Spyder Garage

Default New Hitch - FJRay

Hi FJRay, Just wondering how things are going with your frame mounted trailer hitch? Just curious as I also was going to attempt to make one but changed my mind. Thanks and safe riding!
    Baja Ron sway bar, Spyder Dock, Highway Brackets,Trident pegs, Spyder Decals, Signal Mirror led strips, Utopia backrest, 5 pc. Hopnel liner set, cargo nets side/rear doors. Mesh bag front trunk, foam grips, spare trunk key, passenger armrests/storage pouch's, ram mounts/GPS, Drink holder,Phone, Passenger clamp-on drink holder, rear trunk tap light, custom plate frame, spyder fastener bolts, adjustable lower mirror wind deflectors, F4 Customs windshield -wide,tall,clear,vent,Chrome Spyder grill.

Spyder Garage

I got held up waiting for material and then mother nature dumped a buch of snow. It's moving along slowly while I engineer as I go. It should be done in a few days and then I'll have to wait for spring weather for trial runs. It's strong enough to hang the bike from so I don't expect issues. I tend to use a fair amount of overkill .
    Last edited by fjray; 01-19-2017 at 12:54 PM.

Spyder Garage

Default Good to Hear.....

glad your still on track. 'ing to see the outcome even pre-tested. Seems a better way to pull your trailer....
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Default finished

Got some time to myself so I finished up for now. Subject to change later. I must say that they didn't leave a lot of room to add pieces but I think I got a good result. It would be nice to have everything symmetrical but the machine isn't so the hitch isn't. The swing arm is much wider on the belt side so everything needed to be moved outboard to allow for suspension travel. I'm not going to type the whole thing but will be glad to discuss it with folks that want to know. Here is some pics I hope.DSCN3504.jpgDSCN3510.jpgDSCN3512.jpgDSCN3513.jpgDSCN3515.jpg

Spyder Garage

I guess you can only do 5 pics so here is the last one.DSCN3516.jpg

The picture with my fat finger in it is where there are two unused threaded holes in the frame that I used for the upper mount. If you know where they are you don't have to take the rear module off.
    The push/pull tubes are attached to the inboard side of the passenger foot rests which is about the strongest point available. It took a lot of tweaking to get the tubes bent just right to clear everything but it all clears. I had to scrap the receiver idea due to lack of room between the tire and fender but if I don't want to look at it when not in use, two bolts release the rear section. Will add more info after testing when the snow is gone although I did stress test for tongue weight by standing on the hitch and it holds my 270 lbs just fine.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default THE FRAME HITCH

Quote Originally Posted by fjray View Post

The picture with my fat finger in it is where there are two unused threaded holes in the frame that I used for the upper mount. If you know where they are you don't have to take the rear module off.
    The push/pull tubes are attached to the inboard side of the passenger foot rests which is about the strongest point available. It took a lot of tweaking to get the tubes bent just right to clear everything but it all clears. I had to scrap the receiver idea due to lack of room between the tire and fender but if I don't want to look at it when not in use, two bolts release the rear section. Will add more info after testing when the snow is gone although I did stress test for tongue weight by standing on the hitch and it holds my 270 lbs just fine.
    Nice job........ and that's almost 7 times the Max tongue weight for the OEM Hitch ...... So pulling 400 lbs isn't going to be an issue either .......... Mike

Very Active Member Roadster Renovations's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Looks very good. Very strong with a great deal of potential.

Spyder Garage

Default New Hitch - FJRay

Thanks FJRay, Nice start or maybe even the finished project after testing.................safe riding!
    Baja Ron sway bar, Spyder Dock, Highway Brackets,Trident pegs, Spyder Decals, Signal Mirror led strips, Utopia backrest, 5 pc. Hopnel liner set, cargo nets side/rear doors. Mesh bag front trunk, foam grips, spare trunk key, passenger armrests/storage pouch's, ram mounts/GPS, Drink holder,Phone, Passenger clamp-on drink holder, rear trunk tap light, custom plate frame, spyder fastener bolts, adjustable lower mirror wind deflectors, F4 Customs windshield -wide,tall,clear,vent,Chrome Spyder grill.

Spyder Garage

Looks great! I want a hitch for my 14 RTS, but my husband doesn't like the idea of the hitch attaching to the swing arm, and keeps saying he's going to make one. I'm going to show this thread to him. Maybe it will give him ideas. Thanks for posting!

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Hey FJ, good job! That worked out a lot simpler than I expected it to! I would suggest you get it patented but that's a super expensive process to go through, and it doesn't take much for someone to circumvent it. But I do think you ought to approach Big Bike Parts or motorcycle-hitch.com and see if you can work out some sort of licensing/royalty arrangement with them. They're in a much better position to market it than you may be, plus they probably have the liability insurance to help protect you. It looks to me like the installation time shouldn't be any more, and maybe even less, than for the BRP style of hitch. If nothing else a set of detailed drawings would be great so we can make our own.

If the passenger foot pegs are adjusted up or down does that move the front end of the tubes also. If so, I'm guessing it would make hardly any difference in how the hitch hangs, right?

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Default lighting

Where did you tie in the wiring at for the trailer?
    2010 RT , Orbital Blue

Spyder Garage

Like anything it looks easier than it is. If I were to build another one I don't think it would take near as long and probably would not use tube. I remains to be seen if there as adequate suspension clearence . The tape measuse says it should clear but to be sure I need some full load test rides so I'm waiting for snow melt.
    As far as wiring it's just a matter of reading the instructions that come with the kit you buy.

Spyder Garage

Default Finding the unused threaded holes in the frame?

You made the comment "If you know where they are you don't have to take the rear module off." Where and how would you do it now? And do you recall what size bolts went into them?
    Thanks,

Quote Originally Posted by fjray;12

Spyder Garage

PM sent.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

vv
    Question: If you wanted a receiver style hitch; couldn't you have just extended everything out beyond the rear fender?
    Or would it have had to stick out too far?

(Okay: TWO questions...)
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

It would cantilever the weight out a bit but the main reason for wanting it was to be able to remove it when not in use for a little cleaner looking installation like you see on lots of goldwings. There just wasn't enough working room between the tire and fender to hide it. It will be nice when mother nature melts the 3/4 mile of ice between me and pavement so I can function test it. Just my luck a buyer will show up for the RT and I won't know if it works or not cause I'll put the stock hitch on to sell it.