Thread: Cruise Control

Spyder Garage

Default Cruise Control

Went riding today on the backroads of Middle Tennessee to a town called Hohenwald. Home of Detachment 1, 771st Maintenance Co, Tennessee Army National Guard.

It was very windy and when I tried cruise control for the first time, I can tell I need more practice. I don't know if it was the wind and/or just using it for the first time. Either way, I didn't feel very comfortable, so I need to practice more. I had a wonderful ride though!

Attached Images Attached Images
    2015 F3S SE6

2015 F3S SE6 , CanAm Red

SpyderLovers Sponsor
    Spyder Garage

Was there an issue with the cruise shutting off or did you just not feel comfortable maintaining speed? Remember that you can raise and lower your speed with the cruise set by using the up and down arrows.

2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

It took me a little while to get used to the cruise control, especially when coming up to a corner. Take some time you will get used to it
    2014 Spyder RTS

Tri Axis Handlebars
    Big Bike Trailer Harness
    Rivco Front Bumper (Black)
    Rivco Highway Pegs
    Ultimate Seat
    Garmin GPS
    Trailer Hitch
    Aluma XL Trailer
    Stainless Grill Covers
    Cupholder
    Spring Stiffeners
    Rivco Floorboards

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderAnn01 View Post
    Was there an issue with the cruise shutting off or did you just not feel comfortable maintaining speed? Remember that you can raise and lower your speed with the cruise set by using the up and down arrows.
    I think I just didn't feel comfortable with operating it. I was having some difficulties operating it as well. I was too concerned about the road, looking ahead, wind, and operating the cruise control at the same time. Will review the instructions in the manual before I try using it again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    2015 F3S SE6

2015 F3S SE6 , CanAm Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JayD View Post
    It took me a little while to get used to the cruise control, especially when coming up to a corner. Take some time you will get used to it
    Will do. Thanks.

2015 F3S SE6

2015 F3S SE6 , CanAm Red

Very Active Member armyspydervet's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 9tda1dr View Post
    Will do. Thanks.

Have you had your bike laser aligned? My Spyder felt like it was all over the place, especially in wind driving at speed. Once I got an alignment, it all went away.
    Chris

2016 F3-T SE6

Spyder Garage

I think I just didn't feel comfortable with operating it. I was having some difficulties operating it as well. I was too concerned about the road, looking ahead, wind, and operating the cruise control at the same time.
    That will just come in time. First time I tried the cruise it freaked me out a bit, and I use it a lot in my car.

It's just building up the comfort and familiarity with how the bike feels so that you have the spare capacity to do things like nudge the cruise lever up and down in traffic. When I first had the spyder it was taking all my capacity just to ride it. Now I'm used to it (3000+ miles) I can almost operate it subconciously and I instinctively know where the cruise lever is, which direction does what etc. without looking.

Just keep riding and it will all come together.
    | 2015 F3-S | Heated Grips | USB Ports | RAM X-Grip | RT Sway Bar | '2 Up' Rear Shock | SHAD Bag Kit | Oxford Aqua 50 Dry Bag | BRP Rider Backrest |

Spyder Garage

When you stomp on the brakes, or slide the on-off switch to the left, it shuts down immediately. Too bad there isn't a cancel position, but the cruise works well and is both smooth and accurate. This is a very welcome feature for those doing long distance touring.

Spyder Garage

Default Relax...

you will get the hang of it with practine on a better day...glad the trip was a good one and you enjoyed the ryde...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by armyspydervet View Post
    Have you had your bike laser aligned? My Spyder felt like it was all over the place, especially in wind driving at speed. Once I got an alignment, it all went away.
    No, I haven't. I will have to look into that service. Thanks!
    2015 F3S SE6

2015 F3S SE6 , CanAm Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by monkeyboymorton View Post
    That will just come in time. First time I tried the cruise it freaked me out a bit, and I use it a lot in my car.

It's just building up the comfort and familiarity with how the bike feels so that you have the spare capacity to do things like nudge the cruise lever up and down in traffic. When I first had the spyder it was taking all my capacity just to ride it. Now I'm used to it (3000+ miles) I can almost operate it subconciously and I instinctively know where the cruise lever is, which direction does what etc. without looking.

Just keep riding and it will all come together.
    I agree. Thanks. Will do.
    2015 F3S SE6

2015 F3S SE6 , CanAm Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PapaHotel View Post
    When you stomp on the brakes, or slide the on-off switch to the left, it shuts down immediately. Too bad there isn't a cancel position, but the cruise works well and is both smooth and accurate. This is a very welcome feature for those doing long distance touring.
    That's good to hear. I love cruise on my car so I'm optimistic I will also love it on my Spyder. Thanks!
    2015 F3S SE6

2015 F3S SE6 , CanAm Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Chupaca View Post
    you will get the hang of it with practine on a better day...glad the trip was a good one and you enjoyed the ryde...
    Relaxing is good advice. I think I was just tense because it's still all new. I'm going to keep trying. Thanks for the words!
    2015 F3S SE6

2015 F3S SE6 , CanAm Red

Spyder Garage

Took me a little while to get comfortable with the cruise, too. I'm coming from a virtually NO motorcycling background. A few hours on the Spyder just tooling around on the backroads really goes a long way in getting familiar/comfortable with all the controls!
    UCLA F3S (Russ): ('16 F3S SE6 Special Series "The Batpod") - DJ PC V, K&N AF, RLS Punisher Custom Exhaust, 7Jurock 27" Windshield, Corbin Dual Tour Saddle, Shad Rack/Bags, Bajaron Swaybar, BRP Signature Light, Lamonster "Parts Suite" (LED Fog/Headlights, GPS Mount/Garmin Zumo 660LM, RIP Boards, IPS Caps, Foam Grips), Can Am 2-Up Rear Shock; ('16 RT-S SE6 "Gipsy Danger") ​- BRP Adjustable Backrest, Bajaron Swaybar, Magic Mirror Mounts, Lamonster Dual Power Plate w/Large X-Grip

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by UCLA F3S View Post
    Took me a little while to get comfortable with the cruise, too. I'm coming from a virtually NO motorcycling background. A few hours on the Spyder just tooling around on the backroads really goes a long way in getting familiar/comfortable with all the controls!
    I agree. Hoping to get out today and doing some "tooling around on the back roads!" Can't wait!

2015 F3S SE6

2015 F3S SE6 , CanAm Red

Spyder Garage

Relaxing is good advice. I think I was just tense because it's still all new. I'm going to keep trying. Thanks for the words!
    One of the biggest improvements I made on my F3-S ryde was to add Grip Puppies to the handle bar grips which in turn allows me to hold a lighter touch on the handle bars. This translates into reduced oscillations produced by the ryder. With the variable speed assist power steering, the learning curve on the Spyder is generally a bit extended but once you figure out how to tame the oscillations, it is divine.
    Last edited by Capt. Bob; 01-30-2017 at 06:09 AM.

Spyder Garage

Will give this a try. Thanks.

2015 F3S SE6

2015 F3S SE6 , CanAm Red