Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Potential Around Minnesota ride

With my Spyder snowed in (inside storage) I've been playing on the computer too much and I came up with this potential road trip that takes a rider all the way around Minnesota. As little interstate as possible, never crossing a border or state line, likely a minimum 2 day trip, maybe a long weekend 3/3.5 day trip. Has the Minnesota chapter ever done a ride like this?
    Anyone else interested in trying this in 2017?

Here's the link to the google Map (you can exclude the leg from Faribault to Wabasha)
    Google Maps short URL is https://goo.gl/maps/TnM8Lmk96BT2

Around MN.JPG
    Safe Rides,
    David and Sharon Goebel
    Both Retired USAF Veterans
    2018 Anniversary Edition RT Limited
    Baja Ron ultimate swaybar. Vredestein tires, Baja Ron Front Shock Pre-load adjusters, Pedal Box, See my Spyder Garage
    IBA 70020

Spyder Garage

Sounds like a new idea. As a former Minnesotan, I think it looks interesting. Contact the locals as they do many great rides during the year.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Default Minnesota ride

That ride would put you right near where I am. If you do it I might be interested in riding a bit when you are in the Southwestern part. Riding south from Wabasha is part of the Great River Road, and is a nice ride along the Mississippi. Have riden that area a few times.
    David Petrick
    Certified Professional Photographer
    2020 Limited Dark , Magma Red Black

Spyder Garage

David, It is a nice ride along the river, we've done Hastings to La Cross, back to Hastings staying as close to the river on both sides and really enjoyed it, planning on a start in La Cross this spring and looping up and back, I think the lighting will be better that way.

I'll make a note to double check with you if you'd like to meet up along the way IF/When we/I do this Around MN ride.
    Safe Rides,
    David and Sharon Goebel
    Baja Ron ultimate swaybar. Vredestein tires, Baja Ron Front Shock Pre-load adjusters, Pedal Box, See my Spyder Garage
    IBA 70020

Spyder Garage

Minnesota is a beautiful state with a large variety of terrains and scenery. I lived in both Minneapolis and Duluth. Traveled the whole state for my company. IMO--the state has something for everyone. I have been to all four corners and everything in between. Highly recommend exploring any previously unexplored territory.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by DGoebel View Post
    With my Spyder snowed in (inside storage) I've been playing on the computer too much and I came up with this potential road trip that takes a rider all the way around Minnesota. As little interstate as possible, never crossing a border or state line, likely a minimum 2 day trip, maybe a long weekend 3/3.5 day trip. Has the Minnesota chapter ever done a ride like this?

Here's the link to the google Map (you can exclude the leg from Faribault to Wabasha)

Around MN.JPG
    David,

A few years ago I had the idea to try to do that ride in one day. Made it to three of the corners before we ran out of time. Started from the southeastern corner across to the southwestern corner then over to Webester, SD to pick up Kathy. We then headed north, but missed my turn and hit the border where I turned around. Big mistake as the US boarder guards considered us a threat and detained us for close to two hours. Crossing northern MN takes a long time and with the lost two hours called it a day at International Falls.

I would be interested it doing the ride again, but taking two days.

Les
    2021 Sea To Sky, 2020 RTL

Isn't it weird that in AMERICA our flag and our culture offend so many people......
    but our benefits don't?
    2015 F3S , White & Blue

Spyder Garage

If you combine all my different trips through out our beautiful state I have did that route just not as a single trip many things to see so take your time to view the different attractions along the way. I grew up just west of where you live, on a farm in Vernon Center but now live in the Red River Valley east of Moorhead so if you post when you plan to do the trip my wife and I like to meet you for coffee.

Spyder Garage

My dance card is filling up fast with several long rides. My life will also be a bit complicated with a downsizing move this summer. I don't think I could do it in two days, I might need three. BUT I am willing to look at it when the dates and times are posted!!

Spyder Garage

Default just a suggestion

at Wheaton take 27 to Browns Valley 28 to Beardsley and 7 to Ortonville and back on 75 good roads less traffic and more interesting scenery will take alittle more time but it is worth it I feel.

Very Active Member Buckeye Bleau's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I love visiting Minnesota been snowed in there more than once but summers, both days are beautiful.

I cannot help myself on this one. You are missing a part of the state. It is some county or little plot of land across the lake, only accessible from Canada, via land. It is just very odd border construction.

i know not what it is called or why it is Minnesota as it is just SE of Winnipeg. I have pointed it out some Minnesota residents and they did not know about it either. What is it and would this exclusion negate the ride around the state? I am only asking!

Joe
    U.S. Army Viet Nam Era Vet
    2013 Spyder RT-L, Black Currant
    Trunk mount dual SS flag holder
    TricLed foam hand grips (awesome)
    Chromed Soaring Eagle License Holder
    Utopia Deluxe driver backrest
    LED fender lighting
    Fast Flash LED brake light
    Spyder Pops LED/skid plate

Spyder Garage

Default Crossing the border not included

Quote Originally Posted by Buckeye Bleau View Post
    I love visiting Minnesota been snowed in there more than once but summers, both days are beautiful.

I cannot help myself on this one. You are missing a part of the state. It is some county or little plot of land across the lake, only accessible from Canada, via land. It is just very odd border construction.

i know not what it is called or why it is Minnesota as it is just SE of Winnipeg. I have pointed it out some Minnesota residents and they did not know about it either. What is it and would this exclusion negate the ride around the state? I am only asking!

Joe
    Joe, The Northwest Angle you refer to is indeed Minnesota land accessible by boat without crossing borders, but I know of no ferry that would take Spyders over there from "Mainland" Minnesota, so we'd have to cross into Canada by Warroad and part of the rides' concept was not crossing any boarders, staying on Minnesota roads the whole way. Our family has vacationed at Angle Inlet, MN, the northernmost US community in the Lower 48, great fish dinners there fished out of Lake of the Woods. Interesting Fishing guidance up there where out on the lake you can inadvertently cross the border quite easily. We fished out of Zippel Bay State park one year and were the only campers in one of the camping loops of about 30 spots. Nice quiet northwoods experience...
    Safe Rides,
    David and Sharon Goebel
    IBA 70020

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by rustynail51 View Post
    at Wheaton take 27 to Browns Valley 28 to Beardsley and 7 to Ortonville and back on 75 good roads less traffic and more interesting scenery will take alittle more time but it is worth it I feel.
    RustyNail I'll definitely let you know our plans and will include your suggested route on the trip IF/When we make this ride. Looking forward to seeing you on this trip!
    Safe Rides,
    David and Sharon Goebel
    IBA 70020

Spyder Garage

Les and Paul (oh, if you two guys do this ride together will it be the Guitar Brothers team> I would hope that we do this in at least two if not three days of riding.
    Maybe leaving on a Friday evening after work and riding till we need rest, then get up and repeat. I think it would be possible to do this in two days, but three would give us a little more "spectator" scenic enjoyment time on the ride.
    Safe Rides,
    David and Sharon Goebel
    IBA 70020

Spyder Garage

I going to be tight on days off as we are planning for three weeks for the Owners event + we are planning Christmas in Vages so I did not want to have to take a day off for this trip. I like your idea of Friday after work and that would give us all day Saturday and Sunday.

Isn't it weird that in AMERICA our flag and our culture offend so many people......
    but our benefits don't?
    2015 F3S , White & Blue

Spyder Garage

2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PW2013STL View Post
    I going to be tight on days off as we are planning for three weeks for the Owners event + we are planning Christmas in Veges so I did not want to have to take a day off for this trip. I like your idea of Friday after work and that would give us all day Saturday and Sunday.
    Les, would you be going solo or with Kathy? I'm thinking late July maybe, or later in August (8/4 - 8/7)
    PapaHotel, would any time be better for you?
    My current schedule is

Spyderfest (4/25-4/30)
    SpyderSpin (5/26-5/28)
    Smackdab (6/24)
    2017 IBR RIDE IN SADDLESORE 1000 (7/5) (Ends in Faribault, my hometown, then many are riding up to MSP for IBR conclusion)
    Deadwood Trike rally (7/11-7/16 Though Sharon thinks we might not be able to get her schedule cleared, I would ride out 7/14-7/16 solo)
    Roadside/alongside support or tag along the IBA GREAT LAKES SS3K as it passes through Minnesota on 8/19 or 8/26 (they should be entering Grand Portage about 8 AM, Passing through St.Paul at 1, stopping at Northfield Big Steer Flying J at 2 and departing through Albert Lea at 3:30 Ish)

That's all for my planning for now.
    Safe Rides,
    David and Sharon Goebel
    IBA 70020

Spyder Garage

Les, would you be going solo or with Kathy? I'm thinking late July maybe, or later in August (8/4 - 8/7)
    PapaHotel, would any time be better for you?
    My current schedule is

Spyderfest (4/25-4/30)
    SpyderSpin (5/26-5/28)
    Smackdab (6/24)
    2017 IBR RIDE IN SADDLESORE 1000 (7/5) (Ends in Faribault, my hometown, then many are riding up to MSP for IBR conclusion)
    Deadwood Trike rally (7/11-7/16 Though Sharon thinks we might not be able to get her schedule cleared, I would ride out 7/14-7/16 solo)
    Roadside/alongside support or tag along the IBA GREAT LAKES SS3K as it passes through Minnesota on 8/19 or 8/26 (they should be entering Grand Portage about 8 AM, Passing through St.Paul at 1, stopping at Northfield Big Steer Flying J at 2 and departing through Albert Lea at 3:30 Ish)

That's all for my planning for now.
    Kathy would be coming. July or Aug will work for us as well.

but our benefits don't?
    2015 F3S , White & Blue

Spyder Garage

Default Jay Cooke State Park roads

Jay Cooke Area folks, is MN 210 (AKA Oldenberg Parkway) open all the way through Jay Cooke State Park? I'd like to add that route to my potential Around MN ride.
    Safe Rides,
    David and Sharon Goebel
    IBA 70020

Memorial Member
    Spyder Garage

Jay Cooke Area folks, is MN 210 (AKA Oldenberg Parkway) open all the way through Jay Cooke State Park? I'd like to add that route to my potential Around MN ride.
    As of right now 210 is not open. I've been told it could be this summer though.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Spyder Owner Since June '08 & April '12

Spyder Garage

Thanks Paula, I thought I remembered that road got washed out or something a couple years back, or maybe it was just normal seasonal closing or something.

BTW our anticipated "Around MN" route has us passing by Caswell's on the first day, before heading up to the arrowhead/north shore.

Our plan is to start Friday sometime around Red Wing, up to the NS by Friday night, Grand Portage, to Moorehead on Sat, passing through Ely, Baudette, Warroad, Roseau, And Thief River Falls.

Sunday's ride down the the SW corner of MN, across to the SE corner, back up to RW. About 1500+miles over three days.

We're thinking mid to late July or August time-frame, nothing definite yet. Invitations open to any who want to do all or even a part once we narrow down the date.
    Safe Rides,
    David and Sharon Goebel
    IBA 70020

Spyder Garage

Default might be interested

would like to meet somewhere and travel some with you I will keep watching the posts

Spyder Garage

RustyNail, I'm making a list of interested folks that I'll try to contact as well as posting here once we get the dates locked in.
    Our tentative plan is to stay in/around Moorehead on Saturday night coming from the north and points east, then Sunday morning heading south.
    Looking forward to meeting/seeing you along the way!
    Safe Rides,
    David and Sharon Goebel
    IBA 70020

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

This sounds like an interesting ride. Let me know when, I'd like to join in if schedule is open.

Spyder Garage

Around MN.JPG
    Looks good enjoy & report back on actual miles & time to complete sure cant do my state like that

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Spyder Garage

We're looking at mid to late July (after the July 4th weekend) or early in to mid August before the Spyder Rendezvous.
    Safe Rides,
    David and Sharon Goebel
    IBA 70020