Thread: F3 TL Steering

Spyder Garage

Default F3 TL Steering

I had a 2014 RT-S that I sold because the steering was too heavy for me since I have problems with my shoulders. I added a Bajaron anti sway bar and that helped but not enough for me to be comfortable. I am thinking about getting an F3 Limited but I'd like to know what you all think about the steering. I have heard that there isn't any change from the RT except that the seating position is significantly different. Is it different enough to make the steering easier?

Spyder Garage

I went from the ST to the F3 Limited. I realize there will be differences between the ST and the RT but the F3 rides like it is on rails compared to the ST.

Spyder Garage

Jalpert, did you add a sway bar? Was there much difference??

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I would test drive an F3 and see but you may not notice until you get into some real twisties. Upgraded swaybar and shocks will always help.

Spyder Garage

I was told by Len at Pit Bull Powersports last week that the 2017 F3-t's have a new steering. check that out T.P.

Spyder Garage

Default Curious. ....

Heavy steering can come from several places. Supposing the DPS was working properly your next most common reason is tire pressure and tire. I run 17 lbs but have an RS. The RT should run higher 20 lbs give or take. The higher the lighter the steering...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Very Active Member Roadster Renovations's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Also, if the steering axis indicator is off, it can be a real fight to steer. And, unless it has had a laser alignment, it is probably off. The non laser alignment at the dealer is a joke.

Spyder Garage

I went from an RT to an F3. The F3 allows for the handle bars to be adjusted to a more comfortable position and that makes a difference in the steering.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jalpert View Post
    I went from the ST to the F3 Limited. I realize there will be differences between the ST and the RT but the F3 rides like it is on rails compared to the ST.
    Yes! I was able to test ride a 2015 F3-S (which I purchased today) and it is much better than my RT. No pain running thru my shoulders and upper back. Yay!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Humphreys View Post
    Also, if the steering axis indicator is off, it can be a real fight to steer. And, unless it has had a laser alignment, it is probably off. The non laser alignment at the dealer is a joke.
    I did get the laser alignment for my RT. I didn't really notice much difference after but the guy that did it said it wasn't out by very much. The biggest improvement was adding the BajaRon anti sway bar.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Tazzel View Post
    I would test drive an F3 and see but you may not notice until you get into some real twisties. Upgraded swaybar and shocks will always help.
    I just bought a 2015 F3-S. I will get the sway bar. I don't know what shocks come on the 2015. What do you recommend?

Spyder Garage

The 'short reach' pull back bars on the F3 make the steering stupid-easy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Spyder #1 - 2008 GS SM5 Premier Edition #1977. RIP after 80,000 miles.
    Spyder #2 - 2012 RT SM5. Traded in after 24,000 miles.
    Spyder #3 - 2015 F3 SM6. Put 13,000 miles on and sold it.
    Spyder #4 - 2017 F3 SM6. Too good of a deal to pass up!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
    The 'short reach' pull back bars on the F3 make the steering stupid-easy.

Thanks for the info! I gather these bars are closer to you than the stock bars? Is there any way to determine which set of bars is best for a specific rider? I'm 5'6" and short waisted so it seems like the short reach bars would be a good fit for me but I don't really want to buy them and get them installed and find out they're not.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NewHornist View Post
    Thanks for the info! I gather these bars are closer to you than the stock bars? Is there any way to determine which set of bars is best for a specific rider? I'm 5'6" and short waisted so it seems like the short reach bars would be a good fit for me but I don't really want to buy them and get them installed and find out they're not.

Get
    on your bike and close your eyes. Now place your hands where you want the grips to be and would be comfortable. Hold still and open your eyes. If they are 2 or 2.5 inches closer to you than the stock grips and up or down just a bit, the short reach bars will get you there.

If you reach out while your eyes are closed and the current grips fall where you do, you are already there. Your stock grips can be adjusted up or down a bit.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NewHornist View Post
    They're not very expensive.... like $130 and install in about 30 minutes. You can also angle them down quite a bit to bring them even closer to you. Just make sure they don't hit the tank when fully turned. I love mine.

Spyder #1 - 2008 GS SM5 Premier Edition #1977. RIP after 80,000 miles.
    Spyder #2 - 2012 RT SM5. Traded in after 24,000 miles.
    Spyder #3 - 2015 F3 SM6. Put 13,000 miles on and sold it.
    Spyder #4 - 2017 F3 SM6. Too good of a deal to pass up!