
    Engineers believe that if it ain't broke, it doesn't have enough features yet.

2. To the optimist, the glass is half-full.
    To the pessimist, the glass is half empty.
    To the engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

[/COLOR]And yes, I know A LOT of "engineering" jokes - I wickedly enjoy sending them to my baby brother as sort of a continuing "Neener-Neener!" left over from our childhood...
    Last edited by LateLifeCrisis; 02-22-2017 at 10:02 AM.
    He's on his RT She's on her F3

And the Keys to a Happy Marriage: Separate
    Bathrooms, Individual Remote TV Clickers, and
    His and Her Spyders.

"If there are no dogs in heaven, then when I die,
    I want to go where they went." ~ ~ Will Rogers

"Never in the field of human conflict was so much owed by so many to so few."
    ~ ~ Winston Churchill in his tribute to the RAF.

"I'd like to know why well-educated idiots keep apologizing for lazy and complaining
    people who think the world owes them a living." ~ ~ John Wayne

GOS 3799

Very Active Member Roadster Renovations's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

The point I am trying to make is that our mindset and BRP's is based upon being knowledgeable about the Spyder. That skews the result based upon that. A fresh non-spyder eye needs to look at the marketing on the Spyder. That way, it will target those that are not "in the know". We B&G about how BRP could do this or that better. Above all, as Spyder owners we should want the company healthy, strong, and innovative into the future.
    Anything else is like sawing off the limb you are sitting on.

Spyder Garage

Hi LateLifeCrisis,

Re: What is it about "you people" with "those kinds of minds" that make you all feel compelled to see how things work?

My brother is less than a year younger than me. As kids we usually got the same toys. He played with his & I took mine apart.

There are times when I truly think I was destined to become a Mech. Engr. before I got out of diapers.

You cannot imagine the number of 'tools' that I have built for myself when necessary to get some job completed. It's been a lot of fun.

I'm currently building a couple of brackets to hold more lights on my Spyder; simply because I cannot find them to buy.

Jerry Baumchen
    'I'll never forget what's her name.'

'Things are more like they are now than they ever have been before.' Dwight Eisenhower

2008 GS SE-5