Thread: New to Spyders

Spyder Garage

Default New to Spyders

First of all, thank you for all the support from this group for my Dad Ursamajor. Sadly he passed the day before Father's Day, his cancer was in remission but his body never recovered. He was diagnosed 3 weeks after I was diagnosed with Colon Cancer, I beat it!!, so we talked a lot over the last couple years. I was able to learn a lot about him I never knew luckily.

I bought his bike from Mom so she can still ride. After riding sometimes the belt smells hot. I know he had installed a belt tensioner. How indepth is checking the alignment, and is there a downloadable maintenance manual somewhere? I am a mechanic by trade, cars and helicopters, so the ability is there just need the knowledge.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I've got nothing for you on the belt, but
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member OverHillAndDale's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Mike was a good friend of mine, and I met him through this forum because of our Spyders. I appreciate that he served his country in the Air Force.

You can download a manual here. http://www.operatorsguides.brp.com/I...adster&type=og

I helped your dad work on his bike (installed the sway bar) and will be happy to help you if you need it. You can PM me if you need to.

Dale
    2020- RT Limited
    Chalk White, Can-Am rear passenger armrests, Comfort Seat, Grip puppies, RAM Cup Holders, Providence RAM Mount
    FOBO2 TPMS
    Aluma MCTXL trailer
    BRP hitch
    Big Bike Parts wiring harness
    Permanent Smile!!!

Spyder Garage

Sounds like you've had a bit of a tough time over the last couple of years, I'm so sorry to hear of your loss but very glad you managed to win your personal battle - and I bet you're glad you got to spend some time with your Dad before his passing, even if it was due to the health challenges you were sharing. And of course, Welcome to SpyderLovers too!

As for the hot smell, OverH&D has you covered above & with personal knowledge of the Spyder too; but please do bear in mind that the smell may well be nothing to worry about - sometimes these things do just smell hot for no perceptible reason. It could be something you rode over or thru, or just something that's dripped or farted momentarily somewhere under the tupperware & you just stopped in time to find/smell it!! So if there's no 'clearly visible' reason that's easily found, don't put too much effort into tracking it down - like most things mechanical, they just smell occasionally, but in the case of the Spyders, it's more often than not for an inexplicable reason... so you should probably just

Ride More, Worry Less.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 01-18-2017 at 09:33 AM.

Very Active Member OverHillAndDale's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Austin - you need to become part of the local "Heart of Dixie Spyder Riders" group, and you need to sign up for the "Spyders on the Bayou" ride coming this March. You mom and dad made this trip - lots of great people and great dealers on this trip.
    2020- RT Limited
    Chalk White, Can-Am rear passenger armrests, Comfort Seat, Grip puppies, RAM Cup Holders, Providence RAM Mount
    FOBO2 TPMS
    Aluma MCTXL trailer
    BRP hitch
    Big Bike Parts wiring harness
    Permanent Smile!!!

Spyder Garage

Default Welcome. ..

Sorry to hear about your dad... it's nice you were able to have some time with him and find out the man he was. Your kinda special saving the ryde for your mom and know you will both still enjoy these special machines...as for the belt..they do get warm but the tension and alignment have a lot to do with it. Running the belt a bit to the loose side seems to help as well as keeping the recomment gap to the rear lip of the sproket. Doing it can be a bit time consuming but you should be able to do it with ease, knowing your background...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by OverHillAndDale View Post
    Austin - you need to become part of the local "Heart of Dixie Spyder Riders" group, and you need to sign up for the "Spyders on the Bayou" ride coming this March. You mom and dad made this trip - lots of great people and great dealers on this trip.
    I would love to, but I am saving my vacation for a Jeep trip to Moab when I finish building my new axles.

Spyder Garage

Thanks for the info. See ya'll on the road sometime.