Spyder Garage

Default How best to cut into speaker panel? For 12 v receptacle

Ok...figured out how to get to wires that power the accessory 12v plug in the rear box - by removing the left side speaker assembly. I can tap into those wires, feed it to the front fairly easily. I got the speaker panel off on the left side, but I'm curious.

I've seen others install the round "hub" in that panel, but what did they use to cut into it? Dremel? Hot knife? Big drill bit?

Curious minds.....Thanks!
    Rawhide Kid
    2014 Spyder RT Limited. Cognac
    Goodyear, AZ

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Joe said he used a hole saw but put something like a piece of soft wood behind it when you do the drilling.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default YOUR PROJECT

I'm a DIY'er, and I'm curious also ........ I'm trying to figure out Exactly what you are trying to accomplish ?... Do you want to ADD another 12v rect. somewhere ?? ... if so you are doing the it the hard way ....jmho ..... Mike ..... With more info maybe we can come up with something easier ...... Mike

Spyder Garage

I'm putting a 12 volt usb hub (marine quality) in the speaker cover on left side. This is so I can charge my iPhone if needed. I've seen others do this and I like how it looks and the placement.
    Rawhide Kid
    Goodyear, AZ

Spyder Garage

If you own a Unibit step drill large enough that works well for all plastics.

For good results in plastic, it must be true Unibit with a single cutting edge.

Certainly not inexpensive. Maybe you know an electrician or similar if you try to borrow one.

As an alternate method, see if EMT conduit is the proper size. Lightly sharpen the cut edge of the tube on a beltsander or grinder. With gloves on, heat the tube with a propane torch and press it through the plastic. Dress the edge as needed after forming the hole.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    I'm a DIY'er, and I'm curious also ........ I'm trying to figure out Exactly what you are trying to accomplish ?... Do you want to ADD another 12v rect. somewhere ?? ... if so you are doing the it the hard way ....jmho ..... Mike ..... With more info maybe we can come up with something easier ...... Mike
    Dr buck has some images of his install here: http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...=Speaker+panel
    Rawhide Kid
    Goodyear, AZ

Spyder Garage

I used a 1 1/8 forstner bit. Nice tight fit.

Cruzr Joe
    2018 F3 Limited, BRP Driver Backrest, Spyderpops Lighted Bump Skid, Dual Spyclops Light, Mirror Turn Signals, Laser Alignment, Engine LEDs, Fog Lights With Halo's, Cushion Handgrips, BRT LEDs, and Under Lighting, Lamonster IPS, (with Clock), F4 25" Vented Windshield with Wings, Airhawk "R" Cushions. Position 4 Brake setting, Short reach Handlebars, Dash Mounted Voltmeter and 12 Volt Plug. Set of 3rd pegs. Extended Passenger Seat. Exterior BRP Connect setup, Ultimate Trailer

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default 12V RECEPTICAL

Quote Originally Posted by Rawhide kid View Post
    I'm putting a 12 volt usb hub (marine quality) in the speaker cover on left side. This is so I can charge my iPhone if needed. I've seen others do this and I like how it looks and the placement.
    OK, You have some idea's from others ..... make sure the grill is off when you do this ..... If you have a dremel , drill a 1/4 inch hole and then enlarge it with a coarse stone,.... you can buy a HOLE saw , but if you use it run it BACKWARDS... Why are you using the rear plug for the power ???? that's very far away ...so lots of wire , if you don't have a separate power-block ( which is a good idea ) just tap onto the battery ( with a fused wire ) and run it up to the plug ....... Mike

Very Active Member Roadster Renovations's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Spyder Garage

I used the plate as a guideline, and then a dremmel to cut into it for my dual USB port that I installed.

Just make sure that you put it in an area with enough depth to not hit the speaker.

-Fratz

Spyder Garage

Lightbulb

I do not know if this helps you. On my 2015 Rt I found a blank plug in the left side (drivers perspective) of the frunk. Behind it were wires that connect to the same circuit as the rear socket. By moving the fuse in the fuse block it can be hot all the time or with the key on. In my case I installed a cig socket in that hole and the wires slipped right on the socket (that is what they are there for).

In your case you can tap those wires and run them to your socket. Added bonus it is already fused and can be turned off with the key.

Good Luck,
    Louie
    2015 RTL , Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderCruiser View Post
    I do not know if this helps you. On my 2015 Rt I found a blank plug in the left side (drivers perspective) of the frunk. Behind it were wires that connect to the same circuit as the rear socket. By moving the fuse in the fuse block it can be hot all the time or with the key on. In my case I installed a cig socket in that hole and the wires slipped right on the socket (that is what they are there for).

In your case you can tap those wires and run them to your socket. Added bonus it is already fused and can be turned off with the key.

Good Luck,
    Louie
    Can you show a picture of where exactly that is ? I couldn't find it on my 15 RT
    " Fat people are harder to kidnap "

2015 RTS-SE6 Circuit Yellow
    Akrapovic Exhaust - BajaRon Sway bar
    Rivco rear Trunk Rack
    Lamonster LED Head Lights - LED Fog Lights
    Spyder Cuff - Hwy Pegs
    Ultimate Midrider Seat w/ Yellow Trim - Rear Armrests
    Spyderpops Bumpskid with LED - Full view Turn Signal
    R/T Front grill Inserts
    3rd Brake light - Saddle bad LED
    Baker Built Air Wings
    Doc's Spring Stiffeners - Vibration Dampener
    TRICLED underground LED'S

Spyder Garage

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by tmcquain View Post
    Can you show a picture of where exactly that is ? I couldn't find it on my 15 RT
    I hope that this is not a RT vs RTL thing as my Spyder is a Limited. Here is a photo, just to the right of the battery cover. The wires can be reached by removing the battery cover. The socket is a marine socket with rubber cover purchased from epay. There was just a rubber plug I removed from that hole. The hole was the correct size for the cig socket. Handy if you want to plug a phone or sena headsets to charge.

Last edited by SpyderCruiser; 02-11-2017 at 02:54 PM.
    2015 RTL , Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderCruiser View Post

Good Luck,
    Louie
    Louie, your my new best friend. That is an awesome find!! I will definitely route my wires to that spot rather than the rear. Thanks so much. And isn't it crazy - they put two 12 hubs, or accessory wires, in the frunk and trunk, yet none on the dash? Really?

Thanks again. RHK
    Rawhide Kid
    Goodyear, AZ

Spyder Garage

I used a dremmel.

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black
    Bought June 2013 with 450 miles. 27K on 8-1-2017.
    Farkles - DIY Trunk Break Light, HMT Break Light, DIY Mirror Turn Signal Lights, DIY Bluetooth Dongle, DIY iPod Setup, DIY Alarm System Install, Show Chrome front fender / rear saddle bag lights, 4th break light around the trunk, Vented Windshield, Baja Ron Sway Bar, DIY GPS setup, Smooth Spyder, BRP Chrome Mirrors, Adjustable deflectors, Triaxis handlebars, NVB Pegs, Bad Boy Airhorn... More to come
    2011 RT-S SM5 , Baja Ron Black

Spyder Garage

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Rawhide kid View Post
    Louie, your my new best friend. That is an awesome find!! I will definitely route my wires to that spot rather than the rear. Thanks so much. And isn't it crazy - they put two 12 hubs, or accessory wires, in the frunk and trunk, yet none on the dash? Really?

Thanks again. RHK
    Glad it helped you.
    2015 RTL , Red

Spyder Garage

Default Dual USB Charger

What about this ?IMG_0231.JPGIMG_0232.JPG Keep an eye on your battery at the same time .
    Last edited by fastfraser; 02-13-2017 at 09:05 AM.
    Happy Owner

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by fastfraser View Post
    What about this ?IMG_0231.JPGIMG_0232.JPG Keep an eye on your battery at the same time .
    Imho, it is a LOT easier to cut into the speaker panel and route a wire there than this placement. But that's just me.
    And if I mess up, pretty easy (and cheap?) to replace the panel. But others may vary, and I'm fine with that.

Thanks everyone! Had to button everything back up to ride my bike this week, but hope to work on this soon.
    Rawhide Kid
    Goodyear, AZ

Spyder Garage

Hole saw will work great
    2021 RT Limited

2016 RTS , Pearl White