Thread: Very Rough Idle

Spyder Garage

Default Very Rough Idle

I've searched the forums and found some issues but wanted to get any fresh ideas. I feel pretty confidant that it's going to be ethanol gas as I have experienced these problems in the past with most of my small engines (lawnmower, 4 wheeler, chain saw, outboards, etc.) I for the most part only use ethanol free or add Sea Foam to the gas if not. Can't say that for the Spyder as I have filled up with ethanol in the past. We have been having "normal" weather in Southeast Louisiana this winter, 80 degrees and sun one day-Rainy and 19 degrees the next and plenty of humidity.
    It ran perfect 2 weeks ago. Cranked it up last weekend and it was spitting, sputtering and dying at idle. Throttle up to around 2000 and runs like a sewing machine. No check engine light or any other codes that I'm aware of. I added some Sea Foam to the tank yesterday and ran it a little while. No changes yet.
    And BTW, I love farmers but they need to grow corn to eat not burn. Just my opinion.
    Thanks in advance!!

Spyder Garage

Jabbo

Put fresh gas in it (ethanol Free) and take it out for a spin.

Cruzr Joe
    2018 F3 Limited, BRP Driver Backrest, Spyderpops Lighted Bump Skid, Dual Spyclops Light, Mirror Turn Signals, Laser Alignment, Engine LEDs, Fog Lights With Halo's, Cushion Handgrips, BRT LEDs, and Under Lighting, Lamonster IPS, (with Clock), F4 25" Vented Windshield with Wings, Airhawk "R" Cushions. Position 4 Brake setting, Short reach Handlebars, Dash Mounted Voltmeter and 12 Volt Plug. Set of 3rd pegs. Extended Passenger Seat. Exterior BRP Connect setup, Ultimate Trailer

Spyder Garage

Default Quick Check?

Are you positive it firing on all three cylinders?Sounds like when you speed up the engine it goes away

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default ETHANOL - GAS ??????

IMHO that would be the last thing I would guess as to the issue here...... You may gotten a tank of BAD gas but the Ethanol wasn't it...... Think about it ...... 85 % of Spyders are forced to use it because they have no choice. I have yet to hear that it was identified as the cause. The V-twins as they get older have had issues with the VACUUM HOSES but I haven't heard of this with the 1330 engine....... I agree with FRESH GAS , but I don't think it MUST be Ethy free.........Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Jabbo View Post
    I've searched the forums and found some issues but wanted to get any fresh ideas. I feel pretty confidant that it's going to be ethanol gas as I have experienced these problems in the past with most of my small engines (lawnmower, 4 wheeler, chain saw, outboards, etc.) I for the most part only use ethanol free or add Sea Foam to the gas if not. Can't say that for the Spyder as I have filled up with ethanol in the past. We have been having "normal" weather in Southeast Louisiana this winter, 80 degrees and sun one day-Rainy and 19 degrees the next and plenty of humidity.
    It ran perfect 2 weeks ago. Cranked it up last weekend and it was spitting, sputtering and dying at idle. Throttle up to around 2000 and runs like a sewing machine. No check engine light or any other codes that I'm aware of. I added some Sea Foam to the tank yesterday and ran it a little while. No changes yet.
    And BTW, I love farmers but they need to grow corn to eat not burn. Just my opinion.
    Thanks in advance!!
    Thanks Joe and Blue, I'll keep yall updated!!!

Spyder Garage

Default Have to agree...

Mike...
    there seems to be a manifold leak somewhere. Once you create more pressure it seals up and run fine..Let us know what you find..
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

I've heard there are problems with some vacuum lines

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis elliott View Post
    I've heard there are problems with some vacuum lines
    That's been the story with the 998s; we haven't heard that about the 1330s...

He's got a 2014 RT-L.
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black