Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Reply

Quote Originally Posted by WA5VHU View Post
    We go to the beach, she tows the camper and I tow the Tag-Along. Works for us. We had a Combi-Camp, now have a Roll-A-Home camper, have yet to tow the new one with a Spyder. When we went to the beach this last year 45° and rain was predicted for half the time we were going to be there, and it did, so we took the cage. Still had a good time.

I will let others talk about weight and such. We were a bit heavy with the Combi-Camp but didn't actually weigh it until we sold it.

Never ever believe the advertised weights of any RV trailer.

There is a great resource for general motorcycle camping over at http://www.motocampers.com/

Did you go out to OK and pick it up? Took mine back for Billie to install LED lighting and battery in. Got to go pick it up here someday or the other. Aren't they the nicest people?

Spyder Garage

Default Bunkhouse Little B

I run about 260 loaded Little B..
    getPart (2).jpg
    If I can't fix it, I will fix it so no one can fix it. Sypder Loco!

Spyder Garage

The Micro-Lite Trailer http://www.microlitetrailer.com/ plays very well with the Spyder. There is no setup time but like it or not, you will be photographed, a lot!

Pat

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by TEWKS View Post
    The Micro-Lite Trailer http://www.microlitetrailer.com/ plays very well with the Spyder. There is no setup time but like it or not, you will be photographed, a lot!

Pat
    What kind of rear view mirrors did you use, I've been looking for something that works.
    2014 RTL , Black Currant

Spyder Garage

I used these camco Tow-N-See mirrors. But, the suction cups um, kinda didn't suck so, I cut them off glued in a ram ball. I then got a stick on ram ball and attached it to the bottom of the Spyder's mirrors. Atatching the two with the double connector arm. Works pretty well! I guess the pics won't show.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=&sku=1037751&gclid=CJb43cr6g9ICFY9WDQod8EUD MA&Q=&ap=y&m=Y&c3api=1876%2C92051677562%2C&is=REG& A=details

Pat
    Last edited by TEWKS; 02-09-2017 at 05:06 PM.

Spyder Garage

We have a bunkhouse. Don't know it's back there.
    08 RS/SM5 (Hers) (sold)
    15 RT-S (Mine)
    2015 RT-S , Metallic Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by donmorris View Post
    Did you go out to OK and pick it up? Took mine back for Billie to install LED lighting and battery in. Got to go pick it up here someday or the other. Aren't they the nicest people?
    We bought ours used and took the cage from Baltimore up to New Hampshire to get it. Haven't been to see the folks in OK.
    Current:
    2016 Honda CTX700 DCT ABS (faring model)
    Kip Moto SherpaX Cargo Trailer

Wife Has:
    2014 Can-Am Spyder RT Limited
    2016 Lees-ure Lite Camping Trailer

Previous:
    2013 Can-Am Spyder RS SE5, zoom-zoom!
    2011 Can-Am Spyder RT-S SE5, Foot Burner - Gasoline Boiling Stinker - Gas Tank Vacuum Puller

Spyder Garage

What type of mileage do you get towing with the 1330?

Spyder Garage

is that it for this thread it was just starting to get interesting
    2018 F3s , Gold

Spyder Garage

Just got back from a 4,500 mile trip pulling my RT622 trailer. It has a 150# maximum payload and I was at or near that. Like most have said, for the most part, Don't know it's there. When I notice it is when passing other vehicles. A little more power would be nice but the 1330 is adequate. Also notice the trailer when going down hill through twisties. This is not the time and place for the "need for speed". I can feel the trailer "pushing" the rear of the Spyder in corners if going a bit fast. I am hopeful this can be somewhat mitigated when I change out the rear tire and install an upgraded one (probably go with General Altimax). As with pulling any trailer, one needs to plan ahead for extra passing, stopping, and curve situations. Breaking in mid-curve because your going too fast when a trailer is pushing your rear end is not a good feeling. Much better to enter a little slow and accelerate through the curve pulling the trailer through.
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi

Spyder Garage

Default motorcycle campers and the rt

i like this thread
    2018 F3s , Gold

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default WEIGHT & TRAILERS

Quote Originally Posted by canamjhb View Post
    Just got back from a 4,500 mile trip pulling my RT622 trailer. It has a 150# maximum payload and I was at or near that. Like most have said, for the most part, Don't know it's there. When I notice it is when passing other vehicles. A little more power would be nice but the 1330 is adequate. Also notice the trailer when going down hill through twisties. This is not the time and place for the "need for speed". I can feel the trailer "pushing" the rear of the Spyder in corners if going a bit fast. I am hopeful this can be somewhat mitigated when I change out the rear tire and install an upgraded one (probably go with General Altimax). As with pulling any trailer, one needs to plan ahead for extra passing, stopping, and curve situations. Breaking in mid-curve because your going too fast when a trailer is pushing your rear end is not a good feeling. Much better to enter a little slow and accelerate through the curve pulling the trailer through.
    and have always said the issue with Spyders and trailers .... is not the pulling ...it's the Weight of the trailer .....and Slowing or Stopping it .... if your trailer has Electric brakes, I think 500 - 525 would be safe ........ Mike

Spyder Garage

Default Weight and Trailers

I have pulled our trailer thousands on miles, this summer we did a 2,800 mile round trip to Glacier Park and I agree with Blueknight it's not the pulling but the stopping that maters if your in a pinch. Most of the time your aware and prepared for whats ahead of you on the road, but if the moment comes when the idiot pulls out in front of you just a little to close, you will have that extra edge on your side if you have electric brakes if your pulling something heavy.

Memorial day ride 2017 002.jpg Glacier Park Ride 009.jpg Glacier Park Ride 110.jpg
    2014 RTL , Black Currant

Very Active Member SPECTACUALR SPIDERMAN's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

hoping to put some mileage on my trailer when i get it next year

Spyder Garage

Great information for those who are able to "rough it" with trailer camping. I still prefer the hotel and restaurant thing.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Default Campers and the RT

Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post
    Great information for those who are able to "rough it" with trailer camping. I still prefer the hotel and restaurant thing.
    We like to take the trailer as that gives us the option of staying in a campground or grabbing a motel room. There are many places where we want to take extra time but no hotels close but some great campgrounds, I also pack a small porti-potty in the Aspen so my bride doesn't have to wander around the campground at night and that seems to work for her. At 66 years old we still enjoy camping if the weather is nice and we don't have to sleep on the ground. We had some great camping when we went to Glacier Park this summer and am glad we did because there were some bad fires later that will take years to recover.

IMG_2038.jpg resting in camp.jpg
    2014 RTL , Black Currant

Spyder Garage

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by PapaHotel View Post
    What type of mileage do you get towing with the 1330?
    Someone always asks. OMG, what does that do to your gas mileage?

It goes down somewhere between just a tiny bit or it goes all to hell.

I don't care. I want to go camping. I want to go camping on my motorcycle.

I only do it once or twice a year, so I don't care what the gas mileage is. If I was too worried about it I would stay home.

I guess if I was a full-time roamer towing a camper to a new location every few days it might make a larger impact on my gasoline budget, I might care then.

Current:
    2016 Honda CTX700 DCT ABS (faring model)
    Kip Moto SherpaX Cargo Trailer

Wife Has:
    2014 Can-Am Spyder RT Limited
    2016 Lees-ure Lite Camping Trailer

Previous:
    2013 Can-Am Spyder RS SE5, zoom-zoom!
    2011 Can-Am Spyder RT-S SE5, Foot Burner - Gasoline Boiling Stinker - Gas Tank Vacuum Puller

Spyder Garage

I only do it once or twice a year, so I don't care what the gas mileage is. If I was too worried about it I would stay home.

I guess if I was a full-time roamer towing a camper to a new location every few days it might make a larger impact on my gasoline budget, I might care then.

I agree ! I just want to go camping and if I was really concerned about mileage I probably would not have bought 2 Spyders, one for me and one for her ( she actually bought her own) but essentially it cuts our mileage in half because we are filling 2 tanks to ride the same distance, but its about the ride not the mileage. We do get anywhere from 30 to 42 pulling the trailer but we stay off the freeways and stick to the back roads and really get to see this great country.
    Glacier Park Ride 096.jpg
    2014 RTL , Black Currant

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by easysuper View Post
    We like to take the trailer as that gives us the option of staying in a campground or grabbing a motel room. There are many places where we want to take extra time but no hotels close but some great campgrounds, I also pack a small porti-potty in the Aspen so my bride doesn't have to wander around the campground at night and that seems to work for her. At 66 years old we still enjoy camping if the weather is nice and we don't have to sleep on the ground. We had some great camping when we went to Glacier Park this summer and am glad we did because there were some bad fires later that will take years to recover.

IMG_2038.jpg resting in camp.jpg
    Back in MN, we used to do camping the "hard way." As in Canoe Country portaging, packing in, and tenting on the ground. Many wonderful trips to beautiful places over 40 years. We had special mats to "protect" us from the ground--which kind of worked. One cool fall morning I ended up needing assistance to get up off the ground. That was the beginning of the end for wilderness canoeing. I don't miss it, because I have found some pretty nice hotels/motels over the subsequent years.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

With 's, we usually don't buy them for the mileage per gallon they provide us. Its all about the riding, camping, etc. We also have two, but the comfort awarded each rider is worth it. The first year, we did 10,000 miles, two up. It became more of an endurance thing. Buying Linda her own, was a good thing for the both of us.

2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Stop worrying about gas mileage. It's like a Rolls Royce, If you ask how much, you can't afford it!
    I would better if a compilation of MFG'S that make small motorcycle camper ready trailers would be listed ho recurse can be easily done.
    With each MFG listing we could compare options ect easily.
    With little idea who makes these that would be better than who has what and what was your MPG? There is no one answer due to here in the mountains would be bad compared to flat freeway.
    Also being handicapped and still want to camp these would be fantastic to see whats available.

Spyder Garage

People don't always ask about gas milage just because of the cost per se, for many their potential RANGE between fill-ups is FAAAR more important, and therefore anything that impacts adversely upon milage can become important!! For example, here in Aus we have many places where you can travel for thousands of kms with few fuel stops, and knowing that you are likely to make the next fuel stop can be critical not only for your enjoyment but also potentially life saving!

Besides, regardless of what it may mean to YOU & YOUR ryding, there can be a whole host of reasons as well as many instances where gas milage IS of a primary concern to the people who ask the question, or they probably wouldn't ask; so it's only polite to take the question at face value just like we take so many others at face value & either answer it if you know something that might help, or refrain from putting YOUR interpretation onto why someone else may have asked a question that you can't answer.... Just sayin!

Last edited by Peter Aawen; 10-04-2017 at 11:16 PM. Reason: but not bug?!? Bloody auto-correct!
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Aawen View Post
    People don't always ask about gas milage just because of the cost per se, for many their potential RANGE between fill-ups is FAAAR more important, and therefore anything that impacts adversely upon milage can become important!! For example, here in Aus we have many places where you can travel for thousands of kms with few fuel stops, and knowing that you are likely to make the next fuel stop can be critical not only for your enjoyment bug also potentially life saving!

Besides, regardless of what it may mean to YOU & YOUR ryding, there can be a whole host of reasons as well as many instances where gas milage IS of a primary concern to the people who ask the question, or they probably wouldn't ask; so it's only polite to take the question at face value just like we take so many others at face value & either answer it if you know something that might help, or refrain from putting YOUR interpretation onto why someone else may have asked a question that you can't answer.... Just sayin!

No problem peter with your input. Here in the US there are back roads with gas stations 200+ miles apart and no signage of that. talking to a few others that do also pull trailers of different size and weight on there spiders do not see a real big drop in gas mileage. I was getting 35 last week with the trailer and 42 normally on my RT. Only time I took a real hit was traveling in the mountains.Going from 3000 Ft to 10,000 in a fairly short span did suck a lot of gas. I do carry a 1 gal gas can in the trailer as a oops hoping not to happen.
    Here in the states seems like all people who see the spider, the 1st thing they say is how much. Them might ask about the gas consumption but usually tell them the aprox price and they go nuts that someone would spend that much money on a bike. I just giggle.As I mentioned is that I would like to see a list of all company's that make camping trailer for motorcycles to get a good idea whats out there.
    Take care..
    Gary

Spyder Garage

Default Motorcycle campers

Quote Originally Posted by wd8ajj View Post
    No problem peter with your input. Here in the US there are back roads with gas stations 200+ miles apart and no signage of that. talking to a few others that do also pull trailers of different size and weight on there spiders do not see a real big drop in gas mileage. I was getting 35 last week with the trailer and 42 normally on my RT. Only time I took a real hit was traveling in the mountains.Going from 3000 Ft to 10,000 in a fairly short span did suck a lot of gas. I do carry a 1 gal gas can in the trailer as a oops hoping not to happen.
    Here in the states seems like all people who see the spider, the 1st thing they say is how much. Them might ask about the gas consumption but usually tell them the aprox price and they go nuts that someone would spend that much money on a bike. I just giggle.As I mentioned is that I would like to see a list of all company's that make camping trailer for motorcycles to get a good idea whats out there.
    Take care..
    Gary

Thanks for for the photo I like the mountain view as well. But getting back to me earlier remark's about camping I've spent four hours trying to get a motel in Salt Lake City to class events in the city and spent four hours looking for a room on a trip to Duluth Minnesota 150 miles two events in the city couldn't get a room Sturgis south Dakota last minute rooms can run $200 to $400 a night
    2018 F3s , Gold

Spyder Garage

Default Motorcycle campers

Some places like Yellowstone or the Minnesota Canada border there are no motels
    2018 F3s , Gold