Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Back up monitor

Spyder Garage

Default Back up monitor

I want to put a back up camera and monitor and was looking to tie the wiring into the GPS power. It is right where i need it but was curious if I could run the GPS and the camera with overloading the fuse. It is a 4.3" lcd monitor. Has anyone dont this with success. I know the monitor has very little draw.

Thanks
    NEW 2016 RT-S Special Series Triple Black - ready for new toys to add
    OLD 2012 RT-S Pure Magnesium Metalic CB-Navigation-XM, Sway bar, Ultimate Tallboy

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

If you're backing up: you shouldn't need to power the GPS... Just shut it down, and everything should be fine.
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Default As I see it...

you would not use them both at the same time and if you do not for long so should be fine...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

i was looking to have the monitor on while riding so i had better view of traffic and lane changes
    NEW 2016 RT-S Special Series Triple Black - ready for new toys to add
    OLD 2012 RT-S Pure Magnesium Metalic CB-Navigation-XM, Sway bar, Ultimate Tallboy

Spyder Garage

Cool backup camera

Quote Originally Posted by cmar157 View Post
    i was looking to have the monitor on while riding so i had better view of traffic and lane changes
    How about some photos on your mounting job. I've always toyed with the idea of a backup camera.

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I want to put a back up camera and monitor and was looking to tie the wiring into the GPS power. It is right where i need it but was curious if I could run the GPS and the camera with overloading the fuse. It is a 4.3" lcd monitor. Has anyone dont this with success. I know the monitor has very little draw.

Thanks
    Take a look at the input power rating of both units. If you're thinking of connecting the BU monitor to the factory power supply for the GPS it is fused at 2 amps. The GPS power comes from the radio. Two amps is 24 watts so if the two together exceed 20 watts you might be asking for trouble.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

It would be awesome to have for a rear camera that would provide a 180 degree. Would love to get one of those. Hopefully, the vendors or Lamonster Garage can set up a video for this.

Spyder Garage

Default TV

I'VE OFTEN THOUGHT OF THIS MYSELF....
    I HAVE A SMALL 2.5" UNIT THAT WAS MOUNTED IN MY TUNDRA, AND I REPLACED IT WITH A 7" UNIT... THAT 2.5" UNIT MIGHT WORK WELL ON MY F3....
    PLEASE PROVIDE US WITH PICTURES OF YOURS ONCE THE JOB IS COMPLETED...
    DAN P
    SPYD3R

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Spyder Garage

Well there is some modification for the RT back up camera:

Part 2

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    If you're backing up: you shouldn't need to power the GPS... Just shut it down, and everything should be fine.
    Was not aware you had any Grandkids Bob!

Jack
    All my life I wanted to be somebody, now I realize I should have been more specific.
    2019 Specialized E-Bike COMO 2.0
    2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
    2018 Tiffin Phaeton 37BH Motorhome
    2015 BMW R1200R LC
    2014 RTL SE6 Pearl White
    2012 RT-622 trailer viper red
    2014 Look 7x12 motorcycle trailer silver and black
    2011 Polaris Ranger green
    2013 GMC Yukon Denali XL silver oak
    2016 Can Am Maverick

Spyder Garage

I did the back up camera actually a couple of them on a bike. The problem that you will find is that the reflection off everything makes it hard to see, I find you need a 7" monitor to see anything.

My recommendation on the Spyder is to put in a 30 amp line from the battery and then wire everything to it, off the grid so to speak.

One of the hardest decisions you'll ever face in life is choosing whether to walk away or try harder.

Spyder Garage

I saw a commercial about a licence plate frame that had a wireless back up camera. Probablly bluetouth to your phone on the Xmount.
    2017 F3 Limited
    2017 F3 Limited , Lamonster Black Dymond brake pedal with brake rod at #5 Pure Magnesium Metallic

Spyder Garage

Default Back up camera

I have done this to my 09 gs and it is great mounted the 4.3 monitor on the dash and powered with ign voltage,installed a bullet camera to the tail underneath and wired power into the tail light circuit,used wireles transmiter and receiver, now i have a center rear view. Feel a bit more safer
    Improvise, Adapt, Overcome, Semper Fi
    2020 RT
    Limited heated seats
    removable back rest & rack
    XK Glow light
    Paint with light painted panels
    (Gone but not forgotten ) 2009 RS SE5
    2020 RT , Chalk White

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jaherbst View Post
    Was not aware you had any Grandkids Bob!

Jack
    None here: my Missus is too young and sexy to be sleeping with anybody's Grampa!

Spyder Garage

Default YOU GOT ME

Thanks
    YOU GOT ME OFF MY BUTT....
    as i stated above/earlier, i was thinking of doing just this... i had this 2.5" unit sitting around that was once in my truck, but since replaced with a 7.5" unit... so yesterday, Saturday, i configured a mount to go on the handle-bar center piece, and today, Sunday, i stripped the Tuperware, and commenced to install my unit...
    here are some pix....
    20170128_141909.jpg 20170129_140732.jpg 20170129_140724.jpg
    Dan P
    SPYD3R

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Im still figuring out why u need a back up camera...lol

Sent from my LGLS675 using Tapatalk

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by amelectricdavid View Post
    Im still figuring out why u need a back up camera...lol
    Using the mirrors only doesn't always give you the field of view you need to back up safely. If you couple that with a rider who has neck problems and cannot turn their head around to see clearly behind them you have a very justifiable need for a BU camera. And a BU camera just plain gives you a better view of what's behind sometimes. I can see the value of having one, and maybe someday I'll get one, but it is just one more thing cluttering up the cockpit area of the bike.

I'd like to have one to see behind me on the highway when I'm pulling my 'tent on a trailer'. It blocks the stock mirrors and the add-on one I use vibrates a lot.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

These cameras may have been designed for use when backing up, but we're expanding their definition to inclue "rearward viewing".

Spyder Garage

Default all the X

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    These cameras may have been designed for use when backing up, but we're expanding their definition to inclue "rearward viewing".

mine will be on
    ALL THE TIME when motor is running....
    Dan P
    SPYD3R

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Ok ....here is what i have found for other vehicles...amazon sells cam. That bolts to license plate...wide angle fish eye cam. Also a. 12v transmitter the size of a zippo....both can b tied into run or reverse lites...simply. As long u have power at dash area...both unit r priced rite

Spyder Garage

Default ELECTIRCIAN

DO WE HAVE ANY ELECTRICIANS OUT THERE.....??????
    i need advise: on my Back-Up Camera, can i tie the camera & screen into the existing Running Lights of my F3 without having a ton of issues and codes flashing for the next decade....?
    any/all help is greatly appreciated...
    Dan P
    SPYD3R

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by pitzerwm View Post
    I did the back up camera actually a couple of them on a bike. The problem that you will find is that the reflection off everything makes it hard to see, I find you need a 7" monitor to see anything.

My recommendation on the Spyder is to put in a 30 amp line from the battery and then wire everything to it, off the grid so to speak.

I wear a Hi Viz jacket and scare myself every time I look at my GPS. 😂 Looking for a source of anti reflective film
    "If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a horrible warning." Catherine Aird

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

[QUOTE=amelectricdavid;1221849]Ok ....here is what i have found for other vehicles...amazon sells cam. That bolts to license plate...wide angle fish eye cam. Also a. 12v transmitter the size of a zippo....both can b tied into run or reverse lites...simply. As long u have power at dash area...both unit r priced rite. /QUOTE]

Do you have a link to these units?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by amelectricdavid View Post
    Ok ....here is what i have found for other vehicles...amazon sells cam. That bolts to license plate...wide angle fish eye cam. Also a. 12v transmitter the size of a zippo....both can b tied into run or reverse lites...simply. As long u have power at dash area...both unit r priced rite

So what type of cameras are recommended? And, I guess the 7 or 7.5 monitor would be better.