Thread: radiator

Spyder Garage

Default radiator

i have always taken my bike to a dealer change the antifreeze ( i know i should be doin it myself) and am not sure how to get to the drain...can some one tell me where it is????
    gary (ô¿ô)

2010 can am spyder RTS-SE5 limited... #0058
    timeless black
    lighting by .......Big Dog Productions
    pin striping by..Letterfly
    exhaust by.......Spyder1attitude
    strobe brake lights by...Custom Dynamics
    K & N air filter

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

better off to remove the lower hose to drain the system. I've read where some of the drain plugs have been coming apart when loosening. I think they are threaded into an insert. however, the drain plug is on the very bottom of the radiator to the right side of it.

Very Active Member Snowbelt Spyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by rock View Post
    i have always taken my bike to a dealer change the antifreeze ( i know i should be doin it myself) and am not sure how to get to the drain...can some one tell me where it is????
    Well, first things first - you don't want to use the drain on the bottom of the radiator. Some 2010 - 2012 radiators had a seemingly weak weld at that fitting, and attempts to remove the drain plug resulted in cracking the fitting. Just start removing right side body work and panels until you can access the lower radiator hose. Drain the system by removing the hose.

Additionally, removing the facia around the headlights allows you to access the cap on the tank a lot easier without scraping the skin off your knuckles.

Fire up the Search function and you'll find plenty of posts in here regarding coolant draining and flushing with good advice. Have fun with it.

Doug

2023 RT Limited, RT 622, BUDS/BUD2 Megatech/Megatronic

”Freedom is not a loophole”

F4 Customs SWCV, Ultimate, Lidlox, Adjustable Side Vents, Leather Like Grips, SS Grills, Centramatic, Garmin XT2, BajaRon Original Sway Bar w/ Lamonster links, P238

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by rock View Post
    Yours does have a drain plug, but due to issues with them sealing after removal I would recommend that you do not use it. Instead remove the lower right hand radiator clamp and pulling the hose end free to drain. The clamps BRP uses are one time clamps and have to be cut off (I use side a cutter on the clamp ear) so you will need to replace it. You could use a large worm gear clamp, but the the single use clamps that come on the Spyder are better for sealing so I use them. I use the same side cutter to crimp the ear, but not so hard that I cut through. You can buy the special crimp tool at most tool houses, or on line if you are worried about cutting the clamp.

BRP did away with the drain plug on my 14 and the procedure is now the removal of the hose end. I think they did this due to all the issues with the drain plug

Good Luck!
    2021 Sea To Sky, 2020 RTL

Isn't it weird that in AMERICA our flag and our culture offend so many people......
    but our benefits don't?
    2015 F3S , White & Blue