SpyderLovers Sponsor Spyder Wraps Pete's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default F3 Scratch protection for knee area- YOUR INPUT

ORDER THE FULL SIDE SOLID KIT HERE:

I thought it would be good to start a new thread since this is a hot topic.
    Ever since the F3 came out, owners have been requesting some sort of protector for the knee area on the sides of the bike.
    I am going to show you what could be 2 options for you if you like the concept.

PAINT PROTECTION FILM / COLORS: Now Available- see link above

The first group of phtos below is our full pre-cut templates for the knee and side area that would be produced in our clear, transparent paint protection film (sometimes known as clear bra).
    I have illustrated the panels in White vinyl here on the bike. So, what you see in White is the area the paint protection would cover.
    Keep in mind that once applied, paint protection film is invisible. Watch our installation video here.

You would get the panels pre-cut and ready to install with no trimming necessary.

Paint Protection Template.jpgPaint Protection Template 2.jpg

The next group of photos is a concept until we get some constructive but kind input from you, the owners of the F3. I understand that depending on what location you have your pegs set (forward or back) will determine how effective this kit would be. In the photos below the White vinyl represents a knee protection kit that would be produced in the same material as our SPINE TANK PROTECTOR (our dash kit material) The F3 text would be cut out of the kit and allow your paint color to show through the kit just like the F3 Spine tank protector. I included a photo showing a tape measure so you can see on the angle the protector covers up to about 7"H from the bottom of the panel. Looking for your input regarding design style, overall shape and surface area covered. (remember the actual kit will be much more subtle in appearance)
    F3 text Knee Panel 2.jpgF3 text Knee Panel 3.jpgF3 text Knee Panel.jpg
    Last edited by Spyder Wraps Pete; 02-21-2017 at 10:42 AM.
    Email: pete@wrapmyspyder.com
    Toll Free: 814-450-1923

See our latest Spyder projects here.

If you have a project idea for your Spyder please contact us and we will do our best to help.

Visit our Website here:www.wrapmyspyder.com

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Spyder Wraps Pete View Post
    Ever since the F3 came out, owners have been requesting some sort of protector for the knee area on the sides of the bike.

PAINT PROTECTION FILM:

The first group of phtos below is our full pre-cut templates for the knee and side area that would be produced in our clear, transparent paint protection film (sometimes known as clear bra).
    I have illustrated the panels in White vinyl here on the bike. So, what you see in White is the area the paint protection would cover.
    Keep in mind that once applied, paint protection film is invisible. your kind feed back based on the coverage?

You would get the panels pre-cut and ready to install with no trimming necessary.

The next group of photos is a concept until we get some constructive but kind input from you, the owners of the F3. I understand that depending on what location you have your pegs set (forward or back) will determine how effective this kit would be. In the photos below the White vinyl represents a knee protection kit that would be produced in the same material as our SPINE TANK PROTECTOR (our dash kit material) The F3 text would be cut out of the kit and allow your paint color to show through the kit just like the F3 Spine tank protector. I included a photo showing a tape measure so you can see on the angle the protector covers up to about 7"H from the bottom of the panel. Looking for your input regarding design style, overall shape and surface area covered. (remember the actual kit will be much more subtle in appearance)
    I wish I could provide input but since I'm a newbie with the Spyder I'll have to wait before providing any help.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Do you have a clear piece for the F3 tank?
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Currently owners have been using these products to protect the tank area:

Tank protector available in paint protection film: https://wrapmyspyder.com/shop/spyder...nk-protectors/

Or our Optional Spine tank protector: https://wrapmyspyder.com/shop/dash/f...ank-protector/

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderAnn01 View Post
    Do you have a clear piece for the F3 tank?

If you have a project idea for your Spyder please contact us and we will do our best to help.

Spyder Garage

Default Different Colors?

Would these be available in say, neon green or silver?

Spyder Garage

They don't work for me, Pete. As per my comments to Road-Kill, we are all different sizes. My knees contact the tank above these prototype protectors, (where the top of the tank forms a lip to the side of the tank)so no part of my legs or thighs would contact them. However, you have to cater for the majority to ensure you stay in business, so this is quite understandable.

I currently have clear 3M 8"x8" protectors running from the top of the tank, over the lip and down the side. It works a treat for me, especially with your tank protector shielding the top from unwanted impacts.

This is not intended to get you scratching your head for a solution, but just to provide another perspective.

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

I would def want the Clear Protection for the lower panels. I don't normally contact them, only when I stop at a light and stand up to stretch my legs....

'15 F3-S Pure Magnesium Metallic - Mad Max Edition
    '15 Mclaren 650S Coupe - Aurora Blue

"You Were Really Flyin', When I Passed You Back There!"

Chuck
    2015 F3-S , Pure Magnesium Metallic/Steel Black Metallic

Spyder Garage

Default Tank protection.

Both designs would be perfect for me. Having the material enhance grip would an asset. The carbon fiber would look good and would be my preference. Black with the can am red F3 logo

Spyder Garage

I for one would like such a thing. And I also would like a tank protector that is clear. Count me in!
    Now
    2021 Sea2Sky
    Former
    2015 F3-S

Spyder Garage

Default Side protection

Can't wait!!! Definitely a must for my 2016 F3 Limited.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Steamer View Post
    Both designs would be perfect for me. Having the material enhance grip would an asset. The carbon fiber would look good and would be my preference. Black with the can am red F3 logo

Spyder Garage

Thank you for your input and feedback, it sounds like the paint protection panels are of more interest than the short panel with the F3 cutout. Maybe we will offer the cutout in vinyl colors first and see what kind of interest we get, then, in the future move to the dash kit material with the F3 cutout.

We will get the paint protection panels set up on the site for purchase.

We are currently working on a larger coverage panel of paint protection film for the tank area for those who want something that is invisible.
    It's a bit tricky to create this so the average person will be able to successfully apply it. We will keep you updated on the progress.

Thank you
    Pete

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I don't really have a problem on the sides of the Spyder but on the tank itself. I have the SpyderWraps tank protector but does not cover as much as I need it to cover which I have marked on the image below.

F3 tank sides.jpg

Spyder Garage

Yes, we are working on a larger coverage solution for the tank area as well but we wanted to get the knee area scratch protection out and available as soon as we could because many owners are damaging that area with their knees. We will keep you posted when the new larger tank protection product is available. Here is a link to the new knee protection kit: https://wrapmyspyder.com/shop/popula...nee-panel-kit/

Quote Originally Posted by Tazzel View Post
    I don't really have a problem on the sides of the Spyder but on the tank itself. I have the SpyderWraps tank protector but does not cover as much as I need it to cover which I have marked on the image below.

F3 tank sides.jpg

Spyder Garage

Yes, we are working on a larger coverage solution for the tank area as well but we wanted to get the knee area scratch protection out and available as soon as we could because many owners are damaging that area with their knees. We will keep you posted when the new larger tank protection product is available. Here is a link to the new knee protection kit: https://wrapmyspyder.com/shop/popula...nee-panel-kit/
    Let the fun begin.. I just ordered what I think is a large order from Pete, oh and by the way I must say that he sounds like a very knowledgeable and professional guy, very pleasant to speak with him today. I had to call simply because I kind of wanted some off the chain graphics so to speak of along with the protector adhesive as well--- well several hundred dollars later we where able to come to life what I was thinking and so it ordered and will be here in a few days. I know its a time consuming job to apply it with some patients but I am sure I will be fine.. The spYder is going to look very different when its all said and done..
    Last edited by xpeschon; 02-21-2017 at 02:56 PM.

Spyder Garage

ORDER THE FULL SIDE SOLID KIT HERE:

PAINT PROTECTION FILM / COLORS: Now Available- see link above

Keep in mind that once applied, paint protection film is invisible. Watch our installation video here.

Pete, Both designs look great. I purchased a clear product from a company in San Antonio and then had to make my own template to do the same. Wish you had this product last year. I too agree with the other riders regarding tank protection. I did not cover the tank area like I did the sides as trying to form that was a royal pain and finally gave up. Currently I just keep SEVERAL coats of wax on the tank. So count my vote for knee and tank protection.