Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: cat bypass

Spyder Garage

Default cat bypass

Hello all you spyder lovers, any pro's or cons on installing a cat bypass with the original muffler? thanks for your comments.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by daviszoo1 View Post
    Hello all you spyder lovers, any pro's or cons on installing a cat bypass with the original muffler? thanks for your comments.
    I just ordered my bypass pipe so I'll be watching this!
    2015 F3s White

BRP Drivers and Passenger backrest
    Blue Ridge windshield
    Corbin Saddle Bags

Spyder Garage

Default Bypass

Quote Originally Posted by daviszoo1 View Post
    Lighter, better breathing, sounds good, cooler running. We see no cons, just pro!! Go for it!
    Joe Meyer

Dealer for the Outlaw/ROLO laser Alignment system

Spyder Garage

Default What he said....

all on the problem side but you have to be happy with a bit louder...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

For those that have installed the bypass pipe, who installed the baffle also? Just wondering if it is even needed or what is the benefit of installing the baffle also. Thanks

2017 F3 Limited in Intense Red Pearl

2008 Triumph Rocket (SOLD)

2002 Honda VTX 1800 C ( SOLD)

2014 Triumph Thunderbird Commander

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Ex-Rocket View Post
    For those that have installed the bypass pipe, who installed the baffle also? Just wondering if it is even needed or what is the benefit of installing the baffle also. Thanks
    I would have to say, that the baffle is not needed. While it makes it a bit louder, I thought it was a benefit, as it allowed me to hear the what the engine was doing better. It did lose a little low end power, but made up for it by having more mid-range, which is where most of ride, and it also gave me a couple of more miles per gallon. Either way you go will be beneficial, it is really your choice.

David

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you were?

Spyder Garage

I have the Lamonster bypass, with akrapovic exhaust... it sounds much throatier. I love it

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default For you, which was which?

Quote Originally Posted by Devious56 View Post
    I would have to say, that the baffle is not needed. While it makes it a bit louder, I thought it was a benefit, as it allowed me to hear the what the engine was doing better. It did lose a little low end power, but made up for it by having more mid-range, which is where most of ride, and it also gave me a couple of more miles per gallon. Either way you go will be beneficial, it is really your choice.

David
    Did you lose low end power with or without the baffle? And, did you have more mid-range with or without the baffle? I'm guessing you experimented quite a bit with the baffle both in and out, is that correct?

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

better low end power with baffle installed

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Marker View Post
    better low end power with baffle installed
    Thanks Marker. Do you have any knowledge of where on RPM scale the cat delete comes in and goes out, with and w/o the baffle? Most of my shift points are at or around 3k, depending on traffic.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 2dogs View Post
    Thanks Marker. Do you have any knowledge of where on RPM scale the cat delete comes in and goes out, with and w/o the baffle? Most of my shift points are at or around 3k, depending on traffic.
    Stock, the shift point is around 3000 to 3500.

With a Lamonster bypass pipe, no baffle and stock RT muffler, the bike pulls better and easier to a 4500 rpm shift point.

We have run the bypass pipe without baffle for a long time. The fuel logs indicate a miniscual increase in mpg. However, the bike pulls better into the mid. I was never one to run low 2000 rpm and expect the engine to pull the gear, so, we probably did lose some bottom.

Some of us like the different power output and sound, while others never enjoyed it and removed the bypass pipe.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Thanks PMK

Quote Originally Posted by PMK View Post
    Stock, the shift point is around 3000 to 3500.

With a Lamonster bypass pipe, no baffle and stock RT muffler, the bike pulls better and easier to a 4500 rpm shift point.

We have run the bypass pipe without baffle for a long time. The fuel logs indicate a miniscual increase in mpg. However, the bike pulls better into the mid. I was never one to run low 2000 rpm and expect the engine to pull the gear, so, we probably did lose some bottom.

Some of us like the different power output and sound, while others never enjoyed it and removed the bypass pipe.
    This is some good information. Not many folks pay that much attention to performance issues. After I install my bypass pipe I suspect I'll be under my spyder more than once removing and replacing the baffle. It's welcome to have a little guidance before I begin the process.

Spyder Garage

Default question

thanks to all for responding, I did not mention that we have a 2015 rt limited. that was my concern how the triple responds to the cat bypass. thanks

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Ex-Rocket View Post
    I had the bypass pipe with the baffle running the stock muffler on my '14 RTL. After the install it ran really good without any flat spots in the rpm range. I will say that after running it 9000 miles the bike was a louder than when I first put it on.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Yes, I do not like Cats or Snakes.

My Toyota Tacoma had cats too, but not anymore...

I don't like cats.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

That almost sounds like the start of a "Dr. Seuss" story...

Spyder Garage

Hey everyone. New spyder Rts owner here. So does anyone have any sound clips of the bypass and stock exhaust? I ran a search but I seem to be coming up empty handed.
    Sounds like the bypass is the way to go for sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SpyderLovers Sponsor
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Gallam03 View Post
    Hey everyone. New spyder Rts owner here. So does anyone have any sound clips of the bypass and stock exhaust? I ran a search but I seem to be coming up empty handed.
    Sounds like the bypass is the way to go for sure.

What year is your RT? The sound of the V-twin is totally different than the 1330. I wish I could make my 1330 sound like the v-twin but I can't.

2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

I have a 2016 so I have the 1330.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderAnn01 View Post
    What year is your RT? The sound of the V-twin is totally different than the 1330. I wish I could make my 1330 sound like the v-twin but I can't.
    I started out with a stock muffler and cat delete pipe with no baffle. I liked it, it seemed to make the RT (a 2015 Limited with 1330 motor) a bit peppier, a little better gas milage, with a little more sound. But that was still a bit quiter than I wanted.. I purchased a custom built SS exhaust from Pit Bull Power Sports for a good bit less than an Ackropovic muffler, now have better performance, and it is not uncommon to get 44 mpg. The sound, well, you decide, here's a little clip with the RPM going over 4,000 rpm.

Last edited by Devious56; 03-09-2017 at 03:12 PM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

That's a nice sound; Thanks for posting it!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    That's a nice sound; Thanks for posting it!
    Hey Bob, I thought this was a newer thread, I think I've posted that video before. I did put a baffle in this one, when You got some RPM's up it had a sharp edge to the sound that got tireing affer a while. I have a good number of folks tell me it really sounds good. To me, it's ok, but depends on the helmet I'm wearing, full face, open face, or half helmet, they all make the muffle sound different. Glad you like it.

David

Spyder Garage

Default Dyno difference with CAT bypass

I'm waiting for someone to master an easy dyno approach. I'm not sure the Cat bypass accomplishes anything. I've had a Motorcycle where someone gutted out the muffler for better free flow. It may help on the very top speed end but the bike had no power at lower rpm--couldn't shift into high gear below 45 mph, the engine needed the back pressure. I understand the concept or removing the Cat--but show mei linear proof on the dyno. Engines & power are a balanced system--increasing one component rarely helps.
    2015 F3's , two 12 volt power outlets Orange & Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Wildrice View Post
    I'm waiting for someone to master an easy dyno approach. I'm not sure the Cat bypass accomplishes anything. I've had a Motorcycle where someone gutted out the muffler for better free flow. It may help on the very top speed end but the bike had no power at lower rpm--couldn't shift into high gear below 45 mph, the engine needed the back pressure. I understand the concept or removing the Cat--but show mei linear proof on the dyno. Engines & power are a balanced system--increasing one component rarely helps.
    If you remover the other muffler (some people call it a catalytic converter but it really isn't) and leave the secondary muffler, you still have all the back pressure you need for proper performance. The computer will reset itself for correct fuel management, and I think my
    RT was a little peppier with the delete pipe added (prove me wrong) and I got better gas mileage, not to mention less heat. I will admit that I think I may have lost a little low end torque but, I was able to ride comfortably at 2,000 rpm at 35 mph as long as I didn't try to drag race some one with out down shifting. I was getting 34 to 38 mpg with the cat delete pipe compared to 32 to 36 with the stock set up. I say was, because I am now using a complete exhaust set up (Muffler and pipe) from Pit Bull Power sports and regularly get 44 / 45 mpg especially on group rides that are more sedate.

David