Thread: Vibration

Spyder Garage

Default Vibration

I have a 2013 ST Limited, that I bought used. Sometimes, it has a vibration like a wheel is out of balance, but unlike a balance issue, it doesn't occur at all times. I have experienced this on both smooth and rough roads. Is this typical of the belt vibrating? Thank you for you input.

Ladies and Gentle Spyder Lovers!
    Just thought I would update this post. After installing (mounted and balanced) a new rear tire, my vibration issues diminished greatly. Noticing this result, I took the front tires to my local tire shop and had them balanced. One was good and one was out. With approximately 11,000 miles, all three were balanced at time of production. Now, it is silky smooth and I am a happy camper. Only wished I had checked the balance last year when I first purchased it.

Have a great day and hope to meet you all at the Deadwood Rally!!
    Last edited by Dusty; 05-11-2017 at 03:07 PM. Reason: update info

Spyder Garage

IF it's a drive belt vibration, then there are belt dampner's/tensioner's that can alleviate some of that vibration.
    See all the other threads like

We need a belt damper / tensioner shootout

But there are so many others that refer to like

Vibration and shaking at higheeer speeds
    We need a belt damper / tensioner shootout
    Safe Rides,
    David and Sharon Goebel
    Both Retired USAF Veterans
    2018 Anniversary Edition RT Limited
    Baja Ron ultimate swaybar. Vredestein tires, Baja Ron Front Shock Pre-load adjusters, Pedal Box, See my Spyder Garage
    IBA 70020

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

My 2014rts has that around 74mph...or sometimes at 82...feels like a wheel bear i thought..dealer told me it was belt harmonics....so i went with that...it changes alot...stops and starts with different speeds...but always the same...so its not getting worse...so i turn the radio up and. Just fly...

Sent from my LGLS675 using Tapatalk

Spyder Garage

Belt harmonics usually occurs at high speed. A wheel out of balance could cause vibration, a loose wheel can also cause it. Have you checked wheel lugs? Also the rear wheel needs to be checked, is it loose, or it may be not mounted straight. Another thing to look at, are all the tires wearing evenly??? I hope you find the culprit!!!
    Current ride: 2013 Circuit Yellow ST-S SE5

Spyder Garage

Warped brake rotor ?
    Happy Owner

Spyder Garage

I have had vibration problems and always turned out to be wheel alignment. Check your tire wear for abnormal wear on inside or outside which is also wheel alignment.
    2012 RT Limited
    Vertika Floor boards
    Painted rear fender & dash
    Carbon fiber panels
    Utopia back rest
    Baker air wings
    Elka shocks and relocaters
    CB radio
    ISO hand grips
    Tric LED fender light
    Turn signal lights in mirrors

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Dusty View Post
    I have a 2013 ST Limited, that I bought used. Sometimes, it has a vibration like a wheel is out of balance, but unlike a balance issue, it doesn't occur at all times. I have experienced this on both smooth and rough roads. Is this typical of the belt vibrating? Thank you for you input.
    At what speed do you normally get it, Dusty? If it's up around 65-70mph it's usually belt vibration which can be significantly reduced by fitting a belt tensioner.
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

Default front wheels ?

hey folks, { dusty } I think you mean front wheels ? I do get this unusual almost like harmonic un-balance of the front end , around 40 m.p.h. it shakes pretty rough if you keep it at that speed , it smooths out over that range , say 45 m.p.h. or lower in the 35 range , but right at 40 or so ! I thought it might be from , 1 un-even tire pressure , 2 cold elements , { ex: I store my cycle in a warm area , and have noticed this vibration on cooler days } , so from my experience , I just power through it , throttle that is ... no unusual tire wear , { haven`t checked the tires for wheel balance either }

Spyder Garage

Default Vibration

I just went through this vibration problem on a used 2014 RT I purchased. It turned out to be the Kenda tires. I screwed around trying to balance the Kendas with dina beads, ride on no help. Changed belt tension to various tensions no help. Finally put on car tires and it's now perfectly smooth.

Spyder Garage

Arrow You may want to do a search for more info

New ball joints on 2013 RT - world of difference

Identify what you have control over and find peace with what you don't.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

How many miles are on this bike?
    Checking the ball joints is pretty easy: get the front-end of the bike off the ground, and give each wheel the "yank" test...
    If there's more than the smallest amount of looseness: Bingo!

Otherwise: this is simply belt harmonics... get yourself a belt stabilizer!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black