Invalid Emails
    Eastern Québec, Canada, Earth, Solar System
    Spyder Garage

Exclamation Did you ever get the check engine/limp mode and then it went away?

Well,

My most excellent dealer (www.loisellesports.com) just taught me something.

Last week, when starting my Spyder RT-S, I got the dreaded "Check Engine" light. I started to drive and it was in limp mode, but, as soon as I stopped and restarted, all was good.

The Spyder did this twice on the same day and never again. It runs great now.

Sooooo, since I was due for my 5000 KMS service (3000 miles), I called my dealer to book an appointment and I mentionned the "Check Engine" thing.

His answer: "That's normal, the bike was just reminding you to get your oil change done, the light won't come back once its flashed twice. The limp mode was part of that same reminder."

What?! I asked: "You mean to tell me the bike will remind me of every service interval this way?".

He says: "Yep, it's a feature to remind owners to get their servicing done, but if they don't go to a dealer and have the ECM reset, the warning goes away on its own (such as for owners who do their own maintenance)"

Well.....

You learn something new every day.

V.
    Last edited by Vordak; 07-06-2010 at 07:20 AM. Reason: typo

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

WOW. That is good to know. I thought my Spyder was possessed. It's been doing that for about a month . It's at the DR's now and I hope to be back on the road this week.

Spyder Garage

Never heard that one before and as I recall I was told to service at 600, and 6000 miles. My Spyder did that before my 600 mile service and I was told my check engine light flashed due to me lugging the engine 277 times. I shift up at NO LESS than 4000 rpm and usually between 5000 and 5500 rpm. They reset my unit and things have been good since. Funny how different mechanics have different knowlege and remedies.
    Wheeler~ Spyder rydin' tyre syde down!

2013 Spyder RTS SE5
    [CENTER]Respect is common ground we all can share![CENTER]

Doru the Destroyer-Spyder Photo Investigator docdoru's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Vordak View Post
    His answer: "That's normal, the bike was just reminding you to get your oil change done, the light won't come back once its flashed twice. The limp mode was part of that same reminder.
    What?! I asked: "You mean to tell me the bike will remind me of every service interval this way?".
    He says: "Yep, it's a feature to remind owners to get their servicing done, but if they don't go to a dealer and have the ECM reset, the warning goes away on its own (such as for owners who do their own maintenance)"
    Well.....You learn something new every day. V.
    I don't think so...
    2013 "Silver Dream" GG Taurus
    2008 "Silver Dream" Spyder RS
    Einstein's theory of drag racing: Time and Speed are Relative.
    Shut up and Race!

Spyder Garage

This why I have what i have in my sig.
    Remember, anything is possible if you don't know what you're talking about.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Lamonster View Post

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I don't think that is right. More accurately, I certainly hope that is not right. I have been traveling at 70 on the highway before when my Spyder RT went into limp mode, dropping me down below 50 and nearly causing an accident. So, I certainly hope that BRP has not engineered a safety defect like that into it's maintenance schedule - and I'll give them more credit than that.

Well,

Last week, when starting my Spyder RT-S, I got the dreaded "Check Engine" light. I started to drive and it was in limp mode, but, as soon as I stopped and restarted, all was good.

Sooooo, since I was due for my 5000 KMS service (3000 miles), I called my dealer to book an appointment and I mentionned the "Check Engine" thing.

His answer: "That's normal, the bike was just reminding you to get your oil change done, the light won't come back once its flashed twice. The limp mode was part of that same reminder."

Well.....

V.

Spyderless Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Lamonster View Post
    Light travels faster than ''sound'', But once most dealers[salesperson]
    Opens their mouth they don't ''sound'' so ''bright''.

Spyder Garage

I was told the same thing Vordak said on a pontiac firebird , so i ignored it and the transmission went out. I can laugh about it now it's been over 10 years

I did have a false alarm with limp mode, but I took it to the dealership at approx 5200 miles. I did learn how from the forum to check the code( which I will never do again) thus wiping it off so the system

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by TicketBait View Post
    I was told the same thing Vordak said on a pontiac firebird , so i ignored it and the transmission went out. I can laugh about it now it's been over 10 years

I did have a false alarm with limp mode, but I took it to the dealership at approx 5200 miles. I did learn how from the forum to check the code( which I will never do again) thus wiping it off so the system
    Checking the code will not wipe it off the system. Unless there is a program or hardware defect, past codes are stored until erased purposely, through BUDS. Only active codes show on the Spyder display, but past codes should show on BUDS. If the error registry was empty, there is another problem, yet to be understood and resolved.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Default Ridiculous

I think Vordak's dealer is full of horse pucky. I mean ... I do believe Vordak is providing a true account of what the dealer guy said, but:

What the dealer told Vordak is like saying, "your wheels are gonna fall off to remind you to rotate your tires." I couldn't imagine being out on the highway and all of a sudden have a cylinder retard on fuel, the bike go into limp mode ... because it's service time; and if such mechanical behavior were a legitimate part of the bike, they'd talk about it in the owners manual; and most certainly the shop manual, both of which I have.

Paul

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SilverSurfer View Post
    they'd talk about it in the owners manual; and most certainly the shop manual, both of which I have.

Paul
    That's my thoughts exactly. My dealer's been top notch so far, so I'm undecided...

V.

Spyder Garage

Default And of course ...

Blue Knights rule

Spyder Garage

That's my thoughts exactly. My dealer's been top notch so far, so I'm undecided...

V.
    I am intimately familiar with the systems on the Rt and the BUDS system. There is not a maintenance reminder computer function on the RT. You were given a line. Press mode/set/blinker cancel all at once once your spyder has booted up and tell us what the code reads on the dash.
    Back amongst the living May 2021
    2022 RT Limited Hyper Silver

Out to Pasture:
    2013 ST Limited , Black Currant
    2022 F3L , Dark Edition
    2021 RTL , Chalk Chrome
    2013 RT Limited , Circuit Yellow Metallic
    2008 GS SM5 , Millenium Yellow
    2020 RT Limited Petrol Dark
    2014 RT Limited Champagne Black
    2012 RT Limited White
    2010 Timeless Black RTS SM5
    2010 Orbital Blue RTS SM5
    2008 GS SM5 PE 1941
    2008 GS SM5 PE2011

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

V.
    They are a great dealer, but I think whoever told you this is getting the "maintenance soon" mixed up from the atv's. I'll ask Rob or Etienne about it next time I'm there.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SilverSurfer View Post
    Blue Knights rule

Ride With Pride.

Spyder Garage

have 6500km on mine --never heard this -never had this
    Outlander fairing - Fox-shock - BajaRon Swaybar - Hankook tire/ back - 165/50 Imperial tires front & longer front shocks - GIVI Topase - Shad sidecases -heated grips - new seats

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by widowmaker2011 View Post
    I am intimately familiar with the systems on the Rt and the BUDS system. There is not a maintenance reminder computer function on the RT. You were given a line. Press mode/set/blinker cancel all at once once your spyder has booted up and tell us what the code reads on the dash.
    P0000

V.

Spyder Garage

P0000

V.
    P0000 is a phantom code. It does not mean anything. Not sure why it appears. I got it to appear on my Spyder by displaying the codes when the Spyder was running, instead of just with the key turned on. I did have another code at the time. It should disappear on its own with the key out of the ignition for a while. I was also able to get it to disappear by disconnecting the battery for a while. It should not cause limp mode, by itself. If it does, there is a software problem that needs to be corrected.
    -Scotty
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    P0000 is a phantom code. It does not mean anything. Not sure why it appears. I got it to appear on my Spyder by displaying the codes when the Spyder was running, instead of just with the key turned on. I did have another code at the time. It should disappear on its own with the key out of the ignition for a while. I was also able to get it to disappear by disconnecting the battery for a while. It should not cause limp mode, by itself. If it does, there is a software problem that needs to be corrected.
    Scotty , I kinda agree but it isn't really phantom ,its true description in OBD II is : P0000 No Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTC) Present

In other words , all is good!
    Back amongst the living May 2021
    2022 RT Limited Hyper Silver

Out to Pasture:
    2013 ST Limited , Black Currant
    2022 F3L , Dark Edition
    2021 RTL , Chalk Chrome
    2013 RT Limited , Circuit Yellow Metallic
    2008 GS SM5 , Millenium Yellow
    2020 RT Limited Petrol Dark
    2014 RT Limited Champagne Black
    2012 RT Limited White
    2010 Timeless Black RTS SM5
    2010 Orbital Blue RTS SM5
    2008 GS SM5 PE 1941
    2008 GS SM5 PE2011

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by widowmaker2011 View Post
    Scotty , I kinda agree but it isn't really phantom ,its true description in OBD II is : P0000 No Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTC) Present

In other words , all is good!
    Thanks. BRP does not assign it a meaning in their manual. I hadn't checked to see that they actually follwed the OBD II protocol. Now we have to figure how I could get P0524 and P0000 to display at the same time. They would seem to be mutually exclusive.
    -Scotty

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Default Did you ever get the check engine/limp mode and then it went away?

Hi Vordak", thanks for the post because that happened to me here too, but now thanks to your post I can relax

Regards Peter

Well,

Well.....

V.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by peterRT View Post
    Hi Vordak", thanks for the post because that happened to me here too, but now thanks to your post I can relax

Regards Peter
    For starters, this is a way old post--as in 2010.

The information concerning the check engine light/limp mode is to remind you to get your oil changed--is not correct.

The situation does happen, but IMO, it is the letting you know it is in charge. In the event of reoccurring check engine/limp mode, it is time for the dealer to look at it.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red