Spyder Garage

Default Battery Replacement

I may need to replace the battery on my 2012 RT-SE5. I have some questions regarding this procedure:

1. when the battery is removed, will I lose stored information like mileage?
    2. is this something I should do, or should I take it to the (very expensive) dealer?
    3. if I do the replacement, what's a very good battery to use?
    4. I don't have a battery charger (just a tender), so I'll have to have this done where I buy the new battery...how can I be sure they've properly charged it? (I read that improper charging can reduce the life of the battery a lot).

Thanks in advance for your advice and expertise! I'm still a "newbie owner"...

Spyder Garage

Default Let's see....

There are videos on how this is done....
    You will only have to re-set you time, temp C/F, speed mph/kph
    Yuasa is still the best, imho, and comes charged but put it on the tender to make sure
    Be sure to get the battery that is already filled and not the fill it yourself type. Cheapcycleparts.com or online they are cheaper

Watch the videos and decide, seach here and you tube...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by solidgranite View Post
    I may need to replace the battery on my 2012 RT-SE5. I have some questions regarding this procedure:

1. when the battery is removed, will I lose stored information like mileage? No
    2. is this something I should do, or should I take it to the (very expensive) dealer? You can do yourself if handy
    3. if I do the replacement, what's a very good battery to use? Stock is fine
    4. I don't have a battery charger (just a tender), so I'll have to have this done where I buy the new battery...how can I be sure they've properly charged it? (I read that improper charging can reduce the life of the battery a lot). Any good battery store or dealer will be fine to get a battery. Batteries are normally charged and don't need to be charged unless sitting around for longs period of time.

Thanks in advance for your advice and expertise! I'm still a "newbie owner"...
    See above in red. Hope it helps some

Very Active Member Snowbelt Spyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

The stock battery for that machine is the Yuasa.

http://www.yuasabatteries.com/batteryprint.php?id=191

It is an AGM battery, which is required over a standard flooded cell battery, because it lays on its side. If you don't have an AGM charger, and don't want to buy one, then you'll need to buy the battery already filled and given the initial charge. Otherwise, the ones you see on line have a -BS designation. Meaning bottle supplied. You fill and charge them yourself. The initial charge is important to getting rated life out of the battery.

You could price the battery from your dealer and then install it yourself if you want.

Doug

2023 RT Limited, RT 622, BUDS/BUD2 Megatech/Megatronic

”Freedom is not a loophole”

F4 Customs SWCV, Ultimate, Lidlox, Adjustable Side Vents, Leather Like Grips, SS Grills, Centramatic, Garmin XT2, BajaRon Original Sway Bar w/ Lamonster links, P238

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Not a hard job at all.
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Spyder Garage

There are a lot of myths about charging a new battery. A bottle filled battery, filled in the store must be charge at a slow rate before installing the caps for a period of time. That is how you get the freshest battery for your Spyder. There are also factory filled batteries. They do not need to charged unless they have been sitting around for a while. Buying one of these makes sure the battery has been prepped properly. But you really don't know how old it is so risk not having the freshest battery.

https://youtu.be/Xpg10yp4duo

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

Default Good to Know!

Quote Originally Posted by Chupaca View Post
    There are videos on how this is done....
    You will only have to re-set you time, temp C/F, speed mph/kph
    Yuasa is still the best, imho, and comes charged but put it on the tender to make sure
    Be sure to get the battery that is already filled and not the fill it yourself type. Cheapcycleparts.com or online they are cheaper

Watch the videos and decide, seach here and you tube...
    That's good to know. Reseeting those things is pretty easy. I had to reset them when I got the bike. I can probably do the battery swap myself, especially if I can watch the video first to see about any tricky parts. I'll check out cheapcycleparts.com and the suppliers listed on this site. If they can give me a decent deal, I'd rather send the business their way because they help support this site. Thanks!

Spyder Garage

Default Good video

Quote Originally Posted by Highwayman2013 View Post
    Not a hard job at all.
    Good video, but I hope I don't have to remove the side panel, mirror, etc. on my 2012 RT. That's a bit more than I'm willing to risk... Maybe, just maybe my 2012 has enough room, and access to the positive terminal so I can slide the battery out. I'll pull the battery cover and have a look. Thanks!

Spyder Garage

Default Yup, It Helps a Lot!

Quote Originally Posted by trikermutha View Post
    See above in red. Hope it helps some
    Thanks! I'll probably give a try myself...just hoping I don't have to remove half the "tupperware" panels to get at it. LOL

Spyder Garage

You probably will have to remove the mid panel like my video shows.
    The trick I show in the video shows how to remove that panel without removing all the front ones and mirror.

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black
    Bought June 2013 with 450 miles. 27K on 8-1-2017.
    Farkles - DIY Trunk Break Light, HMT Break Light, DIY Mirror Turn Signal Lights, DIY Bluetooth Dongle, DIY iPod Setup, DIY Alarm System Install, Show Chrome front fender / rear saddle bag lights, 4th break light around the trunk, Vented Windshield, Baja Ron Sway Bar, DIY GPS setup, Smooth Spyder, BRP Chrome Mirrors, Adjustable deflectors, Triaxis handlebars, NVB Pegs, Bad Boy Airhorn... More to come
    2011 RT-S SM5 , Baja Ron Black

Spyder Garage

Do you have a cigarette lighter on the bike, if so go to an auto parts store and get a 9 volt memory saver. Codes do not go away, nothing needs to be reset.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by finless View Post
    You probably will have to remove the mid panel like my video shows.
    The trick I show in the video shows how to remove that panel without removing all the front ones and mirror.
    Bob
    Bob,
    After watching your video again: I feel better about the money I spent to get a bike with the battery up in the frunk!
    GREAT video and explanation of the process!!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black