Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MelloYelloSpyder View Post
    Hope it becomes the ride you want it to be and are looking for. Me personally I had my Spyder STS for two years and it never grew on me. I just bought a two wheel and the Spyder is up for sale. Either way I hope it is what you are looking for and stay safe.

Every bike I have owned had issues with it. Some were major mechanical issues, some were usefulness issues and many times I just needed to put some spice back into my ride so "out with the old and in with the new". I need a full year under my belt to give this bike a thumbs up/down vote. When the snow clears and the vibration gadget installed I'll post my honest opinion when the year is out. I can say I did not need a trike, my other bike being considered was the Honda VFR1200X DCT. I wanted to try something completely new so the Spyder it was. I did also test ride a 2017 Harley Freewheeler last November and it shifted like the tranny was broke, it clunked into gears. My buddy bought a different Harley trike that same day but I walked away....thankfully. In the future I'll add this bike to my "rides" and look back regardless and talk of the memories, good and bad. Life is a never ending cycle of experiences.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Road-Kill View Post
    The windshield I added was a MADSTAD and it is bottom level ok at best.
    Mark's company is in Florida and his design fits mostly mild winters to hot summers. The F4 windshields are better for colder weather as they are taller and wider but pricey.

When I was at highway speed I noticed EXTREME vibration beginning at 63MPH.This vibration was so TERRIBLE that I initially thought it was a mechanical problem, it is.
    It is inherent of a having such a long belt with a huge rear sprocket. I installed the BRP idler pulley and the vibrations did not go away at the higher speeds (75 to 80) they merely trickle down in sensation but you'll still feel them. Nothing can be do as far as eliminating the vibration as a whole.

Spyder Garage

Default vibration

Where have you seen negative comments about the vibration reducer? Any particular brand? I ordered my reducer from Can Am cause its their machine, they should know best.....I think. Feedback is appreciated cause if the Can Am fix fails I can look elseware. Thanks
    The CanAM unit is very new, so there aren't many reviews about it. It's the cheapest option, it remains to be seen if it's durable. The vibration doesn't bother me since it occurs in a narrow rpm band so I've basically decided to ignore it for now.
    Last edited by CA Railwhale; 02-11-2017 at 12:50 AM. Reason: mispelling

Spyder Garage

Default Thanks for the impressions

INITIAL IMPRESSION
    I bought this new 2016 F3s Special a few weeks ago and other then riding it 45 miles home I have not ridden it since today because of snow/inclement weather. I put just over 150 miles on it today so this my opinion from being a newbie to both Spyders and trikes. I’m not new to motorcycles and these are just my thoughts and opinions.
    My ride started out good and getting used to the controls was easy.The “eco” button telling the bike you read the safety card is not only a joke but just plain stupid. It is meaningless safety drivel a lawyer must have advised the engineers to add. With that said I’ll say no more about it. The “mode” switch and those extra up/down/left/right switches appear to do nothing.I need to play with it more but with all the info in the display I noticed there is no clock!
    WINSHIELD
    The windshield I added was a MADSTAD and it is bottom level ok at best. Tilting the windshield does nothing to keep head buffeting from happening. Raising the windshield causes too much airflow under the windshield and the narrowness of the screen forces air directly onto your hands and boy was it cold. I’ll check their customer service and maybe trade my screen for a larger one, I’ll post feedback later as they appear very customer friendly.
    SIDE VIEW MIRRORS
    I noticed the side mirrors are not very adjustable.I lose about 25-33% of my rear view as my Givi luggage and passenger grab handles block visibility. It is good in that you can see not only completely behind you but all the way to the other side of the road regardless which mirror you are looking at. I did need to turn my head VERY hard left/right to check for traffic. Mirrors that angle outward a bit more would be helpful.
    YUP IT’S A TRIKE
    The bike at highwayspeed tracks like it’s on rails! I did not need to keep adjusting my steering to eat miles.That was the good but the bad and not the bikes fault was that it is a trike.No more leaning and the bike feels where you want her to go. No more finding that sweet spot between potholes/debris nor are you availed an escape route as the bike is verywide.The very good is that I felt very stable and the independent suspension ate up the potholes.The SE6 made shifting a joke and my loweringof the brake pedal (see previous post) allowed easy access when breaking.
    NOW FOR THE VERY BAD
    When I was at highway speed I noticed EXTREME vibration beginning at 63MPH.This vibration was so TERRIBLE that I initially thought it was a mechanical problem, it is. The vibration was not consistent and would come and go, I just needed to achieve 63MPH and BAM ….random extreme vibration. Realizing from prior reading in this forum that Can Am was already on it I turned around and headed to my dealer. They ordered me the items necessary to fix it (hopefully) from Can-Am (without labor $35.). I feel it is in VERY poor taste to make a customer pay to fix an apparent mechanical design flaw on such an expensive machine.I’ll post my response to this issue when the part comes in and I test it on the highway.
    MY FINALTHOUGHTS
    Overall I cannot say I’m yet to be in love with this bike. It’s the first impressions thing coming back to haunt me.Maybe with the corrected windshield and the belt vibration dampener I would be posting better more positive initial thoughts. When these two issues are addressed I’ll post my response. Thanks for any comments and your time.
    I'm ready to throw the switch on my purchase but plan on test riding at Daytona Bike Week since my local dealer doesn't allow test drives
    so the 63mph vibration was specifically from the belt and is/was a known issue on all the F3's? I may require a idler installed b4 I buy.
    How did you like the way it corners?
    Centrifugal force bad on the F3?
    Last edited by rudym; 02-11-2017 at 07:47 AM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by rudym View Post
    I'm ready to throw the switch on my purchase but plan on test riding at Daytona Bike Week since my local dealer doesn't allow test drives
    so the 63mph vibration was specifically from the belt and is/was a known issue on all the F3's? I may require a idler installed b4 I buy.

The vibration is definitely there on the RT as well.
    My dampening arm and adapter to fit on the RT is in the mail and en-route from Doc Humphreys.
    I'll probably hop over the border to The States from here in Canada to pick it up this coming Friday after work.
    Looking forward to warm weather.
    SuperDave_GPS
    Kingston, Ontario, Canada

"Rosie"
    2016 RT Limited

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by rudym View Post
    It cornered like it was on rails! Pretend you are in a stripped down sports convertable...no doors and floor....nothing....and that was the sensation I experienced. I did love the stability BUT it does not handle like a motorcycle because it is a trike, I knew that already from my test ride and this forum. I like it....but because of the windshield and vibration issues I'm not in love.......yet. One thing is for certain nobody hates the Spyder that I have met, at bike meets I made a beeline towards them and NEVER a bad comment, not even mechanical problems. They might keep a 2-wheeler in the garage for those "need to lean" days but the Spyder is a keeper. My initial thoughts were just that and not from a few thousand miles on it. I wrote that minutes after I arrived home so it was fresh in my mind.

Spyder Garage

Default Keeper

It cornered like it was on rails! Pretend you are in a stripped down sports convertable...no doors and floor....nothing....and that was the sensation I experienced. I did love the stability BUT it does not handle like a motorcycle because it is a trike, I knew that already from my test ride and this forum. I like it....but because of the windshield and vibration issues I'm not in love.......yet. One thing is for certain nobody hates the Spyder that I have met, at bike meets I made a beeline towards them and NEVER a bad comment, not even mechanical problems. They might keep a 2-wheeler in the garage for those "need to lean" days but the Spyder is a keeper. My initial thoughts were just that and not from a few thousand miles on it. I wrote that minutes after I arrived home so it was fresh in my mind.
    I'll "second" all your thoughts and comments! I've spent my life on 2 wheels (mostly HD and Indian). Wife wouldn't ride with me any more. Said I was "unsafe". (Imagine that!). Got the RT-S last summer, put 2000 miles on it and can't wait to get on it again! The vibration on mine starts around 63mpn and goes away around 67. I'll be ordering Doc Humphrey's set-up before the riding season starts. As far as wind - not an issue. It's a motorcycle. The only one I'm concerned with as far as wind goes is my wife. I can adjust it for her comfort.

Ride on.......

Spyder Garage

Thumbs up Response to identified issues

I agree with you 100% about the vibration and the windshield. I ordered the pulley and put it on myself. You can find the video posted by Lamonster. Once I installed the pulley the vibration completely disappeared. It was a welcome adjustment and makes the whole riding experience completely different. I also added an extension on my windshield, and that too improved my riding experience 100%. I hope you have the same successful experiences with your mods.

INITIAL IMPRESSION
    I bought this new 2016 F3s Special a few weeks ago and other then riding it 45 miles home I have not ridden it since today because of snow/inclement weather. I put just over 150 miles on it today so this my opinion from being a newbie to both Spyders and trikes. I’m not new to motorcycles and these are just my thoughts and opinions.
    My ride started out good and getting used to the controls was easy.The “eco” button telling the bike you read the safety card is not only a joke but just plain stupid. It is meaningless safety drivel a lawyer must have advised the engineers to add. With that said I’ll say no more about it. The “mode” switch and those extra up/down/left/right switches appear to do nothing.I need to play with it more but with all the info in the display I noticed there is no clock!
    WINSHIELD
    The windshield I added was a MADSTAD and it is bottom level ok at best. Tilting the windshield does nothing to keep head buffeting from happening. Raising the windshield causes too much airflow under the windshield and the narrowness of the screen forces air directly onto your hands and boy was it cold. I’ll check their customer service and maybe trade my screen for a larger one, I’ll post feedback later as they appear very customer friendly.
    SIDE VIEW MIRRORS
    I noticed the side mirrors are not very adjustable.I lose about 25-33% of my rear view as my Givi luggage and passenger grab handles block visibility. It is good in that you can see not only completely behind you but all the way to the other side of the road regardless which mirror you are looking at. I did need to turn my head VERY hard left/right to check for traffic. Mirrors that angle outward a bit more would be helpful.
    YUP IT’S A TRIKE
    The bike at highwayspeed tracks like it’s on rails! I did not need to keep adjusting my steering to eat miles.That was the good but the bad and not the bikes fault was that it is a trike.No more leaning and the bike feels where you want her to go. No more finding that sweet spot between potholes/debris nor are you availed an escape route as the bike is verywide.The very good is that I felt very stable and the independent suspension ate up the potholes.The SE6 made shifting a joke and my loweringof the brake pedal (see previous post) allowed easy access when breaking.
    NOW FOR THE VERY BAD
    When I was at highway speed I noticed EXTREME vibration beginning at 63MPH.This vibration was so TERRIBLE that I initially thought it was a mechanical problem, it is. The vibration was not consistent and would come and go, I just needed to achieve 63MPH and BAM ….random extreme vibration. Realizing from prior reading in this forum that Can Am was already on it I turned around and headed to my dealer. They ordered me the items necessary to fix it (hopefully) from Can-Am (without labor $35.). I feel it is in VERY poor taste to make a customer pay to fix an apparent mechanical design flaw on such an expensive machine.I’ll post my response to this issue when the part comes in and I test it on the highway.
    MY FINALTHOUGHTS
    Overall I cannot say I’m yet to be in love with this bike. It’s the first impressions thing coming back to haunt me.Maybe with the corrected windshield and the belt vibration dampener I would be posting better more positive initial thoughts. When these two issues are addressed I’ll post my response. Thanks for any comments and your time.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jstarmark View Post
    I agree with you 100% about the vibration and the windshield. I ordered the pulley and put it on myself. You can find the video posted by Lamonster. Once I installed the pulley the vibration completely disappeared. It was a welcome adjustment and makes the whole riding experience completely different. I also added an extension on my windshield, and that too improved my riding experience 100%. I hope you have the same successful experiences with your mods.

I'm going to post my thoughts on all my "farkle" and the bike when I complete 10,000 miles. Currently I have less than 200 miles on it as snow is blocking everything. 10,000 miles for me would be less then a years wait and I would be in better position to give an informed articulated opinion. Thanks.

Spyder Garage

Strange to me this vibration thing. I feel none on my 2015 F3. Maybe its because I have been riding since 1945 on lots of 2 wheels. But at 84 this is the best bike for me. Lots of fun and not the complaints lots of people have for not really a good reason. I know most will not agree with me but I still have an my rights to a viewpoint. So have a good ride and complaint time..

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Cool

I'm going to post my thoughts on all my "farkle" and the bike when I complete 10,000 miles. Currently I have less than 200 miles on it as snow is blocking everything. 10,000 miles for me would be less then a years wait and I would be in better position to give an informed articulated opinion. Thanks.
    Hi Road-Kill (Love the handle!) l've had my F3-S for almost two years and experienced the vibration you have, not at the same speed as Euro/ Aussie F3s have different rear sprocket
    but I did get it at a certain road speed. It disappeared at around 5000 miles and hasn't returned. The drive belt is now much less stiff than it was when new and no longer vibrates like it did.
    That motor loves to be ragged! No, it's not necessary but it's great fun, once the engine is broken in, to run it fast to around 7000 rpm before changing gear!

Spyder Garage

The F4 is a great shield as is the Madstad, but if you really want to rid yourself of head buffeting you'll need to add an MRA- X Screen. They make all the difference in the world.
    The idler pulley will take away most of the vibrations.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Spyder #1 - 2008 GS SM5 Premier Edition #1977. RIP after 80,000 miles.
    Spyder #2 - 2012 RT SM5. Traded in after 24,000 miles.
    Spyder #3 - 2015 F3 SM6. Put 13,000 miles on and sold it.
    Spyder #4 - 2017 F3 SM6. Too good of a deal to pass up!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

[QUOTE=Firefly;1228037]The F4 is a great shield as is the Madstad, but if you really want to rid yourself of head buffeting you'll need to add an MRA- X Screen. They make all the difference in the world.

I have added the F4 windshield and put 260 miles with it on the other day and LOVE it. The "head buffeting" is completely gone and the wind is removed from 60% of the grip area. Still debating the LaminarLip extensions to remove that final 40% from my grips. Thanks.

Spyder Garage

Has the BRP belt tensioner solved anybody's vibration problem? Got a new f3 and have a vibration at 65 mph. Going to the dealer to get the tensioner.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Windjamer View Post
    Has the BRP belt tensioner solved anybody's vibration problem? Got a new f3 and have a vibration at 65 mph. Going to the dealer to get the tensioner.

It is "supposed" to arrive at my dealer tomorrow February 28th. I'm betting it will not. No other news to share.

Spyder Garage

[QUOTE=Road-Kill;1228162]
    Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
    The F4 is a great shield as is the Madstad, but if you really want to rid yourself of head buffeting you'll need to add an MRA- X Screen. They make all the difference in the world.

I have added the F4 windshield and put 260 miles with it on the other day and LOVE it. The "head buffeting" is completely gone and the wind is removed from 60% of the grip area. Still debating the LaminarLip extensions to remove that final 40% from my grips. Thanks.
    I've used both the Laminar and the MRA- X Screen.... the MRA- X Screen is far better... and adjustable.

Spyder #1 - 2008 GS SM5 Premier Edition #1977. RIP after 80,000 miles.
    Spyder #2 - 2012 RT SM5. Traded in after 24,000 miles.
    Spyder #3 - 2015 F3 SM6. Put 13,000 miles on and sold it.
    Spyder #4 - 2017 F3 SM6. Too good of a deal to pass up!

Spyder Garage

[QUOTE=Road-Kill;1224726]
    Quote Originally Posted by Cruzr Joe View Post

I believe you. It sounds right and felt right so it must be right. I'll keep it closer to 4,000 RPMs. Thanks
    Yup The more I ryde the more 4000 feels good
    2010 RTSM5

2010 RTSM5 , stock Stock Silver

Spyder Garage

[QUOTE=Zip;1230276]

Yup The more I ryde the more 4000 feels good
    Speed Demon!

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

[QUOTE=akspyderman;1230283]
    Quote Originally Posted by Zip View Post

Speed Demon!
    But I do get a vibration around 5000 in all gears
    2010 RTSM5

2010 RTSM5 , stock Stock Silver

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Windjamer View Post
    The BRP belt tensioner solved about 90% of my felt vibration problems that occurred primarily between 63-67 mph on my 2015 F3-S. It frankly made my vibration issue a non-issue in terms of annoying vibrations.

Spyder Garage

Default Belt tension

Likewise i installed the idle belt tension on my F3 and it is a night and day difference. Not to mention the throttle response is a lot quicker due to the tighter belt. Best $35 investment ive made into my bike.

Spyder Garage

If you have the Blue Ridge, get the X-Creen tour. It makes the windshield acceptable, at least to me. If you don't have a windshield, yet, don't get the Blue Ridge. As others have said, the idler pulley removes the vibration and you can easily install the pulley yourself. The 2-up shock is also the way to go. The idler pulley and 2-up shock together improve the ride immensely.
    John F.
    Tallahassee, FL

2015 Spyder F3 SE6, black
    BRP Driver/passenger Footboards
    BRP Adjustable Passenger Backrest
    Blue Ridge Windshield
    MRA X-Creen Tour, clear, clamp-on
    H4 LED Headlights
    F3 LED Fog Light Kit, LED Amber Halo Ring Kit, LED Tail Lights, F3 Rear run/brake/turn LEDs
    Easy Brackets
    Leatherworks, Inc. 120 Special Slight Angle Saddlebags
    Custom Dynamics Front Mud Flap LED lights, Street Magic Front Fender Tips, Double Feature Lens
    2-up rear shock
    Idler pulley kit

Spyder Garage

Can someone post the link to get the belt tensioner?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

2017 Can Am Spyder F3-Limited

Lamonster front fender LED light kit, Madstad adjustable windshield, Lidlox Helmet Lock, Techmount phone mount

Previous 2015 Can Am Spyder RT-SE6

Bajaron Sway Bar w/links, Rivco Dual trunk mounted flag poles, Custom Dynamics Long Amber Brightsides, Custom Dynamics Long Red Brightsides, Custom Dynamics LED RT HMT Brake Light w/Magic Strobes Brake Light Flasher, Techmount phone mount

Very Active Member Pirate looks at --'s Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Dealer

Quote Originally Posted by jephillips44 View Post
    Can someone post the link to get the belt tensioner?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
    Order it from your dealer!
    White 2013 Spyder RT Limited. BajaRon Swaybar, Custom Dynamic Third Brake Light. Ultimate Custom Black and White seat with driver and passenger back rest. Gloryder Led Wheel lights.Custom Dynamics Led Bright sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright sides.

2016 F3 Limited Intense Red Pearl. Lidlox, BRP Driver Back Rest, BRP Passenger Back Rest,Fog Lights, GPS, Signature Light! Custom Dynamics LED Bright Sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright Sides.

Spyder Garage

Default you can still lean

it's just a different kind of lean, but just as much fun. Just a different kind of fun. You'll see
    We now have His and Hers Spyders!
    Current Spyder: White 2015 F3-S SE6
    His Spyder: White 2015 F3 SE6

Previous Spyder: 2012 RT Limited SE5 -- 30,300 miles
    Previous rides: Kawasaki & Honda
    2015 F3 , Pearl White