Spyder Garage

Default Belt alignment HELP.

I have a 2016 RT Ltd with about 3000m. I intended to fit a Smoothspyder tensioner but on removing the side panels I found that although the belt was lined up on the rear pulley ie. a couple of mm from the flange, the belt was climbing up on the outer edge of the front pulley. I set about adjusting the alignment, with the bike running and in gear, but to get the belt to run on the flat of the front pulley the belt was overhanging the outside of the rear pulley. It looks like I need to pack out the front pulley, or is there something I am doing wrong. Please jump in.
    Thanks
    Alan.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

How do u have the bike jacked while running..letting the bike wheel hang will change alignment. Ans tension

Sent from my LGLS675 using Tapatalk

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by amelectricdavid View Post
    How do u have the bike jacked while running..letting the bike wheel hang will change alignment. Ans tension

Sent from my LGLS675 using Tapatalk
    Tension yes but alignment no. The alignment doesn't change with suspension travel.

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Flier Tuck View Post
    I have a 2016 RT Ltd with about 3000m. I intended to fit a Smoothspyder tensioner but on removing the side panels I found that although the belt was lined up on the rear pulley ie. a couple of mm from the flange, the belt was climbing up on the outer edge of the front pulley. I set about adjusting the alignment, with the bike running and in gear, but to get the belt to run on the flat of the front pulley the belt was overhanging the outside of the rear pulley. It looks like I need to pack out the front pulley, or is there something I am doing wrong. Please jump in.
    Thanks
    Alan.
    I think it's time to take it to the dealer. Sounds like the motor/trans unit is not mounted correctly. If, as you say, the belt is wanting to climb up onto the flange that indicates the front pulley axis is not perpendicular to the belt line.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Default Belt help.

Thanks for the replies. As I thought it seems more than a simple belt alignment problem. My local dealer where I got the bike has only been Spyder dealer for 7 months. I was his first customer. Although one of his techs. has been on some courses he does not have any depth of knowledge.
    Thanks
    Alan.

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Flier Tuck View Post
    Thanks for the replies. As I thought it seems more than a simple belt alignment problem. My local dealer where I got the bike has only been Spyder dealer for 7 months. I was his first customer. Although one of his techs. has been on some courses he does not have any depth of knowledge.
    Thanks
    Alan.
    If the motor is mounted wrong that is a factory goof, not dealer. Hopefully he will be able to figure it all out.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

As stated, this is a motor mounting issue. I have seen it a few times on other Spyders in my area.

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black
    Bought June 2013 with 450 miles. 27K on 8-1-2017.
    Farkles - DIY Trunk Break Light, HMT Break Light, DIY Mirror Turn Signal Lights, DIY Bluetooth Dongle, DIY iPod Setup, DIY Alarm System Install, Show Chrome front fender / rear saddle bag lights, 4th break light around the trunk, Vented Windshield, Baja Ron Sway Bar, DIY GPS setup, Smooth Spyder, BRP Chrome Mirrors, Adjustable deflectors, Triaxis handlebars, NVB Pegs, Bad Boy Airhorn... More to come
    2011 RT-S SM5 , Baja Ron Black