Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by armyspydervet View Post
    I will admit that I was anti-GPS for a long time. Why would I spend money on a GPS for my motorcycle (now Spyder) when I could use my phone I told myself. Then I moved to Virgina. On weekends, I like to go get lost in the backroads of VA and West VA. Phones work great when you have signal. They even work decent when you don't have a signal...until you need to recalculate a route. I broke down and bought the Garmin Zumo 395LM. It was pretty expensive, but not as much as the bigger model. I have come to appreciate it and use it in conjunction with my iPhone. It makes suggestions on routes for motorcycles, tracks my fuel mileage, tells me when I enter a state that has a motorcycle helmet law (not that I take it off but its nice to know), and tells me distance to next gas station.

Was it worth the price? That's all relative and subjective. I can't answer that for you. What I will tell you, is having both the GPS and the phone has been invaluable to me and my riding style...just my two cents worth; and it didn't even cost you two cents

Hey Chris:

Yup, I would have to say it was indeed worth it. The 660 unit cost me about 300 bucks on Amazon (not too shabby). It's a great little unit that pairs BT connectivity (i.e. I can dial my phone from the GPS unit itself) AND has an expandable micro-SD memory port. I popped in a 32 GB micro-SD card and now I have enough tunes and audio books to get me coast to coast (and back!).
    UCLA F3S (Russ): ('16 F3S SE6 Special Series "The Batpod") - DJ PC V, K&N AF, RLS Punisher Custom Exhaust, 7Jurock 27" Windshield, Corbin Dual Tour Saddle, Shad Rack/Bags, Bajaron Swaybar, BRP Signature Light, Lamonster "Parts Suite" (LED Fog/Headlights, GPS Mount/Garmin Zumo 660LM, RIP Boards, IPS Caps, Foam Grips), Can Am 2-Up Rear Shock; ('16 RT-S SE6 "Gipsy Danger") ​- BRP Adjustable Backrest, Bajaron Swaybar, Magic Mirror Mounts, Lamonster Dual Power Plate w/Large X-Grip

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 9tda1dr View Post
    UCLA F3S and fellow F3 Ryders,

I thought I'd provide some additional details for those who are looking for options to mount their phones.

I don't use a stand-alone GPS as I'd rather use my iPhone7 and Google Maps and save some money (we'll see how that works). I liked monkeyboymorton's iPhone holder set-up and after researching it, I thought it would fit the bill. The differences between the Leader Motorcycle Mounting Bracket and the RAM X-Grip can be found on this thread:

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...and-Ram-X-Grip

I purchased from Value Accessories (http://www.valueaccessories.net) the following four items:

(These following items are pictured below)

ITEM
    #1. RAM "Large" Universal X Grip Holder w/ 1" ball Price: $27.95**
    #2. Rubber tether (optional item included with item #1-no additional cost)
    #3. RAM 1 3/4" Double Socket Arm (for 1" ball) Price: $12.85
    #4. Can-Am Spyder F3 RAM Mount Kit w/ 1" ball Price: $19.95

Shipping $7.75 // TOTAL Cost: $68.50

**I purchased item #1 "large" instead of the "regular" size because my iPhone7 Plus (with cover) was slightly larger than the "regular" dimensions--didn't want it to be too tight. So, I went with the "large" size. Measure your phone before ordering! Instructions on site will provide the info you need before ordering.

In the picture above you'll see how the Rubber Tether (item #2) is stretched over the 1" ball of the RAM X-Grip Holder (item #1) and the 4 corners of the back of the iPhone in order to provide an even more secure hold than the X-Grip alone provides. This was a nice feature because I don't have a windshield on my Spyder and I wanted a very secure holder for my iPhone.

For rugged outdoor use, the manufacturer recommended you add super glue or equivalent to secure the four rubber ends to the metal arms.
    I decided to take one off and had to pull quite hard to get it to release. After the rubber end came off, I added waterproof glue and put it back on; checking the other three I decided not to take them off. Instead, I added glue to the outside surface where the metal arms go into the rubber ends in order to help minimize any water accumulation and to help further secure the rubber ends.

Below is my iPhone7 Plus w/ case, secured with the Rubber Tether (note the corners).

Lord willing, Saturday, I plan on mounting
    the Can-Am Spyder F3 RAM Mount Kit w/ 1" ball (item #4) to my handlebars and then attaching one end of the Double Socket Arm (item #3) to the 1" ball. The opposite end of the Double Socket Arm will then be secured to the 1" ball of the RAM X-Grip, to hold my iPhone.

The only defect was a small scrape which removed some paint off the surface of the Mount Kit (item #4). I plan on touching this up with some black paint. I'd say the manufacturer would make good on this defect, but it's not worth it to me. Otherwise, all items arrived quickly and appear to be in good working order.

Will update you all soon.

Thanks to everyone's comments on this thread.

Okay...I'm back...Installed the remaining items (#3 and #4) and attached them to the RAM X-Grip Holder.

This is what the RAM X-Grip looks like installed from the front and side:

This product does bring the iPhone7 closer to the rider's view (helps me since I need glasses for up-close reading) and allows for various placements dependent upon other items affixed to or near the handlebars.

Hope this helps!

THANK YOU! I ordered everything you mentioned - installed it myself and......IT'S PERFECT!!! Centered my phone, which I also use for my GPS, exactly in the middle of the F3 handlebars; easy to see and out of the way. Even my husband was impressed! Looks exactly like the "fancy-dancy" Garmin set up that came with his RT Limited - - but for less than $80.00.

THANKS AGAIN!
    He's on his RT She's on her F3

And the Keys to a Happy Marriage: Separate
    Bathrooms, Individual Remote TV Clickers, and
    His and Her Spyders.

"If there are no dogs in heaven, then when I die,
    I want to go where they went." ~ ~ Will Rogers

"Never in the field of human conflict was so much owed by so many to so few."
    ~ ~ Winston Churchill in his tribute to the RAF.

"I'd like to know why well-educated idiots keep apologizing for lazy and complaining
    people who think the world owes them a living." ~ ~ John Wayne

GOS 3799

Spyder Garage

Default Lamonster

http://www.lamonstergarage.com/lamon...-large-x-grip/

I bought this for my F3-S. The best! Easy to install and works like a charm!

Girard OH (summer) Greenville SC (winter)
    Spyder Garage

For me, RAM stuff is just too bulky. More suited for mounts on a dually truck. I am a minimalist so I went my own route. I did utilize RAM's Garmin 1450 cradle but I drilled and tapped 2 holes in my bar clamp for #10 screws. I bent a hunk of 14 gauge light steel at a 45° angle and mounted it to my cradle and clamp. The screws were hex head so that I could tighten them in the narrow space. Painted black with truck bed liner so it blends right fine the cradle and F3T textured black motif. Power comes up from the GPS System power through the button/key shroud. Minimal. Large pic shows the rider view. The full compliment of the Spyder dash is unobstructed.

Full details: >CLICK ME<
    2016 F3-T SE6 Roadster , Extended brake pedal for which I drilled out the brake rod yolk to lower it and added spacers to lift it slightly Black/Grey

Spyder Garage

I have the Garmin Zumo 660 mounted with the Lemonster mount and it works great except for one thing. Now I can't see the screen on my bike's instrument cluster display because the Zumo blocks it and a good section of the tachometer and speedometer. Anyone else have this problem?

Spyder Garage

Lightbulb Cell phone mounts

A few "minimalist" options I've found:

Low profile, all metal w/options for either horizontal or vertical mounting:
    https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B06Y45BX88
    https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B01KH3J6I6 (slightly different h-bar bracket)
    https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B0718V8CB8

Security band:
    https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B01CTZ7VVY

Low profile, all silicone, one horizontal/one vertical:
    https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B01NBWE7I9
    https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B00FU4N4JU

Thoughts?
    Last edited by TRLBLZR1; 06-06-2017 at 08:29 AM.
    🏁🏁 "Live Free Or Die" 🏁🏁

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by armyspydervet View Post
    I will admit that I was anti-GPS for a long time. Why would I spend money on a GPS for my motorcycle (now Spyder) when I could use my phone I told myself. Then I moved to Virgina. On weekends, I like to go get lost in the backroads of VA and West VA. Phones work great when you have signal. They even work decent when you don't have a signal...until you need to recalculate a route. I broke down and bought the Garmin Zumo 395LM. It was pretty expensive, but not as much as the bigger model. I have come to appreciate it and use it in conjunction with my iPhone. It makes suggestions on routes for motorcycles, tracks my fuel mileage, tells me when I enter a state that has a motorcycle helmet law (not that I take it off but its nice to know), and tells me distance to next gas station.

Was it worth the price? That's all relative and subjective. I can't answer that for you. What I will tell you, is having both the GPS and the phone has been invaluable to me and my riding style...just my two cents worth; and it didn't even cost you two cents

Can this GPS be installed using a 12 volt connection on the bike for power?