Spyder Garage

Default Can't find anything about "easy fix"

It probably has been posted, but I can't find if there is an easy or cheap fix for the "bad key" error code that I am getting on my 2009 RS. I have tried the remove key and take it at least 50 feet away for a while, and also disconnecting the battery for some time. If I have to, can I take the ignition and dess out, and get the key reprogrammed at a dealer? Since the bike won't start, I can't very well ride it anywhere to have it looked at. Probably going to be a problem, but wondering if anyone has had this error message and has any advice for me. Thanks
    2009 Red RS SE, red LED custom night lighting, red LED brake strips in back, unusual stereo fairing with 2/4" speakers,2/5" speakers and subwoofer in frunk, radio that has power outputs for cell phone and GPS, with GPS installed,4 inch risers, ultimate midrider seat with ostrich inlays, and spyder logo, heated hand grips, up and out mirror extensions, smoothspyder backrest, Seal floorboards, and maybe some stuff that I have not discovered yet.

Spyder Garage

Default Little checking..

there has been a lot on the subject but not on the later models such as yours. Do you have more than one key..? have you tried them both..? do you happen to have a non chipped key you are using by mistake..? There were some folks that found button pushing combinations and other methods to get it back to working but if the dess/ignition is failing it will happen again. If you can't find it searching through this site search through google and it will find it for you.....
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default BAD KEY

WOW - this issue has only become a problem since 2014 when they changed from the system on your Spyder to what is currently being used now .......If this a DESS module issue ..... This has worked for a temp fix - move the Spyder ( 25 ft if possible ) , remove any other electrical devices that can send a signal to the Spyder , then turn the key on-off 5 times rapidly....... Good luck , BUDS can search the computer log in the Spyder and identify the problem ........ Mike
    Last edited by BLUEKNIGHT911; 01-31-2017 at 01:03 PM.

Spyder Garage

Thanks for the information, I will try the moving the spyder 25 feet trick to see if that works. Also received a private message from the previous owner, and he said he has the spare key, and is going to send it to me. Here is hoping I get lucky!!!
    2009 Red RS SE, red LED custom night lighting, red LED brake strips in back, unusual stereo fairing with 2/4" speakers,2/5" speakers and subwoofer in frunk, radio that has power outputs for cell phone and GPS, with GPS installed,4 inch risers, ultimate midrider seat with ostrich inlays, and spyder logo, heated hand grips, up and out mirror extensions, smoothspyder backrest, Seal floorboards, and maybe some stuff that I have not discovered yet.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default 25 feet thing

Quote Originally Posted by hager-spider View Post
    Thanks for the information, I will try the moving the spyder 25 feet trick to see if that works. Also received a private message from the previous owner, and he said he has the spare key, and is going to send it to me. Here is hoping I get lucky!!!
    the 25 ft. move is just in case the area where the Spyder is stopped may have some electrical interference !!!! if it's your garage this may not be the case !!!! ...... Do the KEY on - off thing .............. and taking the key out and moving it 50 ft is a myth , the TRANSPONDER has a signal range of 1 ft. at the most ............. good luck ....Mike

Spyder Garage

Default What I did

Tried the 25 foot trick, with no luck. Will wait on the spare key to get here and see how that goes. Thanks for all of the information everyone!!!

Spyder Garage

If you have another key somehow attached to your Spyder key. That can cause your problem.

It is very possible that the transponder chip in the key has gone bad. So getting the spare key will be your fix. That just goes to show for you or anyone else reading this. You always need to have at least 2 working keys. If you don't it could get very expensive.

It is also possible that the DESS antenna wire has become unplugged from the the DESS. Have you done any work in that area recently?

The DESS module may have gone bad. Not really a common problem. Not really that hard to replace.

Highly unlikely but possible the DESS antenna has gone bad. Can be easily tested with an ohm meter. If it has gone bad. The ignition switch needs to be replaced. That gets expensive.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

The spare should work Get it cloned fast. Also note it has been found, if the key is too cold ,it will not work No need to get a torch out just up room temp.

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Spyder Garage

I am rebuilding my spyder, and that may have added to my problem. I will post pictures on the site when I get it finished. I am pretty sure I will have something that nobody has seen yet (on this site, or anywhere). Just in case you are wondering why I am doing this, it is because "I CAN" . I am sure I am not the only one that can't leave anything alone when I get it. Just can't tolerate "normal".

Quote Originally Posted by Bfromla View Post
    The spare should work Get it cloned fast. Also note it has been found, if the key is too cold ,it will not work No need to get a torch out just up room temp.