Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default I am tearing into it for the first time today

Went to Stealer yesterday for a quote for the 14500 mile maintenance. Well over $1,000 with labor costs of $150 per hour. That was quite troubling for me

So, I'm going to do it myself and I'm tearing into it as I type. The Tupperware is coming off.

Wish me luck.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Take it slow and easy!

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Spyder Garage

I did the first oil change, took about an hour. The rest is not going to be much harder.
    Jim

2013 ST-S (wife's)
    2015 BMW R1200GS (mine)
    1981 Yamaha XS400 Scrambler Custom (mine)

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default MAINTENANCE

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderUSA View Post
    Went to Stealer yesterday for a quote for the 14500 mile maintenance. Well over $1,000 with labor costs of $150 per hour. That was quite troubling for me

So, I'm going to do it myself and I'm tearing into it as I type. The Tupperware is coming off.

Wish me luck.
    I don't go to the Stealers for anything either ...... Make sure you keep good records, you are covered by the Moss - Magnussen Act ( a law ) that prevents Manufactures from denying Warranties just because you do your own work !!!!!! ....... good luck, it's not rocket science ........ Mike

Very Active Member Bam Bam and Pebbles's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Just take your time and make sure you keep all the bolts with the panels they attach to. It is a little daunting at first, but once you do it, it gets easier each time. The amount of money you save is secondary to the satisfaction you'll feel from doing the job yourself.

Current Ride
    2015 RT-S SM6 Cocaine
    Pearl White
    Diamond R Web Armrests
    Shorty Windshield

Previous Ride
    2012 RT SM5 The Beast
    Pure Magnesium Metallic

Spyder Garage

Default JR.

THESE THINGS ARE HARLEY JUNIORS WHEN IT COMES TO 'CO$T' OF MAINTENANCE.....
    MY DEALER HERE IN THE UPSTATE OF SoCar IS $113 hr....
    THEY REASON FOR THE HIGHER PRICES I WAS TOLD, IS THAT THEY HAVE TO TAKE OFF ALL THE TUPERWARE.... WELL I HAVE AN F3 AND T'WARE IS MINIMAL COMPARED TO THE RS/RT GUYS.....
    DITTO ON DOING IT YOURSELF, I DO TOO....
    GOOD LUCK, AND KEEP US POSTED....
    DAN P
    SPYD3R

Spyder Garage

When you get down into the bowels of your Spyder, if you feel it necessary take pictures with your phone so you can remember sequences of disassembly/assembly.
    Wow, $150/hr for labor! Where does the Stealer hide the gun?
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

Default d i y

Consider using an egg carton or ice cube tray for the small bits and pieces to keep them all in sequence and order.

Spyder Garage

150 hour ! That's the highest rate I've seen posted .
    Happy Owner

Spyder Garage

The valve check is not that hard to do BUT if you need to adjust and add spacers, that is a larger job!
    Also make sure you have some parts that you should replace like exhaust seal, valve cover seals, etc...

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black
    Bought June 2013 with 450 miles. 27K on 8-1-2017.
    Farkles - DIY Trunk Break Light, HMT Break Light, DIY Mirror Turn Signal Lights, DIY Bluetooth Dongle, DIY iPod Setup, DIY Alarm System Install, Show Chrome front fender / rear saddle bag lights, 4th break light around the trunk, Vented Windshield, Baja Ron Sway Bar, DIY GPS setup, Smooth Spyder, BRP Chrome Mirrors, Adjustable deflectors, Triaxis handlebars, NVB Pegs, Bad Boy Airhorn... More to come
    2011 RT-S SM5 , Baja Ron Black

Spyder Garage

Default Making progress

Thanks for all the great advice. I have the Tupperware off. It's amazing how much stuff they stuff under that plastic. So far so good. Air box removal is next.

Very Active Member Bam Bam and Pebbles's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by finless View Post
    The valve check is not that hard to do BUT if you need to adjust and add spacers, that is a larger job!
    Also make sure you have some parts that you should replace like exhaust seal, valve cover seals, etc...

Bob
    My dealer doesnt do the valve checks. They said they never have had to adjust them so they stopped doing it. They also took $100 dollars off the service price. Only $200 for the first oil change and service. I had them do the first service so they could put the Gold Plugs in. The rest I am doing myself.

Current Ride
    2015 RT-S SM6 Cocaine
    Pearl White
    Diamond R Web Armrests
    Shorty Windshield

Previous Ride
    2012 RT SM5 The Beast
    Pure Magnesium Metallic

Spyder Garage

Do what JayBros said, take pictures. A video as you work is always good. When it's all over, you may have a good laugh.
    2011 RTS (Sold to a very nice lady)
    1998 Honda Valkyrie
    2006 Mustang GT. Varooooom!
    US Navy Veteran
    SC Law Enforcement Boat Captain
    CNC Machine Service Technician
    President: Rolling Thunder SC1
    Member: Disabled American Veterans, Rock Hill, SC
    Member: American Legion
    Experience is recognizing the same mistake every time you make it!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JayBros View Post
    When you get down into the bowels of your Spyder, if you feel it necessary take pictures with your phone so you can remember sequences of disassembly/assembly.
    Wow, $150/hr for labor! Where does the Stealer hide the gun?
    I'd ask if I had to bring my own KY jelly

I once asked the service manager for a kiss "I told him I'd like a little loving when I got screwed" He made an adjustment to the invoice.

One of the hardest decisions you'll ever face in life is choosing whether to walk away or try harder.

Spyder Garage

That rate was from Flatout Motorsports Indianapolis, Indiana. I told them they were smoking wacky tobaccy!

Spyder Garage

Default Service Rates

Quote Originally Posted by fastfraser View Post
    150 hour ! That's the highest rate I've seen posted .
    That's what we pay here in Manitoba. Enns Powersports is the ONLY dealer in the whole province. Sigh .....
    2014 ST Limited

Spyder Garage

Default Val;ve check = redundant

Quote Originally Posted by Bam Bam and Pebbles View Post
    My dealer doesnt do the valve checks. They said they never have had to adjust them so they stopped doing it. They also took $100 dollars off the service price. Only $200 for the first oil change and service. I had them do the first service so they could put the Gold Plugs in. The rest I am doing myself.
    Last year my 2014 ST Limited was due for the valve check routine. I looked at a number of posts on this forum and others and decided the procedure wasn't required. In sending my e-mail to the dealership for what I DID want done I purposely noted in BOLD HIGHLIGHT that the valve check would not be done, due to the "feedback" on various forums. I also indicated that if they had an issue with not having that work done, they were to reply. They did not and that e-mail is now on file with my other Spyder papers.
    2014 ST Limited

Spyder Garage

Default tearing into it for the first time

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderUSA View Post
    That rate was from Flatout Motorsports Indianapolis, Indiana. I told them they were smoking wacky tobaccy!

Soon to be legal in a community close to you!!!
    All the great movements in the world began with a cup of coffee!

2018 F3-T

My mods: Can am Trailer hitch, USB and 12 volt power outlets, Gustason windshield, Bead rider seat cushion, battery harness for electric gear and battery tender, Time out trailer.
    2018 F3-T , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

That is crazy expensive for a mechanic labor fee. I get 1/6 of that an hour and I build airliners
    2014 RS+ , Excel 8.8 and NGK plugs Currently pearl white, Aircraft gray after rivets installed

Spyder Garage

What are you tearing into if I may ask that would cost that much

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MurrayBrown View Post
    Last year my 2014 ST Limited was due for the valve check routine. I looked at a number of posts on this forum and others and decided the procedure wasn't required. In sending my e-mail to the dealership for what I DID want done I purposely noted in BOLD HIGHLIGHT that the valve check would not be done, due to the "feedback" on various forums. I also indicated that if they had an issue with not having that work done, they were to reply. They did not and that e-mail is now on file with my other Spyder papers.

Theres a reason the 1330 never needs it...... they are hydraulic and don't require adjustments. Don't let the stealer tell you they do.

Spyder Garage

BRP put out an update for the 1330. No valve adjust needed! Can't find muy list of others but trans filter was one item not needed every change. Dealer here says visual inspections are about all they do. Almost never seen a problem after 14K.

Spyder Garage

Default Way to go.....

Shop manual in hand and you will be fine. Take your time, as mentioned, and walk away from time to time... you'll do well....
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Very Active Member armyspydervet's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    I don't go to the Stealers for anything either ...... Make sure you keep good records, you are covered by the Moss - Magnussen Act ( a law ) that prevents Manufactures from denying Warranties just because you do your own work !!!!!! ....... good luck, it's not rocket science ........ Mike

Mike,

I have a dumb question. I read the Wikipedia version of the act and did not see where it mentions a person cannot void a warranty if they do their own maintenance. Assuming you are correct, you know more about this than I do, my question pertains to a comment in the California page where USSOLDIER stated that dealers in California are refusing to do maintenance or warranty work if a Spyder has after market parts installed. Wouldn't those policies be a violation of the act?
    Chris

2016 F3-T SE6

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default MAYBE

Quote Originally Posted by armyspydervet View Post
    Mike,

I have a dumb question. I read the Wikipedia version of the act and did not see where it mentions a person cannot void a warranty if they do their own maintenance. Assuming you are correct, you know more about this than I do, my question pertains to a comment in the California page where USSOLDIER stated that dealers in California are refusing to do maintenance or warranty work if a Spyder has after market parts installed. Wouldn't those policies be a violation of the act?
    I like Wikipedia,( I'm sure it's a very condensed version ) but understand they can't answer questions involving the unknown !!!! ..... If an owner changes the Brake fluid or Anti-freeze etc. and uses a product that doesn't even come close to OEM SPECS well this won't meet Warranty requirements and the M-M act won't protect them................ It would be tantamount to using Diesel instead of Gasoline and making a warranty claim for engine failure - not going to fly ............. As far as Calif. is concerned ..... I won't even comment about what they do out there ....... Mike