Thread: Belt Alignment

Spyder Garage

Default Belt Alignment

I changed my tire a couple of weeks ago and finally got a good ride in. However, when I ride it appears the belt is on the inside edge of the tire sprocket hub. I did not move my tensioners and I am not sure if it is rubbing to much or not. Before the tire change, the belt looked like it was in the same position however I think I smell a faint rubber burn. Not sure if it is the new tire or the actual belt. I can pull the belt to the outer edge of both sprockets (drive sprocket and tire sprocket) and it will move right back to the inside of the tire hub and the inside of the drive sprocket. Should I leave it as it is or move the tensioner to get it a millimeter away from the inside tire sprocket?

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Spyder 10 View Post
    I changed my tire a couple of weeks ago and finally got a good ride in. However, when I ride it appears the belt is on the inside edge of the tire sprocket hub. I did not move my tensioners and I am not sure if it is rubbing to much or not. Before the tire change, the belt looked like it was in the same position however I think I smell a faint rubber burn. Not sure if it is the new tire or the actual belt. I can pull the belt to the outer edge of both sprockets (drive sprocket and tire sprocket) and it will move right back to the inside of the tire hub and the inside of the drive sprocket. Should I leave it as it is or move the tensioner to get it a millimeter away from the inside tire sprocket?
    The belt needs to be away from the flange. Somewhere near the middle of the sprocket is good even the though the spec is 1 to 3 mm. I can't agree with the argument that is made here quite often that not messing with the tensioner blocks will get the belt back to where it was. Most of the time, probably, but not all the time. I ended up having to adjust the tracking after I changed my rear tire. In my case the simple act of tightening the axle nut moved the axle enough to upset the alignment. Search for my name and alignment to see my post about it. If you can't find it let me know and I'll look for it.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Spyder 10 View Post
    Double check the belt tension, very important. In the previous posting it was noted that alignment should always be checked, just a minor movement in the axle position can cause major misalignment.

Good Luck

Spyder Garage

Default Test

Jack up rear tire. Spin tire by hand forward 10 revolutions. Check belt. Spin backwards 10 revolutions. If belt migrates the axle is not square in the swing arm. Loosen axle nut, tighten the left swing arm axle adjuster one flat. Snug nut, spin tire 10 X in each direction. Normally one or two flats of the Allen gets it done. If you need help, call me. Joe
    Joe Meyer

Dealer for the Outlaw/ROLO laser Alignment system

Very Active Member Roadster Renovations's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I problem I first had when doing tire changes, etc. was that the right adjuster would loosen slightly when I tightened the axle bolt/nut down. I learned to use a plastic beaded hammer to tap the axle nut gently so I had no play in either adjuster. That has always worked for me. I bet if you check, one of the adjustment lugs (where the allen wrench goes) will have a little play.
    At a rally in North Carolina last year, we had to adjust a ryders' belt 17 times before we pulled it off the shoulder of the rear sprocket. It was 2 1/2 turns in on the right side. Worse I had ever seen. He also complained of a rubber burning smell and you could see the edge of the belt was chuffed.
    Good luck!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Humphreys View Post
    I problem I first had when doing tire changes, etc. was that the right adjuster would loosen slightly when I tightened the axle bolt/nut down. I learned to use a plastic beaded hammer to tap the axle nut gently so I had no play in either adjuster. That has always worked for me. I bet if you check, one of the adjustment lugs (where the allen wrench goes) will have a little play.

That is exactly what I do, due to play in the tensioners.
    2008 GS SM5, Full Moon Silver
    2007 Piaggio MP3 - 250cc

Spyder Garage

I got the same problem and even though on my 08 gs i correct it my self, this time ill take it to the dealer! Funny! I check out a slingshot n the pulley has flanges on both sides!

Very Active Member Roadster Renovations's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by lou49 View Post
    I got the same problem and even though on my 08 gs i correct it my self, this time ill take it to the dealer! Funny! I check out a slingshot n the pulley has flanges on both sides!
    What kind of length was the belt on the SS? Longer than ours?