Thread: Antifreeze leak

GOS member (Girls On Spyders) ruthie's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Antifreeze leak

I have a 2014 RT, that I notice antifreeze on the garage floor after I have driven and ran the engine to see if it would have antifreeze under. Yes it did. Not much. What would be causing the leak?
    Thank you.

2014 RT SE6 Limited
    rYding Safe = Having Fun

Ruthie

Spyder Garage

I had a leak in my 2013 ST-S and it was on the Right side if I remember correctly. When I took the panel off I looked in and saw that one of the clamps on the coolant hose was the type you can adjust with a phillips head screw driver. That was the one that was leaking and when I tightened it the leak was gone. I know they are not the same motor but you may want to take a look at your hose connections.

Just Sayin'............
    Three in the garage, and I think I can fit at least one more in.....and then we will have to build another garage.
    The roads in NY are so bad that I am glad we bought a Ryker Rally

Just sayin'............

Spyder Garage

Default Bad clamps

Mine is in the shop as we speak having the clamps replaced under warranty. I kept finding small amounts of coolant under Spyder. It's apparently a known issue in the 14's
    2022 RT Limited Dark Hyper Silver
    2014 RT-S Pearl White
    2010 BRP 622 Trailer Pearl White

Spyder Garage

My RS-S pees on the floor. Mine was hose clamp, small near the water pump. Mostly on cold temperature cycles when not ridden. The long term red antifreeze tends to leak more?
    If I can't fix it, I will fix it so no one can fix it. Sypder Loco!

Spyder Garage

The clamp works its way loose over time. I have to periodically check and tighten it.

I've never figured out why that one clamp is a worm type and all the rest are the crimp type. Next time I change antifreeze, I may change the clamp.
    Trb-- (Roger)

2014 Cognac STL:Ultimate Seat, Nelson Rigg Tail Pack, Nelson Rigg RS/ST Half Cover, TL fender lights, Squared Away Laser Alignment, BajaRon sway bar and links, Akropovic Sport Silencer
    2022 White Pearl F3T
    Gone but not forgotten: 2019 F3S Special Series Liquid Titanium

Spyder States Visited

Spyder Garage

Default Crimp style clamps are the ones failing

Quote Originally Posted by Trbayth View Post
    The clamp works its way loose over time. I have to periodically check and tighten it.

I've never figured out why that one clamp is a worm type and all the rest are the crimp type. Next time I change antifreeze, I may change the clamp.
    Roger, apparently according to the service tech, the crimp style are the ones they see failing on the 14's
    2014 RT-S Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Brentc View Post
    Roger, apparently according to the service tech, the crimp style are the ones they see failing on the 14's
    Hmm, interesting. Haven't had any problems with any of the crimp clamps. I think they're used in all years, not just the 14's. Can anyone confirm or refute that?
    Trb-- (Roger)

2014 Cognac STL:Ultimate Seat, Nelson Rigg Tail Pack, Nelson Rigg RS/ST Half Cover, TL fender lights, Squared Away Laser Alignment, BajaRon sway bar and links, Akropovic Sport Silencer
    2022 White Pearl F3T
    Gone but not forgotten: 2019 F3S Special Series Liquid Titanium

Spyder States Visited

Spyder Garage

Default It's gotta be true....

Quote Originally Posted by Trbayth View Post
    Hmm, interesting. Haven't had any problems with any of the crimp clamps. I think they're used in all years, not just the 14's. Can anyone confirm or refute that?

Its. gotta be true, you just read it on the Internet..........
    2014 RT-S Pearl White

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Mine is at the dealer for the third time. They found the leak this morning. It is a connection that we could not see. The clamps have been changed out and the bottom of the bike cleaned up. For quite awhile it appeared to be coming out of the overflow and was more barometric pressure related. I am picking it up in the morning. The problem I have now is that my wife doesn't trust it go on trips. That will be another bridge to cross. I am sure she will help me coming up with a remedy.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default leak

Our 2011 RT leaks on the right side also. It leaks a little when it sets for awhile. A lot has to do with the cheep squeeze clamps they use on the hoses. Change them out to the screw clamps. That should help. You still may get a cold water leak every now and then Bui no worries.

Spyder Garage

Ours is doing this as well, second time. Our leak is from the upper hose at the T where the split between the two radiators is. Not sure if we still have warranty coverage yet.
    Ride Safe All
    2014 RT Limited (Charlotte) in Cognac, Kuryakyn Grips,Tri-Axis Handle Bars, Rivco Armrests, a "finless" BT Dongle, TricLed Fender, Saddlebag, 3rd & 4th brake Lights, Custom Dynamics "Magic Strobes Brake Flasher", BajaRon Sway Bar & Spring Adjusters, Lighted Bumpskid, Rivco Highway Pegs, Rivco Cup Holders and Baker Built Air Wings. 215/60R-15 General Altimax Rt rear tire. 155/60R15 Kumho Solus front tires.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by kngfsh27 View Post
    Mine is at the dealer for the third time. They found the leak this morning. It is a connection that we could not see. The clamps have been changed out and the bottom of the bike cleaned up. For quite awhile it appeared to be coming out of the overflow and was more barometric pressure related. I am picking it up in the morning. The problem I have now is that my wife doesn't trust it go on trips. That will be another bridge to cross. I am sure she will help me coming up with a remedy.
    Got it home and it seemed to be fine. Wife did find a remedy that she is good with.
    DSC01971.jpgDSC01970.jpg