Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Batteries, Tenders, Chargers and Jumping

Went to start my Spyder, turned the key and NADA, not a squeak, pip of light, or anything.

I have no garage and park on the street.

Found my handy dandy battery tender, and plugged it in. After no response indicating it was charged, I ordered a highly recommended battery from BatteryMart.

I was at the battery shop on another mission and chatted with the tech; he was thinking that the battery was so dead the tender didn't know it was there. Of course I can't find a receipt or warranty for it.

All of the above is a preface to my main questions:
    1. If the battery tender didn't recognize the battery, does it mean that the Spyder can't be jump-started with my car?

2. I don't remember if my parking brake was engaged when last I rode. Is there a way to dis-engage the parking brake when there is no electricity in the tryke?

3. Can't remember the 3rd question. Batteries on my my memory unit (brain) must be low.

Thanks in advanced for your wonderful advice.
    ~Sandee~

~Sandee~
    2016 RT-L (Purchased used in February 2018)
    RT Dash Mount (from JT's Spyder Store)
    Kuryakin Trident Highway Pegs
    Hopnel Pouch
    Magic Mirrors
    Spyderpops Foam Handgrips
    Iron Butt #35273
    Girls on Spyders #2779

Spyder Garage

Default Here's the thing....

tenders only maintain an exsisting charge. They will not charge a low or dead battery. Your battery may be fine and needs to be charged with a full charger. I have had the nephews leave things on and kill my battery several times and it is as good as new yet 4 years old.
    You can jump start it even dead. it will take a good while to charge up and stopping is a challenge. I carry a micro jumper that does the trick if it should happen on the road. Have jumped a lot of cars and bikes with it and it is only 8"x 3"x 2" and charges phones gps and computers as well...
    You can disconnect the cable on the park brake...good luck...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

If the battery is less than 10V. Then the gauge cluster will not boot or light up. Most modern battery maintainers or chargers will refuse to charge a battery less then 10 - 11V. So the battery store guy is correct.

Yes you can start it with booster cables. But do not try to start it right away. Wait 2 or 3 minutes for the onboard battery to take some charge first before trying.

To unset the parking brake with a dead battery. Hookup booster cables or booster pack first.

The longer the battery has been sitting dead. The more damage will have been done to the battery.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default ISSUES

Quote Originally Posted by sandeejs View Post
    Went to start my Spyder, turned the key and NADA, not a squeak, pip of light, or anything.

I have no garage and park on the street.

Found my handy dandy battery tender, and plugged it in. After no response indicating it was charged, I ordered a highly recommended battery from BatteryMart.

I was at the battery shop on another mission and chatted with the tech; he was thinking that the battery was so dead the tender didn't know it was there. Of course I can't find a receipt or warranty for it.

All of the above is a preface to my main questions:
    1. If the battery tender didn't recognize the battery, does it mean that the Spyder can't be jump-started with my car?

2. I don't remember if my parking brake was engaged when last I rode. Is there a way to dis-engage the parking brake when there is no electricity in the tryke?

3. Can't remember the 3rd question. Batteries on my my memory unit (brain) must be low.

~Sandee~
    with Chupaca, a Battery Maintainer does not have the power to start ....... If you use your CAR to start a Spyder ...DO NOT HAVE THE CAR RUNNING .... that battery has more than enough juice to start the Spyder .............. I don't know why you need the PARKING BRAKE OFF .... the Battery is not involved in keeping it on ....imho ...... and if / when you get it started a Battery Maintainer can bring it back but it will takes DAYS to do it....... Mike

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by sandeejs View Post

~Sandee~
    Don't know about the others but I have first hand knowledge with starting a dead one. No problem jumping with your car, truck, mower, tractor or anything else that has a 12V DC. Careful not to short anything.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

They've pretty-well got this covered for you.
    I know that it's too late for this year, but perhaps you should consider finding an indoor storage facility for it...
    One of those Antigravity 12-volt jump starters might be worth the investment.

https://shop.antigravitybatteries.com/
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Default Battery Size

Hey guys and gals,
    New to the forum and I am hoping this is the right spot, I am looking for the correct SIZE battery to replace mine on a 2013 STS.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Chupaca View Post
    tenders only maintain an exsisting charge. They will not charge a low or dead battery.
    That depends.....on how "low" it is and exactly what charger you have.
    IF the battery voltage is 8 V or above, most tenders should bring it back but it might take 24 hours or more.

IF it is stone cold dead, time to replace because even if you manage to get it charged it likely won't last long.

If you are going to troubleshoot things like this yourself, a multi-meter is a requirement.
    It is possible that one of the cables is just loose.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by chriswilds View Post
    Hey guys and gals,
    New to the forum and I am hoping this is the right spot, I am looking for the correct SIZE battery to replace mine on a 2013 STS.
    When wanting to ask a question. It is often best to start a new thread rather than hijack someone else's old thread. The information about your battery is on page 144 of your owners guide.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

I'm afraid that once a battery that size has been killed to that point,,, it will never be thrustworthy again. Even if you can charge it up. Of course there are always exeptions.
    Good luck.

SilverFox
    If you don't change anything,,,
    nothing is going to change!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Chupaca View Post
    tenders only maintain an exsisting charge. They will not charge a low or dead battery. Your battery may be fine and needs to be charged with a full charger. I have had the nephews leave things on and kill my battery several times and it is as good as new yet 4 years old.
    You can jump start it even dead. it will take a good while to charge up and stopping is a challenge. I carry a micro jumper that does the trick if it should happen on the road. Have jumped a lot of cars and bikes with it and it is only 8"x 3"x 2" and charges phones gps and computers as well...
    You can disconnect the cable on the park brake...good luck...

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    with Chupaca, a Battery Maintainer does not have the power to start ....... If you use your CAR to start a Spyder ...DO NOT HAVE THE CAR RUNNING .... that battery has more than enough juice to start the Spyder .............. I don't know why you need the PARKING BRAKE OFF .... the Battery is not involved in keeping it on ....imho ...... and if / when you get it started a Battery Maintainer can bring it back but it will takes DAYS to do it....... Mike
    here too. Good advice to add to Chupaca's.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red