Spyder Garage

Default 2013 rs recall questions

I am 67 years, been riding 48 of those years, nerve damage in my spine is worsening sooo... ya'll know the story. I'm not certain which Spyder I'll buy yet but I will buy one. The recall on the 13's heat and side panels, if the PO never did the recall I wonder if it is still available to the 2nd or 3rd owners? Also do the 14 panels fit on 09's and up?

Also, I move one bike each fall from NC to AZ and return to NC in April, I have a beautiful Razor ground level loading trailer that is too small for the Spyder. I wonder if a regular utility trailer with a 4' drop down ramp cause either nose hitting before wheels got on ramp and if it will bottom out in center with front wheels on deck and rear wheel on ramp?

I find quite a few 08's and 09's with under 10k miles and $8500ish, is there any difference in dependability between the older and newer models and any difference in oil consumption between older and newer years

I been researching on this forum and google for several weeks and these are some questions I just can't find detail on, Thanks.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by hungryeye View Post
    I am 67 years, been riding 48 of those years, nerve damage in my spine is worsening sooo... ya'll know the story. I'm not certain which Spyder I'll buy yet but I will buy one. The recall on the 13's heat and side panels, if the PO never did the recall I wonder if it is still available to the 2nd or 3rd owners? Also do the 14 panels fit on 09's and up?

Also, I move one bike each fall from NC to AZ and return to NC in April, I have a beautiful Razor ground level loading trailer that is too small for the Spyder. I wonder if a regular utility trailer with a 4' drop down ramp cause either nose hitting before wheels got on ramp and if it will bottom out in center with front wheels on deck and rear wheel on ramp?

I find quite a few 08's and 09's with under 10k miles and $8500ish, is there any difference in dependability between the older and newer models and any difference in oil consumption between older and newer years

I been researching on this forum and google for several weeks and these are some questions I just can't find detail on, Thanks.
    The recall was for the 2013 RT's (all models) only. As far as I know the "scoops" will fit 2012 & up RT's. No new Tupperware, but acoustic panels were removed to increase air flow and the evap cannister & fuel lines were rerouted. If you are considering an RT you can look up the VIN number on the BRP site, and it will tell you if the recall work was done. I do not believe that the "scoops" will fit as RS. As to your other questions, others will have to weigh in. Here's the link to BRP
    http://can-am.brp.com/spyder/owners/...in-lookup.html
    "A Wise Man Once Said, I Should Ask My Wife."
    2017 Champagne Metallic RT-S SE-6 Rivco Dual Flag Holders; Slingmods Highway Pegs; (Hate Them) Airhawk Seat Cushion; Show Chrome Black Touring Rack w/ Risers & Touring Windshield; RAM X Mount For TXTAG; TackForm Phone Mount; Lidlox; Magic Mirror Mounts; Guardian Bells; WOLO "Bad Boy" Air Horn; Dual USB Power Outlet With Voltmeter; 12V outlet for misc. stuff; Spyderpops Full View Mirror Turn Signals; Large Brake Pedal; Kott Grilles; Large Mud Flap; BajaRon 3 Piece Sway Bar, Last But Not Least, Kuhmo Rear Rire, Vedrestien Fronts.
    2017 RT-S , Brake pedal extender is twice the size of the stock pedal. Champagne Metallic

Spyder Garage

General consensus on the twins is 2012 is the most reliable, everyone who has gone with the triple seems to love them. I started with a 2008 GS, with the manual transmission and it was trouble free for the 3 years I had it, then found a great deal on a 2012 RT with the semi auto. So far it's been great. The better fuel economy of the triple would be a big thing for me, but I'm not willing to cough up the extra cash. As far as the trailer goes it's easy enough to adapt the ramps to work with the Spyder.
    Bob S

Spyder Garage

Default Here you go....

the panels for the RS's are available and you can get them if you like. They were not a recall but some dealers were doing the change for customers . I have a 2012 and never changed the panels and don't have any issues. As for your back I find the RS the best for the loss of full motion on the right foot so to never damage in the back. You should really give them all a try and see which one suits you best for they are all different as far as seating. There are a lot of mods you can do to help as well.....
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

I thought the heat issue was with the RS, Thanks for the replies

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

A fellow here in oz got the airflow panels - the same as are standard on the 14 st - for his 13 rs. An easy panel swap and he was pleased with the results.

That said, having owned rs, st and now f3s, I second the suggestion that you test ride to see which one suits your body and your budget.

It is much easier to alter the f3 bars, foot peg/board position to suit you than to alter rs or st bars - been there, done that.

Have fun looking!

Spyder Garage

Default 2013 Recall ?

Hungryeye,

The main differences between the 08 & the 16's is the 13's forward are throttle by wire not cable, shock upgrades and more $$$'s. All are very reliable vehicles.

If you are looking @ RS/RSS in those years, the prices that you quote are pretty steep. You should be paying somewhere around $1000.00 less than the model year you're considering, at the most.

With the RS & ST's being discontinued models, they aren't going to hold their values well. They aren't old enough to be collector items and appreciating in value.

All the V twins use oil, around a quart between oil changes @ 4600 miles is about the norm. Seem to need to add a couple of ounces every 500 miles or so.

The 2014 triples seem to be non users of oil, longer maintenance intervals ~9000 miles between oil changes, never have to adjust valves and around 10 mpg more than the V twins; 40 versus 30 respectively.

Good luck with your search, perhaps one day I will make the move up to the triple, but for now I love my RS, have it well set up to tour and am getting ready to start my third year of riding with 38 K on the clock.

Keep us all posted and let us know what you purchase. Go to a dealer and test ride the RT's and F-3's before you make your purchase decision. They are completely different platforms.

Al in Kazoo
    All the great movements in the world began with a cup of coffee!

2018 F3-T

My mods: Can am Trailer hitch, USB and 12 volt power outlets, Gustason windshield, Bead rider seat cushion, battery harness for electric gear and battery tender, Time out trailer.
    2018 F3-T , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Thumbs up RS Recall

For reference, The 2013 ST has improved suspension geometry but is undersprung compared to other models. Easily remedied with aftermarket shocks and springs and a Laser alignment.
    The ST also had a heat issue that was fixed by dealers replacing 4 panels. BRP offered the replacement at no cost "Good Will". I am a 2nd owner and BRP replaced the panels for me with no issue.
    The twin engine is STRONG and the ride is great once you get it dialed in. My machine is set up for touring and I love it. IMO the price you quoted is high. Deals are to be had everywhere you look.

Spyder Garage

Thanks for the info, it is hard to find the details by just search, like, I thought all years were ride by wire. Now I think a 13 up ST S would suit me best. The foot boards, bars and seat were great for me on a 2015 ST S new, I may just spring for that. I don't need full on touring, I would add a 55 litre top box on a sport model, combined with the frunk would be perfect.

The models are a little confusing also, I look at an ST and it looks like an RT, next I look at an ST and it looks like an RS. I'm slowly getting that sorted. The prices seems very similar in AZ as they are in NC.
    2010 GS SE5 red and black
    1982 Honda GL650 (showroom condition)
    2014 Honda Goldwing Valkyrie

Spyder Garage

Default Bike looks.

Here's the magic decoder.
    RS is the sport model. Seating is hunched over the tank and pegs pulled under. Bars forward.
    ST is sport touring. Seating is more upright and pegs moved a bit down and forward. Bars mid-range.
    The RS and ST share a lot of common parts thru the years. You are right the 13 is fly by wire.
    RT is true touring. Seating like a sofa and pegs forward for comfort. Has a large integrated rear trunk. Bars to the rear.

To me the torso angle and knee angle of the ST offer a great ride. I may be biased.

Bob Denman posted a great photo of the respective riding position of all 3 Trykes.
    Bob where are you??

Cheers, David C.