Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default FYI: Top Case Kit for 2016-2017 F3T

I just installed the BRP top case on my 2016 F3T, and found out that the side panel kit is not exactly "Optional".

Specifically, When I discovered that there were no side panels in the box, I called my dealer and they opened a incident with BRP for me, and were told that the top case comes without any side panes included. This is really pretty crazy in my opinion, since not only is the top case much less attractive without the side panels, due to the contour the the case without them, but the wiring harness for the tail light and radio antenna are exposed to the weather. Even if this were not enough. the installation of the radio antenna uses the left (non-existent) as the mounting point.

I had expected that a funky set of panels would be included, thus allowing a compete install, but at the same time encourage the ordering of a nicer looking panels, but I was, and remain blown away that no panels are included with the base price AND the side panels are described in the catalog as being "Optional".

One last note. Though BRP describes the case as "Quick Installation and Removal" this is also a bit misleading. while neither the install nor removal is difficult, it is not something most would want to do in a motel parking lot. Removal is essentially an uninstall. It involves two mounting Torx screws, and I believe 4 electrical connections (one of which requires a wrench/socket). Plus, since the top case replaces the panel that covers the area behind the passenger, unless one want to leave that area exposed to the weather, and passersby, then the pedestal to which the case mounts must also be removed (4 more Torx screws) and the stock rear panel reinstalled (consider how to carry that panel with you on a road trip).

I do not plan to remove/install case more than a few times a year, and even then it will be done at home, so it becomes almost a non-issue for me.

Now, just to be clear, I love the top case, even though I had to order the side panels and the Inner bag (MSRP $200 and $130). For me personally, I could not be happier with the case, but do feel that I was mislead.

Very Active Member armyspydervet's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I didn't even realize it was released yet. Could you provide some photo's to see what it looks like? Also, did you install the optional speakers?
    Chris

2016 F3-T SE6

Spyder Garage

Default Have to agree...

that is misleading and if it were more to the point one could order the missing parts. but then if you already have half your more apt to buy the rest....
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

I still say that if I wanted a top case for my F3L, I would have kept my RT Limited.
    2020 Chalk, RT Limited, Dark and matching RT622 trailer and BRP hitch. BRP Drivers Backrest, Auxiliary Light, Garmin Zumo XT, GPS Support, RT Rear Panel and Travel Cover. Spyderpops LEDs on fenders, mirrors, saddlebags, top case and RT rear panel. Spyderpops Rock Guard. BajaRon Swaybar, Wolo Bad Boy horn, Freedom Windshield, Elka Shocks.
    2020 RT Limited , Chalk

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by armyspydervet View Post
    I didn't even realize it was released yet. Could you provide some photo's to see what it looks like? Also, did you install the optional speakers?
    The speakers are included with the top case, however the amplifier is another option to activate the speakers, you will also need a USB key with the upload program to activate the speakers. I like the look and the additional storage, it has 2USB ports inside along with a LED light, the 3rd brake light and a heads up on the dash if the lid is not closed. When I ordered mine the dealer did tell me that I would need the side panels and asked what color I wanted them in.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Spyder Garage

Default Top case

Could you share with us the cost of all the bits and pieces?

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I think I will just go with a Baker Built luggage rack and a generic top box. Only need the trunk for trips.
    Probably $350 all in.
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderF3 View Post
    The speakers are included with the top case, however the amplifier is another option to activate the speakers, you will also need a USB key with the upload program to activate the speakers. I like the look and the additional storage, it has 2USB ports inside along with a LED light, the 3rd brake light and a heads up on the dash if the lid is not closed. When I ordered mine the dealer did tell me that I would need the side panels and asked what color I wanted them in.
    I'm torn. It's a lot of money for what you get. You could almost buy a trailer for the price. But my kids would love to have the back rest, arm rests and extra space. I'm going to have to think on this one for awhile.
    Chris

2016 F3-T SE6

Spyder Garage

I hummed and hawed when I was looking at the 2016 F3L and the 2017's with the top box.
    Like it has been posted, if I wanted a top box, I would of stepped up to an RT.
    2016 F3 Spyder Limited SE6
    2005 Honda ST1300 ABS

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Gsebring View Post
    Could you share with us the cost of all the bits and pieces?
    I had in all figured in on the purchase price but I'm going to say with the arm rest, cargo, side panels, wiring harness and amplifier it was close to 2K. 99% of my riding is with the wife and she wanted the back rest and arm rest's and the cost of those are getting close to half the total cost without the speaker option, so I figured what the heck.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Al Gully View Post
    I hummed and hawed when I was looking at the 2016 F3L and the 2017's with the top box.
    Like it has been posted, if I wanted a top box, I would of stepped up to an RT.
    If the RT sat and handled like an F3, I would have gotten that too.
    Chris

2016 F3-T SE6

Spyder Garage

If the RT sat and handled like an F3, I would have gotten that too.
    I was dead set on getting a RT until I drove one, when I came back to the dealer after the test ride I told him I didn't like it and said I wasn't interested in it. The first time I had to lift my leg to break in an emergency I was dead. And I felt like I sat way to high, I was used to a seat height of 24" on my motorcycle with forward controls, I was going to leave until he asked me if I tried an F3, they adjusted the foot pegs on one set up for u-fit and I was sold. To me it feels really close to the seating position on my bike and it sold me. My wife loves the air ride

Spyder Garage

Default How is it ?

Hi TomG,

Can you tell me how is it really ?

I went to a show last week-end and I saw the top case on a few F3L. For what I can tell, what I saw, was pretty cheap. The representant told me that it was not a production case (just a prototype) and that the real one must be a little different.

If I compare the same F3 with the top case or with a standard passenger back rest, the top case seems to be at least 2 to 3 inches closer to the driver. So the passenger is really to close to me. On the one that you have, is it the same or is the back rest at the same place ?

Also, on those that i saw, the back rest doesn't have a confortable angle. When on the seat, the back rest was too inclined toward the front.

I really hope that the production ones are not the same. I won't even give 500$ for what I saw. So, I'm really far of the 2K$ that BRP are asking for them.

Thanks !
    2016 F3T , Red

Spyder Garage

Default what you saw may have been an early prototype

Quote Originally Posted by MagYukon View Post
    Hi TomG,

Can you tell me how is it really ?

I went to a show last week-end and I saw the top case on a few F3L. For what I can tell, what I saw, was pretty cheap. The representant told me that it was not a production case (just a prototype) and that the real one must be a little different.

If I compare the same F3 with the top case or with a standard passenger back rest, the top case seems to be at least 2 to 3 inches closer to the driver. So the passenger is really to close to me. On the one that you have, is it the same or is the back rest at the same place ?

Also, on those that i saw, the back rest doesn't have a confortable angle. When on the seat, the back rest was too inclined toward the front.

I really hope that the production ones are not the same. I won't even give 500$ for what I saw. So, I'm really far of the 2K$ that BRP are asking for them.

Thanks !
    The builtin backrest is within a small fraction of an inch of being the same distance to my drivers backrest as my, now old, detachable backrest. Nor does it have any noticeable forward lean when l look at it, or when i sit in the passengers seat.

you might find a dealer near you that has one on display

Hope this helps.

Very Active Member Pirate looks at --'s Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Where is it

Can someone tell me where to find the top case. I can find it on line anywhere!
    White 2013 Spyder RT Limited. BajaRon Swaybar, Custom Dynamic Third Brake Light. Ultimate Custom Black and White seat with driver and passenger back rest. Gloryder Led Wheel lights.Custom Dynamics Led Bright sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright sides.

2016 F3 Limited Intense Red Pearl. Lidlox, BRP Driver Back Rest, BRP Passenger Back Rest,Fog Lights, GPS, Signature Light! Custom Dynamics LED Bright Sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright Sides.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Pirate looks at -- View Post
    Did you try your dealer?

Spyder Garage

Default trunks/top cases

Check out some of the luggage/ top cases we have on our discontinued page on our website. We have some real nice GIVI trunks that will also mount to our Luggage Rack at a great low price. If you have any questions on any of this luggage feel free to email us at sales@bakerbuiltairwings.com or find us online at www.bakerbuiltairwings.com.

Quote Originally Posted by Highwayman2013 View Post
    I think I will just go with a Baker Built luggage rack and a generic top box. Only need the trunk for trips.
    Probably $350 all in.

Spyder Garage

Default top cases

I am not sure if we have what your looking for but if not you can check out our discontinued page on our website and see if there is something there you like. All of the luggage we have in stock is marked down to sell. We will be working only with GIVI drop shipping once this luggage is gone. We want to sell this because storage is limited. You can find us online at www.bakerbuiltairwings.com if you have any questions please feel free to email us at sales@bakerbuiltairwings.com

Quote Originally Posted by Pirate looks at -- View Post

Spyder Garage

Default USB key Question.

Were you able to order the USB Key from your dealer? I just installed mine on my 2016 F3 LTD and when I turned it on to check the lighting, I only had rear speakers. Very loud rear speakers. My dealer is checking with BRP about the USB Key. I also had a dealer tell me this afternoon that they opened a case with BRP because the USB ports in the top case didn't work. They were told the 2016 harness doesn't run power to the rear USB ports. Neither one of mine are powered.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by hdmike58 View Post
    Were you able to order the USB Key from your dealer? I just installed mine on my 2016 F3 LTD and when I turned it on to check the lighting, I only had rear speakers. Very loud rear speakers. My dealer is checking with BRP about the USB Key. I also had a dealer tell me this afternoon that they opened a case with BRP because the USB ports in the top case didn't work. They were told the 2016 harness doesn't run power to the rear USB ports. Neither one of mine are powered.
    I took a virgin flash drive to the dealer and he down loaded the program to up date the radio, it has to be a brand new flash drive, not one you erased the info from, ask me how I know. Then you just follow the instructions and plug it in and it takes about 25 seconds to download and update the radio.
    As far as the USB in the case, mine work only when the engine is running. My harness works fine, I was surprised also to see a warning on the heads up display when the rear cargo lid is not closed.
    Last edited by SpyderF3; 02-12-2017 at 08:52 AM.

Spyder Garage

Default Appreciate the information.

I took a virgin flash drive to the dealer and he down loaded the program to up date the radio, it has to be a brand new flash drive, not one you erased the info from, ask me how I know. Then you just follow the instructions and plug it in and it takes about 25 seconds to download and update the radio.
    As far as the USB in the case, mine work only when the engine is running. My harness works fine, I was surprised also to see a warning on the heads up display when the rear cargo lid is not closed.
    Thanks so much. I will check the USB's while running. The cargo lid warning was a nice surprise.

Spyder Garage

Thanks so much. I will check the USB's while running. The cargo lid warning was a nice surprise.
    Do your USB plugs work?
    Chris

2016 F3-T SE6

Spyder Garage

Default No power at USB's

Do your USB plugs work?
    No, they don't. The dealer told me BRP said the 2017 F3T would be ok but the 2016 F3T and F3LTD wouldn't have power to the USB's. He said separate wiring would need run to power the USB's.

Spyder Garage

No, they don't. The dealer told me BRP said the 2017 F3T would be ok but the 2016 F3T and F3LTD wouldn't have power to the USB's. He said separate wiring would need run to power the USB's.
    The wiring for the USB's is not part of the upgraded harness for the cargo box. It is in a black boot with 2-1/4" faston terminals and its labeled "customer accessory circuit". Its under the passenger seat.
    I have the 2016F3T and its thereIMG_1277.jpgIMG_1276.jpg
    Last edited by SpyderF3; 02-12-2017 at 02:55 PM.

Spyder Garage

Default Thanks again.

The wiring for the USB's is not part of the upgraded harness for the cargo box. It is in a black boot with 2-1/4" faston terminals and its labeled "customer accessory circuit". Its under the passenger seat.
    I have the 2016F3T and its thereIMG_1277.jpgIMG_1276.jpg
    Thanks, again for the information. I have the wire. I must have missed that part in the installation instructions. I will reply with an update when I get it working.