Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Hi Peter!
    Thanks for the essay!
    But I hope you're aware of the fact that NO manufacturer can ever cover all of the possibilities. They shoot for the largest percentile that they can cover, and let the chips fall...
    You guys have lots of heat, and cruddy roads: that's not the case in an awful lot of the rest of the World.
    I'm pretty sure that the fella who re-ignited this blaze, lives in Arizona... The heat that he encounters might be similar to yours... but we have never heard of a tire melting off of a rim in the U.S.A.
    (You could always stick with 2012 or older Spyders, and keep the 14" front wheels! (65, vs. 55 profile...)
    Last edited by Bob Denman; 02-17-2017 at 07:58 AM.
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Part of that may be true Bob, (the essay bit especially - I can do them real easy!) but the heat issue is only a small part of the overall problem & as mentioned, it's generally readily resolved by choosing to run a better quality & slightly larger sized tire. The more serious things that most other tire manufacturers ALREADY avoid are those like the misaligned belt laying, overlapping belt start & end points, the inconsistent tread or ply thicknesses, & a whole lot more of the very basics of 'good' tire construction lacking in the Kendas that are far more worrying - they are the things that contribute daily to poor balancing, uneven wear, lack of direction control & stability, lumps in the tread, bulges in the sidewalls & all those other issues that we see reported here & may well contribute to those potentially serious safety, ride, & handling issues that seem to plague at least some of our Spyders! And while it seems that a far higher percentage of Kenda tires leave their factory with these FAULTS than leave just about any other tire manufacturer's factory, BRP continues to do nothing about that - surely that means they are failing in their duty of care to buyers of their product to do something about it? And yet they even go so far as to make it difficult for US to do something about improving the safety & handling of our Syders ourselves!! So far, I believe they've been extremely lucky not to have a major failure occur that has been directly attributed to the poor quality tires, but the odds are not in their favour & it's becoming more & more likely that someone is going to end up seriously injured with every mile that's travelled on some these potentially dangerous tires!

What's it going to take to get BRP to do something about this problem; heck, even just recognising that some car tires CAN be safer & better than the Kenda crap & endorsing them for after market fitting would be a start?!? Maybe it'll take so many fires that they just CAN'T ignore the ongoing complaints & concerns?? Oh, sorry, that was the last issue that they tried to ignore which eventually cost them - I meant 'so many faulty tires'.....
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 02-17-2017 at 08:34 AM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Hi Peter!
    Thanks for the essay!
    But I hope you're aware of the fact that NO manufacturer can ever cover all of the possibilities. They shoot for the largest percentile that they can cover, and let the chips fall...
    You guys have lots of heat, and cruddy roads: that's not the case in an awful lot of the rest of the World.
    I'm pretty sure that the fella who re-ignited this blaze, lives in Arizona... The heat that he encounters might be similar to yours... but we have never heard of a tire melting off of a rim in the U.S.A.
    (You could always stick with 2012 or older Spyders, and keep the 14" front wheels! (65, vs. 55 profile...)
    Yes I do live in AZ.No I did not start ablaze. You and Ann started that with your comments. I was setting out toget the latests and best tire that would fit my ride. .Ann did try to help but her tire of suggestion is no longer made.This is an open forum to talk about what ever one wants. If
    You are bored about a subject I suggest you skipi over it, instead of feeling you need to reply to every post.
    I think if you look you post once to 3 times on every post on the forum.

Spyder Garage

Default Not an essay

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Aawen View Post
    Part of that may be true Bob, (the essay bit especially - I can do them real easy!) but the heat issue is only a small part of the overall problem & as mentioned, it's generally readily resolved by choosing to run a better quality & slightly larger sized tire. The more serious things that most other tire manufacturers ALREADY avoid are those like the misaligned belt laying, overlapping belt start & end points, the inconsistent tread or ply thicknesses, & a whole lot more of the very basics of 'good' tire construction lacking in the Kendas that are far more worrying - they are the things that contribute daily to poor balancing, uneven wear, lack of direction control & stability, lumps in the tread, bulges in the sidewalls & all those other issues that we see reported here & may well contribute to those potentially serious safety, ride, & handling issues that seem to plague at least some of our Spyders! And while it seems that a far higher percentage of Kenda tires leave their factory with these FAULTS than leave just about any other tire manufacturer's factory, BRP continues to do nothing about that - surely that means they are failing in their duty of care to buyers of their product to do something about it? And yet they even go so far as to make it difficult for US to do something about improving the safety & handling of our Syders ourselves!! So far, I believe they've been extremely lucky not to have a major failure occur that has been directly attributed to the poor quality tires, but the odds are not in their favour & it's becoming more & more likely that someone is going to end up seriously injured with every mile that's travelled on some these potentially dangerous tires!

What's it going to take to get BRP to do something about this problem; heck, even just recognising that some car tires CAN be safer & better than the Kenda crap & endorsing them for after market fitting would be a start?!? Maybe it'll take so many fires that they just CAN'T ignore the ongoing complaints & concerns?? Oh, sorry, that was the last issue that they tried to ignore which eventually cost them - I meant 'so many faulty tires'.....
    Peter I thank you for your replies they informed me a lot about tires.I was trying to find a safe tire. That fit or uncommonsize.I do not understand why some people make their comments.so I just wanted to thank you for your positive replying.

Spyder Garage

There are alot of thread about tires around, some very informational and some that go off the rails. I thought I saw it somewhere once, maybe it was even PMK that started it, but what be helpful is a STICKY post with a table for tires listing the brand and sizes that will fit the Spyder both front and back. That way one only has to go to the chart pick a brand they like based either on comments in that table or there own research and then have listed what sizes would fit whether OEM, undersized or oversized. Something like that may help avoid situations like here where someone tries to do what they think is good and finds out it doesn't fit. This could save others alot of time and aggravation? Something like:

Year Brand Model Position Sizes That Fit Comments
    '13 up BrandX ModelY Front xxx-xx-xx Soft compound, wears fast, great wet handling
    xxx-xx-xx Oversize width but fits, great handling
    BrandY ModelZ Rear xxx-xx-xx Only OEM size fits, lasts forever but not best ride

Or separate tables for front and rear.

I know it would be alot of work but if everyone maybe contributed based on what they tried it would be that hard to summarize in a sticky table. Maybe a new thread with JUST THE FACTS to collect the info without a bunch of un needed commentary.

Just a thought.
    NEW/CURRENT (Wife's Bike, I ride Goldwing/Africa Twin)
    2023 RT Limited Petrol Blue Metallic
    Working on the upgrades... so far... Show Chrome Isolator Fuse Block, Tackform Adventure Wireless charger phone mount

OLD/TRADED
    2015 RT Limited Intense Red Pearl
    Farkles: Ultimate Tallboy seat, FOBO, JT Dash Mount, Lamonster Spyder Cuff, Kradellock, TricLED lighting - fenders, A-Arms, saddlebags, run/brake, Custom Dynamics high brake light, brake modulator, Drink2Go passenger, MUTH turn signal mirrors, Bajaron sway bar, Kuryakyn ISO grips, SpyderTV front grilles & rear trunk organizer, homemade trunk light
    Pending: Elka shocks, Yokohama S Drive rear tire, EVO 595 front tires, Centramatic balancers, Neutrino black box

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by kbwitt View Post
    Yes I do live in AZ.No I did not start ablaze. You and Ann started that with your comments. I was setting out toget the latests and best tire that would fit my ride. .Ann did try to help but her tire of suggestion is no longer made.This is an open forum to talk about what ever one wants. If
    You are bored about a subject I suggest you skipi over it, instead of feeling you need to reply to every post.
    I think if you look you post once to 3 times on every post on the forum.
    I think that if you re-read my posts: you'll find that I never said that the Kenda was the best tire...
    There are lots of others out there that are much better!
    But not a whole lot of alternate sizes to choose from.

You just picked the wrong size; that's all...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black