Spyder Garage

Default BUMP IN DRIVE BELT

Ok, so we're on a short ride yesterday, stop to stretch for a minute, while standing at the back of the bike I see a bump in the middle of my drive belt. I think oh crap I have a rock under the belt. So my friends and I roll it forward to get the rock out, and there is no rock. Just a bump in the belt. I wish I had taken a picture, but it reminded me of like a steel belt breaking in a tire and causing a blister or knot. Has anyone experienced this ? I will take it to the shop Wednesday and have them check it out, but I was just wondering if I was the only one ?
    " Fat people are harder to kidnap "

2015 RTS-SE6 Circuit Yellow
    Akrapovic Exhaust - BajaRon Sway bar
    Rivco rear Trunk Rack
    Lamonster LED Head Lights - LED Fog Lights
    Spyder Cuff - Hwy Pegs
    Ultimate Midrider Seat w/ Yellow Trim - Rear Armrests
    Spyderpops Bumpskid with LED - Full view Turn Signal
    R/T Front grill Inserts
    3rd Brake light - Saddle bad LED
    Baker Built Air Wings
    Doc's Spring Stiffeners - Vibration Dampener
    TRICLED underground LED'S

Spyder Garage

the plys of your belt are separating, or delaminating if you want to think of it that way.

if the blister or bump looks like trouble, it probably is. Besides tension, visual is "what you got" with these belts.
    Flatlander, Navy Veteran, Widower
    Loved my 2014 RTS SE6 Pearl white
    but have a new love now,
    my 2017 RTS SE6 Champagne metallic (Champ)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I'm sorry to hear of your belt problem. It sure sounds as if a replacement will be needed.
    How many miles do you have on your bike?

Please try to get us a picture of this...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default BELT BUMP

Quote Originally Posted by tmcquain View Post
    Ok, so we're on a short ride yesterday, stop to stretch for a minute, while standing at the back of the bike I see a bump in the middle of my drive belt. I think oh crap I have a rock under the belt. So my friends and I roll it forward to get the rock out, and there is no rock. Just a bump in the belt. I wish I had taken a picture, but it reminded me of like a steel belt breaking in a tire and causing a blister or knot. Has anyone experienced this ? I will take it to the shop Wednesday and have them check it out, but I was just wondering if I was the only one ?
    #1. I'm betting the dealer will tell you replace replace replace only $350+....... ...#2. but first , look inside , are teeth missing ????....because it they aren't tell them the belt is defective and they should replace under warranty !!!!!! #3. buy a belt ( on-line ) and have it ready, the one you have may never break .... jmho..... Mike
    Last edited by BLUEKNIGHT911; 01-16-2017 at 03:04 PM.

Spyder Garage

A little over 5000 miles. If I got one, there is no way I could put it on, I would have to get the dealer to. Most want to sell you the part, correct ?
    " Fat people are harder to kidnap "

2015 RTS-SE6 Circuit Yellow
    Akrapovic Exhaust - BajaRon Sway bar
    Rivco rear Trunk Rack
    Lamonster LED Head Lights - LED Fog Lights
    Spyder Cuff - Hwy Pegs
    Ultimate Midrider Seat w/ Yellow Trim - Rear Armrests
    Spyderpops Bumpskid with LED - Full view Turn Signal
    R/T Front grill Inserts
    3rd Brake light - Saddle bad LED
    Baker Built Air Wings
    Doc's Spring Stiffeners - Vibration Dampener
    TRICLED underground LED'S

Spyder Garage

Default Hard to say...

something may have penetrated the belt but not enough to go through. If so your still good to ryde but the chances of it giving you a problem do increase a lot. Best would be to replace it. As Mike (BLUEKNIGHT911) mentioned you can get good deals online and other parts sellers like cheapcycleparts.com and save some bucks. This way you will only have to deal with the shop labor...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

If you do decide to have it replaced you can always ask your dealer to match the price from cheapcycleparts. They sell the belt for $309.99 with free shipping. Sales tax may still make it cheaper to purchase online though. Doesn't cost anything to ask for a discount.

On my 2010 RT I rode from Michigan to Nevada spitting teeth from the belt. I knew something was wrong but I didn't say anything, the belt finally broke and it was replaced under warranty. There was no sign of rock damage on it.

Last week we replaced the belt on my friend's F3 Ltd, she had caught a rock or something in it and had ridden with the belt like that from WI to NV. Who knows when it would have broken it could have been on the next ride or next year. 2016-12-14_09-07-26_009.jpg
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Belts go in the $280 - $350 range. Install adds another $150 or so. A replacement belt--if done by your shop--will run around $500 not counting the tow fee if any.

Belts are supposed to last 75,000 miles. If you ride through rocky anything, that can come to an end quickly. Rocks were my downfall both times. First time--we just had to go down a country road to explore a campsite--spouse picked up a rock--which led to replacement. Second time--right in my driveway. Wanted to get the out to early. Became stuck in the gravel. When I gunned it--it ate rocks and snapped the belt in half.

Costs can be scary. Most of us are also members of the $350 oil change club too.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

With only 5K miles on it that belt should be covered under warranty if there are no signs of rock damage anywhere on rest of belt. If there are signs of rock damage dealer might squawk but push the issue.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderAnn01 View Post
    If you do decide to have it replaced you can always ask your dealer to match the price from cheapcycleparts. They sell the belt for $309.99 with free shipping. Sales tax may still make it cheaper to purchase online though. Doesn't cost anything to ask for a discount.

On my 2010 RT I rode from Michigan to Nevada spitting teeth from the belt. I knew something was wrong but I didn't say anything, the belt finally broke and it was replaced under warranty. There was no sign of rock damage on it.

Last week we replaced the belt on my friend's F3 Ltd, she had caught a rock or something in it and had ridden with the belt like that from WI to NV. Who knows when it would have broken it could have been on the next ride or next year. 2016-12-14_09-07-26_009.jpg
    If that had been mine I would probably cut the little projection off and continue running it. The reinforcing fiber is a continuous spiral and I'm sure the belts are well over sized so the there wouldn't have been much reduction in total strength. Kind of like the belt type tracks on tractors. A rebuilder of them told us in a Lion's lunch presentation that they will retread a belt with breaks at the edge, but not in the middle. They'll retread a track with up to about a 20% reduction in width from breaks. I know a tractor track ain't the same as a Spyder drive belt, but the principle is the same.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default 75,000 MILES FOR BELT

Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post
    Belts go in the $280 - $350 range. Install adds another $150 or so. A replacement belt--if done by your shop--will run around $500 not counting the tow fee if any.

Belts are supposed to last 75,000 miles. If you ride through rocky anything, that can come to an end quickly. Rocks were my downfall both times. First time--we just had to go down a country road to explore a campsite--spouse picked up a rock--which led to replacement. Second time--right in my driveway. Wanted to get the out to early. Became stuck in the gravel. When I gunned it--it ate rocks and snapped the belt in half.

Costs can be scary. Most of us are also members of the $350 oil change club too.
    Last I heard from Spyderjockey who has 125,000 + miles ..... He is on the orig. belt now ..... I think if the tension is kept on the low side 250,000 is reasonable ....Kevlar is very tuff stuff...jmho.....Mike

Spyder Garage

Default My turn to guess.

Could it have gotten bitten by a mosquito? Lol!

Spyder Garage

Default Bump in my belt too

Quote Originally Posted by tmcquain View Post
    I had a bump in my belt too. I though it was a stone so I took
    to it have the dealer check it out. MY 2014 RT-s had 16,000 miles
    on it at the time. I was told to replace it but decided to see if it got
    any worse. My RT now has over 100,000 miles on it and it doesn't
    look any different. It's up to you to do what you want, a new belt
    is over $300.
    Chuck

Spyder Garage

Default The bump IS a little stone.....

If the stone is not big enough, it could be captured by the belt fibers and not push all the way through. You can't see it from the "inside" of the belt (teeth side) because the belt tries to "heal" itself and fills in right around the stone. Running with the stone in it makes the stone smooth on the inside and it looks just like the belt especially after picking up rubber off the sprockets. If it is too small that it did not puncture the outside of the belt AND if it is not within about 1/8" of the belt's edge, I'm sorry to say that it should only last about 80,000 + more miles!! Got a stone in mine right now. Keep an eye on it and ride on. IF you decide to change the belt, make sure you install the "missing belt guard" at the SAME TIME!
    NEVER, look straight up at a bird ....NEVER drink downstream from the herd ....and NEVER, EVER squat....with your spurs on!!!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoMtnSpyder View Post
    If that had been mine I would probably cut the little projection off and continue running it. The reinforcing fiber is a continuous spiral and I'm sure the belts are well over sized so the there wouldn't have been much reduction in total strength. Kind of like the belt type tracks on tractors. A rebuilder of them told us in a Lion's lunch presentation that they will retread a belt with breaks at the edge, but not in the middle. They'll retread a track with up to about a 20% reduction in width from breaks. I know a tractor track ain't the same as a Spyder drive belt, but the principle is the same.
    I would have done the same as you Mac but her husband wanted it replaced.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Default Belt

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderAnn01 View Post

Dealer here will not replace anything with aftermarket period, it has to be bought through them nothing can be brought in from outside. They will also not install any farkles, tires other than Kenda bought from them, makes buying a bike from them hard.
    Greetings from Idaho

2014 RT-S,
    Barjaron swaybar, chome luggage rack, Ram Mount GPS, 12 volt dash outlet, spyderflap mudflap, Rivco flag mounts, drink2go and custom handlebar drink holders,Driver Backrest,Tri-Axis Handlebars, TRICLed turn signal lights. Custon Dynamic Magic Strobe Brake Modulator, Triple Dash Pouches, "Squared Away" Laser Alignment, Spyderpops Bumpskid, TricLed "Knightrider" LED

2014 RT , White (Mine) Cognac (wifes)

Spyder Garage

And what is the name of this paragon of virtue? I do a lot of riding in Idaho and would not want to get stuck near this dealership.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

Default Then you don't want to "get stuck".....

...in the Hanover, PA area either! Wanted a fortune to even BALANCE a rear wheel with a tire they didn't install. Told them no thanks... Ride-On was cheaper, works better, and provides a little extra insurance. Other than a decent price on the new machine I'm not even a little bit happy with them.

Quote Originally Posted by pegasus1300 View Post
    And what is the name of this paragon of virtue? I do a lot of riding in Idaho and would not want to get stuck near this dealership.
    NEVER, look straight up at a bird ....NEVER drink downstream from the herd ....and NEVER, EVER squat....with your spurs on!!!