Spyder Garage

Default Service suggestions

I have a 2013 ST-S, just under 10,000 miles, 3.5 years old.

I've done the normal oil/trans filters/oil changes myself and have done an alignment, brake pads and rear tire change myself. Also have flushed the brake fluid myself.

Thinking if I should have it serviced for things I'm missing?

Plugs I could probably do myself if required already?

I've read a little about rear wheel bearings going bad, should I have that checked and then re-aligned?

Coolant flush?

Anything else of importance I should have checked on a low mileage bike?

Spyder Garage

Change the coolant. You can probably do that yourself also. The owners manual calls for that every 2 years. I did mine at 4 and it was definitely shot. One caveat tho I have never heard anybody here mention this.On the 998s and maybe the 1330s but don't know about them the drain plug tap is not braised into the radiator only a press fit. My dealer told me that they have had a few come out when removing the plug. To fix this they have had to remove the radiator and and go to a radiator shop to have it properly brazed in place. They remove the bottom hose to drain the coolant.
    Now as I have said I have not heard of anyone on here say anything about this and there are a lot of do it yourselfers and I am sure that more then one has replaced their coolant,so maybe it is only a problem with the mechanic at my dealership,but still forewarned and all that.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

Default Try this....

Your owners manual has a list of what they feel should be done. Do what you feel comfortable with and tell the dealer just what you want done...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

I changed my rear bearings when I did my first rear tire change, on my '08 GS, at 11,000 miles. I think the first ones were the ones having the problem, but I think you are good to go. I would suggest the next time you change the rear tire, to check your three bearings for any wear. You shouldn't have to have a new alignment when changing the rear tire, if you remove the belt and dont move the adjusters. Changing plugs are not that hard. ( I need to change my break fluid, so I may be getting in touch with you for some pointers.)
    Good luck

....and we're gonna ride, we're gonna ride.....

ride like the one-eyed Jack of Diamonds, with
    the devil close behind,.....we're gonna ride....

2008 GS.....PE # 2888

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by pegasus1300 View Post
    Change the coolant.
    On the 998s and maybe the 1330s but don't know about them the drain plug tap is not braised into the radiator only a press fit. My dealer told me that they have had a few come out when removing the plug. To fix this they have had to remove the radiator and and go to a radiator shop to have it properly brazed in place. They remove the bottom hose to drain the coolant.
    Now as I have said I have not heard of anyone on here say anything about this and there are a lot of do it yourselfers and I am sure that more then one has replaced their coolant,so maybe it is only a problem with the mechanic at my dealership,but still forewarned and all that.
    When changing the coolant, just remove the lower hose. I've heard of all too many drain plugs breaking off.

....and we're gonna ride, we're gonna ride.....

ride like the one-eyed Jack of Diamonds, with
    the devil close behind,.....we're gonna ride....

2008 GS.....PE # 2888

Spyder Garage

Change the coolant. You can probably do that yourself also. The owners manual calls for that every 2 years. I did mine at 4 and it was definitely shot. One caveat tho I have never heard anybody here mention this.On the 998s and maybe the 1330s but don't know about them the drain plug tap is not braised into the radiator only a press fit. My dealer told me that they have had a few come out when removing the plug. To fix this they have had to remove the radiator and and go to a radiator shop to have it properly brazed in place. They remove the bottom hose to drain the coolant.

Wow, thanks for the tip!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Chupaca View Post
    Your owners manual has a list of what they feel should be done. Do what you feel comfortable with and tell the dealer just what you want done...

I know they throw in lots of stuff, I'll look again at it but was worried more about what others found important.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Big Arm View Post
    When changing the coolant, just remove the lower hose. I've heard of all too many drain plugs breaking off.

Yeah, that sounds like a big ordeal to fix too.

Spyder Garage

Don't waste your time or money on valve checks. They are recommended at 14K intervals. The dealers charge $800 extra. I actually did two. One at 14K on one and one at 28K on the other. Neither needed adjusting. $1,600 out the door. I am not planning on doing it on my 2011 until at least 50K. I know there are some dealers out there that charge for the service and don't even turn a screwdriver in the process. DIY--will save you money, but I don't think it is a worthy issue.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Thanks

It will take me a long time to get to 14,000 miles lol

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Coolant change...
    Brake fluid change
    Rear wheel bearings at every other tire change: they should easily last 20,000 or more miles.

(Don't forget the headlight fluid! )
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Coolant change...
    Brake fluid change
    Rear wheel bearings at every other tire change: they should easily last 20,000 or more miles.

(Don't forget the headlight fluid! )

Okay, I've found some blinker fluid, but been searching for days and can't find any headlight fluid.

Spyder Garage

Grabbed a few parts from Bajaron's.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SNOOPY View Post
    Okay, I've found some blinker fluid, but been searching for days and can't find any headlight fluid.
    Try EBay...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SNOOPY View Post
    Many years ago, my dad sent my blond sister to the friendly parts store for a "left handed pipe wrench." Joke was on him though when they sold her one and she brought it home. Parts guy said he laughed and laughed as he gave it to her.

Same sister that that put rocks on fence posts to remember which way to turn on a country road. My brother and I had fun moving them to get her lost. Painted one red and gave it to her for Christmas one year.
    Rawhide Kid
    2014 Spyder RT Limited. Cognac
    Goodyear, AZ

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Try EBay...
    Checked on E-bay, currently out of stock and on back order Dale

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Rawhide kid View Post
    Many years ago, my dad sent my blond sister to the friendly parts store for a "left handed pipe wrench." Joke was on him though when they sold her one and she brought it home. Parts guy said he laughed and laughed as he gave it to her.

Same sister that that put rocks on fence posts to remember which way to turn on a country road. My brother and I had fun moving them to get her lost. Painted one red and gave it to her for Christmas one year.

Spyder Garage

Maaany years ago now, I was behind the counter in a hardware store when a painter on a local job sent his new, straight outta school gofer kid down to get 'a can of striped paint for a barber's pole' (that gives you an idea of how long ago it was, doesn't it!!)

I duly & very carefully mixed up a can of paint & sent him off, telling him not to shake it much or he'd mix up all the stripes; only to have him bring it back 20 minutes later to tell me his boss was as mad as a cut snake about it & that he 'wanted his money back, cos this paint isn't striped!'

Sooo, I opened the can, took a quick look inside, put the lid back on & handed it back to him, telling him to take it back & tell his boss that he couldn't have his money refunded since he was the fool who'd put the paint on the pole with the 'inside' showing instead of the stripes!!

Boss came in later, still laughing over it, to say 'well played!' Gofer kid was never caught out again - he's now a pretty damn good Master Painter, & if he sees me on the street, he still always shakes his head & says "bloody can of striped paint for a Barber's pole!"
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 02-16-2017 at 09:09 PM.

Spyder Garage

Did the antifreeze change, spark plugs and wires and a brake fluid flush over the weekend.

All very easy.

Saw the notes about disconnecting the bottom rad hose instead of the drain plug because people were breaking radiators...I put a wrench on mine and tapped the handle a couple times just to see if it would break/open easy...and it did with no issue.

And think the plugs and wires even cleared up some low speed sputtering I had.

Spyder Garage

I got lucky (so to say)fyi my thermostat had developed a leak still under warranty with only 25k miles & my shop was able to do the coolant flush at the time of repair was just within the window of replacement timeframe. Was advised not to try the plug but rather remove the lower hose. Only problem there is the Otiker clamps (crimp on) that I had no tools or knowledge of. 998 also fyi

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights