Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default towing 3 wheels down

I'm getting ready to start me retirement in my RV and I would like to tow my 2012 RT behind it.
    Is it possible to tow the RT 3 wheels down?
    I can make a bracket, I just want to make sure I will not hurt the engine and transmission

Spyder Garage

The transmission needs engine oil pressure for proper lubrication. Get a trailer.

Spyder Garage

Default Can Am Towing System

I don't know if anyone has tried this system. Take a look at http://www.motorcycle-rack.com/CanAm_Tow_System.html

It might be what you are looking for. If anyone out there has tried this, please let me know.
    HughT - US Army Major (Retired)

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default WELLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL

After advising DO NOT DO THIS ....... could you - yes if you removed the DRIVE BELT ..... But I can not think of any type of towing set-up you ( or someone ) could devise that wouldn't do something BAD to the front suspension ..... other than a front wheel DOLLY set-up !!!!! ..... But that would have to be custom made ..... so cost wise getting a small aluminum trailer is easier and cheaper in the long run............ Mike

Spyder Garage

Default No....

You can tow them to safety but if you are going to travel I would trailer it. I did see a lift (like motorized wheel chairs) on the back of a motorhome with a spyder on it but not sure how well that would work. I know there has been mention of towing but removing the belt so there is not drive to the engine but not an easy task to do each time you want to ryde.... Toy hauler or trailer would be best....
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Chupaca View Post
    You can tow them to safety but if you are going to travel I would trailer it. I did see a lift (like motorized wheel chairs) on the back of a motorhome with a spyder on it but not sure how well that would work.
    I was thinking of this setup and I even saw one once. The problem I have is that I have a 10,000 pound hitch that would support 1,000 pound tongue weight. The bike weighs almost 1,100 pounds. which is not a problem. The problem I see is that the bike is hanging very aft of the ball and bouncing up and down.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by HughT View Post
    I don't know if anyone has tried this system. Take a look at http://www.motorcycle-rack.com/CanAm_Tow_System.html

It might be what you are looking for. If anyone out there has tried this, please let me know.
    I actually like that.
    Would I have to remove the windscreen ever time I tow it?
    What about the front wheels, would I have to lock the handlebars?

Spyder Garage

The front tires on the scale are 650 pounds and the rear tire was 450 pounds.

Spyder Garage

Default If I go with a trailer -

I know that has been a lot of discussion about trailer size, what size is recommended for a RT?
    HughT - US Army Major (Retired)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Consider a 6x10 trailer as about the minimum.
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Looks like the nose would be very close to the ground. I would get a nice trailer and be done with it.
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I know that has been a lot of discussion about trailer size, what size is recommended for a RT?
    Site Sponsor:http://the-ultimate-trailers.com/mot...-trailers.html
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Spyder Garage

I was building a nice aluminum trailer with a tilt bed. Since I don't weld aluminum I was having the shop teacher weld it. I don't think it will be finished in the next two weeks. I will be back next January and finish it then

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Highwayman2013 View Post
    Looks like the nose would be very close to the ground. I would get a nice trailer and be done with it.
    I'm going to make it with the back wheel a little lower. My front wheels are 2-3" higher than a normal RT since I changed the springs

Spyder Garage

The one that I'm building has a bed 6' X 10" which tilts, and then 3' upfront for an enclosed area (3X6').
    Very similar to the Aluma trailer

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default 2 TO 3 INCHES

Quote Originally Posted by ahh-cool View Post
    I'm going to make it with the back wheel a little lower. My front wheels are 2-3" higher than a normal RT since I changed the springs
    Really ..... so your ground clearance is now 6 1/2 to 7 1/2 inches ........ The people who did your front alignment must have been talented .............. jmho ...... Mike
    Last edited by BLUEKNIGHT911; 02-18-2017 at 10:29 PM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    Really ..... so you ground clearance is now 6 1/2 to 7 1/2 inches ........ The people who did your front alignment must have been talented .............. jmho ...... Mike

Setting the toe in with the laser will be the same but I'll bet there is more than a little negative camber. Negative camber will stick good in the corners but raise hell on tire wear. That much change in ride height can't be good for suspension parts. just another opinion.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default towing 3 wheels down

Min. trailer size is 6ft. X 10fyt. I know because I have a 5 X 10 trailer and it is 3" too narrow. Good thing I have a neighbor who has one the right size that I am borrowing next week to get my new RT Limited. Always a two wheel rider until this year.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    Really ..... so you ground clearance is now 6 1/2 to 7 1/2 inches ........ The people who did your front alignment must have been talented .............. jmho ...... Mike
    I don't get it??
    They laser aligned it. I also raised the rear.
    It handles so much better. In a roundabout I can turn the wheel with one hand. I used to fight to do that

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by fjray View Post
    Setting the toe in with the laser will be the same but I'll bet there is more than a little negative camber. Negative camber will stick good in the corners but raise hell on tire wear. That much change in ride height can't be good for suspension parts. just another opinion.
    It's a much smoother ride.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by fjray View Post
    The transmission needs engine oil pressure for proper lubrication. Get a trailer.
    yep that's what u need to do

Spyder Garage

Tow your 2012RT spyder on a trailer, behind your RV, tie your spyder down with a strap.

Run the strap underneath the spyder ( so it wont scratch your tupperware) and on top of the center of the rear tire, secure it on the front of the trailer.

Send a pm to Mike,( Blueknight911) he can help you. Deanna
    Last edited by Deanna777; 02-19-2017 at 03:09 PM.

Current Spyder - 2023 F3 LTD Special Mineral Blue

Red LED NANO Saddlebag Marker Lights with Full Illumination
    Sequential Fender LED'S (Amber/Red) with Safety Reflector
    Dual Power Plate (12 V & USB ports)
    Gremlin Bell
    Rear Trunk Organizer (4 holders, 2 Elastic Holders)
    Lamonster "Top Cuff" with adjustable drink Holder
    SpyderPops Missing Guard Belt
    Console Accent Trim (Carbon Fiber Domed Black)
    Ultimate F3 Floorboards
    Front Fairing Service Access Door Covers (Carbon Fiber Doomed Black)
    Sway Bar with Links
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Half Cover
    A-Arm Daytime Dual Color LED Running Lights with Blinker Module
    Hi-Viz DRL and Sequential Mirrors lights

Former Spyder - 2014 RTS SE6 Cognac SOLD
    2023 F3 LTD Special Series , N/A N/A Mineral Blue

Spyder Garage

Default Trailer rails

Whatever you do, DON'T buy a trailer with siderails. Unless you have a lot of clearance, it's miserable to load the bike. My trailer was four inches wider than my F-3 and it would take a half hour or more to load because you have NO room to turn the front wheels. I just removed everything above the load bed with a bandsaw except for the front bulkhead and the rear eight inches which support the tailgate and the lights. Things are much easier now. You also need at least a five to six foot ramp in order to keep from high centering as you load the bike.

Spyder Garage

Default This one works great for an RT

[QUOTE=HughT;1227041]I know that has been a lot of discussion about trailer size, what size is recommended for a RT?QUOTE]

From an earlier post of mine:

Get the dimensions and literature: http://www.droptailtrailers.com/

I use it for EITHER the Spyder or the Gold Wing. I must use the center position for the Gold Wing as it will not fit on the left or right side of the trailer due to length. We trailer our 2014 RT Limited with no problem with this trailer and it "noses" up in the V part of the trailer against our 20" stone guard (which is optional). The 4 pictures added at bottom were just a couple months ago....note that I do NOT transport with the cover on it. I only cover the Spyder when leaving it out overnight! Also, all the tie down straps were removed at this time as it was parked.

We use a Droptail trailer. I really like that it folds and stores upright in the garage and NO ramps needed - built in. Works well for the Spyder with the low clearance. The back of the trailer hydraulically lowers and the built in rear gate folds down to extend the ramp portion. Easy to use. Our Spyder RT just fits and the nose of the Spyder fits in the V part of the front of the trailer. Not a lot of spare room, but works well. The Spyder fills the whole trailer even though this is a "two up" motorcycle trailer. A bonus for us is that our Gold Wing can be hauled on this trailer (with the use of the wheel chock that is included with the trailer) as well - however, only one bike at a time (unless you have two - 2 wheel motorcycles that are "short" enough). There is a standard 8 inch stone guard and an optional 20" stone guard. I did add the 20" stone guard on our trailer. Also, we purchased an optional spare tire which bolts to the bottom of the trailer. It has a steel frame with an aluminum deck with lots of tie down points!

Here's some info on the model number and a few pics: Drop - Tail "Two - Up" Cruiser / Sport Bike Trailer, model number: 03-DCT2200-02

Good luck on your choice of trailers - there are a lot of good trailers out there that work!!

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails
    Happy and safe rydin'
    2014 Spyder RT Limited - January 2014, Cognac/Black Seat, #958, born on 1-8-14
    2014 RT Limited , Cognac

Spyder Garage

What brand trailer does everyone use?? Looking at Carry on 6x12 wood deck.